Malazan Empire: COVID-19 (aka Coronavirus, aka 2019-nCoV) - Malazan Empire

• 174 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

COVID-19 (aka Coronavirus, aka 2019-nCoV)

#881 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 03 April 2020 - 07:34 AM

View Postamphibian, on 02 April 2020 - 05:12 PM, said:

View PostObdigore, on 02 April 2020 - 05:06 PM, said:

I mean... the country areas need to drive sometimes 100 miles to get to a grocery store.

I'd be more interested in a 'amount of social distancing' and 'local governments who have cancelled events and ordered non-essential businesses to close'

The UK was also very late on adopting "stay at home" protocols. So saying the South is especially stupid is wrong here.

I would probably chalk our side up to active malice given that the PM's chief advisor is a known eugenicist, killing off the sick and disabled is a benefit in his eyes. There's also been that Trump-esque desire to protect capitalism and if a few of us die, we die. If not for public outrage and the scientific community calling the government on it, who knows.

Our death rate has gone up a fair whack. No clue as to when our soft lockdown will get lifted but I am anticipating it will be extended and made harsher soon because people just aren't taking it seriously (but then with such slapdash, reactionary advice from the top, why would they?). Still hear groups of people walking past the house, kids outside playing, the like.

Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#882 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 03 April 2020 - 07:53 AM

We've been told for the past 4 years that we've had enough of experts so why would people listen to them now?
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#883 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 03 April 2020 - 11:55 AM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 03 April 2020 - 07:53 AM, said:

We've been told for the past 4 years that we've had enough of experts so why would people listen to them now?

This country reaps what it sows, thinks I.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#884 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 03 April 2020 - 11:56 AM

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 03 April 2020 - 03:33 AM, said:

'Calgary Man Charged With Threatening to Spread Coronavirus to Indigenous Peoples

Police say the white man in his early 20s threatened to "wipe out the species" in a Facebook message.

Constable Craig Collins, Calgary Police's hate crimes coordinator, told VICE that a white male in his early 20s was arrested over a viral Facebook post in which he threatened to go to a nearby reserve and spread COVID-19.

"We were approached by an elder of one of the Indigenous communities," Collins said. "It was a threat that said he would contract coronavirus or Ebola and touch things, infect the reserve and 'wipe out the species.'"'

https://www.vice.com...digenous-people

For anyone who thinks that Canada can't be as racist as elsewhere...especially against indigenous peoples of this land. This kind of shit is RIFE in places like Alberta (it's always Alberta)....you wanna find the confederate flag on cars and trucks in Canada? Alberta. They are our conservative and racist idiot portion of the country. I wish it wasn't widespread there too...but it is.

This kind of shit disgusts me, and people like this dude need to have the book thrown at him. People need to realize they can't get away with this shit. The indigenous peoples of this country have gone through quite enough at this point.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 03 April 2020 - 11:57 AM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#885 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 03 April 2020 - 06:02 PM

We have been locked down now since the 13th of March, and our Premier just gave us the projection....it ain't pretty. 3000-15,000 deaths WITH the measures in place, VS 100,000 deaths without them...meaning if people don't STOP FUCKING AROUND...things are going to get worse here.

Case in point, in the middle of our city of a huge cemetery that people often go to in small numbers to walk, or jog...there are never more than maybe 10 people in whole place on any given day...but once they started closing public spaces because people refused to adhere to social distancing...the place was overrun with hundreds of people, no social distancing, some people cracking a beer in a lounge chair...these are the idiots I'm living around who not only don't want to listen, but want to be outside in the nice weather come help or high water...and don't get me started on the irony of a bunch of people disregarding the social distancing rules that could get many people killed....in a fucking CEMETERY...thankfully the cemetery has now closed to anyone and they have put up guards...we should not have to do this...but there are a shitload of stupid selfish ppl in my city.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#886 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 03 April 2020 - 06:21 PM

Im rather happy they released the ontario projection because it communicates clearly what the stakes are for this. Some will undoubtedly still have a stick up their ass, but im sure some will wake up.

#887 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 03 April 2020 - 06:29 PM

View PostBriar King, on 03 April 2020 - 05:13 PM, said:

Time for that daily update from a small section in the land of the Special Breed of Stupid.

10,297 cases, 370 deaths, 1707 in hospital 535 on ventilators, 61 of 64 parishes infected with the corona 119 in mine.

Oh no. I'm so sorry. How are the hospitals and people staffing them coping?
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#888 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 04 April 2020 - 03:54 PM

'Reusable respirator masks could be a lifeline for health care workers trying to protect themselves while treating coronavirus patients.

They provide the same level of protection as disposable N95 respirators, which are in short supply around the world. They can be easily disinfected between patients and shifts. And they last for months.

But the nation’s emergency supply of medical equipment never stocked them, despite years of research predicting dire shortfalls of disposable respirators during a pandemic and recommendations to stockpile reusable ones.

The decision not to buy them for the Strategic National Stockpile is inexplicable to Tom Frieden, who led the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention until 2017.

“You can get one to a health care worker and say, ‘Here's how you clean it and it's yours for the duration of the pandemic,’” Frieden told USA TODAY. “And those are on the market."'

[...] In addition to disposable masks, that study recommended stockpiling reusable respirators over air-purifying devices because they cost less and are easier to use.

Officials running the national stockpile should have bought reusable respirators, said Lisa Pompeii, a researcher at Baylor College of Medicine.

Pompeii is the lead author of a study published last week that concluded health care workers could be quickly fitted for reusable respirators and trained on how to use them.'

https://www.usatoday...tor/5118669002/

'Boston hospitals getting ‘game changer’ machine that sterilizes 80,000 protective masks a day

The move could potentially serve all hospitals within the state and address a crisis for health-care workers'

https://www.bostongl...Cuj5iYIzXIKS6oo

'Several randomized trials have not found any statistical difference in the efficacy of surgical masks versus N95 FFRs at lowering infectious respiratory disease outcomes for healthcare workers.39-43

Most reviews have failed to find any advantage of one intervention over the other. Recent meta-analyses found that N95 FFRs offered higher protection against clinical respiratory illness [...] but not viral infections or influenza-like illness.

A recent pooled analysis of two earlier trials comparing medical masks and N95 filtering facepiece respirators with controls (no protection) found that healthcare workers continuously wearing N95 FFRs were 54% less likely to experience respiratory viral infections than controls (P = 0.03), while those wearing medical masks were only 12% less likely than controls (P = 0.48; result is not significantly different from zero).

While the data supporting the use of surgical masks as PPE in real-world settings are limited, the two meta-analyses and the most recent randomized controlled study combined with evidence of moderate filter efficiency and complete lack of facepiece fit lead us to conclude that surgical masks offer very low levels of protection for the wearer from aerosol inhalation. There may be some protection from droplets and liquids propelled directly onto the mask, but a faceshield would be a better choice if this is a concern.'

http://www.cidrap.um...ased-sound-data

'Morris and his co-authors originally stated that aerosolized SARS-CoV-2 likely isn't the primary driver of transmission in "everyday settings," but could pose a danger in health care settings where specialized equipment is used. However, a recent account of members in a large choir group who tested positive for COVID-19 after rehearsal raises the possibility that aerosols may drive transmission beyond the bounds of a hospital.

"It's now clear that aerosol risks are not negligible for everyday people, particularly in poorly-ventilated indoor areas," Morris wrote in a tweet posted March 31. That said, hospital settings still carry a "particularly elevated risk for aerosol transmission" of SARS-CoV-2, he noted.'

The team was able to detect viral RNA throughout the course of their 3-hour experiment, but that alone does not guarantee that the remaining virus was viable.

"You find an RNA on a surface, that doesn't mean that the virus … could infect somebody," said Aubree Gordon, an associate professor of epidemiology at the University of Michigan School of Public Health, who was not involved in the study. To determine whether the virus was truly viable, the researchers grew the germ in cultured cells. These critical tests rendered the study "much stronger" than if the researchers had only looked for RNA, Gordon said.'

https://www.livescie...an-aerosol.html

#889 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 04 April 2020 - 03:59 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 03 April 2020 - 06:02 PM, said:

We have been locked down now since the 13th of March, and our Premier just gave us the projection....it ain't pretty. 3000-15,000 deaths WITH the measures in place, VS 100,000 deaths without them...meaning if people don't STOP FUCKING AROUND...things are going to get worse here.

Case in point, in the middle of our city of a huge cemetery that people often go to in small numbers to walk, or jog...there are never more than maybe 10 people in whole place on any given day...but once they started closing public spaces because people refused to adhere to social distancing...the place was overrun with hundreds of people, no social distancing, some people cracking a beer in a lounge chair...these are the idiots I'm living around who not only don't want to listen, but want to be outside in the nice weather come help or high water...and don't get me started on the irony of a bunch of people disregarding the social distancing rules that could get many people killed....in a fucking CEMETERY...thankfully the cemetery has now closed to anyone and they have put up guards...we should not have to do this...but there are a shitload of stupid selfish ppl in my city.

Great thing about the suburbs is that everyone drives. So if you're one of those social outcasts that walks everywhere (like myself), you pretty much have the sidewalks to yourself.
'Sauga closed down all rec facilities and playgrounds, but walking trails and footpaths in the park are still open, provided ppl keep the appropriate distance. I venture out there once every few days, and over my hour-long route I generally don't see any more people than I used to before (so like a few dozens, tops)- mostly either dog-walking or getting fresh air with their kids. Though you get occasional joggers or bikers.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#890 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 04 April 2020 - 04:00 PM

Though the Trump administration has another solution:

'US hijacking mask shipments in rush for coronavirus protection

Fears of shortages are driving many countries to take increasingly devious measures to secure masks and tests

French officials claim that American buyers gazumped them in a deal for coronavirus masks in Shanghai.

US buyers waving wads of cash managed to wrest control of a consignment of masks as it was about to be dispatched from China to one of the worst-hit coronavirus areas of France, according to two French officials.

[...] "The icing on the cake, there is a foreign country that paid three times the price of the cargo on the tarmac," Rénaud Muselier, the head of the south-eastern Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur region, told the French channel'

https://www.theguard...JV05Qv7XD3_ZaKs

Could be the Jared Kushner method.

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 04 April 2020 - 04:00 PM

#891 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 04 April 2020 - 06:23 PM

Trump tried to stop 3M from shipping the n95 masks to Canada...being either completely unaware or not caring enough that the material to make those masks...comes from mills in fucking Canada.

What a clown ass clown.

#892 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 04 April 2020 - 06:49 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 04 April 2020 - 06:23 PM, said:

Trump tried to stop 3M from shipping the n95 masks to Canada...being either completely unaware or not caring enough that the material to make those masks...comes from mills in fucking Canada.

What a clown ass clown.

It's worse than that. The feds under Trump/Pence/Kushner are seizing masks paid for and en route elsewhere (Germany, blue states), giving them to private contractors, and having them be sold to southern states for big markups.

#893 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 04 April 2020 - 07:02 PM

I'm honestly baffled by the US administration's actions. Their greed and incompetence is familiar by now but this is an election year. Shouldn't they be at least pretending to do good?

Do you guys think the League of Assassins would accept a Kickstarter?

#894 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 04 April 2020 - 07:31 PM

But they are doing good.
They're doing the bestest good, biggly good. Don't let the lame stream fakenews media tell you those lies about them being bad guys

This post has been edited by Macros: 04 April 2020 - 07:36 PM

#895 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 04 April 2020 - 07:44 PM

View Postamphibian, on 04 April 2020 - 06:49 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 04 April 2020 - 06:23 PM, said:

What a clown ass clown.

It's worse than that. The feds under Trump/Pence/Kushner are seizing masks paid for and en route elsewhere (Germany, blue states), giving them to private contractors, and having them be sold to southern states for big markups.

I Simply don’t know how this all just stands. Like hes pissing off the whole world now...what’s the endgame, being a supervillain country?

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 04 April 2020 - 07:44 PM

#896 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 04 April 2020 - 07:59 PM

View PostAptorian, on 04 April 2020 - 07:02 PM, said:

I'm honestly baffled by the US administration's actions. Their greed and incompetence is familiar by now but this is an election year. Shouldn't they be at least pretending to do good?

Do you guys think the League of Assassins would accept a Kickstarter?

As long as the masks meant for other countries get distributed in the U.S. of A, he is Making America Great Again.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#897 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 04 April 2020 - 08:07 PM

But he's not even doing that. There's all these reports about him complaining that it's not the governments problem that the states need equipment. Now China of all places are sending equipment. What does that make Trump look like?

And then you have these insane press conferences. Like the latest one where he's saying people should wear masks, but he's not going to, but you probably should wear them, however you don't have to, but maybe it's a good thing, to wear masks, or not. Physicians and Rhetoric professors around the world must have bruises after facepalming so hard.

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 04 April 2020 - 08:08 PM

#898 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 04 April 2020 - 08:41 PM

It's because millions of people genuinely believe that because he's good at being mad in a TV catchy way, he's going to direct his actions that completely fuck over people only at those who are *other*.

None of this sticks to him because they cannot comprehend the systems and the costs of his abhorrent decisions. A hundred thousand extra deaths isn't really something that's easily grasped. The hundreds of thousands who may have lung scarring and other complications isn't easily understood either.

And we haven't talked about the 10-30 million who will be out of work in a month. We're having a new Great Depression and our best shot at not suffering horribly is a president and a Senate that are going to take the non racist parts of the FDR administration - which has its best modern analogues in Bernie Sanders and prior to her suspension, Warren.

For a measure of how weird things have gotten, Trump has started talking about how COVID-19 treatment for those without health insurance will be paid for by the federal government at Medicare rates. https://www.nytimes....oronavirus.html

And fucking Hillary Clinton is talking about opening healthcare markets again as her preferred solution. With what money are millions supposed to be able to buy this coverage, hmm? How far does a $1200 loan weeks from now stretch regarding health insurance?

This is a disaster and it's emphasized as that by the responses in countries led by capable people with good healthcare systems.

But millions do not care.

#899 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 04 April 2020 - 10:42 PM

BK, our air ambulance service just got shut down, staff being thrown into the front line.

Man I dont think that's going to be a concern for you, surviving your governments incompetence period is your goal now.

#900 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 04 April 2020 - 10:46 PM

'Trump Won't Wear a Face Mask But Says He'd Try Unproven Coronavirus Drug

Trump again touted a potential coronavirus drug on Saturday, saying he would try it—despite not having coronavirus, and despite the drug not being approved for widespread use. The FDA has approved the emergency use of hydroxychloroquine, a malaria and lupus drug, to treat COVID-19 symptoms.

[...] Trump has tested negative twice for coronavirus but on Saturday he said: "I may take it. I have to ask my doctors about that." He said 29 million doses of the drug were now available for doctors to use on COVID-19 patients, and it had great potential. "I hope they use hydroxychloroquine," he said. "What do you have to lose?" He also mentioned unspecified reports that people taking the drug weren't getting coronavirus. "Maybe that's correct, maybe that's false, you'll have to check it out."'

https://www.thedaily...e-mask?ref=home

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 04 April 2020 - 10:46 PM

Share this topic:

• 174 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users