• « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Sport (merged thread)

#141 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 15 November 2005 - 09:56 PM

I always enjoyed playing basketball... I wasn't any good at it, but then since when has that been different in any sport I have ever played (except chess...)??? I suck so badly at every sport, but I really enjoy watching and talking about them. And occasionally playing, as long as it isn't competitive. ;)
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#142 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 15 November 2005 - 10:06 PM

I must admit I was most impressed with Owen against Argentina the other day... If he plays like that in the World Cup, I shall be most impressed!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#143 User is offline   garden_rake 

• First Sword

Posted 15 November 2005 - 10:27 PM

Tiste Simeon said:

I must admit I was most impressed with Owen against Argentina the other day... If he plays like that in the World Cup, I shall be most impressed!

nope not for me.... he didnt play well at all! up until the last 5 minutes he was very poor and more of a liability. the only reason he's in the team is because we dont have any world class forwards to take his place - defoe has the potential but hasnt been given the chance. Compare him to shevchenko, adriano, henry, vieri, torres etc and he's terrible. he had pace but not any more, he's too small to be great in the air (yes he did score 2 headers t'other day but they were chances ANY striker should put away), he cant go past people, he doesnt intentionally create chances for others enough, and his finishing is ok but not world class by any means. IMO he's the classic overrated english striker....

#144 User is offline   dktorode 

• Luck is my middle name, Mind you, my first name is Bad."
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 15 November 2005 - 10:42 PM

Hey Hey Hey enough now!!

South Africa won't lose to the Welsh so i'd save my rantings for after the game if i were you!
Just to save face:p
...┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐...

Why dont they make the whole plane out of that black box stuff?

#145 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 15 November 2005 - 11:54 PM

Yeah. He's terrible. He's only the sixth highest England scorer ever. I could do that in my sleep...;)
Doesn't the fact that he played an almost non-existant role in the game, and still scored two goals suggest to you that he might actually be quite good?:Erm:
Of course, like Beckham, the media don't like him anyway, so theres no way he can actually please anyone anymore. After all, his name isn't Wayne, so he's screwed, really.
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#146 User is offline   Asheroth 

• High Fist

Posted 16 November 2005 - 07:03 AM

Australian rugby is absolute rubbish at the moment. I wouldn't be suprised if we lost to Tonga.

#147 User is offline   garden_rake 

• First Sword

Posted 16 November 2005 - 12:54 PM

caladanbrood said:

Doesn't the fact that he played an almost non-existant role in the game, and still scored two goals suggest to you that he might actually be quite good?:Erm:

erm no... if he played a big role in the game and scored two goals then id think he's quite good, like i said they were easy chances any striker should put away like most of his goals invariably are.

i disagree on the media thing as well, id say theyre more often than not favourable for owen (of course not compared to roon ;))

i concede that he has a decent international record but isnt that to be expected of anyone up front for england? the chances he takes are virtually always laid on for him, its a long time since ive seen him pick the ball up, go past a player, then finish. He is a good poacher, very important for a striker of course, but he just doesnt have enough of anything else to warrant his apparent 'undroppable status' (possibly same problem as becks?)

If i were stood next to sven right now (first id shake his hand for dabblin in ulrika :)) but then id recommend defoe be given the next two friendlies from the start at least and see how he clicks with rooney

#148 User is offline   Rich the Great 

• First Sword

Posted 16 November 2005 - 02:09 PM

garden_rake said:

i concede that he has a decent international record but isnt that to be expected of anyone up front for england? the chances he takes are virtually always laid on for him, its a long time since ive seen him pick the ball up, go past a player, then finish. He is a good poacher, very important for a striker of course, but he just doesnt have enough of anything else to warrant his apparent 'undroppable status' (possibly same problem as becks?)

Aye, very true. Thats the same reason none of the bigger clubs in Europe wanted him (apart from a rather desperate Liverpool), the best forwards nowadays are expected to be able to beat people, strike well from distance, cross well, etc, as well as poach. Although I think Beckham's work rate is unbelievable for England, and his crossing and passing is among the best in Europe and with his massive experience and captaincy, he is "undroppable" to a certain extent, unless he was to have a string of poor performances.

#149 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 16 November 2005 - 05:03 PM

caladanbrood said:

Yeah. He's terrible. He's only the sixth highest England scorer ever. I could do that in my sleep...;)

This I HAVE to see! :)
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#150 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 16 November 2005 - 05:20 PM

dktorode said:

Hey Hey Hey enough now!!

South Africa won't lose to the Welsh so i'd save my rantings for after the game if i were you!
Just to save face:p

Heh. Fair enough! Though it would be nice to have something to say against all the Anti-England comments he has been coming out with. No offence to you dktorode, normally I would fully support SA in such a match, but this one time... ;)
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#151 Guest_Sonnyboy_*

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 16 November 2005 - 07:41 PM

RodeoRanch said:

That post was so subtle, I didn't even pick up the insults until I re-read it.
Impressive.

And I hate basketball. Mostly because I suck at playing it. I always get pissed off and end up body-checking the bloody fast little buggers who are weaving and deking around me. Yeah, dribble that, jackass.;)

I used to hate playing basketball with my Dad for that reason. He played dirty. He would tell my brothers and me that it's wrong to cheat at anything and that rules ar made to be lived by, but then his actions would say something completely different. Like if we tried to call him for fouling or travelling or double-dribbling or whatever, he'd just say "the ref didn't see it," push us down, and run up and score. You can't do that in basketball!

Anyway, that's basketball's problem more than my father's. Although that little story explains a lot about me now.

#152 User is offline   RodeoRanch 

• The Midnight Special
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 16 November 2005 - 08:05 PM

I played baseball and football with my old man. Nothing like getting a baseball smacked into your head by your father.;)

#153 Guest_Tuftie 27_*

Posted 16 November 2005 - 10:07 PM

just out of interest, do any of you play rugby?

#154 Guest_Sonnyboy_*

Posted 16 November 2005 - 10:20 PM

RodeoRanch said:

I played baseball and football with my old man. Nothing like getting a baseball smacked into your head by your father.;)

Or smacking a baseball straight back at your father's head. Unintentionally, of course.

How about getting struck out by your little brother... consistently? That's something I still haven't gotten over.

#155 User is offline   RodeoRanch 

• The Midnight Special
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 16 November 2005 - 11:15 PM

Unintentionally. Yes...of course.

As for the little brothers, I didn't wait for strike 3. Strike 2 and then its time to charge the bastard.

Our sports game invariably ended up as brawling matches.;)

#156 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside

Posted 16 November 2005 - 11:47 PM

garden_rake said:

id recommend defoe be given the next two friendlies from the start at least and see how he clicks with rooney

Hmm, I dunno. I mean, as a Spurs fan, I'm a big a fan of Defoe as anyone, but he's not world class yet. He's good, no doubt, but not World Cup quality. I'd love to be proved wrong, but I would still pick Owen over Defoe any day.
In the friendlies, fair enough maybe, as Owen and Rooney don't exactly need practice as a partnership, so maybe. But I don't think Defoe could displace Owen in two matches.

On that note though, why is there only one more game before Sven has to announce this squad?:Erm: With the interesting selection dilemmas in midfield, he needed more time to work out his best team, IMHO.

Tuftie_27 said:

just out of interest, do any of you play rugby?

Not anymore:(
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#157 User is offline   Rich the Great 

• First Sword

Posted 17 November 2005 - 08:45 AM

Yep, I play rugby a fair amount.

#158 User is offline   Hume 

• Banned Like a Mushroom
  • Group: Banned Users

Posted 17 November 2005 - 09:30 AM

WOOOT

Australia HAS qualified for the World Cup !! ! !!

eat that Uraguay !

;) :)

#159 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside

Posted 17 November 2005 - 09:45 AM

More interestingly, so have Trinidad and Tobago:D:D:D

#160 User is offline   Hume 

• Banned Like a Mushroom
  • Group: Banned Users

Posted 17 November 2005 - 09:52 AM

Yes but when they play you they'll get whooped but Come the day when the Soccoroos play you.. Well I dont think I even need to watch the game to know who'll win...Us of course, cause you suck.

Share this topic:

• 10 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users