Malazan Empire: COVID-19 (aka Coronavirus, aka 2019-nCoV) - Malazan Empire

• 174 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

COVID-19 (aka Coronavirus, aka 2019-nCoV)

#2121 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 23 November 2020 - 06:15 PM

With Christmas being our Thanksgiving I see the new year being a fucking shit show in the UK and Ireland.

Any outright stupidity (beyond the norm) over there for those god awful black Friday sales?

#2122 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 23 November 2020 - 07:23 PM

Black Friday is going ahead but they have adapted. Sales have started weeks early and all deals are online as opposed to having in store exclusive door busters.

I know that ps5 is actually online, or order and pick up exclusively to prevent ques forming. I think stores at least see the danger in the form of liability so are being sensible

#2123 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 23 November 2020 - 07:36 PM

This was the year to get rid of Black Friday.

It's always been a scam and is stupid AF and makes people buy shit they don't need because they think they are getting a deal. I've never seen a thing MORE designed to keep the masses medium-to-badly impoverished, but "fake 'shopping high' happy" than Black Friday Sales.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#2124 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 23 November 2020 - 07:53 PM

I've ventured out on Black Friday, more for having that feeling of participating in the grand, epic freedom that unshackled consumerism clobbers you with. Never really went full in and bought much, or anything for that matter. I decided to quit participating when stores started Black Friday early by opening Thanksgiving evening, just as families finished their third helping.

#2125 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 23 November 2020 - 08:42 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 23 November 2020 - 07:36 PM, said:

It's always been a scam and is stupid AF and makes people buy shit they don't need because they think they are getting a deal. I've never seen a thing MORE designed to keep the masses medium-to-badly impoverished, but "fake 'shopping high' happy" than Black Friday Sales.

If you buy shit you don’t need that’s some personal responsibility too. Although I get what your saying, I regretted not buying anything on prime day, felt like I missed out but I didn’t need anything. That’s said I bought a 5 dollar Amazon smart plug today because I think that is a good deal and I do use them.

#2126 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 23 November 2020 - 08:49 PM

I imagine that at least some stores in Trumplandia will try to do the traditional in-person doorbuster brawls.

#2127 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 23 November 2020 - 10:33 PM

View PostCause, on 23 November 2020 - 08:42 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 23 November 2020 - 07:36 PM, said:

If you buy shit you don’t need that’s some personal responsibility too. Although I get what your saying, I regretted not buying anything on prime day, felt like I missed out but I didn’t need anything. That’s said I bought a 5 dollar Amazon smart plug today because I think that is a good deal and I do use them.

there's personal responsibility I agree, in that the drunk doesn't need that last shot of whiskey; that the barman, legally can sell him, ethically and by all his training and any morals a person has, shouldn't sells him anyway.

and he passes out drunk in the alley and dies from hypothermia

#2128 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 23 November 2020 - 10:34 PM

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 23 November 2020 - 08:49 PM, said:

I imagine that at least some stores in Trumplandia will try to do the traditional in-person doorbuster brawls.

wouldn't be Christmas if we didn't have some videos of fucking idiot Americans punching each other for cheap TVs on video to keep us warm

#2129 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 24 November 2020 - 12:56 AM

According to the governor of my state 1 in 49 people is contagious with COVID-19.

#2130 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 24 November 2020 - 07:22 PM

Fuck Black Friday, but one thing I am going to make a concerted effort to do is to spend money at small local businesses in my area, and I ask you guys to do the same and help out the small businesses in your communities as well. Find that area in you town or city (they all have them) that has those wacky, artisan, boutique, art district top shops. Buy that wacky aunt who lives between LA and San Fran and who is into crystals, that scented hand made candle set. Buy that grandpa who is way into birds and bird watching that bird house crafted by beardie mcbeardson at his Beard Boy's Assorted Sundrys hipster hangout shop. Help out the small businesses, they need it in this 2020 plague year more then ever.

#2131 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 24 November 2020 - 10:40 PM

I've been reading up on the Pfizer, Moderna and AZ vaccines. Currently can't find a valid reason to be uncomfortable about having any of them. My only reticence remains in the fact that the politicians who are relying on them and have encouraged any fast tracking are mendacious buffoons (at best).

Also haven't found anything to say the vaccines will definitely solve the pandemic but certainly a step in the right direction.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#2132 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 25 November 2020 - 12:44 AM

'[...] Billions of dollars in taxpayer money are being spent to put a stop to the virus, yet drug companies are using predominantly mild cases that produce cold-like symptoms, not infections or serious cases, to test the efficacy of their vaccines. Based on the reviews of trial protocols for seven leading vaccine candidates, including those from Moderna and Pfizer, the British Medical Journal (BMJ) wrote last month that “none of the [COVID] vaccine trials are designed to detect significant reduction in hospital admissions, admission to intensive care, or death.” Can these vaccines stop the pandemic?

Drug companies — not the FDA — choose what is called the “primary end point” or “measure of efficacy” for the trials they design to get vaccines or drugs approved for mass marketing (a dangerous conflict of interest in its own right). By focusing on mild symptoms, it is much easier for a company to claim a vaccine is effective and bring it to market, but it might not prove as effective in serious cases.

[...] What does “preventing COVID-19” mean here? It does not necessarily mean preventing infections.

[...] , the data monitoring committee found that more than 90% of the 94 cases that developed a mild COVID symptom like a sore throat were among the approximately 19,500 participants in the placebo group, with fewer than 10% among the other half receiving the real vaccine. This is the basis of the announcement that the vaccine is more than 90% effective in “preventing COVID.” Although vague wording has led many to believe otherwise, Pfizer provided no evidence about preventing infections. As for serious cases, Pfizer announced Wednesday data showing promising preliminary results but saying nothing about hospitalizations or death.

[...] Other concerns associated with vaccine trials include stopping trials prematurely or not monitoring patients for at least two months after they receive a vaccine. Both Pfizer and Moderna have followed up by a median of more than two months, but ending trials early may downplay or hide potential health risks, making a vaccine look safer and more effective than it is.

[...] based on my years of research on the industry’s policies and the FDA as its paid partner, I am concerned that COVID vaccines will generate billions in revenue without much reducing hospitalization or deaths.'

https://www.inquirer...Cd5eMlcs#loaded

#2133 User is offline   Gwynn ap Nudd 

• High Fist

Posted 25 November 2020 - 03:01 AM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 24 November 2020 - 10:40 PM, said:

I've been reading up on the Pfizer, Moderna and AZ vaccines. Currently can't find a valid reason to be uncomfortable about having any of them. My only reticence remains in the fact that the politicians who are relying on them and have encouraged any fast tracking are mendacious buffoons (at best).

Also haven't found anything to say the vaccines will definitely solve the pandemic but certainly a step in the right direction.

The only reason I see for a preference at this point are the temperature storage requirements. I believe we have can meet the storage requirements for the Pfizer vaccine at some locations near me (or can build out that capacity without much trouble). So, I'd prefer that one - let the doses of the vaccines with less stringent requirements go to the more rural areas and less well off countries that can't meet the Pfizer ones.

#2134 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 25 November 2020 - 08:45 AM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 24 November 2020 - 10:40 PM, said:

Yeah every time me and mother dearest discuss the topic I feel more and more at ease. There certainly seems to be a lot of valid science (from the perspective of a non-scientific non-medically backgrounded chap) and any questions there was a direct answer in the sense of 'it works like this and here's why it's legit'. Her main concern is that the figures the politicians are throwing around are unrealistic and unreasonable, but she's got none about the safety of the vaccines themselves, and given the way they're reported on, the safety and possible side effects were my main concerns. I'd be quite happy at this stage to have it done.

Incidentally anyone's take on De Pfeffel riding in to save Christmas like a winged hussar? Notwithstanding that Eid and Diwali can go do one. And good lord that all hurt my brain to have to type out.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#2135 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 25 November 2020 - 01:31 PM

I usually have my sister (my crazy, conservative, corporatist, COVID-denier sister) on mute on Facebook. All she posts are the alt-right bubble shit in her feed.

We were in a period of her not being on mute and she reposted a FB post last night by a woman who lives in her city who has a disabled son. The woman LONG-winded post explained that her disabled son (who is in a wheelchair, has developmental delays ect.) likes "touching books/shopping for books"...she goes on to explain that touching his own books, or buying books online was "not cutting it with him" and he hadn't been in a bookstore since March!.... So they went to Indigo Books. They are in Halton, so not on full lockdown like we are in Toronto and Peel. But the store still has mask/social distance policies. This woman goes on about how she has PRINTED OUT why he's exempt medically and has it with her (just the city bylaw for who is exempt). She claims the kid can't wear a mask. I get that. 100% I do. But she went into the store with him massless and was asked by the front door staff to don masks. She showed her son's "exemptness" and walked past the minimum wage workers and took her son further into the store. The manager eventually came up and apologized but said that if her son could not don a mask, they would have to leave but the store would be happy to serve them with curbside pickup. She said they should call the bylaw office...they said they would simply call the police. She left.

My sister posted this with a long rant about how she would NEVER shop there for books (which she claims she does quite a lot) and would advise others not to as well. My sister has MAYBE read like 10 books in her LIFE. So no, she's not shopping there much.

This whole thing went all the way up to Indigo CEO Heather Riesman who released a statement to the woman and her son that she was sorry and explained why the rules are in place. The woman sneeringly posted this on FB too and claims it's NOT an apology and that this was "not over"...I mean, the CEO responded to your comment lady, that's as high up the chain as this goes.

So I wanted to dive in a bit, because I DO feel for the kid. It sucks that you can't do the things you like, and it would especially suck for someone with a developmental delay and disability that means that only certain things in your life bring you happiness. I get the mother desire to want to allow her child something that will help him during the pandemic. But the way she went about this, she was absolutely SPOILING for a fight when she walked into that store.

The bottom line is that my sister, who speaks to me about capitalism being there best and ONLY way we can live as a society (nevermind that capitalism is only a few hundred years old)...has serious issues when a private business, acts as a private business and denies service on their property to someone who isn't (in this case can't) follow the rules during a pandemic.

The bottom bottom line for me is this. Those masks that people are asked to wear are in place to protect THE STAFF of that Indigo, essentially working a frontline job during a pandemic. Does this woman's need for her disabled son to go into a bookstore mask-less to shop supersede the manager's desire to protect his staff from COVID? I don't think so at all. Like I said, I get her plight, but when we have probably 6-7 people on shift and a mask-less person in the store...he should not supersede their health concerns.

Anyways, I didn't say anything to my sister on this...it would result in a fight I don't want the stress from....but yeah, holy hell.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#2136 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 25 November 2020 - 02:00 PM

I don't like your sister, QT.

#2137 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 25 November 2020 - 02:06 PM

View PostIncredible Aptorian, on 25 November 2020 - 02:00 PM, said:

I don't like your sister, QT.

I love her, but I REALLY hate her too. She has small, tiny moments of being a good person, but they are always outweighed by her being a right shitheel about too many things.

I'm not kidding when I say I'm waiting for her to end up in a viral Karen video as the Karen one day. She's that type of person.

#2138 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 25 November 2020 - 03:13 PM

I don't like your sister either. Really seems like the most important thing to her is to be able to do functionally anything, even if others are hurt, as long as it's connected to some kind of "this is for family" thing. She seems like she's decided that masks off for her people is something that needs to be defended, encouraged, and connected to outrage. That's dangerous.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#2139 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 25 November 2020 - 03:40 PM

View Postamphibian, on 25 November 2020 - 03:13 PM, said:

I don't like your sister either. Really seems like the most important thing to her is to be able to do functionally anything, even if others are hurt, as long as it's connected to some kind of "this is for family" thing. She seems like she's decided that masks off for her people is something that needs to be defended, encouraged, and connected to outrage. That's dangerous.

100% this is true. And yes, she is dangerous. We have seen my mom (and step dad) social distanced and my dad and stepmom socially distanced each once during the whole pandemic...we refuse to see my sister. It's not just dangerous to us, but her absolute lack of caring about anyone but herself is astonishing, and her slow creeping hysteria about conspiracy theories about the pandemic is scary.

She also has two Gen Z daughters, both of whom are old enough to argue with her the "right" side of things...I can't imagine what they have to go through living in that house with her.

At some point in the last decade my sister turned a corner into a really right wing, selfish POV...and the pandemic has brought it out to the fore of her character. I have considered quietly disconnecting her from my life...she's not a good person.

#2140 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 25 November 2020 - 04:54 PM

She is still your sister, though. Surely there is grounds to have an amicable relationship without bringing politics etc into it? I certainly don't agree on certain things with my dad or my brother-in-law, but we mostly just steer clear of potentially fraught conversation topics and, if they do crop up, I will make my position clear but at the same time accept that I won't be able to change their ingrained views. An agree to disagree stance to keep the peace in the family. It's just not worth the heartache and the collateral damage (my mom, my sister, nephews, etc).
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

Share this topic:

• 174 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users