• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Elden Ring

#41 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 26 February 2022 - 07:18 AM

It's totally and unashamedly DS 4.

It's not going to win any points in terms of environment detail or even interaction with the surroundings - character is still clunky, no nice rock scrambling animations and such; but the original DS looked like a ps2 game and I still loved it enough to play through repeatedly.

It's way better than previous souls, but people will still compare it to next gen titles, just like the previous games were.

What has struck me so far is the openness - getting out of a claustrophobic environment and having the freedom to explore without following a defined road.

It's just good to be back.
More today hopefully.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#42 User is offline   Dadding 

• Shaved Knuckle in the Hole
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 26 February 2022 - 08:39 AM

View PostSerenity, on 25 February 2022 - 11:52 AM, said:

View PostDadding, on 24 February 2022 - 06:55 PM, said:

Some issues with frame rate on PC

Didn't notice any frame rate issues as I was too busy trying to sort out the awful screen tearing.

Not really a frame rate issue I guess, more like the game chugs for a second and then rushes to catch up. I haven't been hit as hard with it as some people online it seems like though.

I picked Confessor to start, I like my shields and he starts with a good one. The faith/strength build seems fun so far, I'm 13 hours in and just got my first steam achievement, and haven't touched the first "main boss" yet.

#43 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 26 February 2022 - 02:07 PM

I'm just exploring, finding caves and ruins and fighting mini-bosses for runes.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 26 February 2022 - 02:08 PM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#44 User is offline   Serenity 

• Saki!!!!!

Posted 26 February 2022 - 02:26 PM

View PostDadding, on 26 February 2022 - 08:39 AM, said:

I picked Confessor to start, I like my shields and he starts with a good one. The faith/strength build seems fun so far, I'm 13 hours in and just got my first steam achievement, and haven't touched the first "main boss" yet.

I went Confessor, too. Only played 3 or 4 hours since sorting the screen tearing. Got the first Ash of War (Storm Stomp) and the whistle to summon the spectral wolves. As an indication of my brilliance at these games, it took me three attempts to beat the Beastman of Farum Azul. Second attempt I was wondering why I was only doing 3 damage. Belatedly realised I'd somehow managed to unequip my sword :lol:

#45 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 26 February 2022 - 03:18 PM

So, this is my first time playing one of these. It’s really fucking hard.

Do I just suck at combat or is every single enemy difficult?

Started as Prisoner btw. Only played a few hours, thinking about restarting with a tankier character.

Any tips?
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#46 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 26 February 2022 - 03:45 PM

I've only ever played halfway through Dark Souls and Demon's Souls, so other can give more in depth advise but the concept of the souls games is actually very simple.

The game is hard but fair. You can grind to get better equipment and souls to level up but mostly it's just about getting gud.

Be careful, be precise, be patient and be brave. Watch the enemies movements, learn their patterns, learn the timing between swings and jumps. Then push the attack. Maybe a spear is better against some enemies, maybe magic does the trick. Remember the game is often cruel and it's okay to use cheap tricks.

I actually love this aspect of the souls games. I just hate the way you have to respawn at bonfires and run past the same enemies again and again to fight a big baddie or traverse some bullshit area only to die and have to repeat it over and over.

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 26 February 2022 - 03:48 PM

#47 User is offline   Serenity 

• Saki!!!!!

Posted 26 February 2022 - 05:36 PM

View PostSlow Ben, on 26 February 2022 - 03:18 PM, said:

So, this is my first time playing one of these. It's really fucking hard.

Do I just suck at combat or is every single enemy difficult?

Started as Prisoner btw. Only played a few hours, thinking about restarting with a tankier character.

Any tips?

The Confessor is pretty good for starting out, I think. I've found it lessens the pain a little. You begin with a shield that gives protection until your stance is broken (stamina drains each time you are hit). If you block with the shield and hit R2/heavy attack immediately you get a good retaliatory strike in. It's good for the early grunts anyway (assuming you don't just sneak up and backstab them).

This is worth a look if you don't mind some non-story spoilers (i.e. equipment/skills etc).

I think once you get the horse it makes it easier, in the open world, if you've died and you can just ride past a lot of enemies to get back to where you were.

#48 User is offline   Dadding 

• Shaved Knuckle in the Hole

Posted 26 February 2022 - 05:54 PM

View PostSlow Ben, on 26 February 2022 - 03:18 PM, said:

Prisoner's a tougher start than some classes because your buckler and estoc encourage parrying which is tough to get the hand of, and they only really take off later in the game once their spells are stronger. As Serenity mentioned the Confessor is a good starting place for a more forgiving playstyle because you rely more on the guard-counters, which are easier.

Vagabond could also be a good starting place for a melee-exclusive build, or Astrologer for a magic-exclusive build that allows you to attack primarily at range which can make things easier. My friends have also been having fun with the samurai.

Make sure you stay at medium equip load or lower for a decent roll/dodge, find a decent talisman as soon as possible (I've been using the one that gives health on critical kills, which is super useful for longer areas), and use those spirit ash/NPC summons as soon as possible if you're struggling. There's an australia-looking continent to the south of the starting zone that I found is pretty good for a beginner's area.

#49 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 26 February 2022 - 06:38 PM

View PostSerenity, on 26 February 2022 - 02:26 PM, said:

View PostDadding, on 26 February 2022 - 08:39 AM, said:

I went Confessor, too. Only played 3 or 4 hours since sorting the screen tearing. Got the first Ash of War (Storm Stomp) and the whistle to summon the spectral wolves. As an indication of my brilliance at these games, it took me three attempts to beat the Beastman of Farum Azul. Second attempt I was wondering why I was only doing 3 damage. Belatedly realised I'd somehow managed to unequip my sword :lol:

I did this! I wondered what was going on, went outside, backstabbed the guy by the fire - and realised I'd just punched him!

Re-equipped sword, went back in and took out the beast guy. Was so happy when I remembered the good ol' backstab.

#50 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 26 February 2022 - 07:10 PM

Started. Opening music is epic. I choose Wretch. Probably will start again, but wanted to see what going in as old man with loin cloth and club would be like. I guess it is the class that is the most blank slate for you to decide how you want to build your character, I think i read that somewhere anyway (I'll probably start with another class though). Made it through the first area (for training purposes / tutorial it seems)and it was really easy. I try to enter through the doors at the end of that and I get hit with message that game has to be fully installed to continue. I quit out to main title screen and there is an Installation Progress but it hasn't moved from 72%. I wonder if I'm screwed.

#51 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 27 February 2022 - 06:24 AM

Thanks all. So I started over with Confessor, wanted melee with some magic. Spent the first hour just fighting random enemies, just trying to get the controls down and grinding for Runes. Still dying some, but enjoying the hell out of the game.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#52 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 27 February 2022 - 08:28 AM

I went off on a ramble. Bit directionless; found a beach cave with a boss I'm not ready for, a clifftop with ogres patrolling, and the Ash skill guy I bought a skill from.

But it doesn't do anything, so I'm assuming it doesn't work with my shortsword.

I kind of forget I could be doing this with a different class and having a different experience. So far I'm stealthing round the big stuff, taking on what I can for runes, and trying to gather items from the first merchants.

Anyone know how to get to that southern Isle? Beach is just cliff edge as far as I can see. I tried swimming... but no, souls game so instant death.

#53 User is offline   Serenity 

• Saki!!!!!

Posted 27 February 2022 - 10:56 AM

^^ Must be a cave?

#54 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 27 February 2022 - 02:22 PM

Ah. I'll go back and kill those guys in there then!

Just been farming giant crabs on the beach to get some more stamina. Just recalled stamina is way more important than power for my build in these games.

#55 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 27 February 2022 - 06:37 PM

Did a search, found some info about the installation stuck problem, but no real solutions other than deleting and reloading. I opened a ticket with Bandai, but not expecting to hear back from them until the work week begins. If nothing from them, then I will try reloading. If that doesn't work, then will return (always save your receipts kids), and ask for credit towards Borderlands - Tiny Tina's Wonderlands (out March 25).

Bummed I didn't get the expirence of "YOU DIED" spanking over and over and over again this weekend. I had this weekend frame of mind prepared for that. On the plus side, I pored more time into HFW. Damn that game is really grooving with me. The west is indeed forbidden.

#56 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 28 February 2022 - 07:32 AM

I got a few hours in yesterday. I decided to make a Bloodborne-esque character, focusing on speed and aggression. So a warrior, two handing the schimitar and dodging (and jumping! that's fun). So far I've gotten the mount, cleared out the camp, and killed two mini-bosses in caves. And met two different ladies with I assume competing motivations . At first I was skeptical of the open world, and still a little overwhelmed, but I am loving this game so far! I have yet to figure out the ash stuff though.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#57 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 28 February 2022 - 08:12 AM

I'm not totally sure about the Ash mechanics.
First I couldn't get the whirl slash to work; it was on my sword, but r2 still did thrust and L2 was parry for the buckler.
When I unequip the buckler, L2 now activates slash, but to use it I can't use the shield? That seems weird.

At the moment I'm 1 or 2 handing an Uchi, and swapping out for a flail because it smashes crabs and skeletons and those demons souls miners up way better.

But is there a way to have use Ashes and the shield at the same time?

Anyhow, just cleared a small but creepy crypt. This game made skeletons scary again. The sound is so good, clattering scraping bone and flame, had some proper jumps in there.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 28 February 2022 - 08:50 AM

#58 User is offline   Serenity 

• Saki!!!!!

Posted 28 February 2022 - 08:50 AM

View PostTraveller, on 28 February 2022 - 08:12 AM, said:

Last night I found a guy up near Stormhill who sells Ashes and he had a "no skill" one which can be equipped to a shield, basically turning the parry off. Once that's equipped the Ash on the sword activated with L2 while still using the shield.

#59 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 28 February 2022 - 08:58 AM

View PostSerenity, on 28 February 2022 - 08:50 AM, said:

View PostTraveller, on 28 February 2022 - 08:12 AM, said:

Last night I found a guy up near Stormhill who sells Ashes and he had a "no skill" one which can be equipped to a shield, basically turning the parry off. Once that's equipped the Ash on the sword activated with L2 while still using the shield.

Ah, that's a great tip!

I've also been using the flail, but it's not as satisfying as I would have liked. Not like the mace in Demon Souls remastered for instance, which made me feel like a destructive god every time I hit someone.

Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#60 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 28 February 2022 - 10:49 AM

I quite like the spin, whirl and then a huge jump, bringing it down hard.

Good tip for the Ash, will try that later ! But then I won't be able to parry...

Share this topic:

• 7 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

18 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 18 guests, 0 anonymous users