Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Collector’s Quality Oponn’s Coin?

#1 User is offline   Oudorobou 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 03 September 2021 - 11:08 PM

Been a fan of the series for a while and have read if completely through a few times. Just recently picked it up again.

As a fan I just like many of you have always wanted some collectibles from the series. First of which for me was a Deck of Dragons. I have seen all of the fan art around all of the cards but no one (as far as I know) has ever produced a good quality deck for sale.

The next thing that I wanted was a Bridge Burners and/or a Bone Hunters patch. These have been made and I have grabbed a few!

After just finishing another reread of Gardens of the Moon, I asked in another forum about Oponn’s Coin. It doesn’t seem like anyone has attempted the recreate the coin.

So I have been in contact with a manufacturer and I’m close to getting some produced. Just trying to check the interest to see how many I should have made. The estimated price will be about $40 each (plus ship) and are to be a high quality collector’s coin. I do not have proofs yet. I’ll post some pics as soon as I am able.

Also I’m open to some suggestions on design. I have a solid idea on the direction for my interpretation of the coin but I’m always willing to hear others thoughts.

#2 User is offline   Dadding 

• Shaved Knuckle in the Hole

Posted 04 September 2021 - 05:15 PM

I'd definitely pick one up! I've bought quite a few coins from a place called Dead on Paper to give you some inspiration. And I'm sure you've checked the wiki to see what the coin was described like in the books.

#3 User is offline   Oudorobou 

• Recruit

Posted 06 September 2021 - 11:48 AM

Here is my concept attempt art for Oponn's coin. Let me preface by saying that I am NOT skilled with Photoshop and I am sure the final proofs will be much different as there are things that I wanted to include but were unable to include due to insufficient skill.

https://imgur.com/FdtWuan

https://imgur.com/HX3230k

#4 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 06 September 2021 - 12:09 PM

Images and overall style look cool, but aren't those scripts from LOTR?
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#5 User is offline   Oudorobou 

• Recruit

Posted 07 September 2021 - 03:44 PM

The script is an “elvish” script similar to LOtR. On the Lady’s side the text is described as a “kind of left-slanting hatchwork, different from that on the other side” Again I couldn’t do everything I wanted to like make the text slant backward to the left while going around the circle. The elvish type script is what came to mind for me. Flowing, feminine, beautiful but with a slant backward. Do you think it should be different?

On the Lord side is a runic attempt. Described as “Around the edge of that side, the coin had tiny rune like lettering in a language unknown to Crokus and very different from the cursive Daru script” I don’t believe that was in LOtR.. maybe… dwarven? but it is more of a universal type ancient language across multiple movies and completely different than the Twengar that Tolkien created.

I am open to suggestions…

#6 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 07 September 2021 - 08:27 PM

Nah, it looks good and I don't think they need to be changed. I was just worried in case the Tolkien Foundation decided to get all lawyer-y if they thought it was too close.
Are you looking to make money from this or is it just for a bunch of fans, one-and-done?

Not sure about the runes, I just thought I'd seen it before but I guess all Nordic rune-type things probably look similar.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#7 User is offline   Oudorobou 

• Recruit

Posted 07 September 2021 - 10:59 PM

Not looking to make money. It will be a one and done. I’m fronting the cost at the manufacturer. I’m still in discussion but from what I have so far looks like it’s gonna cost about $40/coin. All I want to do is recoup cost that I put up. Obviously if I have like 1000 coins or something, made it would be cheaper but I don’t see 1k likes or comments. So it will probably be waaay lower run than that. When I get exact run numbers, cost/pricing, dimensions, proofs and such I’ll post. I will say that I myself an much excite about this project and have high hopes it turns out the way I envision the coin.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users