Share hidden diamonds in the rough Good movies others might not know about

#21 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 13 August 2019 - 10:54 PM

Hardware
Jacob's Ladder
Enter the Void

If you haven't heard of, or are not familiar with, and your curiosity is piqued, you should definitely investigate.

#22 User is offline   Knowing 

• Corporal

Posted 13 August 2019 - 11:50 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 13 August 2019 - 07:11 PM, said:

The 13th Warrior.

I really enjoyed it, but I don't think it is very well known.

One of my favorites. I watched that when I was around 8yrs old and was mesmerized. It wasn't until I could rent from Blockbuster on my own when reading the credits I found out it was based on "Eaters of the Dead" by Michael Crichton
More life may trickle out of men through thought than through a gaping wound.
--Thomas Hardy

#23 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 14 August 2019 - 09:44 AM

Ah dang, forgot about Jacob's ladder.

I should also mention Cube, Primer, and Dark City.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#24 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 14 August 2019 - 10:28 AM

Curse of the golden flower (although Oscar nominated for best costume, I doubt it stuck with many) is a feast for the eyes and features Chow Yun Fat in a pretty great role.
I would recommend Takeshi Kitano's Zatoichi (2003) as a cool movie that is made infinitely more awesome by its ending scene. 13 Assassins is a straight forward, fucked up samurai orgy of death brought to the screen in an arthouse way, if that's your thing. Obligatory reference to Kurosawa's Kagemusha and Throne of Blood must be made, but they're hardly hidden gems.

Beasts of the southern wild is a great watch, and I would recommend The broken circle breakdown, for its soundtrack alone. Goodbye Lenin, although I saw it so long ago I can't really remember much except I liked it.
Personally, I love almost anything I've seen of Richard Linklater and as such would recommend before sunset and before midnight (haven't seen Before Sunrise), and Boyhood blew me away.

Oldies: The Sting, with a young Robert Redford, is quite alright.

This post has been edited by Tapper: 14 August 2019 - 10:28 AM

Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#25 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
  • Interests:Mafia. Awesome Pictures. Awesome Videos. Did I mention Mafia?
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 14 August 2019 - 10:36 AM

View PostGorefest, on 13 August 2019 - 08:46 AM, said:

Always tricky these, because one person's 'obscure' may be another person's 'blatantly obvious'. But I'll have a stab at what might be considered less mainstream by some of you (I'll try not to wither under your scoffs), due to them being non-English language films:
C'est arrive pres de chez vous / Man bites dog (or most early career films starring Benoit Poelvoorde, for that matter, the guy is a walking cult classic)
In China they eat dogs (plus the sequel: Old men in new cars)
Delicatessen
Hero
Lola Rennt
Cidade de deus (city of god)

I was going to say Run Lola Run! yet you went all swarve.

Amorres Perros is probably the best film you've never seen. I wouldn't want to give anything away.

Dark City is a cult classic, but many of my friends have not watched t.

There are a plethora of films that you may have watched though, like Kickboxer, Blood Sport, Double Impact, Universal Soldier with Van Damme.

Demolition Man, Blade, White Men Can't Jump with Snipes.

No Escape is a fantastic film 2015. Owen Wilson in a different role to your used to.

A bit of comedy? Hmm, Couple Retreat, Hall Pass, Waiting, Road Trip, Grown Ups and Grown Ups 2, both funny as a parent watching them. Deuce Bigalow, Happy Gilmore but you know not to take them serious, and just enjoy the ride.

These are just a few that popped into my head, but watching them I don't think I had a bad experience and have not watched back to see if they stand the test of time. Talking about time..

About time is a good film.
Apt is the only one who reads this. Apt is nice.

#26 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
  • Interests:Mafia. Awesome Pictures. Awesome Videos. Did I mention Mafia?
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 14 August 2019 - 10:47 AM

One I watched that has always stuck with me was Cube, definitely worth a watch! Some strangers wake up in separate rooms and have to find their way out of this maze, but some of the rooms are deadly. Very good!
Apt is the only one who reads this. Apt is nice.

#27 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 14 August 2019 - 12:26 PM

View PostKnowing, on 13 August 2019 - 11:50 PM, said:

View PostMalankazooie, on 13 August 2019 - 07:11 PM, said:

The 13th Warrior.

I really enjoyed it, but I don't think it is very well known.

One of my favorites. I watched that when I was around 8yrs old and was mesmerized. It wasn't until I could rent from Blockbuster on my own when reading the credits I found out it was based on "Eaters of the Dead" by Michael Crichton

Not only that, but the film was originally called that, and they even made a teaser trailer that ran in theatres with the EATERS title. It was changed late in the game, and McTiernan was largely taken off it and replaced by Crichton himself who did a load of reshoots to make the movie more palatable to test audiences. I'm curious what McTiernan's original cut looked like.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#28 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 14 August 2019 - 12:38 PM

I'll second Primer.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#29 User is offline   Knowing 

• Corporal

Posted 14 August 2019 - 02:32 PM

A great supernatural flick is

"Bubba Ho-Tep"

Bruce Campbell plays Elvis who gives up the life and ends up in a retirement home. Silly Premise but the acting and directing is great.
More life may trickle out of men through thought than through a gaping wound.
--Thomas Hardy

#30 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 14 August 2019 - 07:03 PM

Speaking of Takeshi Kitano, my favorite is Kikujiro. It's not one of his more hardcore gangster films -- it's basically him taking some kid cross country to reunite with his mom, and kind of a dramedy -- but it is still absolutely 100% Beat Takeshi at heart, in style and substance. Really, really wonderful.

Also, if anyone hereafter watches Dark City, watch the version without the opening narration.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#31 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 15 August 2019 - 05:34 PM

Would you guys consider the movie Being John Malkovich in this category? - an obscure gem of a movie that not a lot of people know about.

I mean, I think it's more well known then some of the other movies listed here, but when I've attempted to discuss the movie with a lot of my friends or during water cooler talk at the office, many of them have said they haven't seen it.

Man, though, it's a weird movie. Especially when John Malkovich enters the portal into his own mind. Damn, that's about as 'meta' as meta can get. Bizarre doesn't even approach describing it.

#32 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 15 August 2019 - 08:43 PM

View PostTapper, on 14 August 2019 - 10:28 AM, said:

Beasts of the southern wild is a great watch,

One of my favourite movies ever, this.

View PostMalankazooie, on 15 August 2019 - 05:34 PM, said:

Man, though, it's a weird movie. Especially when John Malkovich enters the portal into his own mind. Damn, that's about as 'meta' as meta can get. Bizarre doesn't even approach describing it.

If you think Being John Malkovic is weird you should watch French movie Holy Motors.

Anyway, a couple more to add to the list:

Belleville Rendez-vous, a French silent animated black comedy about tour-de-France cyclists being kidnapped and one of their grandmothers' quest to get him back. It is amazing.

A Town Called Panic! - also French, a stop motion comedy. It's plot is essentially meaningless, but I hurt myself I laughed so hard, and I'm not even a big laugher at films normally.

All is Lost - Robert Redford being stranded on a broken yacht in the pacific. Despite not being in space it's everything I wanted Gravity to be as an isolation movie. Very quiet, measured pace, and insanely tense.

Monsters: I'm not sure this still counts as obscure given Gareth Edwards has since gone on to direct Star Wars films, but I figure it must. Basically, take Avatar. Then imagine a sci-fi/alien movie that is the opposite of Avatar in every single way. You might be in the ballpark. It's kind of like if Terence Malick decided to do a space invaders movie.

I wasn't gonna mention Oldboy since it doesn't feel obscure to me, but as it's no less obscure than The Raid or True Romance, I will: if you've not seen the original Korean Oldboy, fix that immediately.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#33 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 15 August 2019 - 08:57 PM

I'll add a couple;

Moon 44, at least a B- movie from '91. I like it and maintain that it still measures up. Good, solid eighties/early nineties SciFi!

Impostor, first time I saw this movie it blew my mind! Granted, I was younger then, but I still enjoy it. Added bonus with recycled Starship Troopers clips to really hammer home that B movie feel! Posted Image
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#34 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 15 August 2019 - 10:50 PM

13th warrior has already been mentioned.

i'll throw in an absolutely classic, its not what I'd consider unknown (to me anyway) but given its age it might be now.

Some Like It Hot.

still one of the greatest comedies made (imo)

#35 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 15 August 2019 - 11:09 PM

Hell yah it is.

#36 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 16 August 2019 - 09:33 AM

View PostAbyss, on 13 August 2019 - 02:13 PM, said:

TRUE ROMANCE.... now i know many here will know and possibly love this flic because we are who we are, but it is perpetually overlooked as possibly Quentin Tarantino's bestest film. It's got a solid cast, fun cameos, more respect for the audience than most Tarantino work, and it a hell of a lot of fun. The snappy dialogue is there but it isn't as 'Tarantinoesque' as elsefilm. Also, violent. Also also, Christopher Walken and Dennis Hopper in one of the single greatest scenes in modern cinema. And i would argue that at a point when Tarantino is taking a lot of flack for his treatment of women in his work, mostly deserved, this film manages to make its female lead both vulnerable and amazingly strong, with one viscerally discomforting impressive scene in mind where Patricia Arquette just annihilates a performance most actresses could not pull off.

Wasn't True Romance made by Tony Scott?
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#37 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 16 August 2019 - 12:42 PM

View PostPrimateus, on 16 August 2019 - 09:33 AM, said:

TRUE ROMANCE.... now i know many here will know and possibly love this flic because we are who we are, but it is perpetually overlooked as possibly Quentin Tarantino's bestest film. It's got a solid cast, fun cameos, more respect for the audience than most Tarantino work, and it a hell of a lot of fun. The snappy dialogue is there but it isn't as 'Tarantinoesque' as elsefilm. Also, violent. Also also, Christopher Walken and Dennis Hopper in one of the single greatest scenes in modern cinema. And i would argue that at a point when Tarantino is taking a lot of flack for his treatment of women in his work, mostly deserved, this film manages to make its female lead both vulnerable and amazingly strong, with one viscerally discomforting impressive scene in mind where Patricia Arquette just annihilates a performance most actresses could not pull off.

It was directed by him, but the screenplay was written by Quentin Tarantino and Roger Avery. As such, storywise, it's all Tarantino.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#38 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 16 August 2019 - 02:35 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 16 August 2019 - 12:42 PM, said:

It was directed by him, but the screenplay was written by Quentin Tarantino and Roger Avery. As such, storywise, it's all Tarantino.

Yep. Arguably Scott's work is why it's one of Tarantino's best because he dilutes some of the usual stuff.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#39 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 16 August 2019 - 03:25 PM

View PostAbyss, on 16 August 2019 - 02:35 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 16 August 2019 - 12:42 PM, said:

Yep. Arguably Scott's work is why it's one of Tarantino's best because he dilutes some of the usual stuff.

Bingo. Without QT's MANY prevalent 'Director' tics, the film is superior to anything else he made himself. You will notice, for example, a non-abundance of "dirty women's feet" in TRUE ROMANCE.

Same thing is true of his writer-but-not director contribution to FROM DUSK TIL DAWN.

#40 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 16 August 2019 - 06:34 PM

I don't think it was QT (who I refer to as the other QT, of course)'s best, but it definitely distilled many of his best qualities. And Tony Scott (whose movies sucked ass 99% of the time) really benefited from having a great screenplay, and it was his best movie for sure. Real synergy moment. You can kinda see what happens when the opposite occurs in Natural Born Killers (which I don't hate, but it definitely didn't curb QT or Oliver Stone's most exploitative or abrasive habits).

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users