• You cannot reply to this topic

2020 Malazan Re-read: Assail Starts March 1st

#1 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 04 March 2021 - 10:13 AM

2020 MALAZAN RE-READ: ASSAIL

Book description for Assail:

Tens of thousands of years of ice is melting, and the land of Assail, long a byword for menace and inaccessibility, is at last yielding its secrets. Tales of gold discovered in the region's north circulate in every waterfront dive and sailor's tavern, and now countless adventurers and fortune-seekers have set sail in search of riches. All these adventurers have to guide them are legends and garbled tales of the dangers that lie in wait -- hostile coasts, fields of ice, impassable barriers and strange, terrifying creatures. But all accounts concur that the people of the north meet all trespassers with the sword. And beyond are rumoured to lurk Elder monsters out of history's very beginnings.

Into this turmoil ventures the mercenary company, the Crimson Guard. Not drawn by contract, but by the promise of answers: answers to mysteries that Shimmer, second in command, wonders should even be sought. Arriving also, part of an uneasy alliance of Malazan fortune-hunters and Letherii soldiery, comes the bard Fisher kel Tath. And with him is a Tiste Andii who was found washed ashore and cannot remember his past life, yet who commands far more power than he really should. Also venturing north is said to be a mighty champion, a man who once fought for the Malazans, the bearer of a sword that slays gods: Whiteblade.

And lastly, far to the south, a woman guards the shore awaiting both her allies and her enemies. Silverfox, newly incarnated Summoner of the undying army of the T'lan Imass, will do anything to stop the renewal of an ages-old crusade that could lay waste to the entire continent and beyond.

Casting light on mysteries spanning the Malazan empire, and offering a glimpse of the storied and epic history that shaped it, "Assail" is the final chapter in the epic story

January 1st 2020 we began the re-read of the main series of the Malazan books. The plan being to read one book a month. We've now added additional Erikson and Esslemont publications to the schedule, to be read roughly according to the publication order.

January: Gardens of the Moon
February: Deadhouse Gates
March: Memories of Ice
April: House of Chains
May: Midnight Tides
June Night of Knives & The Bonehunters
July: Return of the Crimson Guard
August: Reaper's Gale
September: Stonewielder
October: Toll the Hounds
November: Orb Sceptre Throne
December: Dust of Dreams

January: The Crippled God
February: Blood and Bone
March: Assail
April: Forge of Darkness
May: Fall of Light

You can read our thoughts from earlier months in these threads:

March 1st we begin the re-read of Assail, the 6th and final book in the Novels of the Malazan Empire series.

There will be spoilers for all published books. So beware. Spoiler blocks are not mandatory but if people want to use boxes for the latest Kharkanas books or the Path to Ascendance books for example, I'd personally appreciate it.

Are you ready? What do you remember about Assail.

I thought this book was interesting, had a strong premise but ended in a really unsatisfactory fashion.

After all the foreshadowing and speculation, the continent didn't really live up to expectations. The massive armies, tyrants, the ascendant killing continent - There was nothing off that. It's just a bunch of savages killing one another with some enclaves of ancient peoples. And then at the end, we get a really cool reveal of what the idea behind the founding races actually means - But why waste that revelation and conclusion on Assail? Why not use that ending in The Crippled God?

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 25 March 2021 - 10:17 AM

#2 User is offline   Cyphon 

• Cagey Bastard of TQB
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 04 March 2021 - 01:01 PM

Thanks Apt. I'm pretty sure I've not read this one, but I said the same for B&B and turned out I had.

Interesting prologue with imass civil war.

The first bit with Kyle feels a bit clunky and a repeat of the OST gold rush point to kick-start the plot.

I really hope this doesn't feel like a jaunt to Assail because we have to go there to round off the world, as B&B felt a bit like that for Jacurkuru.
Para todos todo, para nosotros nada.

MottI'd always pegged you as more of an Ublala

#3 User is offline   ContrarianMalazanReader 

• Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 04 March 2021 - 07:31 PM

I posted this on my own thread expressing my views on the Malazan series.

I agree with you on Assail. The early books in the series (MoI and MT in particular) make such a big deal out of the continent of Assail, they are always prattling about how dangerous and inhospitable the place is, like when the Errant is told Iron Bars has been to Assail he is in awe of Iron Bars because of it, and in MoI they mention this big war going on in the continent. All that build-up for what? A whole lot of nothing. By itself, Assail is an OK book, but all that foreshadowing ended up being more narrative misdirection on the authors' behalf, which is another pet peeve I have with the books.

After thirteen years and thirteen books, teasing us about this major conflict, and the very mention of the continent sending chills down the spine of even Elder Gods, we end up with a book that focuses on a handful of Eskimos repelling outsiders.

#4 User is offline   Stalker 

• House Knight
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 04 March 2021 - 11:02 PM

Definitely haven’t read this, so I’ll try to avoid spoilers as I go. Excited to wrap up this arc, though I heard some feedback that it was a letdown to some.

#5 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 05 March 2021 - 01:27 AM

View PostAptorian, on 04 March 2021 - 10:13 AM, said:

I thought this book was interesting, had a strong premise but ended in a really unsatisfactory fashion.

After all the foreshadowing and speculation, the continent didn't really live up to expectations. The massive armies, tyrants, the ascendant killing continent - There was nothing off that. It's just a bunch of savages killing one another with some enclaves of ancient peoples. And then at the end, we get a really cool reveal of what the idea behind the founding races actually means - But why waste that revelation and conclusion on Assail? Why not use that ending in The Crippled God?

For all of SE/ICE's claims over the years while the series was coming out that they had it all planned out, it really seems like they weren't on the same page "strategy"-wise, and yeah Assail is like the biggest proof of that. I think ICE really just wasn't paying attention to how SE was enjoying putting giant hype comments about it into MBotF. Then again, it was the last of ICE's books, so even ignoring potential communications issues b/w SE/ICE it should still have been a big finisher to ICE's novels and it doesn't even really seem to be trying to be that, just feels like it's trying to be "yet another book" so I dunno.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#6 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 05 March 2021 - 06:03 AM

View PostStalker, on 04 March 2021 - 11:02 PM, said:

Definitely haven’t read this, so I’ll try to avoid spoilers as I go. Excited to wrap up this arc, though I heard some feedback that it was a letdown to some.

Just as a warning. This is a reread thread so there will be unhidden spoilers. Lots of them.

If you want to keep some cool scenes unspoiled, I'd suggest making a seperate thread or using one of the older threads.

#7 User is offline   Cyphon 

• Cagey Bastard of TQB

Posted 07 March 2021 - 02:19 PM

Again this may be a book I thought I hadn't read, but turns out I have. Or all the beats are so familiar that I haven't read and I think it is.

So I guess we're meant to think the Andii is Anomander Rake. I don't think it is as Fisher would of known him in my estimation.

And the Lady Orrsorron is a jaghut by my guess.

Otherwise steady as she goes, 19% though as we're 22% through the month.

#8 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 07 March 2021 - 03:01 PM

You know, even though I've read the book I can't even remember if the Andii was Rake or what's his name that went hunting for Kallor in Toll the Hounds.

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 07 March 2021 - 03:02 PM

#9 User is offline   ContrarianMalazanReader 

• Fist

Posted 07 March 2021 - 10:47 PM

The Andii's identity is deliberately left vague, which I personally think is stupid, and Jethiss himself states that his previous name is no longer important even after recovering his memory. He can't be Spinnock Durav because Spinnock is described as having red hair and Jethiss has black hair streaked with silver, nor do I think he's Anomander Rake or Nimander Golit. He's most definitely related to Anomander in some capacity because of his subconscious reaction to Fisher playing Anomandaris whilst sleeping.

Maybe he's a reincarnated Andarist?

#10 User is offline   Cyphon 

• Cagey Bastard of TQB

Posted 08 March 2021 - 02:50 PM

I thought Anomander just because everyone else got out of the sword. Dranconus, Hood etc. Let's see what comes out...

#11 User is offline   Stalker 

• House Knight

Posted 08 March 2021 - 10:18 PM

I’ve read the first few chapters. So far, I’m thinking the publisher missed an opportunity to return to the covers with ships on them. The whole story is at sea so far (compared to say NoK which was all on land).

#12 User is offline   Stalker 

• House Knight

Posted 12 March 2021 - 11:19 PM

Just finished. ICE continues to do a great job with atmosphere. The Sea of Dread, the Vanishing Wastes, the bridge of bones / bonewright, the holdings.

Overall, I really enjoyed it. It seemed like this mysterious place, rumored to be quite dangerous, really was. Forkrul Assail, jaghut and their descendants, pirates, no safe ports, etc. Seen from a few different perspectives, it’s all tough. Kyle / Fisher on foot, Orman in the holdings, Crust and crew by sea - they all encounter some dangerous obstacles.

The Crimson Guard reveal wasn’t much of a surprise at this point. Their vow resembling the vow of the Imass makes sense.

The jaghut ritual with ice storming the land was neat. The scene with Marshal Teal dying in the face of it and the sequence with Crust holding the fort (with most of the Imperial arsenal of munitions) illustrated the power of one these ancient rituals. Not really something we’ve seen before.

Re: Jethiss - seems like it has to be Spinnock based on the Kef Tanar comment right? He and Seerdomin (with Itkovian in the barrow) were playing frequently. Physical description may not match but could be a side effect of wandering lost for awhile.

#13 User is offline   ContrarianMalazanReader 

• Fist

Posted 13 March 2021 - 07:16 AM

View PostStalker, on 12 March 2021 - 11:19 PM, said:

The Crimson Guard reveal wasn’t much of a surprise at this point. Their vow resembling the vow of the Imass makes sense.

Don't know why, but the reveal about the Crimson Guard vow being irreversible filled me with a sense of sadness. We are never made privy to K'azz's POV, but based on the comments made by characters observing him, it's pretty obvious that he regrets the Vow, and based on TCG, I say the only way the Crimson Guard could potentially be free is by bathing in the blood of a God.

MoI and MT hinted at a much bigger conflict going on the continent, and while Assail is indeed a dangerous place, I expected something other than a book that mostly focused on a handful of eskimos repelling outsiders.

The Forkrul Assail encountered don't seem to be as militant as the ones ruling Kolanse.

#14 User is offline   Coltaine - 

• First Sword

Posted 15 March 2021 - 09:43 PM

Finally started. I read Assail several years ago, so let's find out what I forgot.

I have to say, even while reading it a second time, the gold rush bothers me a bit. People from half a dozen continents are travelling around the globe because they heard a story about gold fields on a far away continent of terrors nobody returns from and even Ascendants fear.

#15 User is offline   Cyphon 

• Cagey Bastard of TQB

Posted 17 March 2021 - 06:56 AM

75% way through. I have to say I don't feel particularly gripped by any of the storylines. Could be fatigue I suppose, or the characters and plot lines don't resonate. I guess I feel like there's very little that's new here.

Still think Cam writes horror excellently.

#16 User is offline   Cyphon 

• Cagey Bastard of TQB

Posted 21 March 2021 - 10:56 PM

Finished.

So the crimson guard as off brand T'lan Imass was no surprise and I didn't think the reveal had much impact. I think because the reveal has been telegrammed for so long and it doesn't change anything.

The Forkul being the big bad to force everyone else to make peace makes sense.

Jethiss as Spinnock does make more sense but being the son of darkness seems a bit of a leap. I suppose I had assumed nimander to be the heir to that title, if Jethiss is has that title will it create a schism, or maybe he'd go to blue rose.

Icebloods doing their viking thing... just together now... okay... seems a bit of a slow progression. Feels a bit like Kylism.

Speaking of which Kyle's just a walking Dues ex machina. I can't quite tell whether it's a next set of ascendant or what, but he's acquiring stuff like a roleplayed character. I didn't quite buy that the tokens of whiteblade and Ereko's amulet were enough to sway the FA.

I think this book is better written and plotted, CAM's craft improving. I think my problem is the narrative arcs were strained and over extended. And I think the location never lived up to the hype aswell as the subject matter being fairly well trodden. I guess we'll have to see how the seeds sown come out in later books, hopefully with new plot lines as I think that will help.

Little hint in there about how bad the Jhistal were, as a little teaser for the book coming out this year.

So I think I started this book previously but never finished. My bad. Now I have. Probably straight into FoD now as not got time for something in between.

#17 User is offline   Cyphon 

• Cagey Bastard of TQB

Posted 23 March 2021 - 06:54 PM

Any chance of the FoD thread Apt please? I might just plow straight through as not enough time to read much else.

#18 User is offline   Cyphon 

• Cagey Bastard of TQB

Posted 25 March 2021 - 09:07 AM

So started FoD and following on from my post before last, the sons of Darkness are basically the name for the great houses. In FoD the Duranv House aren't at this level, I think they're below that.

So if Mother Dark has asked this of Jethiss, and he is Spinnock, and she is still in FOD world as its recent history for her, then I think that is effectively making him a Prince of the realm rather than a singular title. So no conflict with Nimander, but perhaps a peer.

Maybe that was an error of my interpretation but interesting none the less.

#19 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 25 March 2021 - 09:15 AM

View PostCyphon, on 23 March 2021 - 06:54 PM, said:

Any chance of the FoD thread Apt please? I might just plow straight through as not enough time to read much else.

Did not notice this. I'll make one later today.

#20 User is offline   Cyphon 

• Cagey Bastard of TQB

Posted 25 March 2021 - 10:42 AM

View PostAptorian, on 25 March 2021 - 09:15 AM, said:

View PostCyphon, on 23 March 2021 - 06:54 PM, said:

Did not notice this. I'll make one later today.

Thank you! Only one more to make after that one and then we're frreeeeeeeee

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users