• You cannot reply to this topic

Justice League: The Snyder Cut HBO Max 2021

#21 User is online   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 23 May 2020 - 02:52 PM

View PostAptorian, on 22 May 2020 - 04:34 PM, said:

I liked Sucker Punch because it had a tiny girl fighting a gigantic samurai wielding a gatlin gun. That was worth sitting through the bad story.

Agreed!
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#22 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 23 May 2020 - 03:21 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 22 May 2020 - 09:22 PM, said:

View Postamphibian, on 22 May 2020 - 07:35 PM, said:

Sucker Punch is a badly executed, greyishly pretty mess. I got the general ideas he and the rest of the movie team were going for, but the actual execution of the writing/story structures left the characters in a weird self aware of exploitation yet unable to do anything about it zone that doesn't work.

Also, if one structures a movie around a life changing dance - ya gotta show the dance at some point instead of cutting away from it every time.

It just always seemed like a fever dream bit of a movie with pop culture stuff rammed in...and that simply never appealed to me as a movie subject.

The idea was to make it fever dream-like with some rad imagery (the samurai with a gatling gun thing Aptorian mentioned) while also having it be a self-aware movie about the exploitation of women by men.

Unfortunately, the writing isn't solid enough to actually get the women characters past being aware that they're being exploited, so it ends up in this weird zone of "aware, but not actually clever or agile enough to move somewhere good with this".

So it kind of is a movie with a nobler purpose than you'd expect from the imagery, but fails on numerous fronts with executing the story beats and elevating it past "exploitation of attractive women". Worth watching if you have the time/patience to take it apart and realize why it doesn't work. Otherwise, I'd avoid it.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#23 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 24 May 2020 - 03:09 AM

Ray Porter confirmed as Darkseid. That IS cool.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#24 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 26 May 2020 - 05:01 PM

Well I imagine the actors and crew are excited because no one hates money, especially during a global pandemic.

#25 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 26 May 2020 - 05:08 PM

Would they get a cut of a streaming deal?

#26 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 27 May 2020 - 09:31 PM

So I'm watching Justice League. Don't know much DC lore. I have Magic Carpet Ride stuck in my head and I'm just wondering who is the cyborg dude who's dad is Miles Dyson?

And all this talk of The Mother Box. They could have come up with a better name.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#27 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 27 May 2020 - 09:38 PM

You're pumped now Mez, wait until the Snyder cut comes out!!

#28 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

Posted 27 May 2020 - 09:45 PM

I'm generally confused and perplexed by Steppenwolf and Mother Box. And why Ben Afflecks Batsuit looks specifically designed to hold in his jowels. Why didn't they put him on a Hollywood diet?

#29 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 28 May 2020 - 01:04 AM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 27 May 2020 - 09:45 PM, said:

I'm generally confused and perplexed by Steppenwolf and Mother Box. And why Ben Afflecks Batsuit looks specifically designed to hold in his jowels. Why didn't they put him on a Hollywood diet?

Mother Boxes are dimensional tech from space. Think Infinity stones if they were tech-based. They are from a planet called Apokolips, and possess wonderful powers...some of which include boom tube “teleportation”...the relevance of them on earth represents the lord of Apokalips, a guy called Darkseid (think Thanos, but less altruistic, much more chaotic evil, and invented first), and his minions. Steppenwolf is one of his lieutenants, and is technically acting in JL as the harbinger of Darkseid. He is on earth to prepare it for his master. This would have all made much more sense in Snyder’s version, but Whedon dropped everything about the mother boxes, who Steppenwolf is beyond a generic cgi baddie, and most of all that Darkseid is the endgame for the heroes and earth. When WW is talking about “him”....Whedons cut makes it seem as if she’s talking about Steppenwolf, when in fact they are alluding to Darkseid.

One of the mother boxes on earth was found by Silas stone, who’s son Victor had been in a vicious car Wreck that left him almost dead. Through experiments to try to save him, Silas used the mother box which (mind of its own) basically encompassed Vic, and turned him into cyborg, he’s the powers of a mother box made into a hero.

But yes, you can think of mother boxes like infinity stones, and Steppenwolf was trying to use multiple of them to terraform earth to his masters liking, and subdue the native dominant race....humans.

Darkseid symbol and parademons are in the Knightmare sequence/dream/vision that Bruce has in BATMAN V SUPERMAN. It was meant to pay off in JL, but Whedon dropped that too

So yeah, I’m not surprised you’re lost on those things as Whedon cut everything related to making them make sense.

As to Affleck, if you’re careful, you can pick out the few scenes that made it into the final cut where Ben was being filmed under Snyder....but 90% of the final film is reshoots that Whedon did a fair 9 months after principle photography...so Affleck had gained back some weight and was not in the same shape. And the reshoots were done so late in production, and took so long that WB and production didn’t have a chance to re outfit the bat suit, so Affleck looks a little jowly in it for 90%.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 28 May 2020 - 01:12 AM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#30 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 28 May 2020 - 05:45 AM

Zack Snyder has made one decent movie, and that came out fourteen years ago. His entire career is a study in a man whom does not understand the concept of subtlety, or of complexity. He has exactly one tool in his story telling arsenal, and that is a sledgehammer. That DC thought it was a good idea to give him of all people the reins of their superhero franchise is beyond absurd.

This post has been edited by Morgoth: 28 May 2020 - 05:46 AM

Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#31 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 28 May 2020 - 06:44 AM

Oh man, someone get the popcorn!

#32 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

Posted 28 May 2020 - 06:47 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 28 May 2020 - 01:04 AM, said:

Mother Boxes are .....

It was less a request for an explanation, I could tell they were basically infinity stones. More a problem with the name. Mother. Box.

#33 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 28 May 2020 - 07:09 AM

I don't understand what warner bros gets from this snyder cut, either

A) it's better than the whedon version and they look like chumps for spending all that money reshooting it

Or

B) it's as good or worse and they look like chumps for spending the money to release the snyder cut

#34 User is online   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 28 May 2020 - 09:21 AM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 28 May 2020 - 06:47 AM, said:

Mother Boxes are .....

It was less a request for an explanation, I could tell they were basically infinity stones. More a problem with the name. Mother. Box.

Well, in the comics there's also Father Box, which is better of course, and there's Grandmother Box and Grandfather Box too.
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#35 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 28 May 2020 - 10:42 AM

View PostMorgoth, on 28 May 2020 - 05:45 AM, said:

Zack Snyder has made one decent movie, and that came out fourteen years ago. His entire career is a study in a man whom does not understand the concept of subtlety, or of complexity. He has exactly one tool in his story telling arsenal, and that is a sledgehammer. That DC thought it was a good idea to give him of all people the reins of their superhero franchise is beyond absurd.

View PostMacros, on 28 May 2020 - 06:44 AM, said:

Oh man, someone get the popcorn!

Nah, I realize I'm in a minority enjoying the majority of his work. I don't expect everyone to like it. I can see the reasons why others don't like it. For the same reasons I don't like Rian Johnson's Star Wars effort.

Mother Boxes are .....

Ah! I misunderstood. Well, they were invented by Jack Kirby in the 1971? It was also invented by a scientist on Apokolips named Himon (not making this up)...I don’t know if that explains it. There is also a character named Granny Goodness who runs a sort of torture ring and trains women to be scantily clad warriors...make of that what you will. There is (as noted by Primateus) Father boxes, a grandmother box, and an orphan box. I think the tone was meant to be "family", but yeah it comes across as weird. But then it was 1971 in comics, a really psychedelic era.

View PostImperial Historian, on 28 May 2020 - 07:09 AM, said:

I don't understand what warner bros gets from this snyder cut, either

A) it's better than the whedon version and they look like chumps for spending all that money reshooting it

Or

B) it's as good or worse and they look like chumps for spending the money to release the snyder cut

It’s because Warner Bros is under new management now. The new caretakers are interested in seeing wha Snyder had planned. Beyond that HBO is launching a streaming service they need a hook. Disney spent a bunch of money on The Mandalorian, this is their spend....if that makes sense?

EDIT: This is also not unprecedented, 1980's SUPERMAN II was famously recut and re-released in 2006 as The Donner Cut because WB had replaced Richard Donner way late in shooting with Richard Lester, and Donner was not happy with the result. It took years, and a change of guard at WB to do it, but he finally got to release his intended cut of the film. And The Donner Cut is in every way superior to what Lester did in 1980. It's almost the same situation, just without the suicide of the daughter.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 28 May 2020 - 11:36 AM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#36 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 28 May 2020 - 02:27 PM

View PostPrimateus, on 28 May 2020 - 09:21 AM, said:

Mother Boxes are .....

Well, in the comics there's also Father Box, which is better of course, and there's Grandmother Box and Grandfather Box too.

Baaaby SHARK BOX doo doo do du doo doo do do du doo doo do do

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#37 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 31 May 2020 - 04:50 AM

I don't understand what warner bros gets from this snyder cut

it rhymes with 'honey' and you can use it to buy honey.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#38 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 31 May 2020 - 07:22 AM

View PostAbyss, on 31 May 2020 - 04:50 AM, said:

I don't understand what warner bros gets from this snyder cut

it rhymes with 'honey' and you can use it to buy honey.

Is it more honey?
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#39 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 31 May 2020 - 07:27 AM

I think Abyss is saying that Warner Brothers really like ponys. I'm not sure how much Honey a pony is worth on the open honey market but I bet it's a lot.

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 31 May 2020 - 07:29 AM

#40 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 31 May 2020 - 08:02 AM

How much funny can you buy for a bunny? Funny how much honey a bunny is worth, in a world Where it's sunny

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users