Malazan Empire: Ye Big Politics Thread - Malazan Empire

• 25 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big Politics Thread A thread for all things political that may not warrent its own thread

#121 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 24 April 2022 - 05:23 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 24 April 2022 - 05:02 PM, said:

Hey, sup? Also, what's up in France? How are things predicted to go down today?

Macron will probably win... early reports of relatively low turnout seemed concerning, but it's now looking like turnout won't be low.

He's a bit like Bill Clinton (lurching the center left to the right), but with Hillary's likability (if Hillary were better looking and more charismatic, but meaner and more condescending)... and triangulating with the 'culture war' far right.

'No French president has been the object of such intense dislike among significant segments of the population as [...] Macron — [...] his image as an elitist out of touch with the ordinary French people whose pensions and work protections he has threatened in his efforts to make the economy more investor-friendly.

Even Macron enthusiasts wince at what have become known as his "little phrases": dismissive remarks to voters who bemoan their circumstances, or sometimes about less successful people in general.

"Like when he told someone, 'You're searching for a job? Just cross the street and you'll find one,'" [...]

Just how deep that loathing runs will be a critical factor — perhaps even the decisive one[...]

[...] given the choice between a president they find disdainful and a far-right candidate they find detestable, many French voters may just stay home, or even vote for Ms. Le Pen, tipping the scales in a close election.

[...] he little phrases had been "catastrophic" in forging Mr. Macron's image[...]

[...] "It's about the relationship between a disdainful elite and a society that is disdained,"'

Live Updates: Voting Underway as France Chooses Between Macron and Le Pen - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

Marine Le Pen Would Destroy French Democracy (jacobinmag.com)

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 24 April 2022 - 05:23 PM

#122 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 24 April 2022 - 06:40 PM

He has it won, but only 58%

I would say scary plus for the far right on their gains, but don't know the actual numbers of ballots submitted, a lot of people not arsed voting from what I can gather

#123 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 24 April 2022 - 07:12 PM

View PostMacros, on 24 April 2022 - 06:40 PM, said:

He has it won, but only 58%

I would say scary plus for the far right on their gains, but don't know the actual numbers of ballots submitted, a lot of people not arsed voting from what I can gather

I mean, Le Pen had been inching closer every time they've had an election, first the dad and layer the daughter. There is a lot of anti-Muslim sentiment in France (you could argue that the committee secularisation of the country might have something to do with that but I doubt Christians are getting as much hate).

The right wing has always been quick to capitalise on populist hate rhetoric and I worry that Macron, who lets face it is not as exciting or progressive as he may have seemed at one point, is not going to be able to hold off le Pen or whoever steps into her shoes should she not continue...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#124 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 29 April 2022 - 06:33 PM

Macron won't get a 3rd term, so he'll need a charismatic successor

Le Pen wants to convert her popularity into a parliamentary win. Let's see how that goes...
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#125 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 28 May 2022 - 12:27 AM

* "All night partying, with karaoke."

- What do you think de peefle's go to was? My guess is I want it All by Queen.

* "Drunken staff getting sick and fighting with each other."

* "Downing street walls stained with red wine."

* "Disrespect towards security and cleaning staff."

* "We seemed to have gotten away with it."

#126 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 28 May 2022 - 08:02 AM

Just another show of fuck you all we don't care, good to see them following party lines (of coke I would assume)

#127 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 30 May 2022 - 04:20 AM

How much longer does duh-peefill hang on?

https://twitter.com/...121406742151168

#128 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 07 July 2022 - 12:18 AM

It's close now, yeah? Buh-bye Boris time?

I like when they have coverage on the news here in America, and they show them gathered in the chamber and they do that grumbling thing to express their displeasure. I always found that to be quintessentially British. It reminds me of: *loudly-clears-throat* "I said good day sir!"

#129 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 07 July 2022 - 09:54 AM

BoJo gonna GoGo?

https://www.news.com...c1e1db0c501eed7

"Boris Johnson to resign as UK Prime Minister
The embattled Conservative leader has finally called it quits after a series of scandals plagued his premiership.

Boris Johnson is set to resign as Prime Minister of the UK.

The embattled Conservative leader has finally called it quits after a series of scandals plagued his premiership, from illegal parties to handing a plum job to a colleague he knew was under investigation for sexual misconduct.

Mr Johnson is expected to formally announce his resignation on Thursday morning (Thursday night AEST)."

----------------------------

Seriously though, who didn't think it would end like this when he was first circling the sinking May? I don't care if his blood is almost as blue as the Windsors' - which shouldn't be any sort of qualification for high office, FFS - he's a fucking buffoon. He was an amusing buffoon for a while, then he was just a buffoon. Did he achieve anything worthwhile in office?

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 07 July 2022 - 09:56 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#130 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 07 July 2022 - 11:57 AM

Yeah he's resigning but he's not really, at least until Autumn. Also the utter bunch of cretins in his government do not inspire the slightest bit of confidence...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#131 User is offline   Lady Bliss 

• Shameless Minister of Silly Catwalks of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 07 July 2022 - 01:35 PM

I’m having the same problem with American politics. I don’t think Biden could ever really succeed given world problems right now, but he’s not very inspiring or likable. I’ve been racking my brains for a decent dem candidate for 2024, but am really drawing a blank. Michelle Obama is the best that I can think of, but no way would she do it. Gavin Newsom is ok, but I can’t quite see him getting elected. The republicans otoh could rally around Trump or Desantis.
Right now it seems like US, UK, and France are fucked, and China is about to do something terrible.

This post has been edited by Lady Bliss: 07 July 2022 - 01:35 PM

"If you prick us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? And if you wrong us shall we not revenge?" - Shylock

#132 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 07 July 2022 - 01:50 PM

Newsom doesn't have a chance nationally. It would take someone like Pritzker or Fetterman to get the country slightly excited (and Fetterman has yet to win the Senate race).

I think the Democrats need to move away from the Nancy Pelosi poetry as protest model or the Schumer "try to get a purple Democrat to run" model towards Democrats who get stuff done in office, even if it's as "low" as lieutenant governor or Congressional representative.

They're getting beat up because people think the collective does very little. There's some truth to that, even if on the whole it's not true. Changing that perception by building track records of action is way more important than current leadership thinks.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#133 User is offline   Lady Bliss 

Posted 07 July 2022 - 02:11 PM

View Postamphibian, on 07 July 2022 - 01:50 PM, said:

Newsom doesn't have a chance nationally. It would take someone like Pritzker or Fetterman to get the country slightly excited (and Fetterman has yet to win the Senate race).

I think the Democrats need to move away from the Nancy Pelosi poetry as protest model or the Schumer "try to get a purple Democrat to run" model towards Democrats who get stuff done in office, even if it's as "low" as lieutenant governor or Congressional representative.

They're getting beat up because people think the collective does very little. There's some truth to that, even if on the whole it's not true. Changing that perception by building track records of action is way more important than current leadership thinks.

I guess that is the best strategy, but it frightens me to think of conservatives in control. I have a 10 year old daughter that at this point thinks she might identify as bisexual ffs! I just can’t get why the world seems to be leaning conservative after we fought for so many rights. At this point I feel like all Gen X can claim as an accomplishment is the destigmatizing blue hair. Everything else seems to be in jeopardy.
"If you prick us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? And if you wrong us shall we not revenge?" - Shylock

#134 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 07 July 2022 - 04:17 PM

Spit-ballin' some ideas here. More for entertainment value than any serious direction the country should take - A Sinema-Manchin ticket vs Cheney-Kinzinger ticket. That would be a hoot and a holler.

#135 User is offline   Lady Bliss 

Posted 07 July 2022 - 04:22 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 07 July 2022 - 04:17 PM, said:

Spit-ballin' some ideas here. More for entertainment value than any serious direction the country should take - A Sinema-Manchin ticket vs Cheney-Kinzinger ticket. That would be a hoot and a holler.

Ouch. Let’s just ask for a Kardashian/Musk ticket.

#136 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 07 July 2022 - 06:01 PM

I'm hoping the likes of AOC and crew become more prominent and start taking ground within the Dems and getting seats in elections etc.

Won't happen of course, ethnic minority and female, already massively targeted... She'd be assassinated (literally or figuratively, take your pick)
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#137 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 07 July 2022 - 06:09 PM

Fetterman is almost entirely left wing to the point of being a near radical, yet he's super popular in Pennsylvania because he gets stuff done, has campaigned on multiple levels statewide successfully, and lives like a normal person.

I think he, AOC, Oman, Tlaib, and especially Katie Porter are who can bring the Democrats more wins if empowered, but that's a power struggle with current leadership who have very different visions of just about everything.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#138 User is offline   Lady Bliss 

Posted 07 July 2022 - 07:53 PM

View Postamphibian, on 07 July 2022 - 06:09 PM, said:

Fetterman is almost entirely left wing to the point of being a near radical, yet he's super popular in Pennsylvania because he gets stuff done, has campaigned on multiple levels statewide successfully, and lives like a normal person.

I think he, AOC, Oman, Tlaib, and especially Katie Porter are who can bring the Democrats more wins if empowered, but that's a power struggle with current leadership who have very different visions of just about everything.

What we need is to get all of the old white men out of politics so that they are no longer governing those of us that will have to live with their decisions.

#139 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 08 July 2022 - 05:09 AM

Bloody hell, former Japanese PM Shinzo Abe shot while giving a speech. Seems as if there is derangement everywhere. I know he had to step down due to gastrointestinal health issues a few years ago. Didn't know a lot about him. He certaitly didn't seem controversial or anything.

#140 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 12 July 2022 - 11:11 AM

View PostMalankazooie, on 08 July 2022 - 05:09 AM, said:

Bloody hell, former Japanese PM Shinzo Abe shot while giving a speech. Seems as if there is derangement everywhere. I know he had to step down due to gastrointestinal health issues a few years ago. Didn't know a lot about him. He certaitly didn't seem controversial or anything.

I have heard from some folk inside Japan that he had some disturbing views tied into the 'have sex for Shinzo' memes you may see about, including and not limited to right wing nationalism. I can't say further on that point and would defer to people with better than second hand knowledge from tankies, though. Certainly no way to go, though.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

Share this topic:

• 25 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users