Malazan Empire: Tokyo 2020 (now in 2021) - Malazan Empire

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Tokyo 2020 (now in 2021)

#21 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 23 July 2021 - 04:34 PM

View PostAbyss, on 23 July 2021 - 02:01 PM, said:

View PostTiste Simeon, on 23 July 2021 - 01:38 PM, said:

I always feel sorry for the countries that enter in the ceremony with like one or two athletes. It must be weird seeing the likes of the USA coming on with hundreds of people and then it's just, like, you... I know they must be hugely popular in their home countries due to the fact that they just got there in the first place, and well done to them! Still, strange...

Counterpoint... when those countries' athletes win, for maybe 24hours, the Games actually have a purpose.

It's like when people beat pretentious bags of toxic masculinity like Michael Phelps...gotta cheer for the underdogs, and that guy is such a windbag villain anyways. I watch the swimming because I used to swim, but the USA just stacks their team with big jacked dudes who dominate so it's never much fun.

My fave comps that both the wife and I love watching are women's rugby and Indoor volleyball.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#22 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 25 July 2021 - 08:49 AM

Well, that's just an unfortunate name ...

https://www.news.com...939ffd78ff691ee
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#23 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 26 July 2021 - 08:46 PM

View PostBriar King, on 26 July 2021 - 12:28 AM, said:

Kinda worried about Simone. Man she is so off and she knows it and it's showing in her behavior. I don't see the typical happiness on her face. I'm hoping her legend ain't becoming a chain tying her up. Granted this is only qualify rounds but the pressure on her to make history is massive.

'I truly do feel like I have the weight of the world on my shoulders at times," Biles wrote on Monday'

https://www.cbsnews....ics-qualifiers/

'France Hands USA Men's Basketball Team Their 1st Olympic Loss Since 2004'

https://www.theroot....mpic-1847360685

Anything in the rules that says robots can't play basketball? If not, I guess the Olympics do require competitors to be citizens... so grant the robot citizenship?

'Toyota's basketball robot steals the show at the Tokyo Olympics

CUE, the AI basketball-playing robot, almost never misses a shot --- and the Twitterverse had nervous jokes about 'robot overlords.'''

https://www.marketwa...ics-11627313853

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 26 July 2021 - 08:48 PM

#24 User is offline   Shinrei 

• charin charin

Posted 27 July 2021 - 08:04 AM

The pantomime was probably the most 'Japanese' thing about the opening ceremony to be honest. I quite enjoyed that.
You’ve never heard of the Silanda? … It’s the ship that made the Warren of Telas run in less than 12 parsecs.

#25 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 27 July 2021 - 08:46 AM

These Olympics are an absolute unmitigated disaster for the Netherlands so far. What a comedy of errors and bad luck.

- highest number of Covid-19 infections within the team compared to any other nation.
- women's road cycling team (favourites for gold) had not realised that a lone rider had escaped up front and only realised minutes after finishing the race that, in fact, they had not won gold.
- mountain biker Van der Poel (potential medal candidate) not realising that a ramp which had been on the course during practice would not be in place during the actual race, causing him to have a major fall and eventually leaving the race.
- BMX rider smashing into a steward crossing the race course and breaking his knee.
- men's hockey team not realising they had one more player on the pitch than the allowed number.

I don't think I've seen a single moment of these games so far, which is a real shame. Obviously the time difference doesn't help, but the coverage in the UK is pretty dire this year as well. Every single event used to be broadcast on TV by the BBC, but apparently all the rights have been bought up by the US channel Discovery, who only allow the BBC to show two events for free and have stuck the rest behind a pay wall. A pay wall, for the Olympics. It baffles the mind. Welcome to Capitalism 2021. Surely the Olympics should be the one remaining haven for free and accessible sports. But no: pay walls. Well, fuck it then.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#26 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 27 July 2021 - 12:49 PM

View PostShinrei, on 27 July 2021 - 08:04 AM, said:

The pantomime was probably the most 'Japanese' thing about the opening ceremony to be honest. I quite enjoyed that.

A WILD SHINREI APPEARS!

How's is going?
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#27 User is offline   Shinrei 

• charin charin

Posted 27 July 2021 - 02:19 PM

It goes ok. Haven't seen much of the games and am not too unhappy about that to be honest. I wouldn't be speaking crazy talk to claim these are the most disliked Olympics BY THE HOST COUNTRY in Olympics history.

I did pass some of the long distance bike teams out training as I drove up the mountain pass to Yamanakako last week, including the Netherlands women's team, 2 men from the Czech Republic and one lone woman from Luxembourg. I am guessing she represents fully 1% of the population?
You’ve never heard of the Silanda? … It’s the ship that made the Warren of Telas run in less than 12 parsecs.

#28 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 27 July 2021 - 03:22 PM

View PostShinrei, on 27 July 2021 - 02:19 PM, said:

I wouldn't be speaking crazy talk to claim these are the most disliked Olympics BY THE HOST COUNTRY in Olympics history.

It very much seems like it, and to be honest I think they are right to be angry. I certainly would be.

#29 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 27 July 2021 - 03:39 PM

So I watched the cross country MTB event. Man, that was awesome. Made me tired just watching it. Jolanda Neff is an absolute beast.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#30 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 27 July 2021 - 06:24 PM

Also, good on you Simone. The fact that a man accused of sexual assault is allowed to stay in the Olympic team with a "special plan" so he's not left alone with women but you and your partner's had to fight to be heard and believed over Nassar proves we're nowhere near being in a place where women are treated like human beings... Screw anyone who tells you different.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#31 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 28 July 2021 - 02:31 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 27 July 2021 - 06:24 PM, said:

Also, good on you Simone. The fact that a man accused of sexual assault is allowed to stay in the Olympic team with a "special plan" so he's not left alone with women but you and your partner's had to fight to be heard and believed over Nassar proves we're nowhere near being in a place where women are treated like human beings... Screw anyone who tells you different.

This.

I often think people can be judged on the quality of the people they annoy most - when Piers Morgan is bursting a blood vessel to call you weak, you know you're a champion.
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#32 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 29 July 2021 - 11:56 AM

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 28 July 2021 - 02:31 PM, said:

View PostTiste Simeon, on 27 July 2021 - 06:24 PM, said:

This.

I often think people can be judged on the quality of the people they annoy most - when Piers Morgan is bursting a blood vessel to call you weak, you know you're a champion.

I love how he's been put down for those comments.

"Yeah but you couldn't even argue with a weatherman without flouncing, Piers duck"

Topmost are the keks.

Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#33 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 29 July 2021 - 04:35 PM

Wish I could claim credit for this one, but I saw it elsewhere:

Craig David has been chosen to join Team GB at the Olympics, specifically the archery team. His role is to be the bow selecter...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#34 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 30 July 2021 - 06:32 AM

Well, the Dutch BMx guy who broke his kneecap won gold. I don't even want to know what colour the medal would have been if he hadn't had a patella hairline fracture. Miraculously back in the top 10 medal table, even after all the madness.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#35 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 30 July 2021 - 07:00 AM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 29 July 2021 - 04:35 PM, said:

Craig David has been chosen to join Team GB at the Olympics, specifically the archery team. His role is to be the bow selecter...

:huh:
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#36 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 30 July 2021 - 07:52 AM

View PostTsundoku, on 30 July 2021 - 07:00 AM, said:

It's proper bow, I tell thi.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#37 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 30 July 2021 - 01:18 PM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 30 July 2021 - 07:52 AM, said:

WTF are you guys on about? Can I get an interpreter? :unsure:

#38 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 30 July 2021 - 03:36 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 30 July 2021 - 01:18 PM, said:

View PostMaark Abbott, on 30 July 2021 - 07:52 AM, said:

WTF are you guys on about? Can I get an interpreter? :unsure:

Craig David was a terrible (albeit very successful) R&B artist a while back, one of his hits being this one in which he uses a term Bo Selecta or something similar:
https://youtu.be/cUYgNEwD3gQ

Maark is riffing on it based on a weird and ridiculous but actually pretty hilarious comedy that was on around the same time called Bo Selecta which mocked a number of different celebrities including Craig David. Here's a bit of it, though I dunno if it is the best clip as it's been years since I've seen it:
https://youtu.be/kMEsBEBypRE

My joke involved the term "Bow Selecter" which is a play on words based on his song (and probably in UK national consciousness the spoof TV show as well because everyone was quoting at the time...)
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#39 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 30 July 2021 - 03:55 PM

Ah ok, ta. I think I remember Craig David. He sang wimpy, syrupy R'n'B shit and had a "goatee" that looked like it was drawn on with eyeliner.

#40 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 01 August 2021 - 02:43 PM

I just saw the highlights of the BMX freestyle. It was amazing! Everything else I've seen pales into second after that. The gold and silver medal runs in the men's and the womens were insane. How do you ever go upside down on a bike on purpose??
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users