• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Star Trek: Picard

#101 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 14 February 2020 - 05:59 PM

I wonder how holograms are not considered synthetic life.

But vain to model them all in yourself but it’s amusing. Given how successful the emh was it does make sense to populate the whole ship with them as crew

#102 User is offline   Serenity 

• Saki!!!!!

Posted 14 February 2020 - 07:39 PM

Spoiler

Made me laugh :lol:

What I want to know is, is Rios the first QPR fan ever to captain a starship? :lol:

#103 User is offline   Lady Bliss 

• Shameless Minister of Silly Catwalks of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 16 February 2020 - 03:49 AM

Wow. I just binge watched the first 4 episodes and that is this is the best show I’ve seen in a long time. I am so hooked.
"If you prick us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? And if you wrong us shall we not revenge?" - Shylock

#104 User is offline   Serenity 

• Saki!!!!!

Posted 22 February 2020 - 03:32 PM

Ep 5 was my favourite yet. Some nice development for Rios, Raffi and Aggie.

Spoiler

Rios is fast becoming my favourite character, especially the scene where

Spoiler

:lol:

#105 User is offline   Serenity 

• Saki!!!!!

Posted 22 February 2020 - 03:43 PM

#106 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 24 February 2020 - 11:27 PM

Not such a fan of this episode. Bit exposition heavy. I feel bad for the borg kid. Was that the originals actor? Imagine being called up for that!

Also Picard doing that weird French accent!

#107 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 25 February 2020 - 07:36 AM

View PostCause, on 24 February 2020 - 11:27 PM, said:

Not such a fan of this episode. Bit exposition heavy. I feel bad for the borg kid. Was that the originals actor? Imagine being called up for that!

Also Picard doing that weird French accent!

Same.

I plan to give it a watch again - I wasn't feeling that great on Friday and I tend to sit down to Trek to chill out, so that opening with the Borg kid was a bit much! Thought Jerri Ryan in particular played it all superbly but just not my bag as an episode overall.

Spoiler

- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#108 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 25 February 2020 - 08:04 AM

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 25 February 2020 - 07:36 AM, said:

Spoiler

The thought did occur to me.

Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#109 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 25 February 2020 - 09:46 AM

Also - not that I'm suggesting people shouldn't say when they don't like something - but it's always nice to come and discuss Trek here with a bunch of people who are positive about it.

Trek FB groups are just hellish. Everyone hates everything that isn't TOS, the show runners are the devil etc. I've been half waiting for another echo chamber attempt on SE's page about how he knows much better than anyone else how to write Trek...

This post has been edited by TheRetiredBridgeburner: 25 February 2020 - 09:46 AM

- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#110 User is offline   Serenity 

• Saki!!!!!

Posted 25 February 2020 - 11:04 AM

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 25 February 2020 - 09:46 AM, said:

Also - not that I'm suggesting people shouldn't say when they don't like something - but it's always nice to come and discuss Trek here with a bunch of people who are positive about it.

Trek FB groups are just hellish. Everyone hates everything that isn't TOS, the show runners are the devil etc. I've been half waiting for another echo chamber attempt on SE's page about how he knows much better than anyone else how to write Trek...

It's the same on the SF forum I'm on - lots of dislike for the show in general.

Shame you guys didn't like this episode so much, I loved it. Picard's French accent made me laugh. It reminded me of the sort of scam Kirk would've tried to pull off - before getting into a fight and getting his shirt ripped :lol:

#111 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 25 February 2020 - 11:06 AM

I liked the OTT French accent too! I do intend to give ep 5 another go though, possibly tonight. I do think my mood didn't do it any favours on first viewing :)
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#112 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus

Posted 25 February 2020 - 03:17 PM

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 25 February 2020 - 09:46 AM, said:

It's not even as if TOS is especially good, like at all.

#113 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 25 February 2020 - 05:42 PM

I enjoyed it. The whole heist/scam thing defied credulity but i try not to overthink any show that features a character named Vygazzle. And the combo of Rios' pimp outfit with Picard's eyepatch and accent was priceless.

7of9 was great to see again and i hope they make her a regular eventually. The storyline with Ischeb was DARK. The Fenris Rangers c-plot is interesting,,,, LOTS of potential to bring back Trek characters there. Could have an entire coterie of Voyager and DS9 alumni show up.

Agnes as an early model android... interesting theory i hadn't thought of.... plausible, heavily ironic too given how that played out w Maddox.

Really the only thing bugging me right now is Soji and Narek's relationship. Am not finding either of them particularly good characters or performances, and this whole 'Destroyer' thing has an underlying 'chosen one' magic vibe that is rarely my favorite part of Trek.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#114 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 28 February 2020 - 04:26 PM

Episode 6 - all of the yes!
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#115 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 29 February 2020 - 02:40 AM

Am I picking up weird sexual tension between the romulan brother and sister? Why do shows keep doing this.

Looks like the next episode will be a good one. Though I felt like this episode especially with lnor forced some tension that otherwise didn’t make sense

#116 User is offline   Serenity 

• Saki!!!!!

Posted 29 February 2020 - 10:56 AM

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 28 February 2020 - 04:26 PM, said:

Episode 6 - all of the yes!

Yeah, great episode. 10 or 15 minutes longer than usual and yet it seemed to go by faster than usual.

Spoiler

ETA: Also, loved

Spoiler

This post has been edited by Serenity: 29 February 2020 - 02:37 PM

#117 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 01 March 2020 - 05:08 AM

Spoiler

#118 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus

Posted 01 March 2020 - 09:41 AM

So, across the internet I'm seeing a lot of complaints about ST: Picard. Let's face it, a lot of whining and moaning.

Some of it, I'll grant, is somewhat legitimate (I would say understandable, but I feel that's the wrong phrase). Like, how is Picard paying Rios when in First Contact he explicitly said the federation had moved beyond the acquisition of wealth, presuming they'd moved beyond things like money.

Okay, my thinking is that Picard has a bunch of gold-pressed Latinum stashed away somewhere, or maybe it's something like STO's Energy credits used to power the replicator tech. I don't know, and I've also wondered about it myself. But it also kind of seem like a minor thing.

Okay, so, I'll be moving into actual spoiler territory here, so I guess I'll use the spoiler thingie.

Spoiler

Okay, so, here's my thinking about why Jean-Luc Picard seems like he maybe lost faith in Starfleet and the Federation. It was certainly spurred by their refusal to help a people in need. But I think it might have been deeper than that. So, while the shows have always had different viewpoints, the main pov characters have always been the Captains. Kirk, Picard, Sisko, Janeway, Archer.
So, the portrayal of the Federation and Starfleet has been through their eyes and their beliefs.

Picard was always shown as a strong-willed Captain, the great man, the diplomat, the natural leader. And people followed. We know he was the big man of Starfleet, so a lot of Starfleet followed as well. His crew certainly did.

ST: Picard shows that Starfleet isn't perfect, and that it might not ever have been so, but we've only have been led to believe so because Picard thought Starfleet was better than it actually was. Which leads me to conclude that while Picard did lose faith in Starfleet, it was more that he realized his own perception of Starfleet, and by extension the Federation, was deeply flawed. He simply expected too much of an organization that really never had more to give.

So anyway, why are a lot of fans whining and moaning? Well, lots of reasons, but I think Ultron in Avengers: Age of Ultron can sum it up pretty nicely. And I'm paraphrasing here to make it fit just a tiny bit better; You want to save Star Trek, but you don't want it to change.

It changed, and people are pissed.

#119 User is offline   Serenity 

• Saki!!!!!

Posted 01 March 2020 - 10:28 AM

View PostCause, on 01 March 2020 - 05:08 AM, said:

Spoiler

Yeah, all good points. That sequence did have elements of the Doctor Who 'Let's run around and shout a lot' daftness.

#120 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 03 March 2020 - 04:33 PM

Enjoyed ep6.

I'm fairly sure he will survive and pop up again later somehow

Share this topic:

• 11 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic