Malazan Empire: COVID-19 (aka Coronavirus, aka 2019-nCoV) - Malazan Empire

• 174 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

COVID-19 (aka Coronavirus, aka 2019-nCoV)

#2901 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 07 August 2021 - 10:44 AM

Nah I get it man.

Rich countries gonna rich.

There's no reason we can't be rolling it out worldwide. 30% of your pop is anti Vax? fuck em, send those jabs to Africa

#2902 User is offline   Gust Hubb 

• Necromancer Extraordinaire
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Glass slides with entrapped bits of colored tissue
  • Around, just quiet....er

Posted 07 August 2021 - 04:16 PM

View PostBriar King, on 07 August 2021 - 12:51 PM, said:

Get the 2nd shot it won't be as bad as 1st time. Bullllllllllllshit! Got it yesterday around 3pm and I was so happy when I crawled in bed at 2:22am perfectly fine thinking I heard it true. Woke up due to very antsy dreams at 4:13am and slowly came out of the fog realizing my body was cramped up like before and no amount of will let me keep asleep after trying. The ambien lost that battle and by 6:48am I was "up" "trying" to get out of bed. My 40 year old ass came(sorry 41 now) close to pissing all over my new bed. Lucky there was a cup right there or I would surely have to had done some mopping.

I can barely move off the couch now. I can definitely see myself nom nom ing an extra pk this time unlike last and boy was I close then..

Fucking Moderna.

Yeah, the vaccine can do that and it suckkkkkkssss. I know people who had anaphylaxis on the second shot. Covid is no joke, even when in vaccine form. But it is worth it, because the vaccine for many is the difference between seasonal "flu" and hospitalization with this delta variant.
"You don't clean u other peoples messes.... You roll in them like a dog on leftover smoked whitefish torn out f the trash by raccoons after Sunday brunch on a hot day."
~Abyss

#2903 User is offline   Gust Hubb 

• Necromancer Extraordinaire
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Glass slides with entrapped bits of colored tissue
  • Around, just quiet....er

Posted 07 August 2021 - 04:43 PM

Just reposting incase people missed this.
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/massachusetts-outbreak-demonstrates-delta-variants-transmissibility

• A series of large public events in a Massachusetts town in July 2021 has been linked to 469 new COVID-19 cases. Three-quarters of these cases were in fully vaccinated people.
  • The vast majority of infections were with the Delta variant of the virus.
  • Fully vaccinated individuals who contracted the virus appeared to be just as infectious as those who had not been fully vaccinated.
  • As a result, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) now recommend wearing masks in indoor public settings in areas with substantial or high transmission.

"You don't clean u other peoples messes.... You roll in them like a dog on leftover smoked whitefish torn out f the trash by raccoons after Sunday brunch on a hot day."
~Abyss

#2904 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 07 August 2021 - 05:31 PM

So what you're telling me is that come the fall, expect another national shut down. That's just swell.

#2905 User is offline   James Hutton 

• High Scholar of Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 07 August 2021 - 06:45 PM

View PostAptorian, on 07 August 2021 - 05:31 PM, said:

So what you're telling me is that come the fall, expect another national shut down. That's just swell.

It sucks, but I'm expecting this too. If not because of delta, than because of labda or that Colombian strain (or a wholly new variant).
Secret message: "Keep up the good work, yours truly"

#2906 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 07 August 2021 - 08:24 PM

View PostJames Hutton, on 07 August 2021 - 06:45 PM, said:

View PostAptorian, on 07 August 2021 - 05:31 PM, said:

It sucks, but I'm expecting this too. If not because of delta, than because of labda or that Colombian strain (or a wholly new variant).

What if the search for a universal coronavirus vaccine were given as much funding etc. as the search for the first COVID-19 vaccine?

Might be faster and easier to vaccinate the world with what's already been developed, but given the selfishness of rich countries... and the potential economic gains from eliminating about 20% of cases of the common cold, on top of all future variants....

#2907 User is offline   Garak 

• Emperor
  • Interests:40k, Star Wars, Babylon 5, WW2, A Song of Ice and Fire, the Drenai series, the Riftwar and all that followed it, D&D, Vikings, the Malazan Book of the Fallen. I think you get the gist of it.

Posted 07 August 2021 - 08:31 PM

Even if they come up with a vaccine to deal with any possible mutation, the anti-vaxxer will yell loud and long about it. And the longer this goes on, I feel like the fence sitters are falling on the anti-vaxx side.
The meaning of life is BOOM!!!

#2908 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 07 August 2021 - 08:37 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 05 August 2021 - 03:08 PM, said:

I dunno they said they wouldn't do it. Course things have changed just this week so they might do. She's going to call the lie again and fight her corner.

It will be because they only just have data that mix and match is probably ok and they only just have data that the same vaccine twice in pregnant women is ok but they don't yet have data that mix and match in pregnant women is ok. So they probably don't think it's not ok but they don't know it is ok and so it wouldn't be right to experiment on your missus.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#2909 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 07 August 2021 - 10:19 PM

Forgot to mention I had my second Pfizer on 3 Aug. Same as first jab - bit sore in the muscle at the jab point the next day as well as a slight headache and tiredness.
But that's it, 5 Aug was back to normal. Or whatever passes for normal with me. :p
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#2910 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 08 August 2021 - 08:07 AM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 07 August 2021 - 08:37 PM, said:

I dunno they said they wouldn't do it. Course things have changed just this week so they might do. She's going to call the lie again and fight her corner.

It will be because they only just have data that mix and match is probably ok and they only just have data that the same vaccine twice in pregnant women is ok but they don't yet have data that mix and match in pregnant women is ok. So they probably don't think it's not ok but they don't know it is ok and so it wouldn't be right to experiment on your missus.

Would she be able to say, essentially, "my body my choice" in this case or would they have a duty of care to the point that they can just point blank refuse her?
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#2911 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

Posted 08 August 2021 - 03:49 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 08 August 2021 - 08:07 AM, said:

View PostMezla PigDog, on 07 August 2021 - 08:37 PM, said:

Would she be able to say, essentially, "my body my choice" in this case or would they have a duty of care to the point that they can just point blank refuse her?

I think the latter. I'm not 100% sure if emergency rules trump regular rules but under regular rules the vaccine manufacturer would be required to extend their summary of product characteristics to add extra types of use for their vaccine. That means they take on responsibility for the associated risks in the new type of use and medicine laws mean that has to be approved first. You won't get approved without data and a manufacturer wouldn't even think about it as you can imagine the hit on share prices if they do something that harms pregnant women and unborn children - I assume consciences too. Many run of the mill medicines aren't approved for use in pregnant women and it's not because people have reason to think negative things will happen, it is because nobody has decided it's worth the risk/cost to do a trial.

#2912 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 08 August 2021 - 07:01 PM

Aha thanks Mezla. We'll give them a call and find out if there's any updates for us.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#2913 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

Posted 08 August 2021 - 07:57 PM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 25 February 2020 - 10:28 PM, said:

The Olympics is at stake. We can all be as racist as we like but I need to see who wins the Modern Pentathlon.

Turns out Great Britain won gold in the men's and the women's!! A year late.

#2914 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 10 August 2021 - 04:00 AM

'Missouri taxi company refuses vaccinated, masked customers

[...]

"We don't allow any type of masks in our vehicles. The second one, we're very against the vaccines, and we do not wish to have people in our vehicle that did the vaccines," owner Charlie Bullington [...]

"I understand Missouri is one of the top three states with the lowest vaccination rate, so I am proud of all the Missouri people for standing against this," [...]

[...] Missouri actually ranked 39th among states based on percentage of population fully vaccinated.

Bullington said both policies were "safety protocols" and were not discriminatory. He said he took issue with the masks because he couldn't see customers' faces. [...]

One reviewer who said they were denied a ride said the driver texted them multiple times afterward.

"This man spent 2 hours harassing me via text about his anti mask nonsense. I had to ask him three times to leave me alone,"'

https://thehill.com/...asked-customers

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 10 August 2021 - 04:00 AM

#2915 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 10 August 2021 - 07:43 AM

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 10 August 2021 - 04:00 AM, said:

'Missouri taxi company refuses vaccinated, masked customers

[...]

"We don't allow any type of masks in our vehicles. The second one, we're very against the vaccines, and we do not wish to have people in our vehicle that did the vaccines," owner Charlie Bullington [...]

"I understand Missouri is one of the top three states with the lowest vaccination rate, so I am proud of all the Missouri people for standing against this," [...]

[...] Missouri actually ranked 39th among states based on percentage of population fully vaccinated.

Bullington said both policies were "safety protocols" and were not discriminatory. He said he took issue with the masks because he couldn't see customers' faces. [...]

One reviewer who said they were denied a ride said the driver texted them multiple times afterward.

"This man spent 2 hours harassing me via text about his anti mask nonsense. I had to ask him three times to leave me alone,"'

https://thehill.com/...asked-customers

It sometimes astounds me exactly how thick people are.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#2916 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 10 August 2021 - 08:32 AM

What exactly is that quote that may or may not have come from Einstein? Something along the lines of
"There are only 2 things that are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. And I'm not so sure about the universe."

I've always been fond of the version that goes something like
"Aye, all the world's mad save me and thee. And I have my doubts about thee."

And not forgetting
"Every time you build something you think is idiot-proof, the universe goes and builds a better idiot."

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 10 August 2021 - 08:39 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#2917 User is offline   cauthon 

• Geek in progress
  • Interests:photography, fantasy

Posted 10 August 2021 - 10:46 AM

The idiot likely was already built in anticipation of your enhanced proofness.

This post has been edited by cauthon: 10 August 2021 - 10:46 AM

#2918 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 10 August 2021 - 11:51 AM

Just had a meeting with a small vaccine task force visiting our area of town.

Since we're located in "a challenged" part of the city, we're opening a 3 day pop-up vaccine station at our library in a week or two. They'll take over our cafe area and the kitchens (They were closed anyway). We're going to have a couple of guards outside to guide people inside and manage the potential line that will form outside and people can wait in the cafe area afterwards.

It's going to be fun to see how many people people show up. They're projecting around 500 people over three days but since it's a completely open arrangement, we might see a lot more showing up.

It's going to get crazy when they come back to administer the second injection. It'll be at the start of our municipal and european elections, so there's also going to be a massive early vote by mail thing going on.

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 10 August 2021 - 11:54 AM

#2919 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 10 August 2021 - 05:09 PM

After all that, the vaccine team here have said my wife can have the second AZ vaccine... Ages booked in at the beginning of September...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#2920 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 10 August 2021 - 07:52 PM

'If the Delta wave follows a path comparable to the U.K., this could be particularly problematic in the U.S. A rapid rise in cases followed by a fast deceleration and then a rebound to a plateau at a markedly elevated level constitutes a trajectory that could be especially painful for the U.S. as autumn and winter approach.

The inaccurate boom and bust theory

Some experts are suggesting that the Delta surge may quickly collapse. They point to data from other countries which indicate that the Delta-driven wave may dissipate as fast as it emerged. [...]

In the U.K., [...] cases fell sharply for about 10 days, only to rebound somewhat and plateau at an elevated level of more than 25,000 cases per day. The 7-day average of cases, hospitalizations, and deaths is still at least 10 times what it was at the end of May.

[...] the 7-day average of cases and deaths in India is still four to five times what it was in early March and not showing any signs of decreasing further[...]

In May, very few experts projected the magnitude of the current U.S. wave [...]

Across all Covid-19 indicators, the numbers suggest that the U.S. is, thus far, the only wealthy, industrialized nation to see such a weak (or no) decoupling between cases and hospitalizations. [...] The present ratio may actually be even worse, as there’s 50% less testing now than there was during the winter wave.'

https://www.forbes.c...sh=6972d3205bad

More examples of medical experts making misleadingly optimistic statements to the media---and seemingly going (mostly?) unchallenged by those platforming them, even when they're mischaracterizing easily checkable data (or at least in this case omitting an extremely significant detail...).

Share this topic:

• 174 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users