Malazan Empire: COVID-19 (aka Coronavirus, aka 2019-nCoV) - Malazan Empire

• 174 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

COVID-19 (aka Coronavirus, aka 2019-nCoV)

#901 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 04 April 2020 - 10:49 PM

I went out driving for the first time in 2 weeksi today . It suddenly hit me how badly I didn't want to have a prang. And lining up for the supermarket was so weird.

Hit the motherload though. Six eggs, 4 tins of tomatoes, 1 pack of spaghetti and 9 toilet roll. Everyone was so polite but it was Waitrose.

This post has been edited by Mezla PigDog: 04 April 2020 - 10:49 PM

Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#902 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 04 April 2020 - 10:59 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 04 April 2020 - 07:44 PM, said:

View Postamphibian, on 04 April 2020 - 06:49 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 04 April 2020 - 06:23 PM, said:

Trump tried to stop 3M from shipping the n95 masks to Canada...being either completely unaware or not caring enough that the material to make those masks...comes from mills in fucking Canada.

What a clown ass clown.

It's worse than that. The feds under Trump/Pence/Kushner are seizing masks paid for and en route elsewhere (Germany, blue states), giving them to private contractors, and having them be sold to southern states for big markups.

I Simply don't know how this all just stands. Like hes pissing off the whole world now...what's the endgame, being a supervillain country?

Maybe he's panicking? That, on top of his general incompetence, does not make for an appetizing cocktail.
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#903 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 05 April 2020 - 10:17 AM

Ah, never thought of military choppers, maybe not a bad ideA, but on the other hand it's not a natural disaster where infrastructure will be damaged so you should be ok

#904 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 05 April 2020 - 10:35 AM

Until the looting starts and the road warriors take over.

#905 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 05 April 2020 - 11:38 AM

View PostBriar King, on 05 April 2020 - 01:33 AM, said:

*slaps forehead...

Corona patients accidentally transferred over to USS Comfort.

Probably for the best. It had like 20 patients before now and was going unused. Maybe using the 1000 beds for the overflow of actual pandemic patients is not a bad idea

#906 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 05 April 2020 - 11:44 AM

So they're now saying that exercise outside the house might be banned. Because people are idiots and can't grasp what's happening...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#907 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 05 April 2020 - 12:03 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 05 April 2020 - 11:44 AM, said:

So they're now saying that exercise outside the house might be banned. Because people are idiots and can't grasp what's happening...

Bloody hell, if that takes off here then going for a walk/run with the dog will become problematic ... which means she will get super cabin fever cooped up all day in our townhouse. :(
She's doing well so far but she really looks forward to the daily exercise outside.

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 05 April 2020 - 12:03 PM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#908 User is offline   Garak 

• Emperor
  • Interests:40k, Star Wars, Babylon 5, WW2, A Song of Ice and Fire, the Drenai series, the Riftwar and all that followed it, D&D, Vikings, the Malazan Book of the Fallen. I think you get the gist of it.

Posted 05 April 2020 - 12:16 PM

Sadly people really are idiots. We've had people return from Italy recently and refuse to stay in quarantine. The police showed up and got pelted with rocks until they had to leave. Then the Gendarmerie showed up in full gear and beat the ever living shit out of those people. That got the point across. They still need to patrol or stay near those places because those idiots might still try to go out. Because staying in the house is boring and what are they supposed to do all day and surely they aren't sick so why should they blah blah blah. This is why we end up with draconian measures, because of morons like these.
The meaning of life is BOOM!!!

#909 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 05 April 2020 - 12:46 PM

Dude, where the heck are you? :blink:

And yes - a person may be smart, but overall (and especially in groups) people are fucking selfish and stupid.

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 05 April 2020 - 12:47 PM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#910 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 05 April 2020 - 02:49 PM

View PostGarak, on 05 April 2020 - 12:16 PM, said:

Sadly people really are idiots. We've had people return from Italy recently and refuse to stay in quarantine. The police showed up and got pelted with rocks until they had to leave. Then the Gendarmerie showed up in full gear and beat the ever living shit out of those people. That got the point across. They still need to patrol or stay near those places because those idiots might still try to go out. Because staying in the house is boring and what are they supposed to do all day and surely they aren't sick so why should they blah blah blah. This is why we end up with draconian measures, because of morons like these.

My father is absolutely convinced that once potato planting season starts back home, no lockdown order will work, because everyone will be out in the country and their dacha cottages planting for 2 weeks. If the infection numbers rise, then people will just wait for evolution to weed out the weak, since the healthcare system (same as economy as a whole) is hanging on a shoestring budget
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#911 User is offline   Garak 

• Emperor
  • Interests:40k, Star Wars, Babylon 5, WW2, A Song of Ice and Fire, the Drenai series, the Riftwar and all that followed it, D&D, Vikings, the Malazan Book of the Fallen. I think you get the gist of it.

Posted 05 April 2020 - 03:43 PM

Eastern Europe, Romania. Also known as crazy town.
The meaning of life is BOOM!!!

#912 User is offline   Lady Bliss 

• Shameless Minister of Silly Catwalks of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 05 April 2020 - 07:04 PM

View PostBriar King, on 05 April 2020 - 06:53 PM, said:

13,010 cases, 477 deaths, 1,803 in hospital 561 on ventilators, 61 of 64 parishes infected with the corona 139 in mine.

Damn. You guys are getting hammered! On a bright note, I am able to buy toilet paper today!
"If you prick us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? And if you wrong us shall we not revenge?" - Shylock

#913 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 05 April 2020 - 09:57 PM

'Tiger in Bronx Zoo Becomes First Animal in U.S. to Test Positive For COVID-19

The tiger's sister Azul, two Amur tigers, and three African lions are also experiencing symptoms but are all "expected to recover."'

https://www.thedaily...vid-19?ref=home

My apartment manager is insisting on having 'preventative maintenance' go to every apartment to open all our cupboards and spray the edges with pest repellent. While I can move all my food and utensils away, wear a mask, stay away from the areas for a few hours, and then wipe everything down, I'm worried about it getting on my cat, particularly dragged in on their shoes if they're wearing masks (but the maintenance crew is extreme low-budget and has been generally incompetent, so I doubt they'll have surgical masks or respirators). Trapping her in the bathroom or the kitty litter room for a few hours is possible but would not be pleasant for either of us. Plus I don't know exactly when they'll come---neither the hour nor the day.

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 05 April 2020 - 10:02 PM

#914 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 05 April 2020 - 10:33 PM

'Coronavirus can infect cats — dogs, not so much

But scientists say it's unclear whether felines can spread the virus to people, so pet owners need not panic yet.'

https://www.nature.c...586-020-00984-8

Even if she doesn't get infected, it could live for a while on her fur.

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 05 April 2020 - 10:33 PM

#915 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 05 April 2020 - 11:00 PM

View PostBriar King, on 05 April 2020 - 09:30 PM, said:

Yep but on the positive side if there is one that is the 1st day in a week or so that new cases are under a thousand from day before.

So for you sexy Dr’s in here...how long can a typical bug survive in a car with the heat box effect? We ve already had some close to 90 F days these past 2 weeks in the south which very much contributed to the spring breakers flocking down here in mid to late March. So will the increasing heat over the day kill this bitch in cars with a quickness or is it still the same week to nine days on surfaces in doors.

RNA denatures at 150 Fahrenheit. So a hot car isn't likely to do anything serious to the virus.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#916 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 06 April 2020 - 05:42 AM

If one can find a silver lining; I've really enjoyed all the sign language interpreters who appear when a politician (usually state governor or mayor of a city) has a live briefing about urgent information to be passed onto the citizenry. Who knew sign language interpreters were so animated and whimsical? I often will take a moment to watch when the news runs a segment, hoping to see one who really leans into his/her work.

#917 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 06 April 2020 - 06:36 AM

Boris is in hospital.

Well.

If you can't think of anything nice to say, it is best to say nothing at all.

Shame it's not Michael Gove though.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#918 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 06 April 2020 - 07:34 AM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 06 April 2020 - 06:36 AM, said:

Boris is in hospital.

Well.

If you can't think of anything nice to say, it is best to say nothing at all.

Shame it's not Michael Gove though.

Please repatriate my coffee from my kitchen floor to my mouth.

Yeah it's not great. My sister is a cardiology nurse and two of their staff (one a consultant) are in ICU with it. My other sister is a hospital receptions manager. My wife is a social care worker, so a lot of my family are either actively frontline right now or having to expose themselves to risk every day.

Lord Bath of Weymouth (owner of Longleat) passed from it. My great aunt has it.

I wonder how my hometown will cope. With the summer looking to be basically cancelled a lot of businesses there will fail. Compounding the issue is that people still refuse to take this seriously, meaning we are likely to see the army come in to bolster low police numbers (relative to the number of people needing to be policed) and then we find ourselves in the Tory police state that's been looming for many a year. We're in Orwell now bois!

Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#919 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 06 April 2020 - 01:16 PM

My mom has to go back to the hospital later this week (she's currently on a pre-planned vacation; Her Cuba trip plans fell through due to the travel restrictions), and 2 of their dialysis patients tested positive.

It'll be interesting to say the least. Not worried about myself since I'm basically a hermit anyway. Curious if they'll take any extra precautions to protect her, though- they way they did with SARS

This post has been edited by Mentalist: 06 April 2020 - 01:17 PM

The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#920 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 06 April 2020 - 02:03 PM

'Operation Last Gasp':

'The British government has tried its best to downplay Boris Johnson’s hospitalization due to coronavirus symptoms—but reports suggest he has had to receive oxygen treatment to help his breathing. The British prime minister spent Sunday night in a London hospital after doctors became concerned about “persistent symptoms” 10 days after his diagnosis. It was described as a “precautionary step” by his office, but The Times of London reported that Johnson received oxygen therapy on arrival at hospital.'

https://www.thedaily...report?ref=home

Share this topic:

• 174 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users