• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

TI4 Game 7 Sign-ups

#81 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 06 January 2021 - 11:53 PM

View PostKhellendros, on 06 January 2021 - 10:39 PM, said:

Are we going for 10VP? In the expansion rulebook it suggests if you're playing with 6 players then go for 14VP - but yeah, that may take too long with forum play?

Yeah, the rulebook suggests 14VP for players who want a longer game, but from what I've read on reddit and whatnot it seems like keeping it at 10VP doesn't make that much difference - usually only 1 round shorter or not at all. I built the map pretty conservatively, too, so that exploration bonuses don't make the resources go crazy high. I think that might keep the length/pace of the game in check but we won't know for sure until we try!

We'll keep it at 10VP for this game and try it out and if it feels like that is too short with the PoK content we can bump up the score for next game.

View PostKhellendros, on 06 January 2021 - 10:37 PM, said:

View PostTattersail_, on 06 January 2021 - 07:05 PM, said:

Khell what are you thinking about all the new abilities and races?

I'm very excited. The leader additions (agents, commanders, one-time use heroes!) are what I'm really intrigued by and how much they'll affect or change the game. The mechs less so, but it's nice to have another combat addition. I like that exploring is now more involved too and could reveal some great surprises. And I like how the designers seem to have taken the approach of, "well, these races seem quite strong, but instead of nerfing them, let's make everyone else more crazy too!" Of the new races, the Nomad initially intrigues me the most. The Titans strike me as potentially really strong.

There's one bit that I still don't understand - capture for fighters and ground forces. I get it for the other units, but for these it says you return them to the reinforcements, but then place your own equivalent on your faction sheet, until an ability returns them...but whose ability? I mean, those are now your forces you've put on your own faction sheet, so...I'm so confused I don't even know how to finish this sentence. And what's the supply and how is it different from the reinforcements?

"Supply" is for pieces that are generic bits for all players, while "reinforcements" is for your specific player/faction pieces. So if you're playing as pink Arborec your pink dreadnoughts and your Arborec command tokens come from your reinforcements 'cause they're different from blue Sol's dreadnoughts & CTs, but trade good tokens are the same for everyone so they come from the supply.

It makes more sense in a physical game, where all the stuff in your reinforcements would be on the table next to your faction sheet but all the supply stuff would be in bowls in the middle of the table.

Fighters and infantry... ah so we just use infinite fighter and infantry for each player in our forum games, but in a real game there's a limit of how many actual plastic pieces you have for those. You're allowed to have infinite fighters and infantry, but only as many separate groups of them as you have plastic pieces - in each group you put 1 plastic piece to show your colour and then all the rest can be indicated by "extra infantry" and "extra fighter" cardboard tokens.

So the green player having 30 infantry on one planets looks like this: https://i.redd.it/ukyts4fwzfk11.jpg instead of 30 green flag plastic pieces.

Back to the capturing rules, when you would capture an infantry or fighter you don't get to take the enemy plastic piece and instead you take a fighter or infantry cardboard token from the supply and put it on your faction sheet. Makes sense since infantry and fighters are supposed to be infinite and taking the plastic piece wouldn't limit their total numbers, just how many groups of them you can have.

In our games we don't use the cardboard tokens and have infinite plastic pieces, so we'll stick to the same sort of rule and the capturing player will put an infantry or a fighter from their own (infinite) reinforcements on the faction sheet (er, into their status block) instead.

The only factions that can actually use the Capture mechanism is the Vuil'raith (that's their whole thing) and the Nekro + Yssaril can do it a little bit by copying the tech/agent of the Vuil'raith.

For the Nekro and Yssaril, capturing infantry and fighters seems to be useless - doesn't limit the other player and you can't use them for anything. For the Vuil'raith, they can "spend"/give back the captured units on their faction sheet (er, in their status block) to build free units or ignore tech prerequisites, so they'd get free infantry and fighters out of it.

Did that make sense?

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#82 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 07 January 2021 - 12:02 AM

I want to know about your last game, seems that it was really close judging by the points!

It was! The last round and a half was a crazy bunch of cascading "X is going to win doing this so block them. But once they're blocked, Y will win right after doing this other thing..." scenarios that everyone was getting involved in. Lots of disguised moves and secret objective second-guessing going on. I don't even know how to summarize it.

I had the Politics card so I got to peek at the top of the agenda deck in the round where IH moved his entire Saar ball onto Mecatol Rex and had to hide my glee that we were going to draw Ixthian Artifact for the rest of the round. The Artifact exploded and blew his entire Saarball up. It was glorious.

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#83 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 07 January 2021 - 12:51 AM

View PostTattersail_, on 06 January 2021 - 07:05 PM, said:

Khell what are you thinking about all the new abilities and races?

I'm very excited. The leader additions (agents, commanders, one-time use heroes!) are what I'm really intrigued by and how much they'll affect or change the game. The mechs less so, but it's nice to have another combat addition. I like that exploring is now more involved too and could reveal some great surprises. And I like how the designers seem to have taken the approach of, "well, these races seem quite strong, but instead of nerfing them, let's make everyone else more crazy too!" Of the new races, the Nomad initially intrigues me the most. The Titans strike me as potentially really strong.

There's one bit that I still don't understand - capture for fighters and ground forces. I get it for the other units, but for these it says you return them to the reinforcements, but then place your own equivalent on your faction sheet, until an ability returns them...but whose ability? I mean, those are now your forces you've put on your own faction sheet, so...I'm so confused I don't even know how to finish this sentence. And what's the supply and how is it different from the reinforcements?

I want to know about your last game, seems that it was really close judging by the points!

Thanks all for the lovely words. It honestly does mean a lot. You can keep the condoms, though, Tatts, but I appreciate the thought.

All the races seem to have had a big boost and I love it. I'd agree that the titans seem the strongest of the new ones though!

#84 User is offline   Khellendros 

• Saboteur of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 07 January 2021 - 01:16 PM

View PostD, on 06 January 2021 - 11:53 PM, said:

Did that make sense?

Complete sense thank you! A combination of not knowing how the physical game components worked and forgetting to take the Vuil'rarara actions into account (it's going to take me a while to remember all the new abilities and actions!), but you explained it perfectly.

I just took a look at the new tech properly for the first time. Some of it looks really exciting - but it feels like they have to use a lot more words to explain how they function than for the older techs.
"I think I've made a terrible error of judgement."

#85 User is offline   twelve 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 07 January 2021 - 07:07 PM

I've been Mia for about a week. I'll try and get caught up on the goings on during my lunch in about an hour. I hope you arent waiting on me for anything.
I don't know what I'm doing but it sounds good.

#86 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 07 January 2021 - 07:45 PM

View Posttwelve, on 07 January 2021 - 07:07 PM, said:

I've been Mia for about a week. I'll try and get caught up on the goings on during my lunch in about an hour. I hope you arent waiting on me for anything.

Nope, but if you can get your preferred faction picks in by tomorrow that would help me a lot to get things setup over the weekend.

#87 User is offline   twelve 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 07 January 2021 - 08:21 PM

View PostBlend, on 04 January 2021 - 06:33 PM, said:

View PostTattersail_, on 04 January 2021 - 06:29 PM, said:

I've now read the rules and they seem crazy. The map doesn't look quite resourceful but I'll look at it again properly in a minute.

Are all the new cards in that other thread?

Yep, pretty much everything you need is in the Reference Thread.

Drek has done an immense amount of work getting it up to date over the holidays.

Good I was going to ask where everything is because I haven't looked at any of the new stuff yet.

And Hi Khell! Glad to have you join us.

#88 User is offline   twelve 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 07 January 2021 - 08:33 PM

View PostD, on 07 January 2021 - 07:45 PM, said:

Nope, but if you can get your preferred faction picks in by tomorrow that would help me a lot to get things setup over the weekend.

Just sign me up for Winnu. Let's see if they can not suck and I doubt anyone else will pick them.

#89 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 07 January 2021 - 08:37 PM

View Posttwelve, on 07 January 2021 - 08:33 PM, said:

Just sign me up for Winnu. Let's see if they can not suck and I doubt anyone else will pick them.

Their new leaders and mech are pretty incredible, so that does definitely help the odds...

#90 User is offline   Khellendros 

• Saboteur of High House Mafia

Posted 07 January 2021 - 08:58 PM

View PostD, on 07 January 2021 - 08:37 PM, said:

Their new leaders and mech are pretty incredible, so that does definitely help the odds...

Hero Imperial play for the win final round...
"I think I've made a terrible error of judgement."

#91 User is offline   twelve 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 07 January 2021 - 09:18 PM

It must be the mech that I haven't read anything about yet that must help with early game expansion because it's not the leaders. Having 2 free production each round (3 with sarween) will go a long way to helping the Winnu be competitive though. They have such a unit deficit that makes it hard to compete.

#92 User is offline   twelve 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 07 January 2021 - 09:21 PM

View PostKhellendros, on 07 January 2021 - 08:58 PM, said:

Hero Imperial play for the win final round...

Ah!! Totally missed that. Had to admit I read that ability and was a bit confused as to how that would be helpful to them. But you are right it's totally geared to Imperial use. It's so obvious now. Still trying to wrap my brain around what I've read and missed the Strategic value of it.

#93 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
  • Interests:Mafia. Awesome Pictures. Awesome Videos. Did I mention Mafia?
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 07 January 2021 - 09:24 PM

That strategic value you are talking about is why I wanted to see you play the wizards.
Apt is the only one who reads this. Apt is nice.

#94 User is offline   twelve 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 07 January 2021 - 09:25 PM

Well I dont know anything about the new factions so by the time this game ends I might and will be willing to try them out.

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users