• You cannot reply to this topic

TI4 Game 7 Sign-ups

#21 User is offline   Blend 

• Gentleman of High House Mafia
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 03 January 2021 - 05:49 PM

View PostTattersail_, on 03 January 2021 - 08:33 AM, said:

Really good, something I couldn't have as I don't host or go to anything quite like what you're talking about. The closest I get is a poker night, we will sit around a table then.

Are the cup holders for drinks or for dice cups?

For drinks - my friends and I (when not dealing with a pandemic) get together at my place every other Saturday for drinks and D&D (or other games sometimes), and a couple of my friends are spilly drinkers, hopefully this will help curtail that.

I figure the gaming surface is big enough for folks to roll on. There ARE more cup holders than we should really need for all of us, so I expect some will be co-opted as a place to put one’s dice while not rolling!

This post has been edited by Blend: 03 January 2021 - 05:58 PM

There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail - should we fall - we will know that we have lived. ~ Anomander Rake
My sig comes from a game in which I didn't heed Blend's advice. So maybe this time I should. ~ Khellendros
I'm just going to have to come to terms with the fact that self-vote suiciding will forever be referred to as "pulling a JPK" now, aren't I? ~ JPK

#22 User is offline   Blend 

• View gallery

Posted 03 January 2021 - 05:50 PM

View PostImperial Historian, on 03 January 2021 - 12:19 PM, said:

I've just spent the last few hours reading up on the new stuff. It's crazy, I'm excited to play all of the new factions and all the old ones. Now the problem is going to be picking!

Yeah I was planning to definitely play a new faction, but after having spent some time really digging into the new commander abilities and such, there are a few of the old factions I’m really interested in trying, too!

Still probably gonna try for a new faction, though....
There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail - should we fall - we will know that we have lived. ~ Anomander Rake
My sig comes from a game in which I didn't heed Blend's advice. So maybe this time I should. ~ Khellendros
I'm just going to have to come to terms with the fact that self-vote suiciding will forever be referred to as "pulling a JPK" now, aren't I? ~ JPK

#23 User is offline   Blend 

• View gallery

Posted 03 January 2021 - 05:51 PM

View PostImperial Historian, on 03 January 2021 - 04:42 PM, said:

Bets on tatts playing sol again :p

Ha. No bet.

#24 User is offline   Blend 

• View gallery

Posted 03 January 2021 - 05:54 PM

View PostImperial Historian, on 03 January 2021 - 11:00 AM, said:

Looks awesome. With the fold out play areas you probably just about have enough space for real life TI4, it's a big beast!

One day I'm going to get my self something similar (after covid when I can actually get people round to play)

I am eternally greatful that I have a handy dad - he helped me build a solid bed frame with lots of storage a couple years back, and now this, which has been a dream project of mine for a few years. To get something similar made for me, I’d be dishing out around 2-3K. We made it for under $500, and could have gone cheaper if I had opted for cheaper wood (but I had a bit of extra money in the bank account, so I opted for fancy stuff).

#25 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 03 January 2021 - 09:02 PM

Tapper says he's out. Khell hasn't seen the PM yet.

If we get any additonial sign-ups I'll change it, but if we go with these 5 this will be the map: https://drive.google...ew?usp=sharing. It is intentionally a bit cut-throat ^_^ Also a bit tech specialty-heavy since there's a lot of new mechanics related to tech specialties we don't want to miss out on.

And these will be the randomized starting positions, so you can start thinking about what faction(s) you would want.

IH - lower left
Tatts - upper left
Morgoth - upper right
Blend - lower right
Twelve - bottom

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#26 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 03 January 2021 - 09:36 PM

You are a monster D'rek, this is going to be all sorts of cut-throat!

New planets look cool though. Legendaries look interesting, new mallice is gonna cause me all sorts of issues when I make assumptions about wormholes.

#27 User is offline   Blend 

• View gallery

Posted 04 January 2021 - 02:21 AM

Morgoth and Twelve as neighbours. I don’t think I’ve neighboured Morgoth, except maybe in that very first game? I feel like I’ve been Twelve’s neighbour in almost every game I have played. LoL.

#28 User is offline   Blend 

• View gallery

Posted 04 January 2021 - 02:23 AM

View PostD, on 03 January 2021 - 09:02 PM, said:

If we get any additonial sign-ups I'll change it, but if we go with these 5 this will be the map: https://drive.google...ew?usp=sharing. It is intentionally a bit cut-throat ^_^ Also a bit tech specialty-heavy since there's a lot of new mechanics related to tech specialties we don't want to miss out on.

And these will be the randomized starting positions, so you can start thinking about what faction(s) you would want.

IH - lower left
Tatts - upper left
Morgoth - upper right
Blend - lower right
Twelve - bottom

Are there supposed to be 3 alpha wormholes, but only 2 betas? Or am I just completely missing a beta somewhere?

#29 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 04 January 2021 - 06:14 AM

View PostBlend, on 04 January 2021 - 02:23 AM, said:

View PostD, on 03 January 2021 - 09:02 PM, said:

IH - lower left
Tatts - upper left
Morgoth - upper right
Blend - lower right
Twelve - bottom

Are there supposed to be 3 alpha wormholes, but only 2 betas? Or am I just completely missing a beta somewhere?

Yup, starting with 3 alpha (but 1 is an asteroid field so not necessarily all that accessible) and 2 betas (both on planets, so that could be tense!). But of course exploration could add even more!

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#30 User is offline   Khellendros 

• Saboteur of High House Mafia

Posted 04 January 2021 - 10:55 AM

I'm in!

Hey all, hope you've all been well. I heard a while back that there's a new expansion to this game out?

Edit: Just reading through. If it's too much hassle to rejig the setup, I'm happy to spectate.

This post has been edited by Khellendros: 04 January 2021 - 10:57 AM

"I think I've made a terrible error of judgement."

#31 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
  • Interests:Mafia. Awesome Pictures. Awesome Videos. Did I mention Mafia?
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 04 January 2021 - 11:36 AM

Oh yeah 6 players!
Apt is the only one who reads this. Apt is nice.

#32 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 04 January 2021 - 12:24 PM

Welcome back!
For the return of Khell and a proper 6 player game I'm sure we can manage! We are playing with all the new expansion stuff.

Having a look through I'm most excited by the new POs, these are going to change the game massively, farewell tech dominance!

#33 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 04 January 2021 - 02:07 PM

View PostKhellendros, on 04 January 2021 - 10:55 AM, said:

I'm in!

Hey all, hope you've all been well. I heard a while back that there's a new expansion to this game out?

Edit: Just reading through. If it's too much hassle to rejig the setup, I'm happy to spectate.

Woohoo!

It's no hassle at all Khell, I actually made the 5-player map based off of a draft 6-player map in the first place - won't take me more than like 10 minutes to polish it up into a final 6P map :)

#34 User is offline   Blend 

• View gallery

Posted 04 January 2021 - 03:20 PM

:apt:

#35 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 04 January 2021 - 03:43 PM

What do people make of the changes to the existing races - it seems like some of the weaker races have been boosted, winnu and sardakk both seem to have gained quite a lot in terms of extremely useful agents and commanders. Hopefully the resultant race mix will be slightly better.

Muaat are still awful though.

#36 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 04 January 2021 - 04:09 PM

View PostBlend, on 04 January 2021 - 03:20 PM, said:

:apt:

I didn't mean I was going to do it in 10 minutes *now*, I was going to wait until my lunch break :p

But since I can feel the anxious anticipation oozing out of you... here you go: https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

I'm not reshuffling positions, so same as before + Khell on top.

#37 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 04 January 2021 - 04:22 PM

I have to say a lot of the new planets just look cooler.

Most of them aren't, but they look it!

#38 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 04 January 2021 - 04:33 PM

View PostImperial Historian, on 04 January 2021 - 03:43 PM, said:

What do people make of the changes to the existing races - it seems like some of the weaker races have been boosted, winnu and sardakk both seem to have gained quite a lot in terms of extremely useful agents and commanders. Hopefully the resultant race mix will be slightly better.

Muaat are still awful though.

Arborec and Winnu can now expand to two systems in round 1, which should help their slow start immensely, albeit they have to use up their agent on it so it's still not quite as good as all the factions that start with 2 carriers and can use their agent for something else. I don't think that makes the Arborec amazing or anything, but it's definitely a big boost. That early expansion boost for Winnu plus their mechs and commander and hero sound like they're potentially crazy strong now, though perhaps difficult to play and maximize actually using all those things.

Muaat get to expand to 2 systems in round 1 from their agent now, too, and I think you're wrong about them still being awful. That commander (+1 TG every time you do a secondary) is ridiculously good. Unlocking it will be hard, yeah, but they should be going for a 2nd war sun anyway, plus the new red techs help them research war sun II sooner.

Sardakk new abilities are weird, but I like the idea. The +1 to all units thing was cool, but it didn't give them much of an identity. Now they're the +1 to all combats AND can invade adjacent planets without ships faction, which is way more terrifying.

Hacan mech and commander seem really situational so not a lot of change to how they will play, I think, but holy crap that hero is ridiculous.

Jol-Nar changes are really small stuff, but I think that's good they felt very strong already.

Saar felt really strong already, too, but they still got some big new abilities. Worried they might be overpowered.

L1Z1X commander (ignore planetary shield) is a big deal for them, as it means all their other special abilities can't be easily countered by a PDS now. I think that means they'll be a really aggressive offensive faction now.

Mentak, Nekro and Naalu seem like a weird grab-bag of miscellaneous new abilities, dunno if they'll be strong changes or not.

Sol, Letnev, Creuss, Yin and Yssaril seem like they're just even better at what they already did.

Xxcha too are sort of better at what they already did, or maybe more like better at what they were *supposed* to already do. The Xxcha abilities to manipulate agenda voting always seemed kinda weak. Their new stuff really makes them sound a lot better at being a politics-themed faction (and EVEN MORE PDS). I'm excited to try them out.

#39 User is offline   Blend 

• View gallery

Posted 04 January 2021 - 05:18 PM

I have to say that the Hacan hero ability is the one I'm most excited to try out of the original factions. Definitely interested in trying Naalu and Creuss again with expansion material, seems they'll be even more interesting to play with.

Certainly going to be interesting to see how things go with all the new content! I expect this first game will be new faction heavy, but following that we'll probably start seeing some of the old factions creep back into the rotation. Either way, I'm pretty excited for all this additional content!

This post has been edited by Blend: 04 January 2021 - 05:25 PM

#40 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 04 January 2021 - 05:45 PM

Oh man I'd not seen the saar, they were already good but those new abilities wow. The agent alone is massive, the commander is good but the hero is game winning

I guess the new red tech does make warsuns in general easier to achieve and cheaper which is a big bonus for muaat.

I am much more interested in playing all of the races now though!

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users