Malazan Empire: Twilight Imperium VII: Revelations - Chatty Thread - Malazan Empire

• 146 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Twilight Imperium VII: Revelations - Chatty Thread

#781 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Mafia. Awesome Pictures. Awesome Videos. Did I mention Mafia?
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 22 January 2021 - 10:33 PM

View PostImperial Historian, on 22 January 2021 - 10:22 PM, said:

View PostTattersail_, on 22 January 2021 - 10:09 PM, said:

View PostImperial Historian, on 22 January 2021 - 10:04 PM, said:

I'll be playing construction first round, and I imagine khell is playing imperial so I guess it depends on how many strategies morgoth wants to follow to get that refresh engine of his turning.

It's going to be interesting to see what tech paths everyone decides to follow, ai development really opens up some interesting new unit upgrade paths and the new PO makes a lot more tech paths viable.

Tatts cruiser/pds path with ai development looks fun, as does my warsun/pds/destroyer path, blends deep blue path is going to be VERY different from previous games, and morgoths crazy economy path is really interesting.

No idea what the best routes for winnu and saar are with the new tech though! Sarween and dreads maybe for saar. No idea for winnu.

My cruiser 2 upgrade is going to be fun when I hit that. Sustain damage will be huge for them, 6 combat, move 3 and carry 2. Its like a super dread. There's not many moves I can make though. I'm really CT starved.

I'm wondering whether taking tech was the best idea in this case. Maybe leadership a second time round should have been the way forward.

No regrets though, its a tough board for a slow race to start with.

I was very surprised you took tech, I was sure you'd go leadership as you are so starved of CTs, and your abilities are so CT hungry. I think you are suffering from the same problem I am with this very influence poor board, with a faction that thrives off many actions. Titans are a strange race, they have some really cool abilities, and the internet seems to love them but I'm not sure how to make them tick.

Are you still going to unlock your commander this turn now mallice is in your sights?

Honestly, I've not thought this round through. I need to score but don't know how I'm going to do that. I want Mallice, I want to activate my sleeper token. I want to build. Too many actions. I may have to set myself up for an Imperial play to catch up on points.

If I want to score this round then maybe forgoing a second research to score the 8 resources is an option.

No trade, no diplomacy. Its tough.
Apt is the only one who reads this. Apt is nice.

#782 User is offline   twelve 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 22 January 2021 - 10:34 PM

As Winnu I shouldn't have a CT problem but I've always seemed to have that problem every game. Most of it was probably due to having my area cannibalized by other players but also probably by not going for Leadership when its available. But on the plus side I've gotten used to playing with low number of actions and maximizing my scoring opportunities. Maybe with the current board state it might pay off for me.
I don't know what I'm doing but it sounds good.

#783 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 22 January 2021 - 10:38 PM

Oh and Tatts, was reading the titans of uls abilities and I think the wording of crown of emphida means that when you use it to explore you should be able to place a sleeper token, even if the planet had a sleeper token on it at the start of your turn unlike scan link drones as the timing window doesn't overlap.

Maybe clarify with D'rek but I'm pretty sure after you complete a tactical action is explicitly outside the timing window of when you active a system.

So eg last turn

you activate the system with cealdri in, you explore with scanlink, but because a sleeper token is there nothing occurs
You remove the sleeper token using awaken
Then after all this happens you explore again, but this time no sleeper token is present so you get to add another one

It's a pretty powerful synergy with your ability so just making sure you are aware as you didn't do it

#784 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 22 January 2021 - 10:39 PM

View PostTattersail_, on 22 January 2021 - 10:33 PM, said:

View PostImperial Historian, on 22 January 2021 - 10:22 PM, said:

View PostTattersail_, on 22 January 2021 - 10:09 PM, said:

View PostImperial Historian, on 22 January 2021 - 10:04 PM, said:

I'll be playing construction first round, and I imagine khell is playing imperial so I guess it depends on how many strategies morgoth wants to follow to get that refresh engine of his turning.

It's going to be interesting to see what tech paths everyone decides to follow, ai development really opens up some interesting new unit upgrade paths and the new PO makes a lot more tech paths viable.

Tatts cruiser/pds path with ai development looks fun, as does my warsun/pds/destroyer path, blends deep blue path is going to be VERY different from previous games, and morgoths crazy economy path is really interesting.

No idea what the best routes for winnu and saar are with the new tech though! Sarween and dreads maybe for saar. No idea for winnu.

My cruiser 2 upgrade is going to be fun when I hit that. Sustain damage will be huge for them, 6 combat, move 3 and carry 2. Its like a super dread. There's not many moves I can make though. I'm really CT starved.

I'm wondering whether taking tech was the best idea in this case. Maybe leadership a second time round should have been the way forward.

No regrets though, its a tough board for a slow race to start with.

I was very surprised you took tech, I was sure you'd go leadership as you are so starved of CTs, and your abilities are so CT hungry. I think you are suffering from the same problem I am with this very influence poor board, with a faction that thrives off many actions. Titans are a strange race, they have some really cool abilities, and the internet seems to love them but I'm not sure how to make them tick.

Are you still going to unlock your commander this turn now mallice is in your sights?

Honestly, I've not thought this round through. I need to score but don't know how I'm going to do that. I want Mallice, I want to activate my sleeper token. I want to build. Too many actions. I may have to set myself up for an Imperial play to catch up on points.

If I want to score this round then maybe forgoing a second research to score the 8 resources is an option.

No trade, no diplomacy. Its tough.

Yeah you are really starved of good options. Mallice should help with the CT problem though. A lot of these PO's and new SO's are very tough to score

#785 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 22 January 2021 - 10:46 PM

I'm going to have to pen and paper this round. I didn't know I could've put an extra sleeper token down. Kicking myself for not seeing it.

If I take Mallice I want to do so with upgraded cruisers but that means not scoring the resource PO.

Going to look at the other Po's to see if any of them are viable. I'll have 3 TGs from taking Mallice, I'll have 3 influence from Cealdri/Xanhact and 3 resources from Lodor but that would leave me 2 resources short for the second research.

If I unlock my commander, I'd have to use production twice to gain 2 tg which means I won't have enough for a second research.

#786 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 22 January 2021 - 10:47 PM

View PostImperial Historian, on 22 January 2021 - 10:38 PM, said:

Oh and Tatts, was reading the titans of uls abilities and I think the wording of crown of emphida means that when you use it to explore you should be able to place a sleeper token, even if the planet had a sleeper token on it at the start of your turn unlike scan link drones as the timing window doesn't overlap.

Maybe clarify with D'rek but I'm pretty sure after you complete a tactical action is explicitly outside the timing window of when you active a system.

So eg last turn

you activate the system with cealdri in, you explore with scanlink, but because a sleeper token is there nothing occurs
You remove the sleeper token using awaken
Then after all this happens you explore again, but this time no sleeper token is present so you get to add another one

It's a pretty powerful synergy with your ability so just making sure you are aware as you didn't do it

Agreed. The TERRAGENESIS ability's check for whether a sleeper token is already on the planet is only at the exact moment after you explore a planet, doesn't matter if one was there earlier in the turn so long as it isn't there at that time.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#787 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 22 January 2021 - 10:48 PM

That leaves the neighbours option. Max I could have is 5. Minimum my neighbour has it 6. Otherwise its 7 7 8 in planetary holdings.

#788 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 22 January 2021 - 10:49 PM

Drek I didn't see it so won't ask for one to be added. I'll just know for future reference

#789 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 22 January 2021 - 10:52 PM

View PostTattersail_, on 22 January 2021 - 10:46 PM, said:

I'm going to have to pen and paper this round. I didn't know I could've put an extra sleeper token down. Kicking myself for not seeing it.

If I take Mallice I want to do so with upgraded cruisers but that means not scoring the resource PO.

Going to look at the other Po's to see if any of them are viable. I'll have 3 TGs from taking Mallice, I'll have 3 influence from Cealdri/Xanhact and 3 resources from Lodor but that would leave me 2 resources short for the second research.

If I unlock my commander, I'd have to use production twice to gain 2 tg which means I won't have enough for a second research.

There are a huge amount of interactions and edge cases in this game, not surprising you miss one now and then.

You might get lucky with explores but yeah it's going to be tough for you to score and do everything you want.

Mallice will have 3 PDS shots defending it per our agreement though if not taking mallice without cruiser 2 is because you are worried about someone booting you off.

Remember researching cruiser two also lets Khells fleet move 3 spaces thanks to his agent!

#790 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 22 January 2021 - 10:54 PM

View PostTattersail_, on 22 January 2021 - 10:49 PM, said:

Drek I didn't see it so won't ask for one to be added. I'll just know for future reference

Hmm? Didn't see what?

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#791 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 22 January 2021 - 10:59 PM

View PostD, on 22 January 2021 - 10:54 PM, said:

View PostTattersail_, on 22 January 2021 - 10:49 PM, said:

Hmm? Didn't see what?

As IH says I could have placed a sleeper token in Cealdri after I explored with the Crown.

View PostTattersail_, on 19 January 2021 - 08:01 AM, said:

Posted Image

Activate Cealdri and Xanhact -

Explore Cealdri using scanlink -> EC16 | Mercenary Outfit | You may place 1 infantry from your reinforcements on this planet.
Awaken PDS on Cealdri

Move cruiser and 1 infantry from blank hex

Land Infantry on Xanhact
Explore -> EH16 | Rich World | ATTACH: | This planet's resource value is increased by 1.
TERRAGENESIS: Place Sleeper Token on Xanhact

Exhaust The Crown of Emphidia to explore Cealdri -> EC15 | Gamma Wormhole | Place a gamma wormhole token in this system. Then, purge this card.

CURRENT STATUS

Victory Points: 2

Strategy Card: LEADERSHIP
Command Pools: 2T | 3F | 1S
Goods: 0/2 C | 0 TG
Relic Fragments: 0C | 0H | 0I | 0U
Action Cards: 3
Promissory Notes: 5 Ul, 1 Argent
Secret Objectives: 0 fulfilled | 1 unfulfilled

Planets:
+ Elysium (4/1)
+ Lodor (3/1)
+ Cealdri (0/2, yellow spec.)
+ Xanhact (1/1) (rich world)

Technologies:
+ Antimass Deflectors -- Your ships can move into and through asteroid fields. When other players' units use SPACE CANNON against your units, apply -1 to the result of each die roll.
+ Scanlink Drone Network -- When you activate a system, you may explore 1 planet in that system which contains 1 or more of your units.

Leaders:
+ Tellurian (AGENT) -- When a hit is produced against a unit: You may exhaust this card to cancel that hit.
+ Tungstantus (COMMANDER) -- {LOCKED: Have 5 structures on the game board} When 1 or more of your units use PRODUCTION: You may gain 1 trade good.
+ Ul The Progenitor (HERO) -- {LOCKED: Have 3 Scored Objectives} ACTION: Ready Elysium and attach this card to it. Its resource and influence values are each increased by 3, and it gains the SPACE CANNON 5 (x3) ability as if it were a unit.

Other:
+ (PROMISSORY NOTE) Argent Alliance -- When 1 or more of your units make a roll for a unit ability: You may choose 1 of those units to roll 1 additional die.
+ (PROMISSORY NOTE) Argent Support for the Throne
+ (RELIC) The Crown of Emphidia -- After you perform a tactical action, you may exhaust this card to explore 1 planet you control. At the end of the status phase, if you control the "Tomb of Emphidia," you may purge this card to gain 1 victory point.

#792 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 22 January 2021 - 11:00 PM

Ah, yes, well that's a misplay on your part and waaaay too long ago to retcon.

#793 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 22 January 2021 - 11:01 PM

View PostImperial Historian, on 22 January 2021 - 10:52 PM, said:

There are a huge amount of interactions and edge cases in this game, not surprising you miss one now and then.

You might get lucky with explores but yeah it's going to be tough for you to score and do everything you want.

Mallice will have 3 PDS shots defending it per our agreement though if not taking mallice without cruiser 2 is because you are worried about someone booting you off.

Remember researching cruiser two also lets Khells fleet move 3 spaces thanks to his agent!

Isn't that just one of his ships though? Its not his whole fleet is it?

#794 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 22 January 2021 - 11:02 PM

View PostTattersail_, on 22 January 2021 - 11:01 PM, said:

View PostImperial Historian, on 22 January 2021 - 10:52 PM, said:

Isn't that just one of his ships though? Its not his whole fleet is it?

Yeah, the agent just boosts one ship, not all of them.

#795 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 22 January 2021 - 11:04 PM

Its also once per round. So not too great, but still good. I'm having a think.

#796 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 22 January 2021 - 11:07 PM

Drek, at what stage do I unlock my Commander in the scenario where I activate Cealdri Xanhact? Ie i awaken the sleeper token to PDS therefore I unlock the commander at that instant then I change the PDS on Cealdri to my flagship. Both timings say after you activate a system.

#797 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 22 January 2021 - 11:19 PM

I have not read up or anything on these races as I just want to try them my way but IH I just come across this sentence, I fail to see how I can Produce.... This means that they can, as a stall: fire their PDS at ships floating above their planet, explore that planet, place a mech and infantry, and lastly produce. Which also gains them a tradegood via their commander. It's a hell of a stall.

#798 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 22 January 2021 - 11:25 PM

Oh my God. My pds can produce? Whaaaat???? Honestly did you all know? Wow.

So production 1, they can produce 1 unit? Jesus that's great. So if I activate Cealdri I could effectively produce 2 units there when I awaken the second PDS?? MOTHER OF GOD that's exciting.

#799 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 22 January 2021 - 11:29 PM

You crack me up Tatts, yes they can produce, I thought you weren't using it because you didn't have many resources.

It's a close run thing which is better the PDS or the cruiser.

#800 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 22 January 2021 - 11:30 PM

You do know you can turn a PDS into your flagship right?

Share this topic:

• 146 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users