Malazan Empire: COVID-19 (aka Coronavirus, aka 2019-nCoV) - Malazan Empire

• 174 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

COVID-19 (aka Coronavirus, aka 2019-nCoV)

#1421 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 23 May 2020 - 06:17 PM

About the economy. Some statistics were revealed a couple weeks ago about Denmark and Sweden's economy during the Crisis, more specifically the populations spending during the crisis.

Despite keeping everything open and only urging caution, Sweden's public spending fell to the same level as Denmark's, about 5% more I think. But their economy still took a hit despite keeping everything open and losing about 300% more lives than Denmark. Now, if course, they haven't had to spend as much money on stimulus packages and free handouts as we have but still.

I think that Trump's America is in for a sad realization after various states reopen. Oh, and a booming funeral business.

#1422 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 23 May 2020 - 11:54 PM

I believe 45 people developed antibodies from the moderna vaccine, 8 people developed neutralizing antibodies. The important information like titre and was it 8 out of 45 or did they only have time to confirm if it’s 8 or the 45.

As for the stock sell it seemed super dodgy to me so I looked into it. Apparently execs in companies like these can sign a type of form that basically says if the stock price reaches x I’d want to sell and it’s programmed into their stock software and executes. So its still a little scary but apparently all above board.

#1423 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 24 May 2020 - 01:55 AM

10,000 people were in Trinity Bellwoods Park (a largish Park in downtown Toronto) today. One a busy day that park would handle 3000. And given social distancing rules...a fraction of that.

But no...upwards of TEN THOUSAND (mostly Gen Zers) gathered there today. Hey as it was sunny. and they have seemingly collectively Decided “fuck the pandemic”.

So yeah...that’s where I’m at rage-wise today.

What really bothers me is that this city has a whole BUNCH of green spaces and parks to choose from, but nope. All these dbags were like “this is fine”

So when our numbers spike and we get shut down harder than before (we were barely into phase 1 of soft reopening stuff)...this will be why.

People walking by and around there said it looked like a summer music concert was underway...fucking clowns.

Photographic proof from the news:

Attached File  DEB138F2-2414-4598-84B7-7C115F7FB435.jpeg (146.99K)
Number of downloads: 1

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 24 May 2020 - 01:58 AM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#1424 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 24 May 2020 - 03:02 AM

Even in Canada there is a streak of 'it only kills old people'.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#1425 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 24 May 2020 - 05:22 AM

Yeah I thought you guys were better than this...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#1426 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 24 May 2020 - 06:42 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 24 May 2020 - 01:55 AM, said:

10,000 people were in Trinity Bellwoods Park (a largish Park in downtown Toronto) today. One a busy day that park would handle 3000. And given social distancing rules...a fraction of that.

But no...upwards of TEN THOUSAND (mostly Gen Zers) gathered there today. Hey as it was sunny. and they have seemingly collectively Decided “fuck the pandemic”.

What really bothers me is that this city has a whole BUNCH of green spaces and parks to choose from, but nope. All these dbags were like “this is fine”

So when our numbers spike and we get shut down harder than before (we were barely into phase 1 of soft reopening stuff)...this will be why.

People walking by and around there said it looked like a summer music concert was underway...fucking clowns.

Attachment DEB138F2-2414-4598-84B7-7C115F7FB435.jpeg

I biked along Credit River from Dundas to Eglington today. That's like.... 4 and a half clicks? Give or take, since the trails aren't really a straight line.

In the parks, people were sparse and kept their distance.

On trails, they could bunch up (it's usually families or couples), b/c different people have different walking speeds), but generally everyone keeps their distance as well.

Ionno, 'sauga is pretty chill about the whole thing. I guess it's cuz TO has a larger percentage of apartment buildings with no personal yards that people are going so much more stir crazy, mebbe.

Especially all the young people that live around downtown who were used to spending evenings out and found all their hangout spots closed for months on end.

This post has been edited by Mentalist: 24 May 2020 - 06:45 AM

The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#1427 User is offline   Chance 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 24 May 2020 - 10:23 AM

View Postamphibian, on 23 May 2020 - 03:40 PM, said:

One note on the Swedish model - the testing seems to suggest that Stockholm has an infection rate of 2.3% - and they've had many deaths (I think because they're able to identify COVID-19 related morbidity better than places like the US). That's a very low prevalence number to have the effects they're having and I'm worried that this means over the next 4 years or so (the amount of time it'd take to get to herd immunity in Sweden), that great amounts of harm will be incurred.

A study from the largest university hospital in stockholm puts the rate at 15% a couple of days ago which still isn't much but considerably more. Which should mean that 15% of people giving slightly more then 1 person the disease means 30ish% will have had it or be having it in two weeks and closer to herd immunity in another two. At the same time the infection rate and ICU cases are supposedly already dropping off in stockholm area and rising in other areas so who knows might never reach it.

This post has been edited by Chance: 24 May 2020 - 10:37 AM

#1428 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 24 May 2020 - 10:58 AM

View PostMentalist, on 24 May 2020 - 06:42 AM, said:

I biked along Credit River from Dundas to Eglington today. That's like.... 4 and a half clicks? Give or take, since the trails aren't really a straight line.

In the parks, people were sparse and kept their distance.

On trails, they could bunch up (it's usually families or couples), b/c different people have different walking speeds), but generally everyone keeps their distance as well.

Ionno, 'sauga is pretty chill about the whole thing. I guess it's cuz TO has a larger percentage of apartment buildings with no personal yards that people are going so much more stir crazy, mebbe.

Especially all the young people that live around downtown who were used to spending evenings out and found all their hangout spots closed for months on end.

Yep, we took the kids out to my old neighborhood in Mississauga (Meadowvale) last weekend and there were some people on the paths, but everyone kept their distance and it wasn’t overwhelming. Toronto is a shitshow in comparison.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#1429 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 24 May 2020 - 12:20 PM

Loving Dominic Cummings in the news in the UK. Such a jumped up twerp thinking he is above the rules when other people have been through so much. Although even if he is sacked or does resign, he will worm his way back into a position to continue ruining the country somehow.

But also, all these government ministers and aides really ought to be working on more important matters.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#1430 User is offline   Gust Hubb 

• Necromancer Extraordinaire
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Glass slides with entrapped bits of colored tissue
  • Around, just quiet....er

Posted 24 May 2020 - 03:58 PM

This is the quintessential human flaw. A social animal that is by nature fractious and rebellious. It is the reason we evolve ideas and behaviors so rapidly, but also why when uniformity and solidarity is required, it rarely happens. The world will burn and there will be people capering about with matches and gasoline because it is their right to do so.

It is also why so many things like the following will probably never happen (recognizing these are some of my ideals, and not everyones):
True recycling with near zero waste
Elimination of religion
Move to mass transit in America
World-wide peace with cessation of weapon development
Reduction of gun ownership to near zero
Reduction of meat consumption and the industry's impacts
"You don't clean u other peoples messes.... You roll in them like a dog on leftover smoked whitefish torn out f the trash by raccoons after Sunday brunch on a hot day."
~Abyss

#1431 User is online   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 24 May 2020 - 04:00 PM

Posted Image

'North Dakota governor on brink of tears as he decries "mask shaming"
Republican Doug Burgum called out "senseless dividing line" between Americans over whether masks should be worn in public

[...] Some rightwing protesters have attracted publicity by refusing to wear masks, while some shopkeepers have reportedly sought to deny service to people wearing face coverings.

[...] “This is I would say a senseless dividing line and I would ask people to try to dial up your empathy and your understanding. If someone is wearing a mask, they’re not doing it to represent what political party they’re in or what candidates they support.”

As he continued, Burgum struggled not to break down in tears.

“They might be doing it because they’ve got a five-year-old who’s been going through cancer treatments,” he said.

“They might have vulnerable adults in their life who currently have Covid-19 and are fighting.

“So again, I would just love to see our state, as part of being ‘North Dakota smart’, also be ‘North Dakota kind’, ‘North Dakota empathetic’, ‘North Dakota understanding’, to do this thing. Because if somebody wants to wear a mask, there should be no mask shaming.”'

https://www.theguard...us-mask-shaming

#1432 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 24 May 2020 - 04:03 PM

That's why we need benevolent AI overlords handling governance. Get in line meat puppet or we'll reduce your vitamin gruel rations!

#1433 User is online   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 24 May 2020 - 04:39 PM

View PostAptorian, on 24 May 2020 - 04:03 PM, said:

That's why we need benevolent AI overlords handling governance. Get in line meat puppet or we'll reduce your vitamin gruel rations!

Tell them it's Jesus (or whatever they want to believe). VR is paradise. (And/or AR and special effects.)

Posted Image

#1434 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 24 May 2020 - 05:49 PM

There are some really terrible people walking around. If anyone coughed on me, they would get my hands, full stop.

https://twitter.com/...197952270106625

#1435 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 24 May 2020 - 06:11 PM

Fuck people

#1436 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 24 May 2020 - 08:22 PM

People are the worst.

You all are ok.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#1437 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 24 May 2020 - 08:49 PM

really wish they'd send in the riot police already... its a joke that these protests have been escalating yet law enforcment does nothing.

#1438 User is online   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 24 May 2020 - 08:57 PM

'Images from Daytona Beach over the Memorial Day holiday weekend also showed crowds shoulder-to-shoulder grabbing flying dollar bills that had been thrown from the sunroof of a car. Volusia County Sheriff’s Office helicopter showed video of people around a white car on A1A. “It looks like there are two people out the sunroof throwing money,” the pilot reported. “They’re clearly throwing cash at the crowd.” Police asked the crowds to disperse without incident."'

#1439 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 24 May 2020 - 09:00 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 24 May 2020 - 05:49 PM, said:

There are some really terrible people walking around. If anyone coughed on me, they would get my hands, full stop.

https://twitter.com/...197952270106625

I wonder if we will see new laws on the books. If someone did this during an ebola epidic it would be attempted murder. I believe there have been cases about if someone with HIV has unprotected sex is that murder. Covid 19 hopefully acts as a warning that countries need to battle not only this pandemic but the next one, even if the next one isn't for another 100 years.

Also given that america is probably at real risk of a bioweapon terror attack, no matter how remote they are probably targert number one, perhaps its time to educate the populance.

Also its clear lots of countries need clearer laws, and fines in regards to quarantine orders

This post has been edited by Cause: 24 May 2020 - 09:02 PM

#1440 User is online   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 25 May 2020 - 01:50 AM

'About 1 in 5 adults in England believe the coronavirus is to some extent a hoax, according to research on conspiracy theories by the University of Oxford.

In addition, researchers found nearly 3 out of 5 adults in England believe the government is misleading them to some extent about the cause of the virus, and nearly 1 in 10 strongly agree that China developed the coronavirus to destroy the West — which is utterly false.

[...] "Those who believe in conspiracy theories also say that they are less likely to accept a vaccination, take a diagnostic test or wear a face mask," Freeman said. "The beliefs look to be corrosive to our necessary collective response to the crisis. In the wake of the epidemic, mistrust looks to have become mainstream."

In the United Kingdom some people have acted on conspiracy theories. More than 100 cellphone towers have been burned amid unfounded conspiracy theories that the new mobile technology known as fifth generation either spreads the virus or the lockdown is a cover for rolling out 5G.'

https://www.npr.org/...Ml8jR4JG6KlJbpY

Share this topic:

• 174 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users