Malazan Empire: COVID-19 (aka Coronavirus, aka 2019-nCoV) - Malazan Empire

• 174 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

COVID-19 (aka Coronavirus, aka 2019-nCoV)

#3321 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 01 April 2022 - 07:25 AM

Never mind robotic dogs, Mac posted his first clear test, woohoo!

#3322 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 01 April 2022 - 11:49 AM

I take it the nose beers passed through your system then?

;)
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#3323 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 02 April 2022 - 05:28 PM

Son has it now. Only a matter of time till the wife and I come down with it too
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#3324 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 02 April 2022 - 07:07 PM

Planned to get my fourth shot yesterday, hopefully before the BA.2 wave surges here. Set my alarm to get up early, got up earlier, decided I needed to make certain I knew where my vaccination card was. Because the US is such a ridiculous clusterfuck that we ended up relying on flimsy paper cards (with a template people can easily download and print on card stock themselves) we were told not to lose because 'we would need them' for future vaccinations. I thought I was being good about this. Was pretty sure I knew where it was, and... it was not there. Tore up my closet searching blearily for it. Looked in a few other possible places. Decided to give myself some time to wake up and search again. Wrote out list of possible locations, searched, didn't find it. Read I could get a replacement but it might take 5 days just to process the request. Before searching more I called the pharmacy to ask if it would be an issue (since I did have a photo of my vaccination card on my phone)---no, they said. So I scheduled an appointment.

I'd written right on my schedule to double check that no rain was forecast for the time I'd be going down and... forgot until after I'd scheduled the appointment. But light rain was being predicted, and I have an umbrella with a plastic visor to see through while holding it low enough to cover my face, so I didn't bother rescheduling. Thought there might even be fewer people (if enough people understand that moisture makes N95 masks much less effective... and if enough people were wearing N95 masks to begin with).

Ended up getting another Pfizer shot---so that's first two Moderna, second two Pfizer. Mild soreness in my arm and a bit of fatigue, but overall not as bad as last time---so far. (They also gave me a new vaccination card, which I again put in a safe place---but this time wrote down *where* I put it.) Been trying to cram in as much advanced math as possible before the potential fatigue/headache/fever hit, which is probably causing a substantial part of the fatigue.

Luckily I've scheduled my deliveries so that I won't have to pick anything up for the next two weeks, so I should be able to completely avoid being indoors with other people until then.

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 02 April 2022 - 07:08 PM

#3325 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 02 April 2022 - 10:12 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 02 April 2022 - 05:28 PM, said:

Not necessarily.

Plenty of instances with households not all getting it

#3326 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 02 April 2022 - 10:57 PM

View PostMacros, on 02 April 2022 - 10:12 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 02 April 2022 - 05:28 PM, said:

Not necessarily.

Plenty of instances with households not all getting it

True. Anything is possible. Daughter is feeling better today than yesterday…son was fine this morning but spiked a 40 degree fever this aft and is miserable. Poor lad.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#3327 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 05 April 2022 - 01:31 AM

Wife and I officially have it now. Mild symptoms.

#3328 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 05 April 2022 - 07:23 PM

In the category of most obvious outcome/results - the fraud and waste that has been revealed relative to the Covid relief packages and PPP.

#3329 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 05 April 2022 - 07:52 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 05 April 2022 - 01:31 AM, said:

Good luck! Took me 16 days before I felt ok but at no point was I terribly ill.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#3330 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 05 April 2022 - 11:44 PM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 05 April 2022 - 07:52 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 05 April 2022 - 01:31 AM, said:

Good luck! Took me 16 days before I felt ok but at no point was I terribly ill.

Thx Mez!

#3331 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 06 April 2022 - 02:54 PM

Here's hoping it stays mild and that you all can slowly, yet surely build back up to being well again.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#3332 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 06 April 2022 - 03:01 PM

For me it was two days of being out of it with blocked sinuses and a slightly sore throat, then a week of working at home and now back in work. I hope the same goes for you, QT, as it is no worse than most common colds I've had.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#3333 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 06 April 2022 - 03:09 PM

View Postamphibian, on 06 April 2022 - 02:54 PM, said:

Here's hoping it stays mild and that you all can slowly, yet surely build back up to being well again.

View PostGorefest, on 06 April 2022 - 03:01 PM, said:

For me it was two days of being out of it with blocked sinuses and a slightly sore throat, then a week of working at home and now back in work. I hope the same goes for you, QT, as it is no worse than most common colds I've had.

Kids are mending. Daughter has no symptoms at all anymore and feels fine (she's vaccinated) now, and my son has stopped spiking fevers but still has a ragged cough.

Wife and I basically feel like we have colds, nothing more, so yeah happy to have it be mild.

#3334 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 06 April 2022 - 03:43 PM

Sounds like you're getting the 'easy run' hope it pans out that way for you guys

#3335 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 06 April 2022 - 04:14 PM

Thanks muchly!

#3336 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 07 April 2022 - 07:38 AM

Update. I was wiped by it. Had to take four days off of work - was out of commission for six full days. Still feel quite weak but going to try and get back to it today.

Because my wife tested negative as of Friday morning, I had to isolate in my office - she works with vulnerable young adults with learning disabilities who for varied and sundry reasons can't be vaccinated, and she doesn't get pay outside of SSP for being ill, so if I reinfected her we'd be financially fucked AND I'd potentially be spreading it to kids who are legitimately at risk of the worst outcomes if they get it. I got to hug her for the first time in nearly a full week today. Tonight, I return to my own bed (I've been using a mattress in my home office as a temporary measure, and basically sequestered myself away in here until I tested negative twice on the bounce. Currently, I've got the washing on with everything I've worn since being locked away, disinfected my desk etc.

Just gotta hope that I feel well enough to get back to the gym, band practice etc soon.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#3337 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 07 April 2022 - 11:28 AM

I spoke too soon. It's been kicking my ass since middle of the day yesterday. like a bad flu. No energy, hot and cold spells, rumbly cough. This suuuuuuuuuucks.

#3338 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 07 April 2022 - 11:52 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 07 April 2022 - 11:28 AM, said:

I spoke too soon. It's been kicking my ass since middle of the day yesterday. like a bad flu. No energy, hot and cold spells, rumbly cough. This suuuuuuuuuucks.

Yeah man it's minging. Hope you get past it soon.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#3339 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 07 April 2022 - 12:14 PM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 07 April 2022 - 11:52 AM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 07 April 2022 - 11:28 AM, said:

Yeah man it's minging. Hope you get past it soon.

Thanks man, I feel your pain.

#3340 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 07 April 2022 - 04:44 PM

'XE is 10 percent more contagious than BA.2, which itself is up to 80 percent more contagious than BA.1, a subvariant epidemiologists described as the most transmissible respiratory virus they'd ever seen[...]

[...] The WHO stressed that its own finding about the subvariant "requires further confirmation." But [...] it seems XE evolved in someone with overlapping BA.1 and BA.2 infections[... which] swapped genetic material.

[...] The subvariant hasn't shown up in U.S. tests yet. But [...] "It might not be detected by the standard analysis pipeline," [...]

[...] XE is a nasty bug, owing to potentially dozens of mutations to its spike protein[...]

[...] "but it seems not to be more severe or immune-evasive."

[...] "We should expect several additional subvariants to come out of this, but which ones accelerate–and where–right now seems uncharted,"'

Two Omicron Variants Just Combined to Make 'XE,' a 'Frankenstein' COVID Virus (thedailybeast.com)

Locally, infections more than doubled in the last 10 days. Expected to reintroduce mask mandates on this Monday or next. Silver lining could be more events being held outdoors or in extremely well-ventilated / open-air structures.

Being more infectious but no more severe could also result in the surge not lasting as long, being more concentrated in time, and consequently greater population level immunity for a while afterwards... but also tapering off and expiring sooner. Depending on how closely related the next set of variants is to these, and whether any of them are more immune-evasive....

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 07 April 2022 - 04:45 PM

Share this topic:

• 174 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users