Malazan Empire: COVID-19 (aka Coronavirus, aka 2019-nCoV) - Malazan Empire

• 174 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

COVID-19 (aka Coronavirus, aka 2019-nCoV)

#141 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 05 March 2020 - 07:33 AM

When I was working retail in a supermarket I remember a crazy day where a bus load of American tourists came through the store. All of them had creditcards that weren't chipped and when they swipped them through the machine, they didn't have any PIN-code for their cards. So they couldn't buy anything. No PIN for a credit card seems crazy to me, even now where we have chips. Might as well still be using one of those flyswatter thingies where you take an imprint of a card and hope nobody abuses the system.

#142 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 05 March 2020 - 09:21 AM

People are beginning to panic buy stuff like pasta over here, cos that's exactly what we need right now...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#143 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 05 March 2020 - 09:28 AM

I went out last week and bought 5 kgs of rice and bunch of canned food. Early bird gets to survive the supermarket apocalypse.

#144 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 05 March 2020 - 09:48 AM

I have made no such purchases. And refuse to.

#145 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 05 March 2020 - 11:04 AM

View PostMacros, on 05 March 2020 - 09:48 AM, said:

I have made no such purchases. And refuse to.

I am inclined to the same, was rather annoyed last week when I had a choice between buying no toilet paper, or buying twice what I normally do, because all the regular size packs were sold out. As of today's shop, my local is completely out of: hand sanitizer; toilet paper; canned fruit; dispoable wipes/antibacterial wipes; and running out of regular tissues and other canned food.
It's frankly ridiculous. And ultimately this kind of panic is probably going to do more damage than the Coronavirus was ever likely to, if it causes a recession. -_-

Australian supermarkets are now instituting limits on the amount of certain goods you can purchase, like toilet paper, and rice. SMH.

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#146 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 05 March 2020 - 12:37 PM

On my last online shop I stocked up on a few extra bits of non-perishable food that my child will happily eat every day. An extra bag of pasta, more beans and some cereal basically. If Mr PigDog and I overlap with the fever stage and aren't able to go out for stuff as usual then we will need to feed him easily for a couple of days and I could do without worrying about that. If I have a rotten fever I'm sure I won't be eating anyway but I have a small person to feed and no family down the road to ask for help.

Now if any of you have a toilet paper problem I will be selling baby wipes on the black market - we have a truck load as Mr PigDog went mad in Costco a few months back.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#147 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 05 March 2020 - 12:55 PM

Seems there's a case in my town now, guess I'll die cursing all Asians that I'll never see my blue passport*.

*Oh Barnsley, you suck

Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#148 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 05 March 2020 - 03:35 PM

It is a tad disturbing to find that I am actually leaning towards the Trump view on coronavirus. He says the current death rate is most likely overstated, as Mezla suggested previously as well, and you can tell that he has genuinely been listening to good medical practitioners on this from the way he explains it. Browny points for Trump.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#149 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 05 March 2020 - 04:00 PM

No.

He also advises that people WITH the virus should still go to work. They will heal "by sitting around" he claims.

Just fucking no.

He also wondered out loud to health workers if the flu vaccine would help...this guy is a fuckton of morons rolled into one slimey dipshit.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#150 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 05 March 2020 - 04:16 PM

With trump at the helm you just have to hope something more serious doesn’t happen. A terrorist crisis, a war, a bigger natural disaster he can’t seem to manage any of it, has lost the trust of more than half Americans

#151 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 05 March 2020 - 04:31 PM

View PostCause, on 05 March 2020 - 04:16 PM, said:

With trump at the helm you just have to hope something more serious doesn’t happen. A terrorist crisis, a war, a bigger natural disaster he can’t seem to manage any of it, has lost the trust of more than half Americans

Worse, he ignores those that DO know about this stuff because he thinks he knows better.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#152 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 05 March 2020 - 08:11 PM

And I just read an article whereby a person has pulled a knife on another person in order to try and get toilet roll in a panic buy situation. Idiots.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#153 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 05 March 2020 - 10:32 PM

What is it with the toilet roll. Stab someone for food, sure. But toilet roll? Maybe I should check my privilege since I'm sitting on a baby wipe goldmine but this seems silly.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#154 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 05 March 2020 - 10:58 PM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 05 March 2020 - 10:32 PM, said:

What is it with the toilet roll. Stab someone for food, sure. But toilet roll? Maybe I should check my privilege since I'm sitting on a baby wipe goldmine but this seems silly.

You shall rule the wasteland justly I am sure!

All hail Queen Mezla, of the baby wipe horde!

#155 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 05 March 2020 - 11:05 PM

There's something in our DNA about having a roll of toilet paper available and the anxiety caused thinking about not having one. I remember when my dad loaded up the car to drive my older brother to university. The first priority and first thing my dade made sure was packed was a package of toilet paper. He was not going to have my brother enter the freshmen dorm having to locate some when he had to drop the browns off at the super bowl.

#156 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 06 March 2020 - 04:09 AM

Maybe this will help bidets to get a foothold in the US. #spraymybutt

#157 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 06 March 2020 - 05:04 AM

I don't think that hashtag would be used the way you think it would.

#158 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 06 March 2020 - 05:24 AM

I miss Japanese toilets!

Also the run on hand sanitizer has been crazy. I’m sad, I like to use some before I eat and after I ride the subway.

#159 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 06 March 2020 - 05:43 AM

View PostCause, on 06 March 2020 - 05:24 AM, said:

I miss Japanese toilets!

Also the run on hand sanitizer has been crazy. I'm sad, I like to use some before I eat and after I ride the subway.

Regular soap + water kills the virus easily. And using hand sanitizer too frequently and/or not washing it off can crack your skin and potentially let the virus in.

But I had been using a lot of hand sanitizer. The outbreak's actually gotten me to switch to soap more.

Agree about bidets. Provided it doesn't get in the water... though I'd suppose that bottled water, or mineral water... with a blow-dryer....

Some interesting articles:

'The Coronavirus Is More Than Just a Health Crisis

National leaders are leaning on experts to help deal with the outbreak, but the really difficult decisions are not medical. They are political.'

[trigger warning: quotes Kissinger repeatedly]

https://www.theatlan...britain/607456/

'China's cases of Covid-19 are finally declining. A WHO expert explains why.

"It's all about speed": the most important lessons from China's Covid-19 response.'

https://www.vox.com/...B8hHasiGR6HpBug

'A Warning From a Scientist Who Saw the Coronavirus Coming

"It's our everyday way of going about business on the planet that seems to be driving this."'

https://slate.com/te...prevention.html

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 06 March 2020 - 05:44 AM

#160 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 06 March 2020 - 07:10 AM

Misinformation going around that you can use vodka as a replacement for hand sanitizer. Screw that! I'm not going to sacrifice my evening wind down - club soda, vodka and lime - so I can DIY hand sanitizer. Good old workman's bar of Lava soap, hot running tap water from sink in utility room, and vigorous hand washing for me.

Share this topic:

• 174 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

5 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users