• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Share hidden diamonds in the rough Good movies others might not know about

#1 User is offline   Knowing 

• Corporal
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 13 August 2019 - 06:20 AM

With online streaming services it seems like most people I talk to, especially at work, haven't seen many good ones that aren't on Amazon, Netflix, Hulu etc.

I've seen a ton of movies and it seems to be tough now to find the hidden gems or older movies I might have missed. Thought It would be good to get a thread going about movies you've seen that most seem to be unaware of. Or just missed out on or passed on thinking it was junk.
Just post the title, genre and a few enticing facts in whatever format you like to tickle someones interest. I'll go first with a couple.

Nobody I know seems to have seen...

Kelly's Heroes (1970), WWII film. Action/Comedy/Bank Heist starring Clint Eastwood, Telly Savalas, Don Rickles and many more.

The Raid (2011), Indonesian film (I preferred it with subtitles but still great dubbed) Super violent action/One man army/Guns, machete, knives/Amazing fist fight choreography IMO best action movie in quite some time
More life may trickle out of men through thought than through a gaping wound.
--Thomas Hardy

#2 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 13 August 2019 - 06:43 AM

You may know this already, but the Criterion streaming service launched a few months ago and has hella good movies, with in-depth curation/lists/expanded content/etc.. Not just Criterion releases, but licensed classics and modern greats. Police Story 1 and 2 are on it right now, for instance, with several Jackie Chan short docs, interviews, and more. If you're a fan of The Raid, you've probably seen plenty JC, but it just reminded me. Criterion Channel is well well well worth the price.

Anyway, great thread idea, and I'll add more in the way you requested when I have more time.

This post has been edited by worry: 13 August 2019 - 06:44 AM

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#3 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 13 August 2019 - 08:46 AM

Always tricky these, because one person's 'obscure' may be another person's 'blatantly obvious'. But I'll have a stab at what might be considered less mainstream by some of you (I'll try not to wither under your scoffs), due to them being non-English language films:
C'est arrive pres de chez vous / Man bites dog (or most early career films starring Benoit Poelvoorde, for that matter, the guy is a walking cult classic)
In China they eat dogs (plus the sequel: Old men in new cars)
Delicatessen
Hero
Lola Rennt
Cidade de deus (city of god)
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#4 User is offline   Knowing 

• Corporal

Posted 13 August 2019 - 09:09 AM

Gorefest that was exactly what I was hoping for from this thread.

I'm from Oregon USA but I love international movies. Lola Rennt my brother showed me on DVD as Run Lola Run was awesome! At the same time i've never seen Delicatessen, watched the trailer and it might be in my wheelhouse. Thanks for the suggestion for In China they eat dogs. Ill have to check that out.

Not to discourage others but here are my fave comedies that nobody seems to hae seen.

"The Burbes" a great cult comedy about a normal family man dealing with a satanic neighbor and goofy neighbors.
"Captain Ron" not many people care for it but some like me love it, Martin Short plays a family many chartering Kurt Russell to show his family how to sail the seas,
--Thomas Hardy

#5 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 13 August 2019 - 10:39 AM

"C'est arrive pres de chez vouz" (Man bites dog) might be difficult to find but a definite gem. It is a dark comedy shot in black and white from Belgium (i.e. all in French), in which a camera crew follows around a serial killer on his daily activities. I think it was the debut film of Benoit Poelvoorde and was made as an art school final exam project.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#6 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 13 August 2019 - 02:13 PM

TRUE ROMANCE.... now i know many here will know and possibly love this flic because we are who we are, but it is perpetually overlooked as possibly Quentin Tarantino's bestest film. It's got a solid cast, fun cameos, more respect for the audience than most Tarantino work, and it a hell of a lot of fun. The snappy dialogue is there but it isn't as 'Tarantinoesque' as elsefilm. Also, violent. Also also, Christopher Walken and Dennis Hopper in one of the single greatest scenes in modern cinema. And i would argue that at a point when Tarantino is taking a lot of flack for his treatment of women in his work, mostly deserved, this film manages to make its female lead both vulnerable and amazingly strong, with one viscerally discomforting impressive scene in mind where Patricia Arquette just annihilates a performance most actresses could not pull off.

THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#7 User is offline   Vengeance 

• High Priest of Shinrei Love and Worship
  • very good...;)

Posted 13 August 2019 - 02:40 PM

Brotherhood of the Wolf (Le Pacte des loups). One of my favs. Monica Bellucci.... Secret society's with plots against the king and wolves and martial arts... Loosely based on a real attacks.
How many fucking people do I have to hammer in order to get that across.
Hinter - Vengy - DIE. I trusted you you bastard!!!!!!!

Steven Erikson made drowning in alien cum possible - Obdigore

#8 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 13 August 2019 - 02:50 PM

I'll support LOLA RENNT (RUN LOLA RUN), as it's excellent, and I'll raise that another Tom Tykwer gem, DER KRIEGER UND DIE KAISERIN (THE PRINCESS & THE WARRIOR) which I actually liked better...it's a much richer story. It also stars Franke Potente, and a stellar soundtrack.

Another from around the same era would be GROOVE. As someone who came of age right around when underground raves were indeed a thing, this movie spoke volumes to me. Phenomenal score, great cast, and a really simple, but infinitely poetic story.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 13 August 2019 - 02:51 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#9 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 13 August 2019 - 02:50 PM

And lastly, I love me some David Twohy, but this one came out of left field when it dropped and I had to be convinced to see it because of how generic it looked...and then it ends up being AMAZING.

THE PERFECT GETAWAY

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 13 August 2019 - 02:52 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#10 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 13 August 2019 - 02:58 PM

View PostVengeance, on 13 August 2019 - 02:40 PM, said:

Brotherhood of the Wolf. One of my favs

Oh gods, yes. Just for the cinematography alone! I saw this at a film fest before it dropped wide, and I recall that opening sequence with the girl with the lamb running from the "beast" (which is only an erratic POV at that point) was so gorgeously shot, scored, and acted that I was riveted to my bloody seat.

You can see some of that in the trailer:

And then the next bit with the two in the rain and the staff fight on the hillside? Man, what an epic flick.

Oh, and so began my lifelong crush on Émilie Dequenne to boot.

#11 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 13 August 2019 - 03:15 PM

View PostAbyss, on 13 August 2019 - 02:13 PM, said:

TRUE ROMANCE....

Heh, I originally had a list of English language films in my post as well that contained True Romance, but I figured most people would know it. In that case, just a few extra suggestions:

Requiem for a dream
Boondock Saints
Gattaca
Into the wild
Pi
Big fish

I assume films like Memento, Lock stock & two smoking barrels, or the Grand Budapest hotel are a bit too obvious.

Also, i want to second the Dennis Hopper - Christopher Walken scene in True Romance as possibly the greatest monologue scene in film history. (I know there's two guys, but it is mainly Dennis Hopper dissing Sicilians and Christopher Walken getting increasingly irate). Some of the finest small scene writing Tarantino has ever done and never managed to top, despite trying very hard in numerous other films.

This post has been edited by Gorefest: 13 August 2019 - 03:19 PM

#12 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 13 August 2019 - 04:29 PM

Airheads.

It's a pretty shitty movie from start to finish, but it has some nuggets of gold you can extract if you're patient - "wrong dickhead, trick question, Lemmy is God!". I mean, Steve Buscemi is pretty much great in whatever he appears in.

Also, if for nothing else, the flick brought Reagan Youth into my radar of awareness.

#13 User is offline   Knowing 

• Corporal

Posted 13 August 2019 - 06:27 PM

Brotherhood of the Wolf was great. Perfect combo of story telling, suspicion, and really cool action. Not a spoiler but a bone sword in it is savage.

"Faster" great revenge movie with Dwayne Johnson and Billy Bob Thornton
--Thomas Hardy

#14 User is offline   Vengeance 

• High Priest of Shinrei Love and Worship
  • very good...;)

Posted 13 August 2019 - 06:38 PM

An oldie that I love is Harvey with James Stewart. Brilliantly acted of course.
How many fucking people do I have to hammer in order to get that across.
Hinter - Vengy - DIE. I trusted you you bastard!!!!!!!

Steven Erikson made drowning in alien cum possible - Obdigore

#15 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 13 August 2019 - 07:11 PM

The 13th Warrior.

I really enjoyed it, but I don't think it is very well known.

#16 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 13 August 2019 - 07:27 PM

Classics:
Sullivan's Travels - an early Hollywood satire in which a successful comedy director wants to make something with more heft, disguises himself as a hobo, and hits the road to learn about the lives of the downtrodden.

Treasure of the Sierra Madre/Key Largo/In A Lonely Place - not necessarily hidden gems, especially Sierra Madre, but I love Humphrey Bogart and they aren't quite as widely seen these days as Casablanca or The African Queen. And these are some of his very best performances.

Wages of Fear - set in South America, an American oil company hires four down on their luck men to transport nitroglycerin to the site of an emergency, under very dangerous conditions. Really tense movie.

Black Orpheus - the tale of Orpheus and Eurydice set in a Rio favela during Carnival. Beautiful, music is wonderful, and one of the most attractive screen couples in movie history.

Modern:
Attack the Block - not super obscure or anything, but one of the best sci-fi/action movies of this century. Great characters, fun action, intense thrills, impressive effects for the budget, and the characters are all really at risk. It does everything right.

Let the Right One In - Swedish, also not super obscure but worth mentioning, as it's maybe my favorite vampire movie ever. Lonely and unhappy adolescent boy makes friends with a child-in-appearance vampire -- dark and not so dark things ensue.

Duck Season - Mexican movie about a couple 14 year old boys spending a lazy Sunday together in an apartment, and all the boredome and mischief that generates. Very funny, effectively dramatic when it needs to be.

#17 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 13 August 2019 - 08:07 PM

I'll echo True Romance and Brotherhood of the Wolf

I'll add:

Frailty (early 2000s Matthew McConaughey), McConaughey's father believes their family is called by God to kill demons walking amongst us.

The Salton Sea (early 200's Val Kilmer) Druggie revenge flick

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (pre Iron Man Downey Jr) Hollywood murder mystery.

And i'm sure its not a diamond in the rough with this crowd, but "Secret of Nimh" was one of my favorite cartoons as a kid and its still good as an adult.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#18 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 13 August 2019 - 08:33 PM

Frailty rules.

#19 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 13 August 2019 - 08:45 PM

View PostAbyss, on 13 August 2019 - 02:13 PM, said:

TRUE ROMANCE.... now i know many here will know and possibly love this flic because we are who we are, but it is perpetually overlooked as possibly Quentin Tarantino's bestest film. It's got a solid cast, fun cameos, more respect for the audience than most Tarantino work, and it a hell of a lot of fun. The snappy dialogue is there but it isn't as 'Tarantinoesque' as elsefilm. Also, violent. Also also, Christopher Walken and Dennis Hopper in one of the single greatest scenes in modern cinema. And i would argue that at a point when Tarantino is taking a lot of flack for his treatment of women in his work, mostly deserved, this film manages to make its female lead both vulnerable and amazingly strong, with one viscerally discomforting impressive scene in mind where Patricia Arquette just annihilates a performance most actresses could not pull off.

If you enjoyed the film and it appears some in the thread did, these are worth a read....

https://www.maxim.co...-15-years-later

https://www.independ...t-a8526931.html

THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#20 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 13 August 2019 - 08:52 PM

TR has my favorite Gary Oldman character, and also James Gandolfini is so thoroughly intimidating.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users