Malazan Empire: Outlines for the next three Path to Ascendancy books - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Outlines for the next three Path to Ascendancy books Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 23 September 2021 - 05:32 PM

Ian Cameron Esslemont, the co-creator of the Malazan universe with Steven Erikson, is enjoying his own level of success. According to his UK publishers, Transworld, he has passed one million books sold, and according to the Edelweiss Catalogue, he has three new Path to Ascendancy novels under contract.

The sale sheets for the next three Path to Ascendancy books - following on from Dancer's Lament, Deadhouse Landing and Kellanved's Reach - are as follows:

Book 4: The Jhistal

This volume develops and details the Malazan expansion into the Falari Peninsula region. Kellanved and Dancer, impatient with the slow and methodical consolidation of the continent of Quon Tali, are up to no good and embroil the Malazan forces in an uprising against the ruling Theocracy of Falar.

These priests have maintained power over all the many islands through the threat of their terror-weapon: the dread 'Jhistal'...

Here readers will discover just what this weapon is, meet a younger Mallick Rel and find out just how the Malazans took the region into their grip.

Book 5: tbc

Here we will be documenting and following the emerging Malazan Empire's first landings and foothold in the region of the Seven Cities. Central to this account will be the monumental and notorious attack on the Holy City of Aren.

The emergence of Dassem Ultor, his rising influence and popularity among the military of the empire - together with Surly's growing wariness of it - is all suggestive of his death before the walls of Y'ghatan.

Another path of this story will follow Kellanved and Dancer's exploration of Shadow and beyond, and further steps towards the former's ascension as Shadowthrone.

Book 6: tbc

Kellanved and Dancer and company have become ever more powerful and elevated, and are now distant players as we dig down to follow Bridgeburners themselves: Whiskeyjack, Fiddler, Hedge, Trotts, Mallet and others. Yes, the gang's all here and readers will relish being in their company once more!

Battles and encounters in Mott Woods and Black Dog Forest abound and all of this leads readers up to to the point at which this extraordinary multi-faceted, multi-layered epic fantasy saga first began: Gardens of the Moon.

This post has been edited by Werthead: 23 September 2021 - 05:33 PM

Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#2 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 23 September 2021 - 07:15 PM

I'm worried these won't hold up to my imagination.

#3 User is offline   James Hutton 

• High Scholar of Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 23 September 2021 - 09:33 PM

Whisperzzzzzzz, on 23 September 2021 - 07:15 PM, said:

I'm worried these won't hold up to my imagination.

Same. I'm re-reading the series (am up to HoC now) and the way they talk about all these pre-GotM events is with such reverence.
Secret message: "Keep up the good work, yours truly"

#4 User is online   Cyphon 

• Cagey Bastard of TQB

Posted 24 September 2021 - 08:23 AM

I also worry that withdrawing the mystic might undermine the original series.
Para todos todo, para nosotros nada.

MottI'd always pegged you as more of an Ublala

#5 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 24 September 2021 - 08:30 AM

That, and the bucketloads of retconning on the horizon. Prequels are always dangerous, especially the closer you get to the 'source' material.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#6 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 24 September 2021 - 08:45 AM

Well hopefully ICE can mostly avoid the wizard behind the curtain syndrome.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#7 User is online   Cyphon 

• Cagey Bastard of TQB

Posted 24 September 2021 - 11:43 AM

I mean the retconning should be minimal if they both roleplayed through the events. It will be where they go to new prequel territory that risks retcons.
Para todos todo, para nosotros nada.

MottI'd always pegged you as more of an Ublala

#8 User is offline   Ezaric 

• Recruit
  • Group: (COPPA) Users Awaiting Moderatio

Posted 27 September 2021 - 02:36 PM

I almost look forward to the eventuality that these events aren't as epic or mystical as they're recounted in the main ten books. After all isn't a recurring motif in the series that narrators are not entirely reliable? Stories we're told don't necessarily contain the entire truth, or have been intentionally changed? Events in the past are constantly inflated out of proportion and twisted to mythical status(and others diminished). I wouldn't mind it so much if it was "less" then how its described in MBOTF, it absolutely fits in with the series as a whole.
By the time of MBOTF the legend of the Bridgeburners has taken root and has potentially surpassed reality, I'm excited to read those events as they happen personally.

#9 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 27 September 2021 - 03:20 PM

I think Esslemont has come a long, long way since Return of the Crimson Guard and the thud that was most of the intentionally dramatic moments there.

I believe he'll handle those well because the way he's brought Shadow throne, Cotillion, Surly, and the others around has been quite fun to read.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#10 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 27 September 2021 - 07:46 PM

Hopefully he has heard the fans' anguished cries and will finally write about Halfdan.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#11 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 28 September 2021 - 04:03 AM

worry, on 27 September 2021 - 07:46 PM, said:

Hopefully he has heard the fans' anguished cries and will finally write about Halfdan.

That character always gets short shrift.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#12 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 28 September 2021 - 07:38 AM

It is indeed fair to say he only ever got half done.

This post has been edited by Gorefest: 28 September 2021 - 03:37 PM

Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#13 User is offline   Keysi 

• Fist

Posted 20 December 2022 - 12:12 PM

You know what prequels I'd really really love?

A series or even standalone on the First Empire and/or Kallor's Empires. I wonder if either authors are taking requests? Though I imagine those to be more Steve's territory.

#14 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 20 December 2022 - 12:26 PM

Wouldn't surprise me that in Walk in Shadows we find out that this 'empire' only existed for a few months/years and we will see the entire rise and fall of it within that third tome. If it ever materialises. It is the sort of subversion of expectations that we've come to know and love/hate from Erikson.

#15 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 20 December 2022 - 12:47 PM

Ever since Rian Johnson and TLJ I've really, really come to hate the word "subversion". :p
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#16 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 20 December 2022 - 02:49 PM

Gorefest, on 20 December 2022 - 12:26 PM, said:

Wouldn't surprise me that in Walk in Shadows we find out that this 'empire' only existed for a few months/years and we will see the entire rise and fall of it within that third tome. If it ever materialises. It is the sort of subversion of expectations that we've come to know and love/hate from Erikson.

He's had a few of them tho'. We saw the remains of one in BLOOD AND BONE. Another one led to the Fall.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#17 User is offline   Siergiej 

• High Fist

Posted 11 January 2023 - 05:10 PM

View PostKeysi, on 20 December 2022 - 12:12 PM, said:

A series or even standalone on the First Empire and/or Kallor's Empires. I wonder if either authors are taking requests? Though I imagine those to be more Steve's territory.

When Erikson did a meetup with fans in Dublin a few years ago, I asked him if he would consider writing a First Empire novel and he said no.

He also said there are no hounds of light, so there is that Posted Image

#18 User is offline   Keysi 

• Fist

Posted 28 March 2023 - 09:46 PM

Siergiej, on 11 January 2023 - 05:10 PM, said:

Keysi, on 20 December 2022 - 12:12 PM, said:

When Erikson did a meetup with fans in Dublin a few years ago, I asked him if he would consider writing a First Empire novel and he said no.

He also said there are no hounds of light, so there is that Posted Image

Awe that's a shame. Did he elaborate, give any explanation as to why not?

Also, wasn't there at least a few hounds of light in toll the Hounds? It's been a while since I read but that rings a bell...

Edit - actually, is there any articles or posts on the author's personal pages where they've spoke about times or settings or locations they'd like to set future books or series? Quite interested in several myself.

Obviously the first empire or kallors empire as already stated. Also that whole "first tiste who became soletaken dragons the azathani had to band together against" or just anything to do with the Azathani at all really. Just daydreaming here now

This post has been edited by Keysi: 28 March 2023 - 10:16 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users