Malazan Empire: COVID-19 (aka Coronavirus, aka 2019-nCoV) - Malazan Empire

• 174 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

COVID-19 (aka Coronavirus, aka 2019-nCoV)

#2101 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 16 November 2020 - 03:41 PM

'U.S. biotech firm Moderna announced Monday that preliminary analysis shows that its COVID-19 vaccine is nearly 95 percent effective at preventing the disease. It appears to be particularly effective at stopping people from falling severely ill [...] Moderna said its vaccine would be easier to store as it remains stable at minus 20 degrees Celsius for up to six months, and can be kept in a standard fridge for up to 30 days.'

https://www.thedaily...torage?ref=home

But Putin's new vaccine will be 97% effective....

#2102 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 16 November 2020 - 04:04 PM

Queue MAGA hat conspiracy wack-jobs collectively screaming - "see I told you!"

#2103 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 16 November 2020 - 05:42 PM

'I can’t help but think of the Covid patients the last few days. The ones that stick out are those who still don’t believe the virus is real. The ones who scream at you for a magic medicine and that Joe Biden is

Going to ruin the USA. All while gasping for breath on 100% Vapotherm. They tell you there must be another reason they are sick. They call you names and ask why you have to wear all that “stuff” because they don’t have COViD because it’s not real. Yes. This really happens. And

I can’t stop thinking about it. These people really think this isn’t going to happen to them. And then they stop yelling at you when they get intubated. It’s like a fucking horror movie that never ends. There’s no credits that roll. You just go back and do it all over again.'

https://twitter.com/...771329555292162

'A South Dakota nurse whose tweets went viral over the weekend says the hardest part of her job is convincing some critically ill patients that they really do have COVID-19. “Their last dying words are, ‘This can’t be happening, it’s not real,” Jodi Doering said on CNN. “Even after positive results come back, they don’t believe it.”

South Dakota is one of the nation’s worst coronavirus hot spots, but Gov. Kristi Noem has downplayed the threat of the virus and refused to put a mask mandate in place. Doering says some of her patients are also in denial, willing to believe almost anything else has made them so sick. “People want it to be influenza, they want it to be pneumonia, we’ve even had people say, ‘I think it could be lung cancer,’” she said. The nurse said that when she offers to hook some patients up with family by FaceTime for a last conversation, they say, ‘No, because I’m doing fine.’”'

https://www.thedaily...s-fake?ref=home

#2104 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 16 November 2020 - 11:50 PM

My older brother used to be a courier for a network of hospitals and doctors' offices. I'm guessing that occupation is going to pick up and drivers will be in demand. Probably will need to have a commercial driver's license with specific Class requirements.

#2105 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 17 November 2020 - 08:57 AM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 13 November 2020 - 01:02 PM, said:

I professionally know 3 of the companies they have given testing contracts to. They all have a modest to good track records in the field so are not entirely inappropriate - some of it is being reported a lot more harshly than I think it should for the specific companies. I totally agree the contract should have all gone out to tender though. I also professionally know the company they have asked to be the main supplier of devices to the lighthouse testing labs and they are entirely appropriate but again it didn't go out to tender.

The rapid testing contracts for the moon shot stuff are total gubbins. The companies do have a track record but only in early days feasibility of tests and the technology, not a full blown track record of high volume delivery of this stuff. The reason the UK government have chosen them all is because they are UK based. There are companies with better pedigree outside the UK and they offered tests but the UK government has this attitude of wanting to go it alone using companies within our borders. I guess for security of supply reasons I can see why but for speed to access of working technology it's kind of bonkers.

I don't want to come across as an apologist for this government. Cronyism and incompetence through and through. I have a problem with my industry being constantly panned in the press though. This is science and you don't get quick answers or something that is easy to explain in a news article. The government don't help by spouting off lines about big wins and game changers. Science doesn't work like that. None of the tests I have seen are inappropriate for this stage of getting to know this virus. The way they are "sold" to us by people with vested interests in looking like they know what they are doing is the problem. It all deflects time, money and attention from Test, Trace and Isolate which is the only "technology" with a proven track record in epidemics.

I keep reading up about vaccine skepticism and they are lumping people who are skeptic about newly developed coronavirus vaccines in with your traditional anti-vaxxers. I think this is silly. I'm a little nervous about the idea of taking a vaccine that has been accelerated by political interference and I am hugely pro-vaccine. I hope they get the messaging right about any safe vaccine that they want to roll out as I expect the majority of people want to take but are not sure if they can trust the politicians and "big pharma" involvement in a fast track process.

RE the industry - my issue is entirely around the government's handling specifically. It turns out my mum is working for the CCG just now and I asked her about the safety of the vaccine given the speed it's been pushed through at.

The words. They were so long. SO LONG. But essentially it doesn't seem like such a concern now.

Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#2106 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 18 November 2020 - 11:47 PM

'[...] COVID Truthers Try to Invade Hospital [...]

[...] conspiracy theorists who made repeated visits to the hospital in recent weeks. They decided that the small number of cars outside the Provo facility was evidence that the pandemic is a hoax. They entered the hospital with video cameras seeking to film what they believed would be an equally empty ICU.

"It's conspiracy theorists that believe what they're being told is not accurate," [...] "They're determined to videotape and capture the proof of that by accessing our facilities. We've had some people get really creative in how they've lied about coming in for an appointment or other things."

None of the intruders seem to have gained entry to the ICU. But had they succeeded, they would have only been able to document it was in fact at full capacity, with a brave and dedicated staff under great physical and emotional strain. Had the intruders been less deluded they might have understood that the small number cars in the parking lot is explained by posted restrictions on visitors that are standard at hospitals during the pandemic. [...]

[...] intruders kept on attempting to enter Utah Valley despite being warned away by cops. A dispiriting number of deniers also telephoned the hospital.

"We have an inordinate amount of phone calls that we're receiving every day from the community wanting to know: 'Is your ICU really full?'"

[...] "The big thing I think is so silly about all this is how could this possibly be fake? The whole world would have to be faking it."

One explanation that comes to him is that the deniers are trying to protect the person who got the delusion going in the first place.

"They're trying to protect the president," he said. "They want to make this all fake."'

https://www.thedaily...n-died?ref=home

'38 percent of Americans say they are likely to participate in gatherings of more than 10 family members this holiday season, and a third would not ask others to wear masks at holiday gatherings.'

https://www.vox.com/...istancing-masks

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 18 November 2020 - 11:48 PM

#2107 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 19 November 2020 - 06:33 PM

State just added purple to the covid threat level, cause red isn't scary enough.

#2108 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 20 November 2020 - 08:25 AM

Norn Iron is opening up for a week then going into a two week hard lock down.

Like what is the fucking point? Just maintain where we are and then do the hard lock down

Just do the hard lock down.

Fuck me but our politicians are inept

#2109 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 20 November 2020 - 08:38 AM

View PostMacros, on 20 November 2020 - 08:25 AM, said:

Norn Iron is opening up for a week then going into a two week hard lock down.

Like what is the fucking point? Just maintain where we are and then do the hard lock down

Just do the hard lock down.

Fuck me but our politicians are inept

You're part of the UK my dude, it follows that your guys have to be ineffective wankers as well!
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#2110 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 20 November 2020 - 02:08 PM

'Pfizer will ask U.S. health regulators on Friday for approval to use its COVID-19 on millions of Americans[...] the U.S. Food and Drug Administration will decide whether the two-shot vaccine is safe enough to roll out to the general public. It’s not known how long the agency will take to make its decision, but it’s expected to move quickly and Pfizer said the filing could allow for distribution to begin by the middle to end of December.'

https://www.thedaily...accine?ref=home

#2111 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 21 November 2020 - 01:00 AM

'Donald J. Trump Retweeted
Rep. Jim Jordan
@Jim_Jordan

9h
Don't lockdown the country.
Don't impose curfews.
Don't close schools.

Let Americans decide for themselves.

And celebrate Thanksgiving.'

https://twitter.com/...800517917306887

Horrible. Guess I shouldn't be very surprised.

The Woodward interviews demonstrate that Trump knew from the beginning that this is (his words) 'deadly stuff'. But 'Areas Worst Hit By Covid-19 Voted For Trump [...] An overwhelming 93% of the counties with the highest rate of new coronavirus cases per capita'

https://www.forbes.c...it-record-high/

Same day Don Jr. and Rudy Giuliani's son tested positive too. Rudy Giuliani tested negative this afternoon, though he could still have it (or get it soon...).

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 21 November 2020 - 01:41 AM

#2112 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 21 November 2020 - 01:39 AM

Gym Jordan is a PLAGUE.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#2113 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 21 November 2020 - 05:41 PM

Rec centers and pools shutting down starting Monday for at least 28 days.

Looks like I gotta diversify my walking routes, cuz that's all I got left keeping me from going crazy.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#2114 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 23 November 2020 - 03:41 PM

We are, as of today, in Toronto and Peel areas of Ontario back in Lockdown. That said, it's not like the first lockdown for two reasons - Schools/daycares are still open...which is stupid as a LOT of cases are coming from there, and offices and other businesses are ignoring the lockdown entirely and making people work anyways, the third phantom and most ominous bad in this is that it's ONLY Toronto and Peel....so you can drive for 20 minutes and be in York Region, or Halton which are not locked down, to do the stuff you want for those selfish people who do that...so like play dough being smooshed in a hydraulic press...unless the majority of the province is in the same level of lock (enough to make it a TASK to drive elsewhere; I'd say Muskoka would be the right dividing line as it's 3-4 hours away north) then our 28 day lockdown (which takes us to Dec 20th) will only extend to other places over that time and by Christmas the whole province will be on lockdown ANYWAYS.

My gods, the provincial govt has NO idea about being proactive...it's ALL reactive. In September when the cases were in the early 100's...THAT was the time....now that we are cresting between 1500 and 2k cases daily, it's FAR too late.

Anyways, this timeline sucks. Have I mentioned that?

Little did I know when I began this thread in early 2020 that it would be this long and still going...but here we fucking are.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#2115 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 23 November 2020 - 03:54 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 23 November 2020 - 03:41 PM, said:

We are, as of today, in Toronto and Peel areas of Ontario back in Lockdown. That said, it's not like the first lockdown for two reasons - Schools/daycares are still open...which is stupid as a LOT of cases are coming from there, and offices and other businesses are ignoring the lockdown entirely and making people work anyways, the third phantom and most ominous bad in this is that it's ONLY Toronto and Peel....so you can drive for 20 minutes and be in York Region, or Halton which are not locked down, to do the stuff you want for those selfish people who do that...so like play dough being smooshed in a hydraulic press...unless the majority of the province is in the same level of lock (enough to make it a TASK to drive elsewhere; I'd say Muskoka would be the right dividing line as it's 3-4 hours away north) then our 28 day lockdown (which takes us to Dec 20th) will only extend to other places over that time and by Christmas the whole province will be on lockdown ANYWAYS.

My gods, the provincial govt has NO idea about being proactive...it's ALL reactive. In September when the cases were in the early 100's...THAT was the time....now that we are cresting between 1500 and 2k cases daily, it's FAR too late.

Anyways, this timeline sucks. Have I mentioned that?

Little did I know when I began this thread in early 2020 that it would be this long and still going...but here we fucking are.

Ottawa here, it hasn't been quite as bad at TO/Peel but i am kind of amazed the lockdown was limited. I suspect they thought if they made an example of the worse areas the rest of the prov would get in line but what i'm seeing isn't supporting that.

Could be worse, we could be in Alberta... their Minister of Health is about one bad decision short of going full Republican.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#2116 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 23 November 2020 - 04:02 PM

View PostAbyss, on 23 November 2020 - 03:54 PM, said:

Ottawa here, it hasn't been quite as bad at TO/Peel but i am kind of amazed the lockdown was limited. I suspect they thought if they made an example of the worse areas the rest of the prov would get in line but what i'm seeing isn't supporting that.

Could be worse, we could be in Alberta... their Minister of Health is about one bad decision short of going full Republican.

Yep, accurate.

I've actually been impressed with Ottawa's numbers. They are not nearly as bad as here, and I wonder if people are just being more responsible there...

And the limited lockdown is just Ford not wanting to pull the trigger on the province, so he probably wants to lock the others down as they get worse...which is fucking stupid...but it's what's he's done the whole time. He's far to afraid of upsetting peopl to do the right thing.

#2117 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 23 November 2020 - 04:30 PM

I'm not sure we see anything different than these waves of cases until late 2021 or 2022, unless massive things change in an immediate way about how we approach lockdown protocols, support of people by the government, and very very robust contact tracing. This is true for Canada and the US alike.

I don't say this to be all doom and gloom or to demand immediate action. I'm saying the above because of the heartbreaking line in QuickTidal's post about how they didn't anticipate that we'd be doing this 9 months after North America partially went into the first lockdown.

A sociologist I really respect (Dr. Tressie McMilliam-Cottom) said back in April that she didn't think we'd be back to normal until 2023 and that was assuming we'd get a vaccine developed by 2021.

This post has been edited by amphibian: 23 November 2020 - 04:33 PM

I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#2118 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 23 November 2020 - 04:45 PM

View Postamphibian, on 23 November 2020 - 04:30 PM, said:

I'm not sure we see anything different than these waves of cases until late 2021 or 2022, unless massive things change in an immediate way about how we approach lockdown protocols, support of people by the government, and very very robust contact tracing. This is true for Canada and the US alike.

I don't say this to be all doom and gloom or to demand immediate action. I'm saying the above because of the heartbreaking line in QuickTidal's post about how they didn't anticipate that we'd be doing this 9 months after North America partially went into the first lockdown.

A sociologist I really respect (Dr. Tressie McMilliam-Cottom) said back in April that she didn't think we'd be back to normal until 2023 and that was assuming we'd get a vaccine developed by 2021.

The now three vaccines showing serious promise should help us in future seasons of this virus, if we can only get there. We have to distribute it to vulnerable communities first (Frontline workers, LTCH's) first, so it's a while off for the regular schmoes...

#2119 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 23 November 2020 - 05:29 PM

I’m laughing my ass off. Pennsylvania has over four times the cases of Ontario and we have asked people not to mix households for thanksgiving. Compared to Canada’s lock down. American leadership on this is beyond lacking.

After thanksgiving and Christmas the USA will be over 300k cases a day. Probably more.

#2120 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 23 November 2020 - 05:48 PM

What is it they've been saying? If you're having large Thanksgiving or Christmas dinners for friend's and family, plan for a smaller Christmas because a lot of people may be dead.

Share this topic:

• 174 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users