Malazan Empire: COVID-19 (aka Coronavirus, aka 2019-nCoV) - Malazan Empire

• 174 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

COVID-19 (aka Coronavirus, aka 2019-nCoV)

#3301 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 29 March 2022 - 07:36 AM

There's coof in my house!

Had to take wife to the hospital yesterday as she was coming up short on breath, struggling to breathe, painful when breathing. She's fine, but feels like ass warmed up and then spread like butter across mouldy toast. I have yet to catch it, but whether that's dumb luck or a matter of time remains to be seen.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#3302 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 29 March 2022 - 08:08 AM

Wifey still testing Negative, I'm still testing positive, it's a bizarre situation where you might not get it at all

#3303 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 30 March 2022 - 07:21 AM

I didn't realise that there were literally NO restrictions in England, like you don't isolate if you test positive by law now, hell you don't even have to test. That's mental

Test line this morning definitely a shade fainter, I'd say I've another 2 days of positive tests

#3304 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 30 March 2022 - 07:31 AM

Macros, on 30 March 2022 - 07:21 AM, said:

I didn't realise that there were literally NO restrictions in England, like you don't isolate if you test positive by law now, hell you don't even have to test. That's mental

Test line this morning definitely a shade fainter, I'd say I've another 2 days of positive tests

It largely comes down to the Tories' original plan being to use the pandemic to kill off those in elderly / vulnerable care because they are not profitable to their party. We've been slowly mismanaged until people got fed up and said 'fuck these restrictions' and here we go herd immunity.

The other thing is that isolating / work from home costs them corporate rent profits and public transport profits, so forcing everything back to the way it was is the quickest way for them to be making more money again (and considering a lot of companies are continuing WFH, it's no surprise the Tories are using energy bills and petrol costs to make their overheads back).

Pretty much it all boils down to the Nasty Party wanting to wring the worker for yet more money. It was ever thus.

#3305 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 30 March 2022 - 11:48 AM

No free testing as of Friday either.

I'm still remarkably rough given Omicron supposed to be mild, I've had 3 shots of moderna and I'm not at risk. I am now 11 days from first feeling symptoms. Last Saturday (day 8) I felt ok and did a load of gardening thinking the fresh air and sunshine would do me good. I've been a mess since. Fatigue, bunged up head and chesty cough. I can't really function without paracetamol first thing in the morning.

This post has been edited by Mezla PigDog: 30 March 2022 - 11:50 AM

Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#3306 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 30 March 2022 - 11:51 AM

Don't tell me that Mez, I've been telling myself I'll be clear of it by the weekend!

I'm double astra Pfizer booster, absolutely no idea if this has any bearing as there's so many other variables

I've been tipping away in the apartment getting stuff done, not killing myself but bar my day on the sofa on Saturday certainly not idle, is this a bad idea or am I just lucky that I can toddle on?

#3307 User is offline   Cyphon 

• Cagey Bastard of TQB
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 30 March 2022 - 02:51 PM

Most of the evidence seems to say to be careful on how quickly you go back to exerting yourself. I'd suggest you take it easy and ease you way back into things when you feel fully well.
Para todos todo, para nosotros nada.

MottI'd always pegged you as more of an Ublala

#3308 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 30 March 2022 - 07:58 PM

Macros, on 30 March 2022 - 11:51 AM, said:

I've been tipping away in the apartment getting stuff done, not killing myself but bar my day on the sofa on Saturday certainly not idle, is this a bad idea or am I just lucky that I can toddle on?

Couldn't tell you. One of my problems is that I rested so much in the first week that I got my sleep cycle out of whack so i keep being wide awake 1am to 5am. Then I feel like death when it's time to get up at 7am. Everyone I speak to who had it with symptoms bad enough to lay them low for a day or two says the same as Cyphon though.

Four of 17 UK based people in my team have it right now. We all work at home so didn't spread it between us. One colleague gave it to her frail parents and her mum was unconscious yesterday morning and now in hospital. It's horrible.

This post has been edited by Mezla PigDog: 30 March 2022 - 08:03 PM

Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#3309 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 30 March 2022 - 08:47 PM

'I've been reporting on COVID-19 since the coronavirus pandemic started, and I thought I knew what an infection would be like for a young, otherwise healthy person like me. [...]

I was vaccinated and boosted, and my case was indeed mild: sore throat, sinus pressure and headache, extreme fatigue. After eight days, I was feeling better, and I tested negative two days in a row using rapid antigen tests. [...]

[...] One glass of wine left me feeling the next day like I'd had a whole bottle. I was bone-achingly exhausted but couldn't sleep that night.

In the days and weeks that followed, as I managed the insomnia, I was also contending with bouts of extreme fatigue brought on by physical activities that are usually easy and even energizing for me: going for a long walk in the cold, riding an exercise bike, taking a sauna. The waves of fatigue, which I started calling "crashes," felt like I was coming down with a sickness in real time: weakened muscles, body aches, the feeling that all you can do is lie down. The crashes lasted for a couple of days, I'd recover slowly, and the cycle would inevitably repeat when I would accidentally push myself beyond my new and unfamiliar limit. It took me about six weeks to start feeling better.

[...] "I just felt like there were weights on my chest. I couldn't sleep properly. When I woke up, if I moved around too much, I would start coughing immediately," [...]

[...] If people have been feeling bad for only a few weeks, [...] considers that to be the tail end of the illness itself. The [long COVID] clinic isn't really in the business of treating COVID-19 in its acute phase.

[...] that awkward gray area: people who have been feeling bad for six to eight weeks after their initial infection. [...] when those people come into his clinic, which they often do, he generally sends them home and tells them to rest. They'll likely get better on their own if they take it easy.'

People with 'medium COVID' are caught in a gray area of recovery with little support - NPR

#3310 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 31 March 2022 - 07:46 AM

I now have it and it's kicking me all oert oyle.

The worst bit is, despite working in legal practice, I don't make enough to fund our household on just my income - wife only gets SSP when ill due to the Coof and the remainder is non recoverable. So if she's off work for much longer past the weekend, we'll have to ask my parents for financial help just to keep our house running.

State of this fucking country.

#3311 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 31 March 2022 - 08:51 AM

Fuck I really don't appreciate how fortunate our situation is, hope your wife clears for the weekend Maark.

I'm still testing positive, feel 100% though. Probably doing a bit too much which is prolonging the whole thing but I really struggle to sit at night when there's so much to do and the weather's half decent

#3312 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 31 March 2022 - 11:21 AM

You will still test positive for weeks after you get over it.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#3313 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 31 March 2022 - 11:47 AM

Tsundoku, on 31 March 2022 - 11:21 AM, said:

That's probably a £2000 parental loan to simply cover existing, then, if not more. She works in autism / SEN care and she can't work if she's positive. And there's no way to reclaim lost earnings for her because there's no tort and her employer only pay SSP. £96 a week vs approx £450 a week.

Side note: pretty disgusting how legal practice pays me sub £20k a year but that's wage stagnancy under the Tories I guess.

#3314 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 31 March 2022 - 12:34 PM

Maark Abbott, on 31 March 2022 - 11:47 AM, said:

Tsundoku, on 31 March 2022 - 11:21 AM, said:

That's probably a £2000 parental loan to simply cover existing, then, if not more. She works in autism / SEN care and she can't work if she's positive. And there's no way to reclaim lost earnings for her because there's no tort and her employer only pay SSP. £96 a week vs approx £450 a week.

Side note: pretty disgusting how legal practice pays me sub £20k a year but that's wage stagnancy under the Tories I guess.

I hope you both get better soon. Thats sucks man.

As for the positivity thing, I could be wrong, but the long positivity is not a "contagiousness" indicator. You stop being contagious long before you stop testing positive for it being in your system. I'd ask the doctor about it as I don't think she'd be a risk to work after a certain amount of time of feeling better.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#3315 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 31 March 2022 - 02:01 PM

Had a wee nap this afternoon after lunch
Probably should have been doing this every day. Didn't realise how low I was until I had the nap. Pooped now

#3316 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 31 March 2022 - 02:31 PM

My elderly parents got their fourth shot today.

I'm planning on getting mine tomorrow. Will be easy since I got my first booster under an alias. No need to trek out to one of the few places that doesn't demand ID this time.

Free vaccine administration for the uninsured ends next week in the United States... garbage fire public policy. They should be distributing free bullet-proof space-suits with built-in covid testing and red light therapy....

#3317 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 31 March 2022 - 04:19 PM

or you know, lifting guns off the streets to save on bullet proof part

#3318 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 31 March 2022 - 05:44 PM

Macros, on 31 March 2022 - 04:19 PM, said:

or you know, lifting guns off the streets to save on bullet proof part

We've got to be realistic.

The space-suits will also help us float through the floods of toxic and irradiated water (and bullets)... they really should be puncture-proof in general. And have space for cats inside.

Toss in 3D printing new vaccine boosters while we're at it....

#3319 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 31 March 2022 - 11:46 PM

Well, my 5 year old has it. Boo.

We are all isolating at home for the next 5 days, and we had to cancel the staycation at a local hotel we had planned this weekend.

Hopefully she manages it alright. She’s got a sore throat and a bit of a cough so far (she’s double vaxxed)…and the wife, myself and my son are all negative thus far.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#3320 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 01 April 2022 - 01:57 AM

'Robotic dog broadcasting covid lockdown protocols in ghost town Shanghai - feels apocalyptic'

'A robotic dog acting as a public messenger to dispense Covid-19 prevention advice in Shanghai went viral as the city continued to fight its worst outbreak so far. The robot was carrying a loudspeaker on its back and strolling around [...] blaring messages such as: "Wear face masks, wash your hands frequently, take your temperature and disinfect your flat, [...] Gather less and improve indoor ventilation[...] Fight against the pandemic with science and stay civilised when outdoors."'

robotic dog Covid-19 messenger South China Morning Post (scmp.com)

Share this topic:

• 174 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users