• You cannot reply to this topic

Justice League: The Snyder Cut HBO Max 2021

#81 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 18 March 2021 - 06:06 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 18 March 2021 - 05:58 PM, said:

View PostD, on 18 March 2021 - 05:45 PM, said:

Yeezus, does that even count as a movie at that point?

RETURN OF THE KING Extended Edition is 4hrs38minutes.

I don't think the run time is an issue really, especially nowadays when people are used to binge watching shows.

Plus there's nothing better than a lazy day watching all 3 LotR extended back to back, a puny 4 hours is nothing!!

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#82 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 18 March 2021 - 06:27 PM

View Postchamp, on 18 March 2021 - 06:06 PM, said:

I don't think the run time is an issue really, especially nowadays when people are used to binge watching shows.

Plus there's nothing better than a lazy day watching all 3 LotR extended back to back, a puny 4 hours is nothing!!

That's kind of how I look at it. People don't blink at a whole day watching STRANGER THINGS. I know people might quibble about the structure of a longer film not being the same as a multi-episode tv show...but as long as it's organized into Acts...I think it's fine.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#83 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 18 March 2021 - 07:07 PM

The difference is that LOTR was good :p

#84 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 18 March 2021 - 07:11 PM

Release the Snyder Cut of LOTR! I wanna hear Treebeard say FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU...
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#85 User is offline   ContrarianMalazanReader 

• Fist

Posted 18 March 2021 - 07:12 PM

Unfortunately I don't have have HBOMax (I live outside the USA), and HBOMax won't launch until June here in Latin America.

#86 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 18 March 2021 - 07:17 PM

View PostAptorian, on 18 March 2021 - 07:07 PM, said:

The difference is that LOTR was good :p

So is The Snyder Cut apparently. :p
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#87 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 18 March 2021 - 07:22 PM

I'm leaning towards the side that it will have an hour and a half of unnecessary bloat.

And whooboy does Snyder like to placard his name over anything he is involved with. Pump the brakes on the ego there, Zacky boy. I'm expecting the next project he is attached to, to begin with - "Zack Snyder presents, Zack Snyder presenting a Zack Snyder film. Produced, written, directed and starring Zack Snyder."

#88 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 19 March 2021 - 09:43 AM

You know what you get with a Snyder movie, so if you like that sort of stuff you'll probably enjoy this too I reckon. Whereas if you don't particularly like the way Snyder makes movies this seems very much to be more of that but turned up to 11.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#89 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 19 March 2021 - 01:06 PM

So we made it to the half-way mark of the film last night (which is the end of Part 3; there are 6 parts total and an epilogue), and the first thing I'll note is that it's like night and day from Whedon's version (or Josstice League as it's called)...watching it and knowing which bits Joss took from Snyder's footage (not a lot) and how they seemed to hang in mid-air amongst all the stuff that Joss re-shot...gods it's so much better here. Everything makes sense.

Mild, mild spoilers:

Spoiler

So far I'm more impressed than I even expected to be. This may very well be Snyder's best work to date...and it could be the best DC film of the lot.

Oh and the SCORE? Tom Holkenborg (Junkie XL) has done an amazing job of incorporating and aping Zimmer's MoS and BvS scores, while making it all his own. Gone are the petulant and goofy leitmotifs Danny Elfman thought he was making...and in their place an epic, and worthy score with notes of everyone's themes...including Superman's MoS theme (which was absent entirely in Elfman's score). It's just a stunning score of music.

There's also tiny details that really hammer homer the subtly on display. Like a short scene in the rain with Lois visiting Superman's "monument" and a cop letting her through the barrier and saying "Jeez Miss Lane, you don't miss a day, do you?". It's lovely little moment that shows that Lois is still in mourning and still dedicated to Clark.

Anyways. We will finish this tonight and I'll chime in with fun thoughts afterwards.

#90 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 19 March 2021 - 05:19 PM

I guess the aggregate approval percentage places it as the fourth best DCU movie now (above Aquaman, below Wonder Woman, Shazam and Birds of Prey). I watched Aquaman recently, I was sort of meh about it. Didn't hate it, but it wasn't great or anything either. Just sort of middling. Cheesy as all get out in parts, but also some things that were pretty cool (special effects mostly). Did they have to make the Sea Horses actually sound and neigh like regular horses? Really terrible acting throughout. Is it true Amber Heard is out of the sequel because of messiness with Pirate Boy? I think a major driver for any of these flicks is to generate interest in the new amusement ride that opens the following summer. Anyway, back on topic, as it is tracking above Aquaman, I'll watch it eventually. It'll never hold a candle to Shazam though, that shiznit was en fuego, fiya!

#91 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 19 March 2021 - 05:26 PM

'What You Learn From Comparing Both Justice League Cuts

Watching Joss Whedon's and Zack Snyder's versions back to back is like attending a six-hour film studies course.'

https://slate.com/cu...-breakdown.html

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 19 March 2021 - 05:26 PM

#92 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 19 March 2021 - 05:42 PM

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 19 March 2021 - 05:26 PM, said:

'What You Learn From Comparing Both Justice League Cuts

Watching Joss Whedon's and Zack Snyder's versions back to back is like attending a six-hour film studies course.'

https://slate.com/cu...-breakdown.html

HA! Very much. Even in the first half you can see the stark differences.

Like in the mangled Whedon version of the scene where Batman tries to recruit Aquaman sequence that was barely in JOSSTICE...the whole thing is SORT of dramatic, and then Joss (being Joss who does this shit ALL the time) undercuts the whole thing with a joke "I hear you can talk to fish"...whereas the Snyder version of this part is about 3 times as long (and not in a bad way, but in a character depth way), more in depth and plays it straight without jokes. As I said, it's night and day difference, and the almost parody of the Whedon film is so much starker when seeing the intended scene he butchered in 2017.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 19 March 2021 - 05:44 PM

#93 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 22 March 2021 - 10:30 AM

So I watched this on saturday with a few friends on a zoom movie night. Now, I have never been much of a fan of Snyder. I don't like his lack of subtlety, I don't like his over dramatic choice of music, and I particularly don't like his in your face objectivist nonsense. Watchmen is the prime example of that last part, where Snyder showed he understood not at all the themes or the message of that story. Or 300, jesus christ, it's like some sort of weird squished together objectivist-facist manifesto made by someone whom read Atlas Shrugged at 15 and never developed beyond that point.

Still, there's not a lot of big blockbusters coming out, and we saw this thing in the cinema back when it originally cam out and were curious. I can say it's not his worst, though that might have something to do with the friends and the beer. It has all the stuff he always does. The blaring music, the over use of slow motion effects, drums drums everywhere. The complete lack of subtlety is still as present as always. Why imply something when Snyder can beat you over the head with repeatedly? And of course, his objectivist nonsense is there as it always is. In all fairness though I think it probably is better than the original Justice League, but that's hardly much of a metric. It's by no means a good movie I think, it's too long without having much to show for its added length. It's trying to be complex but failing miserably in its execution. It's very pretty, except when Snyder goes all Snyder with his light effects, then it just gets dumb. The music is just bad most of the time. Not the score itself as such, but the use of music throughout the film.

In the end, if you like Snyder's films: If you thought Watchmen and Batman vs Superman were great, you will likely enjoy Justice League too. If you find Snyder's movies to be boring, or just bad though, this is very much more of the same.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#94 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 22 March 2021 - 02:25 PM

We finished it, and I'm comfortable saying that it's Snyder's best work to date, and is EASILY (easily easily) the Best DC comic book movie by a very long stretch. It's probably in my top 3 Comic Book movies of all time.

Also, Gen Z loves this movie? TikTok is ALL Snyder Cut love ALL the time now...I'm surprised how many people, Marvel nerds, people who hated BvS, and many others...they all seem to love it. Consider me surprised.

I'll spoiler tag the rest of my comments so as not to spoil things for people who have not watched it.

Spoiler

Laslty, I'm SO glad that the thing everyone freaked out about with the Joker additional scenes from the Epilogue "The We live in a society" moment that trolled SO many people SO hard...was exactly that...a troll. Not in the film at all. I assume this was to hide the actual dialogue and not spoil the epilogue.

So will this result in a restored Snyderverse? Probably not (though that's what's trending now), and that's fine....I got what I wanted in this film. So did Zack and that makes me happy. He's got to be happy that the general consensus is very good on this...(critical and audience) and that he was not wrong (nor were we fans) to ask that he be allowed to show us what it was meant to be, which is without a doubt a GREAT JL movie.

That said, I HOPE that Cavill gets to remain as Superman for the DC stuff on the back of the success of this.

I also hope that FLASHPOINT, when it's rewriting things, accommodates some SnyderCut stuff going forward.

I also hope that Ray Fisher gets more work...he's EASILY he MVP of this whole endeavour and I'd love to see him in more films.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 22 March 2021 - 02:28 PM

#95 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 22 March 2021 - 05:08 PM

Zack Snyder's best work is his version of Dawn of the Dead. Which can't really be compared to the original movie, which has influenced so many horror directors that followed. But Snyder's version of Dawn of the Dead was really good. And it introduced many to the musical stylings of Richard Cheese. Get down with the sickness, you cool cats.

#96 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 22 March 2021 - 06:51 PM

Spoiler

I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#97 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 22 March 2021 - 07:18 PM

View Postamphibian, on 22 March 2021 - 06:51 PM, said:

Spoiler

So I could be wrong on this point but I THINK:

Spoiler

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 22 March 2021 - 07:19 PM

#98 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 22 March 2021 - 10:47 PM

My take is:

VASTLY superior to the Whedon version, and is actually a solid solid film. I'd have to agree that it's probably my favourite DC film now (previously was WW - the first one, not the god awful 1984), and yeah the lean into mythological aspects in terms of the characters powers is worth it.

Restoring the Snyderverse is probably asking too much, but I certainly wouldn't be averse to it.

Also, Amber Heards' accent is bloody awful, and unutterably pointless.
meh. Link was dead :(

#99 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 23 March 2021 - 09:35 AM

QuickTidal, I'm responding to you here:

Spoiler

I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#100 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 23 March 2021 - 01:24 PM

Watched the original again in prep for ego boy cut. Totally forgot about that post credit scene. Is there going to eventually be a Legion of Doom in this stuff?

Also, heh, Deathstroke. Sounds like once last naughty wank before punching your card.

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users