Malazan Empire: Twilight Imperium VII: Revelations - Chatty Thread - Malazan Empire

• 146 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Twilight Imperium VII: Revelations - Chatty Thread

#801 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 22 January 2021 - 11:31 PM

View PostTattersail_, on 22 January 2021 - 11:07 PM, said:

Drek, at what stage do I unlock my Commander in the scenario where I activate Cealdri Xanhact? Ie i awaken the sleeper token to PDS therefore I unlock the commander at that instant then I change the PDS on Cealdri to my flagship. Both timings say after you activate a system.

Oof, that's a good puzzle.

Ok, so Flagship is "After you activate a system that contains 1 or more of your PDS..."

while AWAKEN is "After you activate a system that contains 1 or more of your sleeper tokens..."

Same timing window ("after you activate a system...") but they both have different extra conditions required, too.

{A} Right now, you have both a PDS and a sleeper token in Cealdri/Xanhact. So, if you activate it now, both conditions are met and you resolve both abilities in the same timing window. When you resolve multiple abilities in the same timing window, you can choose what order to resolve them in. So you could first resolve AWAKEN by replacing the sleeper token on Xanhact with a PDS, at which point you have 5 structures on the board so your commander unlocks, and then resolve the flagship's DEPLOY ability by removing the Cealdri PDS and putting the flagship in the system.

{B} If you didn't already have a PDS on Cealdri, though, the flagship's condition would not be met (you did not "activate a system that contains 1 or more of your PDS"), even if you added a PDS using AWAKEN immediately thereafter.

{C} For that same reasoning, when you do {A} you cannot replace the Xanhact PDS with the flagship, it has to be the Cealdri one, even if you do the flagship ability after AWAKEN, since the flagship ability refers to "those" PDS - the ones in the condition.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#802 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Mafia. Awesome Pictures. Awesome Videos. Did I mention Mafia?
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 22 January 2021 - 11:31 PM

Drek, at what stage do I unlock my Commander in the scenario where I activate Cealdri Xanhact? Ie i awaken the sleeper token to PDS therefore I unlock the commander at that instant then I change the PDS on Cealdri to my flagship. Both timings say after you activate a system.

I'm looking at a potential move and its exciting.
Apt is the only one who reads this. Apt is nice.

#803 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 22 January 2021 - 11:33 PM

View PostD, on 22 January 2021 - 11:31 PM, said:

Oof, that's a good puzzle.

Ok, so Flagship is "After you activate a system that contains 1 or more of your PDS..."

while AWAKEN is "After you activate a system that contains 1 or more of your sleeper tokens..."

Same timing window ("after you activate a system...") but they both have different extra conditions required, too.

{A} Right now, you have both a PDS and a sleeper token in Cealdri/Xanhact. So, if you activate it now, both conditions are met and you resolve both abilities in the same timing window. When you resolve multiple abilities in the same timing window, you can choose what order to resolve them in. So you could first resolve AWAKEN by replacing the sleeper token on Xanhact with a PDS, at which point you have 5 structures on the board so your commander unlocks, and then resolve the flagship's DEPLOY ability by removing the Cealdri PDS and putting the flagship in the system.

{B} If you didn't already have a PDS on Cealdri, though, the flagship's condition would not be met (you did not "activate a system that contains 1 or more of your PDS"), even if you added a PDS using AWAKEN immediately thereafter.

{C} For that same reasoning, when you do {A} you cannot replace the Xanhact PDS with the flagship, it has to be the Cealdri one, even if you do the flagship ability after AWAKEN, since the flagship ability refers to "those" PDS - the ones in the condition.

Yes man. Thats so cool.

#804 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 22 January 2021 - 11:33 PM

So theoretically you could activate cealdri
Explore
Place a sleeper token
Turn a sleeper token into a pds
Unlock your commander
Turn a pds into your flagship
Build one unit
Gain a TG
Explore again
place another sleeper token

#805 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 22 January 2021 - 11:36 PM

Man titans are fun, I think they are actually a super aggresive race masquerading as a defensive one.

#806 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 22 January 2021 - 11:40 PM

View PostImperial Historian, on 22 January 2021 - 11:33 PM, said:

Explore
Place a sleeper token
Unlock your commander
Build one unit
Gain a TG
Explore again

Activate that system, explore xanhact with scanlink, awaken pds, commander unlocks, produce a unit, gain 1 tg for using production, explore xanhact again, deploy flagship on cealdri, explore cealdri, the Crown of emphidia explore cealdri and place a sleeper token.

Is this right Drek?

#807 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 22 January 2021 - 11:46 PM

Probably.

Write it all out as a tactical action, with sub-steps, to make sure.

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#808 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 22 January 2021 - 11:49 PM

View PostTattersail_, on 22 January 2021 - 11:40 PM, said:

View PostImperial Historian, on 22 January 2021 - 11:33 PM, said:

Explore
Place a sleeper token
Unlock your commander
Build one unit
Gain a TG
Explore again

Activate that system, explore xanhact with scanlink, awaken pds, commander unlocks, produce a unit, gain 1 tg for using production, explore xanhact again, deploy flagship on cealdri, explore cealdri, the Crown of emphidia explore cealdri and place a sleeper token.

Is this right Drek?

Scanlink and crown of emphida both only let you explore 1 planet so it's

Activate that system,
explore cealdri with scanlink (you could explore xanact here but that wouldn't let you place a sleeper token as at this point it has one)
place sleeper token on cealdri
awaken sleeper token on xanact
commander unlocks
deploy flagship on xanact
move any units you want in/fight
produce a unit
gain 1 tg for using production
use the Crown of emphidia to explore xanact and place a sleeper token on xanact

I think. The timing windows aren't great, I'd hate to play titans in live play, so many opportunities for errors

#809 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 22 January 2021 - 11:58 PM

Shame I cannot work scoring into this coming round unless I get lucky with explores. However it excites me.

#810 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 23 January 2021 - 12:01 AM

Actually looking at your commander again I think you gain the TG before you finish the production step so can spend it as part of the production step, essentially making it a better sarween tools.

#811 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 23 January 2021 - 12:13 AM

View PostImperial Historian, on 23 January 2021 - 12:01 AM, said:

Actually looking at your commander again I think you gain the TG before you finish the production step so can spend it as part of the production step, essentially making it a better sarween tools.

Agreed, since it's a "when". It's weird phrasing, should've just made it a "before" ability, but since it's not "after" I think definitely you can use the TG in that PRODUCTION if you want to.

#812 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 23 January 2021 - 07:54 AM

Blend do you know which turn you will be moving off mirage?

#813 User is offline   Khellendros 

• Saboteur of High House Mafia

Posted 23 January 2021 - 09:45 AM

Lol, “my PDS can produce?!” has got to be my favourite part of this game so far :)
"I think I've made a terrible error of judgement."

#814 User is offline   Khellendros 

Posted 23 January 2021 - 09:49 AM

I think in the lore your PDS are actually Titans that you’ve rediscovered on the planets you’ve explored. It’s pretty cool. I think even your flagship is supposed to a gigantic flying space Titan.

#815 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 23 January 2021 - 10:02 AM

Tatts, a whole new world just opened for you! How does it feel? :D
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#816 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 23 January 2021 - 10:15 AM

It was easy to agree with twelve, as I had to play leadership round 1 anyways. 2 in fleet prevented me from building anything.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#817 User is offline   Khellendros 

Posted 23 January 2021 - 10:48 AM

View PostMorgoth, on 23 January 2021 - 10:15 AM, said:

It was easy to agree with twelve, as I had to play leadership round 1 anyways. 2 in fleet prevented me from building anything.

I considered taking Leadership and trying to outlast everyone before playing it. Might have been better in the long run but the lure of Imperial became too great. Oh well, guess we'll see!

Regarding the earlier tech path talk, I've been considering whether to forgo Sarween Tools and try out Scanlink Drone Network instead - with the constant moving around the Saar normally do it might be a useful new ability. Out of the other new techs, Dark Energy Tap for the same reason, what with hanging around in asteroid belts. Sling Relay on the other hand seems pointless with access to Chaos Mapping. I think AI Development Algorithm is there to make red paths more appealing in general as it's a useful-to-all ability even if you wouldn't normally go for red techs (like Sarween for yellow or Gravity Drive for blue).

#818 User is offline   Blend 

• Gentleman of High House Mafia
  • View gallery

Posted 23 January 2021 - 05:34 PM

Morgoth - you should add my alliance to your game post, and when you purge something, it's removed from the game, so you could remove Maw of the Worlds from your game post now that you've purged it.

This post has been edited by Blend: 23 January 2021 - 05:36 PM

There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail - should we fall - we will know that we have lived. ~ Anomander Rake
My sig comes from a game in which I didn't heed Blend's advice. So maybe this time I should. ~ Khellendros
I'm just going to have to come to terms with the fact that self-vote suiciding will forever be referred to as "pulling a JPK" now, aren't I? ~ JPK

#819 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 23 January 2021 - 06:18 PM

Blend any idea when you will be moving that destroyer off mirage?

#820 User is offline   Blend 

• Gentleman of High House Mafia
  • View gallery

Posted 23 January 2021 - 06:42 PM

View PostImperial Historian, on 23 January 2021 - 06:18 PM, said:

Blend any idea when you will be moving that destroyer off mirage?

Should be next turn.
There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail - should we fall - we will know that we have lived. ~ Anomander Rake
My sig comes from a game in which I didn't heed Blend's advice. So maybe this time I should. ~ Khellendros
I'm just going to have to come to terms with the fact that self-vote suiciding will forever be referred to as "pulling a JPK" now, aren't I? ~ JPK

Share this topic:

• 146 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users