Malazan Empire: COVID-19 (aka Coronavirus, aka 2019-nCoV) - Malazan Empire

• 174 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

COVID-19 (aka Coronavirus, aka 2019-nCoV)

#3021 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 14 October 2021 - 08:29 PM

I should add that my wife has taken one and is negative but now I am worried about giving it to her. She has had both jabs but the effects of covid on pregnant women is as yet unknown.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#3022 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 14 October 2021 - 11:44 PM

I've been there - I had a rapid test be positive, then two subsequent tests over the next 5 days be negative, while my wife tested negative throughout.

It stinks. Hole up in a room. Read, do some pushups if you can, and play the video games you've got on your list. I'm sorry again.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#3023 User is offline   Lady Bliss 

• Shameless Minister of Silly Catwalks of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 15 October 2021 - 01:12 AM

Agree with Amp here Tiste. She should be fine, especially since she was vaccinated, but to be safe I’d hole up alone…. I feel for you, I would be worrying anyways. Please let us know when you get the results.
"If you prick us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? And if you wrong us shall we not revenge?" - Shylock

#3024 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 15 October 2021 - 06:47 AM

Don't really have the space to hole up alone as we got rid of the spare bed in anticipation of the twins coming. I suppose I could isolate at my parents house as they have tons of space but I think it's too late for that anyway... I did suggest it to my wife but I think she'd rather I wasn't elsewhere for the next 10 days. She basically said "let's just bunker down together l" and I think that's the most realistic option right now.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#3025 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 15 October 2021 - 07:12 AM

Keep swabbing that nose, could be a false P

Hope it is.

#3026 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 15 October 2021 - 09:05 AM

Got a PCR this morning so we'll see. Thanks for your support ❤️
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#3027 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 15 October 2021 - 09:24 AM

I've heard that if you snort a lot of cocaine you can't get COVID.

Maybe you can borrow some cocaine from your evidence lock up, Tiste. From the documentaries I've seen there's always an old cop serving desk duty willing to sign out evidence in exchange for a free donut.

#3028 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 15 October 2021 - 10:34 AM

Yeah I tried that but got hungry and ate the donuts before I got to him...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#3029 User is offline   Cyphon 

• Cagey Bastard of TQB
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 15 October 2021 - 11:46 AM

Good luck on the test results Tiste! Fingers crossed for you.
Para todos todo, para nosotros nada.

MottI'd always pegged you as more of an Ublala

#3030 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 15 October 2021 - 01:41 PM

Fingers crossed!
- Wyrd biđ ful arćd -

#3031 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 16 October 2021 - 08:48 AM

Well, the test came back positive. I feel a bit worse today - headache, blocked nose, general achiness. I slept terribly last night and my job means I have a huge sleep debt anyway so it could just be that it's all catching up with me at once. Going to try and rest up over the next 10 days but having a toddler in the house might make that a bit difficult...

This post has been edited by Tiste Simeon: 16 October 2021 - 08:49 AM

A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#3032 User is offline   Cyphon 

• Cagey Bastard of TQB

Posted 16 October 2021 - 10:49 AM

Hard luck Tiste. Be kind to yourself and even after the ten day period really ease your way back in, you want to try and avoid over exerting yourself for a good while.

#3033 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 16 October 2021 - 12:27 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 16 October 2021 - 08:48 AM, said:

Well, the test came back positive. I feel a bit worse today - headache, blocked nose, general achiness. I slept terribly last night and my job means I have a huge sleep debt anyway so it could just be that it's all catching up with me at once. Going to try and rest up over the next 10 days but having a toddler in the house might make that a bit difficult...

Shit, that sucks man. Here’s hoping you feel better soon.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#3034 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 16 October 2021 - 03:31 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 16 October 2021 - 08:48 AM, said:

Bad luck Tiste. MrPigDog felt kind of run down for a few days and lost his sense of taste but otherwise alright. I didn't catch it despite zero distancing and the kid was positive but fine. It runs a different course in every family but for vaccinated people the stats are in yours and Mrs Tistes favour.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#3035 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

Posted 16 October 2021 - 03:31 PM

Also, how fucking positive is the UK right now?!

#3036 User is offline   Cyphon 

• Cagey Bastard of TQB

Posted 16 October 2021 - 06:54 PM

It's so bonkers. Mask compliance is really low here in London. Fucking madness policy on the UK.

#3037 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

Posted 16 October 2021 - 09:00 PM

I'm going into London tomorrow for the first time since the pandemic started. We're feeling kind of invincible as a family as it's been through the house and we all survived. The tube might make me reassess.

#3038 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 16 October 2021 - 09:15 PM

'as [UK] Covid cases reach 40,000 a day, scientists think normalisation is partly to blame for the lack of public reaction

[...] the UK has among the highest number of infections across the world and a death toll that continues to steadily climb, yet the national mood seems sanguine. So is this down to British stoicism, a Keep Calm and Carry on mentality?

Not according to experts. They talk of many factors being at play – and warn it may not last.

[...] current attitudes have been shaped by the "Freedom Day narrative" – the social contract made between the government and the public that if people came forward for vaccines, life would return to normal. "A lot of people have bought into that," she said.

This includes some scientists. "There's some who are of the view that Covid is becoming endemic, it was always going to become endemic and we just need to get on with it," [...]

"Then we've got another group of scientists saying 'Look around the world at other countries that won't tolerate such high rates of infection, and what about long Covid?'"

Growing division in the community means that scientists are no longer providing a coherent argument – and to some extent the government can pick and choose which views it amplifies.

Is there something particular to the British psyche [...] relatively unshaken by the ongoing toll of the pandemic?

"There definitely isn't,[...]The British are much more safety conscious than most other countries when you look at driving, health and safety at work, the way we approach public health.

"This is something that is conditioned by the norms we see around us. When our leaders talk about Covid in the past tense, it gets through to people."

[...] psychologists say this steady stream of daily deaths – although the UK is now on an upwards trajectory – tends to feel less alarming than the rises we witnessed in the first year of the pandemic.

"We're built to react to change. We don't react to steady state," said West. "Something will have to change in people's psyche to make people feel like we need to do more about it."

[...] According to West, accepting steady state is a question of framing. "There are steady states that appear troubling for humans," [...] "By virtue of the fact that's it going to go on and on … the public may start saying: 'We can't keep having 1,000 deaths a week.'"

A possible trigger for such a reappraisal may be the continued strain on the NHS. Hospitals may not be "overwhelmed"but figures released this week showed that 5.7 million people were on waiting lists at the end of August, the highest figure since records began in 2007.'

[...] "The idea that everyone is accepting the new normal is very dangerous," [...] "Then you reinforce a sense of fatalism."

[...] points to a wealth of evidence in psychology showing that our behaviour can be shaped to a greater extent by what we think others think than by our own beliefs. "If your attitude is at odds with a perceived social norm, you're less likely to act on it," he said.

[...] the government has been "systematically normalising" the UK's current rate of infections.

[...] The media also plays a role in setting a perception of what is "normal"[...] "[Research shows] that the media changes virtually nobody's mind," [...] "But it changes people's belief about what others think."

[...] "The government has abandoned all pretence at public health measures to control Covid. It's a national scandal, but one which seems to have largely slipped from view."'

https://www.theguard...is-may-not-last

#3039 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 17 October 2021 - 12:28 AM

Reminds me of that whole "frog in slowly boiling as opposed to preboiled water" trope.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#3040 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 17 October 2021 - 03:18 AM

"It's a national scandal, but one which seems to have largely slipped from view." Ah, the perfect Tory play...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

Share this topic:

• 174 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic