Malazan Empire: COVID-19 (aka Coronavirus, aka 2019-nCoV) - Malazan Empire

• 174 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

COVID-19 (aka Coronavirus, aka 2019-nCoV)

#2921 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 10 August 2021 - 10:51 PM

'DeSantis was elected governor in 2018 with a victory margin of [... about] 32,000 votes. Florida's official COVID death toll is now 39,695 [...]

[...]

"He's staked so much more than any current Republican (on minimizing the virus) and it works well with the grassroots," [...]

What happened to the Republican war cry for local control? It was once a fundamental tenet of conservatism, that those closest to the problem know best how to solve it. [...]

[...] DeSantis signed an executive order authorizing the State Board of Education to suspend funding to any school district requiring students to wear masks.'

https://goodwordnews...gin-of-victory/

OTOH:

'Take me inside a hospital you work at in Florida [...]

[...] a lot of sad stories. Patients tend to be less educated. They tend to be the working class. There's a large migrant community, many of which are undocumented, who are coming in.

[...] asked her, "Why didn't you get vaccinated?" [...] she had some concerns, but she just didn't really have the time or the opportunity to get it. And she was someone that was working in the fields, harvesting crops.

[...] she wasn't opposed to getting the vaccine. It's just that no one really talked to her. And she clearly would have gotten the vaccine if she was targeted. [...] we could do better at our public health campaign and address these populations that are largely forgotten.

[...] Vaccination rates have always been low in certain demographics prior to the pandemic. Access to care has always been an issue in certain demographics prior to the pandemic.'

https://slate.com/ne...ccinations.html

Of course noncitizens can't vote. But could it be killing Black, brown, and/or poor non-Republican voters faster than DeSantis's supporters? Probably not:

'Florida: White % of deaths: 56% White % of total population: 53%' [that's from July]

https://www.kff.org/...22:%22asc%22%7D

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 10 August 2021 - 10:54 PM

#2922 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 11 August 2021 - 12:40 AM

Has the notion of a booster shot entered your guys' sphere of awareness yet? I think I'm going to start researching it myself.

#2923 User is offline   Cyphon 

• Cagey Bastard of TQB
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 11 August 2021 - 06:55 AM

Yes it has, and if the government approved health authorities back it that's enough research for me.

UK is gearing up for roll out alongside the Flu campaign.
Para todos todo, para nosotros nada.

MottI'd always pegged you as more of an Ublala

#2924 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 11 August 2021 - 08:30 AM

same same

#2925 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 11 August 2021 - 12:35 PM

What about the fact that it is monumentally unethical for people in the developed world to be receiving boosters when the at risk in non-developed countries haven't had a single shot? We will have gone beyond putting our own oxygen mask on in order to help others and into the realm of putting our own oxygen mask on and keeping the rest for ourselves just in case we need a spare.If we go down the booster route early and a vaccine resistant strain comes out of a third world virus melting pot we will be getting exactly what we deserve.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#2926 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 11 August 2021 - 03:45 PM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 11 August 2021 - 12:35 PM, said:

What about the fact that it is monumentally unethical for people in the developed world to be receiving boosters when the at risk in non-developed countries haven't had a single shot? We will have gone beyond putting our own oxygen mask on in order to help others and into the realm of putting our own oxygen mask on and keeping the rest for ourselves just in case we need a spare.If we go down the booster route early and a vaccine resistant strain comes out of a third world virus melting pot we will be getting exactly what we deserve.

Situation is a little different in the United States, since unused vaccines are expiring and regulations prevent them from being exported (apparently that would be practically impossible to change, at least without major action by Congress which seems almost impossible). But people aren't allowed to get booster shots---not even doses that are about to be thrown out ---unless they manage to evade the system by crossing state lines or going someplace that doesn't check them against the state database, etc. Even though Biden claims the US has more than enough doses for booster shots for everyone (... in the United States).

As I've mentioned, I've heard about vaccination centers that don't require ID because they don't want to scare off undocumented immigrants. I've been thinking of what my Spanish name should be. Though unfortunately I don't speak Spanish.... might be easier to pretend to be from some obscure Eastern European country, and rattle off some convincing gibberish into my smartphone?... Or I could just walk to New Jersey.

Statistician demonstrates that Pfizer's reasoning for their 'up to 6 months' efficacy figure is only valid for 4 months:

'Statistical statements turn on a few words

[...] Strictly speaking, the quoted statements describe the collected data. However, the meaning of these statements turn on a few words. I'll first focus on why they said "up to 6 months" rather than "6 months".

[...] Given the focus on the "6 month" point by the investigators, I was expecting to find the words six months in this table. They are not there. The closest thing we can see is >= 4 months, which is the last line of the above table.

The reason why six months can't be found is that a proper six-month efficacy analysis has become impossible when the FDA allowed the vaccine developers to offer the vaccine to everyone in the placebo group. [... almost all] participants jumped off the train... before they arrived at the six-month marker. Once they are off the train, there is no re-boarding so no further updates on "long term efficacy" is possible.

[...] What's more, the conductor instructed passengers to use exits at the back of the train as the doors near the front would not open. As a result, the proportion with at least 6 months of follow-up crashed from 55% to 7% while the number with fewer than 4 months of follow-up doubled. The vast majority of participants (about 65%) left the train with >=4 and <5 months of follow-up.'

https://junkcharts.t...-few-words.html

#2927 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 11 August 2021 - 06:57 PM

Holy shit.

https://www.reuters....any-2021-08-10/

This is not only "You're going to jail you anti-vaxxer nutjob" territory, this can very well be considered attempted murder. If anyone who got their shot there got covid and died after...that would be 100% on her.

My gods....what would POSESS you to do something like this? Is anti-vaxxer rhetoric really something worth fucking your entire life over for and the lives of thousands? I hate this timeline.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#2928 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 11 August 2021 - 07:02 PM

The nurse was trying to save those people from getting autism. #Notallheroeswearcapes

#2929 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 11 August 2021 - 07:26 PM

View PostAptorian, on 11 August 2021 - 07:02 PM, said:

The nurse was trying to save those people from getting autism. #Notallheroeswearcapes

I'm waiting to hear through the family grapevine that my anti-vaxx sister lauds this person (she crows about people who claim they've stopped people from getting vaxxed in lineups for the shot)....I'm really worried I'm going to hear that my own sister supports a genocidal madwoman.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#2930 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 11 August 2021 - 08:24 PM

It's really scary that violence against a person can come in this way - from a medical provider charged with caring for our health as their highest priority - and certain segments of our populations have much more experience with this ugly fact than I do.

This was violence and should be treated as such. Lauding this person as a hero means that the person doing the lauding wants violence.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#2931 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 12 August 2021 - 07:43 AM

View Postamphibian, on 11 August 2021 - 08:24 PM, said:

It's really scary that violence against a person can come in this way - from a medical provider charged with caring for our health as their highest priority - and certain segments of our populations have much more experience with this ugly fact than I do.

This was violence and should be treated as such. Lauding this person as a hero means that the person doing the lauding wants violence.

Harold Shipman moment
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#2932 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 12 August 2021 - 11:57 PM

View PostBriar King, on 12 August 2021 - 04:39 AM, said:

I have had an unfun and scary day on the 25th anniversary of me getting laid for the 1st time.

The unfun: driving to TX and back. This sucked last month but this one was way worse. My chest is in a vice and I’m wheezing and can’t move without breaking into a sweat and basically melting right back to where I was. Driving that left me beyond drained and I’ve barely moved since getting home over 13 hrs ago. This pattern is consistent from 1st shot. I’m over the pain they caused with cramping and am now in the jelly feeling phase. Please don’t last 2 weeks+ this time though!

The scary: something happened to me upon a sudden wake up from a hour long nap that I probably won’t describe very good. I popped awake and threw the covers off and immediately fainted(?) yet not fainted because I was seeing my POV sinking back down to the bed and then rolling sideways on my bed to lay on pillows and wind up staring at the sky out my window. It probably happened really fucking fast but it imprinted what felt like a few minutes. The spell finally broke when I gasped in air. Maybe instead of faint I just stuttered? It was indeed very scary feeling and I hope it doesn’t happen again.

Go get tested for COVID-19.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#2933 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 13 August 2021 - 10:06 AM

Short article about vaccine hesitancy.

https://www.news.com...38e79dc1e8afd3c

Covid-19 vaccine ad campaign explains how bias impacts hesitancy
There’s a reason our brains have a hard time processing the risk of a covid-19 vaccine. But these facts may help you change your mind.

Dan Monheit
AUGUST 13, 20213:33PM

Australia's top doctors have signed an open letter begging young Australians to get the first vaccine available to them.
Despite the 4.59 billion doses of Covid vaccines delivered straight into the arms of the global population, everyone in Australia seems to have their take.

Sometimes good (assuming everybody can get access), sometimes bad (thanks internet conspiracy theorists), but rarely indifferent.

While a small minority are vehemently opposed to any vaccine, many more are still nervous about potential risks and side effects, especially relating to the AstraZeneca option. Unfortunately, these fears are slowing our progress towards mass vaccination, which we know is our only path out of this mess.

The fact is the risk of a fatal side effect from the AstraZeneca vaccine, according to health experts, is one in a million. For context, the risk of fatality resulting from typical daily activities such as mowing the lawn, going for a bike ride, eating, having sex or walking down the street is far greater.

(It’s reported that every year one in 500,000 men die from sudden cardiac arrest during sex, according to the National Library of Medicine.)

As an ad guy and a Behavioural Science expert, I spend much of my week trying to put myself in the shoes of other people, unpicking the way they make decisions. Suppose like me, you went and got jabbed at the earliest possible opportunity. In that case, it can be hard to understand why so many others are dragging their feet, especially as we endure the misery of one lockdown after the next.

We shouldn’t be too hard on our chain dragging friends. As humans, we’re wired for short term survival, so it’s natural and often serves us well to be wary of new and different things. However, we also need to understand that there are subconscious biases at play here that also impact our decision-making processes.

Most notably is the Availability Bias, which is our tendency to use the information that comes to mind fastest (i.e. the most available) as the basis for our decisions.

If an example of something is easy to recall, we’re more likely to think it’s typical, representative and accurate. Essentially, events and memories that are recent, emotionally intense or personally significant leave more potent imprints, making them quicker to spring to mind.

When it comes to getting the jab, it’s easy to see how our brains can instantly draw on isolated, emotionally charged, one in a million stories about horrible side effects, rather than the hundreds of millions of incident-free and therefore unnewsworthy examples of people getting vaccinated then just going about their everyday lives.

Availability Bias is why we think we’ve got higher than realistic chances of winning the lottery or getting attacked by a shark. The thought of a shark attack is terrifying. It’s a visceral, emotionally charged memory even if we haven’t experienced it first hand.

The very fact that shark attacks are so rare means that they’re always front-page news when they do happen. Plus, there are those childhood memories from watching Jaws!

So it’s shark attacks that are the memory we’re more prone to recall when we swim beyond the breakers out into the ocean.

However, sharks kill fewer than a dozen people each year worldwide. By contrast, more than a quarter of a million people drown in the same time frame, many in domestic swimming pools and spas. Still, most of us don’t freak out or even think about drowning as there’s no visceral, emotional, easily-recalled memory to call upon.

Therefore, when you’re thinking of getting your jab, the conversation in your mind may go a little like this: “Hey brain, I’m thinking about getting an AstraZeneca vaccine. What do you reckon?” and your brain responds: “Are you crazy? Remember that perfectly healthy guy that died? Or the girl that felt like she had the flu for weeks? And what about your wife’s second cousin who got the AZ and hasn’t been able to feel her legs for two weeks? Noooo way!”

Of course, these are but three random examples out of millions of people that have had the vaccine, with little or nothing to report.

From an evolutionary perspective, it makes perfect sense that we’d remember emotional events above others. For our ancestors, if they’d eaten a berry that had made them gravely ill, it was crucial to cultivate a strong, readily accessible memory that screams ‘do not eat that damn poisonous berry again!’.

Bath? One in 685,000 chance of death.

Unfortunately, one side effect of this wiring is that we can end up not being scared of things we should be and scared of things that we shouldn’t.

Therefore for every emotionally charged “Don’t take it, it’s dangerous” statement, there need to be thousands, “Relax, you’ve got more chance being killed by a lawnmower,” statements in which there’s no emotional charge.

This is why advertising industry leaders are backing The Factsinaction A-Z campaign, which offers 26 ways you’re more likely to die than getting an AstraZeneca on Instagram to put those first to mind thoughts into a broader context, so they’re not frightening thoughts.

The way to overcome Availability Bias is to give people more readily available ‘good news’ stories to drown out the prominent negative narrative. Emotional family reunions, people fighting fit, and of course, lots of information about other daily tasks that are far riskier than the AZ jab are all a great start. Then, with enough of us out there encouraging, promoting and evangelising, we can clear the path to our 80 per cent target and get back to living the lives we all miss.

Dan Monheit from creative agency Hardhat is the instigator of the @Factsination campaign. Email thefactsination@gmail.com if you wanted to check any of the A to Z facts
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#2934 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 13 August 2021 - 11:27 AM

View Postamphibian, on 12 August 2021 - 11:57 PM, said:

View PostBriar King, on 12 August 2021 - 04:39 AM, said:

I have had an unfun and scary day on the 25th anniversary of me getting laid for the 1st time.

The unfun: driving to TX and back. This sucked last month but this one was way worse. My chest is in a vice and I’m wheezing and can’t move without breaking into a sweat and basically melting right back to where I was. Driving that left me beyond drained and I’ve barely moved since getting home over 13 hrs ago. This pattern is consistent from 1st shot. I’m over the pain they caused with cramping and am now in the jelly feeling phase. Please don’t last 2 weeks+ this time though!

The scary: something happened to me upon a sudden wake up from a hour long nap that I probably won’t describe very good. I popped awake and threw the covers off and immediately fainted(?) yet not fainted because I was seeing my POV sinking back down to the bed and then rolling sideways on my bed to lay on pillows and wind up staring at the sky out my window. It probably happened really fucking fast but it imprinted what felt like a few minutes. The spell finally broke when I gasped in air. Maybe instead of faint I just stuttered? It was indeed very scary feeling and I hope it doesn’t happen again.

Go get tested for COVID-19.

This is a good call. It's very possible, even though you have your two doses, that you still got Delta. Apparently 1dose (your second dose isn't at efficacy yet) COVID from Delta can feel pretty rough. Worth it for the peace of mind.

#2935 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 15 August 2021 - 04:46 PM

If I see one more local news piece where parents are bickering about their kids having to wear masks when school starts; that last, tenuous thread I have for there being any redeemable quality for humanity will be severed. These people are incorrigible, wrong headed and abject/depraved meanies. What a great example to set for your children.

#2936 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 16 August 2021 - 07:45 AM

Still haven't shaken the headache from Wednesday evening. That said, wife has come down with a nasty summer cold so I might have that off her (she's obliged to test three times a week by her work so we're confident it isn't coomervirus). Blurgh. I didn't expect sharing headspace with a billionaire would suck so bad.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#2937 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 16 August 2021 - 03:47 PM

My apartment is supposed to give me notice at least a day in advance before any inspection entering my apartment, but lo and behold, random inspection... for lead in my windows. At least they wore a mask. I had been en route to getting my procrastination in check today, but now my schedule's fucked up. Don't want to eat or drink while it's still potentially in the air.

Adding to the study indicating that post-infection declines in intelligence and the ability concentrate seem to last without abating....

'Neuropsychiatric symptoms may worsen over time in COVID-19 survivors

[...] New findings from researchers at Columbia University provide preliminary evidence that depression, insomnia, and trauma-related symptoms might grow worse over time.

[...]

The new study lacked a control group and did not control for some important socioeconomic factors, leaving it unclear whether the observed changes in symptoms were the result of COVID-19. But the findings are in line with a similar study, which examined trauma-related symptoms in COVID-19 survivors in Wuhan, China, and included a control group.

"While our studies should be considered preliminary, there is converging evidence from other research groups that PTSD-related symptoms are prominent in COVID-19 survivors,"'

https://www.psypost....survivors-61694

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 16 August 2021 - 03:47 PM

#2938 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 16 August 2021 - 05:42 PM

Was listening to morning drive discussion about there being quite a significant number of health care professionals who have refused to get vaccinated. I wonder why that is? They are in it and have seen the devastation. I don't get it.

#2939 User is offline   glasseye 

• Recruit

Posted 16 August 2021 - 05:51 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 16 August 2021 - 05:42 PM, said:

Was listening to morning drive discussion about there being quite a significant number of health care professionals who have refused to get vaccinated. I wonder why that is? They are in it and have seen the devastation. I don't get it.

They are also disproportionally exposed to the negative impacts of healthcare (ie when things go wrong) which can skew perspective.

#2940 User is offline   Lady Bliss 

• Shameless Minister of Silly Catwalks of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 16 August 2021 - 07:30 PM

Any doctor’s I have encountered have emphatically voiced that everyone should get vaccinated, but at my dermatologist’s office there were people not wearing masks. The receptionist said that there was no state mandate and shrugged. I said that was stupid. I hate Texas.
"If you prick us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? And if you wrong us shall we not revenge?" - Shylock

Share this topic:

• 174 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users