Malazan Empire: COVID-19 (aka Coronavirus, aka 2019-nCoV) - Malazan Empire

• 174 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

COVID-19 (aka Coronavirus, aka 2019-nCoV)

#3281 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 12 March 2022 - 05:17 AM

View PostJames Hutton, on 11 March 2022 - 03:49 PM, said:

Remember when half of Oz was on fire early 2020 and we thought it couldn't possibly get worse?

Painfully. That was after a few years of drought, and now we've had a couple of years of La Nina dumping rain on us in very, very large amounts.

One extreme to another, more frequently. What climate change? :p
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#3282 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken
  • https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XbGs_qK2PQA

Posted 15 March 2022 - 05:32 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 12 March 2022 - 05:17 AM, said:

Remember when half of Oz was on fire early 2020 and we thought it couldn't possibly get worse?

Painfully. That was after a few years of drought, and now we've had a couple of years of La Nina dumping rain on us in very, very large amounts.

The most interesting thing to me about climate change is they( as in the politicians) want to change from gasoline to lithium battery powered vehicles, solar and windmills. The storage of energy is a big point of this. All of which require a massive amount of mining to produce in their current form.

It’s like people just haven’t done the research on the toll of this switch. Strip mines anyone ? Mining seems quite lucrative moving forward.

For reference:
https://www.manhatta...y-reality-check

Of course this same concept applies to stuff we put in our bodies..and just go with the flow.

This post has been edited by Nicodimas: 15 March 2022 - 05:33 PM

-If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone

#3283 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 15 March 2022 - 06:43 PM

View PostNicodimas, on 15 March 2022 - 05:32 PM, said:

View PostTsundoku, on 12 March 2022 - 05:17 AM, said:

The most interesting thing to me about climate change is they( as in the politicians) want to change from gasoline to lithium battery powered vehicles, solar and windmills. The storage of energy is a big point of this. All of which require a massive amount of mining to produce in their current form.

It’s like people just haven’t done the research on the toll of this switch. Strip mines anyone ? Mining seems quite lucrative moving forward.

For reference:
https://www.manhatta...y-reality-check

I know this kind of conspiracy nonsense is your bread and butter man, but come back down to earth for a jot.

Here's all that garbage debunked.

https://www.epa.gov/...c-vehicle-myths

And the mining of the materials for EV batteries is a recyclable action in future.

Oh, and heads up, your link is to an extremely conservative bent, and corporate-funded institute website....thus, their bias is in wanting oil and gas to continue as long as it can and not in the interest of dealing with climate change.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#3284 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 15 March 2022 - 07:57 PM

My younger brother got COVID this past week. He experienced a cough, tiredness, headache at first. Now, no smell, no taste, light cough, less tired.

He's not in serious danger due to anything, but his brain is still being messed with. The family at large's emotional state and my emotional state is best described as "we hope it doesn't get worse, we're kinda scared what no smell and no taste means long-term."
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#3285 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 16 March 2022 - 12:35 PM

View Postamphibian, on 15 March 2022 - 07:57 PM, said:

My younger brother got COVID this past week. He experienced a cough, tiredness, headache at first. Now, no smell, no taste, light cough, less tired.

He's not in serious danger due to anything, but his brain is still being messed with. The family at large's emotional state and my emotional state is best described as "we hope it doesn't get worse, we're kinda scared what no smell and no taste means long-term."

If it helps, Most people I've heard about who lost their taste and smell did regain them eventually, so hopefully the same is true for your brother. I hope he feels better soon and makes it out of this alright. COVID is a really shitty crapshoot.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#3286 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 16 March 2022 - 01:28 PM

Also, it means he can now fight crime in smelly locations without negative status effects. The sewer triads better watch out.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#3287 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 16 March 2022 - 05:39 PM

'In previous waves, increases in Covid hospitalizations lagged behind jumps in cases by about 10 days to two weeks. Now, in the UK, cases and hospitalizations seem to be rising in tandem, something that has experts stumped.'

Could that be explained by decrease in testing outside hospitals?... in which case the actual number of cases may be much higher.

'Covid-19 cases were up 48% in the UK last week compared with the week before. [...] cases are rising as fast as they were falling just two weeks earlier, when the country removed pandemic-related restrictions.

Daily cases are also rising in more than half of the countries in the European Union. They've jumped 48% in the Netherlands [...]

BA.2 has been growing steadily in the US. Last week, the CDC estimated it was causing about 12% of new Covid-19 cases here.
Meanwhile, BA.2 now accounts for more than 50% of cases in the UK and several other European countries.

"The tipping point seems to be right around 50%," [...] "That's when we really start to see that variant flex its power in the population" as far as showing its severity.

[...] "What we see happening in the UK is going to be perhaps a better story than what we should be expecting here," [...]

In the Netherlands, it took about a month for BA.2 to overpower BA.1[...] If the same timeline occurs in the US, that will mean the variant is taking off just as the immunity generated by winter's Omicron infections will be waning.

[...] It will be important for people to understand they may be able to take their masks off for a few weeks, Althoff said, but they might also need to go back to wearing them regularly if cases spike.'

What rising Covid-19 infections in the UK and Europe could mean for the US - CNN

... or we could just keep the damn masks on and restrictions in place. But no, that would be too 'inconvenient' for too many....

Don't seem to be nearly as many outdoor events around here as there were last year, even as the weather gets warmer. Might change with spring but I doubt it....

Still no news about the US Army's universal coronavirus vaccine (iirc they claimed results from Phase 1 would be published within a few weeks back in January)... which may be bad news.

'a pan-COVID vaccine might be slightly less effective than, say, the current mRNA vaccines were against the earliest SARS-CoV-2 lineages. The mRNA vaccines peaked at 90-percent or greater effectiveness, but have slowly lost effectiveness as newer lineages evolve to evade them.

The promise of a universal vaccine is that, while potentially less effective overall, it won’t lose effectiveness even as the various coronaviruses it combats mutate in an effort to thwart it.'

COVID’s Turbo-Mutation Is Killing This Vax Dream, So What’s Next? (thedailybeast.com)

#3288 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 16 March 2022 - 11:57 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 16 March 2022 - 12:35 PM, said:

View Postamphibian, on 15 March 2022 - 07:57 PM, said:

If it helps, Most people I've heard about who lost their taste and smell did regain them eventually, so hopefully the same is true for your brother. I hope he feels better soon and makes it out of this alright. COVID is a really shitty crapshoot.

Thanks for the good words, QT and the other person who I can't see due to mobile posting. I'm quoting QT bc he came first, so this is the reply. EDIT: Gorefest is the crime fighting genius.

My best friend and her husband got the same effects last July. They still haven't recovered the senses fully and the husband tragi-comedically laments the taste thing regularly in our hangouts.

I'm a wee bit happy to get some real smelly stuff to give my brother, while hoping he recovers soon.

This post has been edited by amphibian: 16 March 2022 - 11:58 PM

I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#3289 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken
  • https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XbGs_qK2PQA

Posted 17 March 2022 - 02:37 AM

My brothers a firefighter had it a couple times now , lost smell and taste each for sure. Same thing with his family.

My nephew was super psyched to get his taste back randomly later
-If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone

#3290 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 20 March 2022 - 01:46 PM

Johns Hopkins:

'COVID and the Heart: It Spares No One

[...] people who suffered mild or asymptomatic COVID-19 were thought to have dodged the brunt of the virus's brutal side effects. But new evidence has revealed that anyone infected with COVID is at higher risk for heart issues—including clots, inflammation, and arrhythmias—a risk that persists even in relatively healthy people long after the illness has passed.

[...] a higher risk of all sorts of heart problems at one year. That included arrhythmias (irregular heart beats or the heart beating too fast or too slow) and atrial fibrillation (a fast heart rhythm in a particular pattern). We found evidence of an increased risk of stroke, of blood clots in the legs and the lungs, and of heart failure and heart attacks. The increased risk of a broad spectrum of heart problems was evident.

[...] in people who did not have any heart problems start with, were athletic, did not have a high BMI, were not obese, did not smoke, did not have kidney disease or diabetes—even in people who were previously healthy and had no risk factors or problems with the heart—COVID-19 affected them in such a way that manifested the higher risk of heart problems than people who did not get COVID-19.

[...] People who got COVID-19 and were asymptomatic, or got COVID-19 that was so mild that they were able to nurse it at home, without going to the doctor still developed an increased risk of heart problems a year out.'

https://publichealth...t-spares-no-one

... but the study was on unvaccinated people. Still not clear how much protection vaccination provides.

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 20 March 2022 - 01:47 PM

#3291 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 26 March 2022 - 03:10 PM

I've got the COVID, the pangolins got me

#3292 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 26 March 2022 - 04:51 PM

I've just got over it. If I get a negative LFT again tomorrow I can go out. Otherwise may be at home until Wednesday. Mr PigDog is positive but symptom free. The little one was ill with it last weekend, we got him back to school yesterday. I had 5 days of burning lungs and exhaustion. Apart from the lung burn it's not been worse than a regular bad cold for me. So many people in the UK have it right now. We'll see from death rates in the next few weeks if the rule relaxation was 'worth' it.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#3293 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 26 March 2022 - 05:11 PM

I was fairly sure it was the change in the season mugginess when I got up this morning, coupled with a bit of hayfever but energy levels just kept dropping

I'm sure there's no good time to get it, but man this is bad timing for me work wise 😂

#3294 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 26 March 2022 - 05:35 PM

Did a massive poop there and feel better so figure my body has dealt with it how I deal with all ills, toilet bowl the

#3295 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 26 March 2022 - 10:57 PM

Someone needs to write a song with a title like "Poop the bad times away".
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#3296 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 27 March 2022 - 07:36 AM

View PostTsundoku, on 26 March 2022 - 10:57 PM, said:

Someone needs to write a song with a title like "Poop the bad times away".

Poop the Pain Away, surely?
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#3297 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 27 March 2022 - 08:51 AM

Feeling a lot better this morning energy levels wise. Still can feel there's something in my chest, don't think I have 100% lung capacity but definitely back to 90+

#3298 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 27 March 2022 - 10:58 AM

View PostMacros, on 27 March 2022 - 08:51 AM, said:

Feeling a lot better this morning energy levels wise. Still can feel there's something in my chest, don't think I have 100% lung capacity but definitely back to 90+

Glad it’s not too rough a ride for you man!

#3299 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 27 March 2022 - 11:36 AM

Frustrating more than anything, builder needs shit done to close up the building I'm working on. And of course it's the first decent size project I've taken on on my own, in a move to work more at home

#3300 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 27 March 2022 - 02:15 PM

Fairly sure Guinness will aid the healing process too, doctors used to prescribe it all the time

Share this topic:

• 174 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users