Malazan Empire: COVID-19 (aka Coronavirus, aka 2019-nCoV) - Malazan Empire

• 174 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

COVID-19 (aka Coronavirus, aka 2019-nCoV)

#921 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 06 April 2020 - 04:16 PM

If Boris gets hospitalized for a long period of time and ends up in the ICU, what are the odds he comes out and still tries to make major cuts to NHS?
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#922 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 06 April 2020 - 05:22 PM

Been losing track. What we are we on now?

#923 User is offline   stone monkey 

• I'm the baddest man alive and I don't plan to die...
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods

Posted 06 April 2020 - 05:32 PM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 06 April 2020 - 06:36 AM, said:

Boris is in hospital.

Well.

If you can't think of anything nice to say, it is best to say nothing at all.

Shame it's not Michael Gove though.

tbh I wouldn't even wish this on anyone, even Boris - drowning in your own fluids is no way to go. I can say that from personal experience, as I nearly died from a respiratory illness about 14 years ago.

Gove probably has gills, or respires through his skin or something, so I think he's in no danger from a lung disease.

This post has been edited by stone monkey: 06 April 2020 - 05:35 PM

If an opinion contrary to your own makes you angry, that is a sign that you are subconsciously aware of having no good reason for thinking as you do. If some one maintains that two and two are five, or that Iceland is on the equator, you feel pity rather than anger, unless you know so little of arithmetic or geography that his opinion shakes your own contrary conviction. … So whenever you find yourself getting angry about a difference of opinion, be on your guard; you will probably find, on examination, that your belief is going beyond what the evidence warrants. Bertrand Russell

#924 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 06 April 2020 - 05:55 PM

I was sort of impressed by the Queen and her address to the tea tippers amongst the Forum. For someone in her 90s she seems sharp as a tack. Could have been reading from a TelePrompter (thanks Obama!). ―\_(ツ)_/― . . . . was it her "Churchill" moment? *hides *hate-arrows-incoming Posted Image

#925 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 06 April 2020 - 06:30 PM

View Postamphibian, on 06 April 2020 - 04:16 PM, said:

If Boris gets hospitalized for a long period of time and ends up in the ICU, what are the odds he comes out and still tries to make major cuts to NHS?

He'll have nice private medical treatment so it won't make much difference to him I'd wager.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#926 User is offline   stone monkey 

• I'm the baddest man alive and I don't plan to die...
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods

Posted 06 April 2020 - 06:47 PM

If he has to go to an ICU, it almost certainly won't be private, as the private hospitals generally don't have them. In fact, private hospitals are pretty infamous for transferring their extremely sick patients to the NHS specifically so they don't die on their premises; even in cases where moving the patient is not advised. Deaths on their premises make their care outcome figures look bad.

So next time you see a private hospital bragging about their care outcome figures, especially in comparison to the NHS, that's something to keep in mind.

This post has been edited by stone monkey: 06 April 2020 - 06:49 PM

If an opinion contrary to your own makes you angry, that is a sign that you are subconsciously aware of having no good reason for thinking as you do. If some one maintains that two and two are five, or that Iceland is on the equator, you feel pity rather than anger, unless you know so little of arithmetic or geography that his opinion shakes your own contrary conviction. … So whenever you find yourself getting angry about a difference of opinion, be on your guard; you will probably find, on examination, that your belief is going beyond what the evidence warrants. Bertrand Russell

#927 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 06 April 2020 - 06:54 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 06 April 2020 - 06:30 PM, said:

View Postamphibian, on 06 April 2020 - 04:16 PM, said:

He'll have nice private medical treatment so it won't make much difference to him I'd wager.

He's in his local NHS hospital - St Thomas' just over the bridge from parliament.

I wonder if it is serious enough for Dominic Cummings to be looking for a new host yet.

I managed 3 hours work today after spending the day with my son. Covid testing questions up to the eyeballs and a scrambled brain. Not a good mix.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#928 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 06 April 2020 - 07:00 PM

View Poststone monkey, on 06 April 2020 - 06:47 PM, said:

If he has to go to an ICU, it almost certainly won't be private, as the private hospitals generally don't have them. In fact, private hospitals are pretty infamous for transferring their extremely sick patients to the NHS specifically so they don't die on their premises; even in cases where moving the patient is not advised. Deaths on their premises make their care outcome figures look bad.

So next time you see a private hospital bragging about their care outcome figures, especially in comparison to the NHS, that's something to keep in mind.

That sounds like US Charter Schools. The Charters take government money to provide schooling, then choose to allow only the good students to come there, then crow about how great their outcomes are, when they are only a couple percent higher than full public school average. They are also rife for abuse with very little oversight.

yeehaw.

This post has been edited by Obdigore: 06 April 2020 - 07:20 PM

Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#929 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 06 April 2020 - 07:49 PM

Statsministeren held a press conference earlier. They want to start opening up the country but I'm not sure what the big changes are besides the youngest children being allowed to return to schools and institutions. I imagine that parents around the country are celebrating. Their long ordeal is coming to an end.

Libraries are staying closed until May 10th. I wonder what kind of busy work they're going to magic up for us.

#930 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 06 April 2020 - 07:53 PM

View Poststone monkey, on 06 April 2020 - 05:32 PM, said:

View PostMezla PigDog, on 06 April 2020 - 06:36 AM, said:

Boris is in hospital.

Well.

If you can't think of anything nice to say, it is best to say nothing at all.

Shame it's not Michael Gove though.

tbh I wouldn't even wish this on anyone, even Boris - drowning in your own fluids is no way to go. I can say that from personal experience, as I nearly died from a respiratory illness about 14 years ago.

Now he's in intensive care just to clarify that I couldn't think of anything nice to say not that I wished him dead.

The mind kind of boggles about the political situation if he doesn't bounce back relatively quickly. Or at all.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#931 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 06 April 2020 - 07:56 PM

The news snippet I caught last night said he had fever for 10 days and on and it wasn't abating, which didn't sound good to me. So I didn't read it as just a precautionary measure, even though I think it was being spun that way to keep the UK at ease.

#932 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 06 April 2020 - 08:26 PM

'Reports emerged in the media over the weekend that Johnson was suffering quite severely, coughing and spluttering during cabinet Zoom meetings, but officials continued to insist that he was only feeling mild symptoms.

Johnson personally asked Dominic Raab, the foreign secretary, to take over before he was moved into the ICU. [...]

Raab is a divisive figure who came up on the right of the party and was rewarded for his hardline stance on Brexit by being promoted to foreign secretary last summer at the age of 45. He has already taken control of the regular COBRA meetings to oversee Britain's handling of the crisis.

The prime minister was reported to be conscious and the move to ICU came when doctors decided he could potentially require the use of a ventilator.'

https://www.thedaily...report?ref=home

He who gasps last....

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 06 April 2020 - 08:27 PM

#933 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 06 April 2020 - 08:33 PM

Does NHS let the Prime Minister jump the queue for ventilators?

Or will his rich cronies fly in to rescue him? Trump's getting his jet full of hijacked ventilators ready for him to swoop down (and be knighted)....

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 06 April 2020 - 08:34 PM

#934 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 06 April 2020 - 08:35 PM

The Onion have already got on it with the headline "Boris Johnson released from Hospitals after Defunding it, Shutting it Down"
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#935 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 06 April 2020 - 08:36 PM

I think that's an unworthy comment. Whether he's an asshole or not, critical government staff needs to be prioritized. You may want him gone but the chaos it would ensue would be bad.

#936 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 06 April 2020 - 08:37 PM

Which comment are you referring to?
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#937 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 06 April 2020 - 08:42 PM

View PostAptorian, on 06 April 2020 - 07:49 PM, said:

Statsministeren held a press conference earlier. They want to start opening up the country but I'm not sure what the big changes are besides the youngest children being allowed to return to schools and institutions. I imagine that parents around the country are celebrating. Their long ordeal is coming to an end.

Libraries are staying closed until May 10th. I wonder what kind of busy work they're going to magic up for us.

Also, music festivals over the summer are pretty much all cancelled now.
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#938 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 06 April 2020 - 08:59 PM

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 06 April 2020 - 08:33 PM, said:

Or will his rich cronies fly in to rescue him? Trump's getting his jet full of hijacked ventilators ready for him to swoop down (and be knighted)....

There is no queue yet at present for ventilators in the UK, so nothing there to jump. He is the leader of the UK governement and the national figurehead for the fight against this disease, so it makes every sense that they are taking all precautions and keep him in so that if he has to be put on a ventilator, they can do so straight away. No matter who it is, you don't wish this on anybody. And yes, that includes Trump.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#939 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 06 April 2020 - 09:00 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 06 April 2020 - 08:37 PM, said:

Which comment are you referring to?

Sorry, Azath.

#940 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 06 April 2020 - 09:04 PM

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 06 April 2020 - 08:33 PM, said:

The leader of the nation should receive priority. Otherwise it’s chaos and new elections and loss of trust in government etc

That said it’s been ten days. I hope they seriously discussed the contingency plans for if he does. Otherwise just more bad governance.

———————————

In the us trump is being trump. Guy says so much that is wrong or flat out contradicts previous messaging in a day it’s ridiculous. I don’t see how he could get reeellevted but somehow this doesn’t seem to be hurting him.

——————————

Just read an article about trump saying he thought he was a lock to win the Nobel prize in medicine. It says something about him that I had to check if the article was satire or not. I could very easilly imagine him saying something like that

This post has been edited by Cause: 06 April 2020 - 09:20 PM

Share this topic:

• 174 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users