• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Star Trek: Picard

#61 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 26 January 2020 - 10:14 PM

I highly enjoyed it and I will definitely watch the following episodes.
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#62 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 31 January 2020 - 05:05 AM

Star Trek medical science is pretty inconsistent. So weird to know that they rediscover surgical masks 20 years after they discover the ability to just hand wave any problem away. Yet terminal illness is still a thing?

Also I just realized they haven’t addressed it yet but what about the doctor! The best thing to come out of voyager. All those holographic AIs who fought for their rights. Sure Star fleet wouldn’t have deactivated the doctor.

#63 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 31 January 2020 - 01:53 PM

View PostCause, on 31 January 2020 - 05:05 AM, said:

Star Trek medical science is pretty inconsistent. So weird to know that they rediscover surgical masks 20 years after they discover the ability to just hand wave any problem away. Yet terminal illness is still a thing?

You have to remember that The Romulans on the Artifact (abandoned Borg Cube) are NOT the Federation, and therefore would not have the same tech. You also have to remember that they are 20 years gone from the destruction of their entire empire and way of life. They are also on a derelict alien vessel and appear to be harvesting Borg tech off old Borg's...all of this can easily add up to "Let's wear masks" and "We don't have the tech here for no-masks".

View PostCause, on 31 January 2020 - 05:05 AM, said:

Also I just realized they haven’t addressed it yet but what about the doctor! The best thing to come out of voyager. All those holographic AIs who fought for their rights. Sure Star fleet wouldn’t have deactivated the doctor.

Robert Picardo is already on record as having noted that he will be in S2, as will Guinan. I don't know what state he will be in, but he is most certainly going to show up.

Also, why is no one talking about the "Next Time on Picard" teaser that ran after the episode??? There is a brief shot of the MOTHER-FZUCKIN-BORG-QUEEN (Alice Krige) who has not been seen since FIRST CONTACT!!!!! Edit: May NOT be her....looks like her....but may not be.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 31 January 2020 - 02:27 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#64 User is offline   Blend 

• Gentleman of High House Mafia
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 31 January 2020 - 06:35 PM

:apt:

This show is amazing so far. Having to wait a whole week between episodes is truly torture!!
There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail - should we fall - we will know that we have lived. ~ Anomander Rake
My sig comes from a game in which I didn't heed Blend's advice. So maybe this time I should. ~ Khellendros
I'm just going to have to come to terms with the fact that self-vote suiciding will forever be referred to as "pulling a JPK" now, aren't I? ~ JPK

#65 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 31 January 2020 - 06:47 PM

View PostBlend, on 31 January 2020 - 06:35 PM, said:

:apt:

This show is amazing so far. Having to wait a whole week between episodes is truly torture!!

It really is! I love Thursdays now, but the wait is agonizing!
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#66 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 31 January 2020 - 07:20 PM

The first episode is up on YouTube.

https://www.youtube....err_watch_on_yt

#67 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 01 February 2020 - 03:20 AM

View PostExcrementEncephalon, on 01 February 2020 - 02:28 AM, said:

Was kinda heartbroken that
Spoiler

Yet.

I think it’s heading to him being not as dead as we think. Season finale maybe?

#68 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 01 February 2020 - 08:52 AM

The episodes become available on Fridays in the UK, the same as Star Trek: Discovery. This has given me perfect recourse to resurrect Pizza and Trek Fridays. I'm so happy!

So, episode 2!

I think it was every bit as interesting as the opener. It's clearly still doing some heavy lifting in terms of set up but it's interesting and the cast are a joy to watch work together.

Also
Spoiler

- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#69 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 01 February 2020 - 11:41 AM

Just watched, loved the opening poker scene.

Good show, in for the season

#70 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 02 February 2020 - 02:54 AM

Spoiler

I really have no memory of this episode or why they would end the show that way.

#71 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 02 February 2020 - 08:29 PM

View PostCause, on 02 February 2020 - 02:54 AM, said:

Spoiler

I really have no memory of this episode or why they would end the show that way.

Sort of half remember that now you've said it actually. Cheers!
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#72 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 03 February 2020 - 03:53 PM

To add to the "it has a reference on TNG" stuff....in S4 on Episode 3 (BROTHERS), Data basically aborts an emergency mission and hijacks the Enterprise in response to a homing command from his "father" sent via Subspace.

So if Data (and Lore it turns out) would be so compromised by a command structure item in their brains that they father put there, then F8 and the other Synths going rogue on PICARD could be anyone involved in the building of them...

#73 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 03 February 2020 - 04:57 PM

View PostMacros, on 01 February 2020 - 11:41 AM, said:

Just watched, loved the opening poker scene.

Good show, in for the season

Same same.

Nice to watch an sf show and not feel like it was 'good for a premiere' or just 'good enough to watch a few more eps to see if it gets better'.
This was genuinely just great tv.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#74 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 03 February 2020 - 05:22 PM

The SF part is just dressing on a solid story and performance so far (for me, never been much of a Trek fan, so canon means little or nothing to me on this)

I guess that had to be part of the sell, a solid story that a newbie or at best casual fan could get into, but with solid links to the canon and stuff that's gone before. It's well done, there's plenty of stuff I KNOW is linked to and / or references older Trek, and I don't get the full implications of it, but it doesn't feel like it's detracting from my viewing. It's like it's there for the fans to enjoy on top of the show, but not essential

#75 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 03 February 2020 - 05:27 PM

And yet i wonder how much someone with zero Trek background would enjoy it.

Not knowing a thing about Picard, Data, Romulans... it's downto noble old dude acting noble and teen girl in distress doing cool wrestling moves on evil space ninja....

...ok, fine, yah, that should be enough.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#76 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 03 February 2020 - 05:40 PM

Blegh,

Third time trying to post. Bad signal here

Short version:

I only recognise Data and Picard as characters, I know Data is a robot and Romulans, Klingons and Borg are bad guys.

I've probably only watched like a dozen EPs of any trek, and the three pine films. I managed fine I think

#77 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 04 February 2020 - 07:55 AM

View PostMacros, on 03 February 2020 - 05:40 PM, said:

Blegh,

Short version:

I only recognise Data and Picard as characters, I know Data is a robot and Romulans, Klingons and Borg are bad guys.

I've probably only watched like a dozen EPs of any trek, and the three pine films. I managed fine I think

Like Matt, I have barely seen any Star Trek, other than the new Abrams movies that is. Still, I have absorbed enough of the pop culture to get the majority of the references (I think).
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#78 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 04 February 2020 - 02:03 PM

View PostMorgoth, on 04 February 2020 - 07:55 AM, said:

View PostMacros, on 03 February 2020 - 05:40 PM, said:

Blegh,

Short version:

Like Matt, I have barely seen any Star Trek, other than the new Abrams movies that is. Still, I have absorbed enough of the pop culture to get the majority of the references (I think).

Indeed. The wife is the same. Minimal Star Trek knowledge, but PICARD drops enough on you to get the gist if you're a newbie. I love a quality show that does that. The insider baseball stuff is all Easter eggs, the important plot stuff gets explained.

#79 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 04 February 2020 - 08:11 PM

I think the fact the story stands on its own feet to the point people not familiar with the preceding canon can still follow and enjoy it has to be one of the major praiseworthy things. You shouldn't ever be only making new stuff for diehards.
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#80 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 04 February 2020 - 08:26 PM

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 04 February 2020 - 08:11 PM, said:

You shouldn't ever be only making new stuff for diehards.

This needs to be signposted throughout Hollywood. Like they need a billboard for suits at big studios.

Share this topic:

• 11 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users