Malazan Empire: Ye Big Politics Thread - Malazan Empire

Jump to content

  • 26 Pages +
  • « First
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big Politics Thread A thread for all things political that may not warrent its own thread

#101 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

  • Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Posts: 11,989
  • Joined: 08-October 04
  • Location:T'North

Posted 08 December 2021 - 08:22 PM

I like the sound of him tbh. Think he'll be good.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.
0

#102 User is offline   Macros 

  • D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Posts: 8,848
  • Joined: 28-January 08
  • Location:Ulster, disputed zone, British Empire.

Posted 18 January 2022 - 11:30 AM

Seems we now have our very own fox news, complete with daily national anthems to stir the heart.
GB News, what a channel!
0

#103 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

  • Part Time Catgirl
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Posts: 4,215
  • Joined: 11-November 14
  • Location:Lether, apparently...
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 18 January 2022 - 12:54 PM

View PostMacros, on 18 January 2022 - 11:30 AM, said:

Seems we now have our very own fox news, complete with daily national anthems to stir the heart.
GB News, what a channel!


Their viewers are just as wack as Fox viewers and all.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle
0

#104 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

  • Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police
  • Posts: 2,670
  • Joined: 03-September 04

Posted 02 February 2022 - 09:30 PM

How the hell is Boris Johnson hanging on?

Oh silly me, it's because the Tories have no moral fibre.

I'm cross enough that I am mentally rage crafting a letter to my Tory MP thanking him for convincing me to vote tactically at the next GE to get him out. I'll craft it in reality if I get time.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed
0

#105 User is offline   Macros 

  • D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Posts: 8,848
  • Joined: 28-January 08
  • Location:Ulster, disputed zone, British Empire.

Posted 03 February 2022 - 07:33 AM

The depressing part is, people will vote these bastards back in again next time
0

#106 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

  • Part Time Catgirl
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Posts: 4,215
  • Joined: 11-November 14
  • Location:Lether, apparently...
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 03 February 2022 - 08:49 AM

Doesn't help that there's no opposition worth the name. Choose between Overt Bastard and Claims Not To Be a Bastard But Is!
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle
0

#107 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

  • Part Time Catgirl
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Posts: 4,215
  • Joined: 11-November 14
  • Location:Lether, apparently...
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 02 March 2022 - 08:45 AM

The Tories: ohmigawd the Russian commons protesting against Putin's war are stunning and brave, we must show them our support

Also the Tories: So let's force through that bill which will mean British people lose their right to peaceful protest entirely, protests are troublesome and we don't like them



Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle
1

#108 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

  • Part Time Catgirl
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Posts: 4,215
  • Joined: 11-November 14
  • Location:Lether, apparently...
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 18 March 2022 - 08:35 AM

Cost of living is starting to spike pretty hard. I don't buy that the situation in Ukraine is responsible for petrol prices rising - there was that bogus 'shortage' last year that prices never decreased from so this smells of convenient profiteering, especially as to my understanding we only have 8% of our oil imported from Russia etc.

Notable that countries in the EU have apparently forcibly capped their providers' price increases at 4% where we are set to see an extra 50% on normal added to our bills - for context our gas and electric next year is set to rise by £500 for the year. And of course, wages don't change, so despite absolutely slogging my hardest in law for nearly ten years, I'm still paid like shit and now get that delightful choice come next winter of do I eat, do I stay warm, or do I go anywhere?

The situation with P&O is also a worry given that a large concern over Brekshit was workers' rights being shat on, and it looks like that situation is the first big indication of what's to come. Very, very difficult not to feel complete despair right now with how things are in Britain. A lot of families local to me are already in poverty and this will ruin them utterly.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle
0

#109 User is offline   Nicodimas 

  • Soletaken
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Posts: 2,069
  • Joined: 28-August 07
  • Location:Valley of the Sun
  • https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XbGs_qK2PQA

Posted 22 March 2022 - 02:28 AM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 18 March 2022 - 08:35 AM, said:

Cost of living is starting to spike pretty hard. I don't buy that the situation in Ukraine is responsible for petrol prices rising - there was that bogus 'shortage' last year that prices never decreased from so this smells of convenient profiteering, especially as to my understanding we only have 8% of our oil imported from Russia etc.

Notable that countries in the EU have apparently forcibly capped their providers' price increases at 4% where we are set to see an extra 50% on normal added to our bills - for context our gas and electric next year is set to rise by £500 for the year. And of course, wages don't change, so despite absolutely slogging my hardest in law for nearly ten years, I'm still paid like shit and now get that delightful choice come next winter of do I eat, do I stay warm, or do I go anywhere?

The situation with P&O is also a worry given that a large concern over Brekshit was workers' rights being shat on, and it looks like that situation is the first big indication of what's to come. Very, very difficult not to feel complete despair right now with how things are in Britain. A lot of families local to me are already in poverty and this will ruin them utterly.


People aren’t discussing the Grand Solar minimum in earnest, they usually like to blame it on “climate change”. Now we have billions of folks and a wheat shortage.. 27% less y/o/y..then you compound 25% less of the overall supply of wheat caused by Russia and Ukraine. Then multiply that by 70% less of chemicals that Russia makes that create our fertilizers. Graph provided for year over year food inflation. It’s rough.

Like China already went ahead and bought/invested foodstuff next season due to the forecasting. Though food security will always be big concern for those two billion plus population countries. Hungry folks tend to revolt.

America’s going from 30–50–> trillion debt and up and up we go .. which at the current phase looks like double digit yearly inflation .. unless they go to equivalent level of interest rate. That’s going to have worldwide consequences either way you spin it.

Russia walked away from the West to explore how BRICS comes out as economic union.
-If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone
0

#110 User is offline   Nicodimas 

  • Soletaken
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Posts: 2,069
  • Joined: 28-August 07
  • Location:Valley of the Sun
  • https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XbGs_qK2PQA

Posted 22 March 2022 - 02:30 AM

Right row represents food inflation y/o/y

I know the place I go to went from $6 —>12 for chicken and rice and the portion got smaller too. The owner did say he can not longer buy plastic bowls as they are back ordered months. So he had to switch to these square small plates. I believe him too.

( I doubled my garden this year.. year 4 for corn)

Attached File(s)


This post has been edited by Nicodimas: 22 March 2022 - 02:32 AM

-If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone
0

#111 User is offline   QuickTidal 

  • Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Posts: 21,339
  • Joined: 05-November 05
  • Location:Nowhere Specific
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 22 March 2022 - 12:21 PM

View PostNicodimas, on 22 March 2022 - 02:28 AM, said:

People aren’t discussing the Grand Solar minimum in earnest, they usually like to blame it on “climate change”.


That's because these aren't the same things at all, and you trying to conflate them is idiotic and unscientific.

View PostNicodimas, on 22 March 2022 - 02:28 AM, said:

Now we have billions of folks and a wheat shortage.. 27% less y/o/y..then you compound 25% less of the overall supply of wheat caused by Russia and Ukraine. Then multiply that by 70% less of chemicals that Russia makes that create our fertilizers. Graph provided for year over year food inflation. It’s rough.

Like China already went ahead and bought/invested foodstuff next season due to the forecasting. Though food security will always be big concern for those two billion plus population countries.


Wars always cause economic struggle. This is not new.

View PostNicodimas, on 22 March 2022 - 02:28 AM, said:

Hungry folks tend to revolt.


If your country didn't revolt when someone killed a bunch of kids at a school on the east coast, or when the Senate declared Trump an untouchable King....they won't revolt over food. Hell, the drinking water in some states is abysmal and no one is revolting. The only people who even tried to revolt, did so when their King lost the election and they didn't like it.

You live in a country of wealth hoarders who could feed and house EVERYONE, if they were taxed correctly and social programs weren't constantly nixed. But no, let's let the 1% hoard all the money while people starve and then blame the economic war sanctions for that starvation instead.

View PostNicodimas, on 22 March 2022 - 02:28 AM, said:

America’s going from 30–50–> trillion debt and up and up we go .. which at the current phase looks like double digit yearly inflation .. unless they go to equivalent level of interest rate. That’s going to have worldwide consequences either way you spin it.


Nah, the world will be fine. Everyone has been slowly disconnecting from you over the last few years economically.

View PostNicodimas, on 22 March 2022 - 02:28 AM, said:

Russia walked away from the West to explore how BRICS comes out as economic union.


Snort. The idea that Brazil, Russia, India, China, and South Africa will somehow be the saviours of the global economy is fucking LAUGHABLE.

And no, I won't reply to your PMs...you want to reply to me, do so here.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon
0

#112 User is offline   Gwynn ap Nudd 

  • High Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Posts: 468
  • Joined: 17-February 08

Posted 23 March 2022 - 01:44 AM

View PostNicodimas, on 22 March 2022 - 02:28 AM, said:

America’s going from 30–50–> trillion debt and up and up we go .. which at the current phase looks like double digit yearly inflation .. unless they go to equivalent level of interest rate. That’s going to have worldwide consequences either way you spin it.


The yield rate on long term US government bonds is below the rate of inflation (and has been for years). The US government is effectively being paid to borrow money.

The level of inflation is not tied to the level of government debt, in either dollar values or percent of GDP. Current levels of inflation are not baked into the economy long term yet, and it is easily feasible that inflation lowers without high interest rates. Some food and energy prices may still be high, but many of the other spikes are likely to level off (used cars for example).

This post has been edited by Gwynn ap Nudd: 23 March 2022 - 01:48 AM

0

#113 User is offline   Nicodimas 

  • Soletaken
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Posts: 2,069
  • Joined: 28-August 07
  • Location:Valley of the Sun
  • https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XbGs_qK2PQA

Posted 23 March 2022 - 03:03 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 22 March 2022 - 12:21 PM, said:

View PostNicodimas, on 22 March 2022 - 02:28 AM, said:

People aren’t discussing the Grand Solar minimum in earnest, they usually like to blame it on “climate change”.


That's because these aren't the same things at all, and you trying to conflate them is idiotic and unscientific.

View PostNicodimas, on 22 March 2022 - 02:28 AM, said:

Now we have billions of folks and a wheat shortage.. 27% less y/o/y..then you compound 25% less of the overall supply of wheat caused by Russia and Ukraine. Then multiply that by 70% less of chemicals that Russia makes that create our fertilizers. Graph provided for year over year food inflation. It’s rough.

Like China already went ahead and bought/invested foodstuff next season due to the forecasting. Though food security will always be big concern for those two billion plus population countries.


Wars always cause economic struggle. This is not new.

View PostNicodimas, on 22 March 2022 - 02:28 AM, said:

Hungry folks tend to revolt.


If your country didn't revolt when someone killed a bunch of kids at a school on the east coast, or when the Senate declared Trump an untouchable King....they won't revolt over food. Hell, the drinking water in some states is abysmal and no one is revolting. The only people who even tried to revolt, did so when their King lost the election and they didn't like it.

You live in a country of wealth hoarders who could feed and house EVERYONE, if they were taxed correctly and social programs weren't constantly nixed. But no, let's let the 1% hoard all the money while people starve and then blame the economic war sanctions for that starvation instead.

View PostNicodimas, on 22 March 2022 - 02:28 AM, said:

America’s going from 30–50–> trillion debt and up and up we go .. which at the current phase looks like double digit yearly inflation .. unless they go to equivalent level of interest rate. That’s going to have worldwide consequences either way you spin it.


Nah, the world will be fine. Everyone has been slowly disconnecting from you over the last few years economically.

View PostNicodimas, on 22 March 2022 - 02:28 AM, said:

Russia walked away from the West to explore how BRICS comes out as economic union.


Snort. The idea that Brazil, Russia, India, China, and South Africa will somehow be the saviours of the global economy is fucking LAUGHABLE.

And no, I won't reply to your PMs...you want to reply to me, do so here.


Woah calm down there cowboy. I was trying to be polite about my reply to get the point across plainly. You can’t defeat the physics of power generation and cost to the consumer. Think about the sheer enormity of changing the grid to 100 million we will say. Then changing the BTUs of gas generation to the electrical grid. That does make sense. Just ponder it. Now read about how much and where this stuff is sourced/bought from. If we wanted to discuss this logically we have to assume it all has to be made. It’s hard to make this stuff to due very green laws on the books. How many power plants and what type. How many power lines go about to support this new massive grid. It’s funny we could do it, but then we just get in the way of ourselves.

BRICS is the system that they are working with to benefit those countries themselves. We are watching this rise right now. It doesn’t care about the world just helps preserve those countries trading together.

Um the grand solar mininium is a very scientific thing. Read up on it, the sun is a giant ball of fusion.

Slowly disconnect from the US. If the umbrella of protection the US provided just ceased it would be a different world really quick. I actually have no clue what your trying to infer here as the world rely on good trade too. We live in a LEAN mba driven world where interconnectedness makes everyone stronger.

I have no idea when Trump became king. That’s rather a strange comment considering he was basically attacked at all fronts media/politicians. Though I do agree executive orders have gotten super powerful.

Snap food programs to my knowledge provides every person willing 2k calories or in excess. America is a breadbasket nation. There are other society wide problems if we wanted to talk about that. Housing is largely a problem brought on my government housing policies. Did you know per Maher recently pointed on in California it costs in excess of 800k to house a homeless person. As he put it that’s comes from the Democratic Party. Politics play quite a issue in the cost of housing. We are way above 2008 prices due to the policies of the government wanting high housing prices to increase its tax revenue. I don’t see how this helped the common man at all.

Anyhow happy to chat ! Interesting stuff

This post has been edited by Nicodimas: 23 March 2022 - 03:19 AM

-If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone
0

#114 User is offline   Nicodimas 

  • Soletaken
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Posts: 2,069
  • Joined: 28-August 07
  • Location:Valley of the Sun
  • https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XbGs_qK2PQA

Posted 23 March 2022 - 03:35 AM

View PostGwynn ap Nudd, on 23 March 2022 - 01:44 AM, said:

View PostNicodimas, on 22 March 2022 - 02:28 AM, said:

America’s going from 30–50–> trillion debt and up and up we go .. which at the current phase looks like double digit yearly inflation .. unless they go to equivalent level of interest rate. That’s going to have worldwide consequences either way you spin it.


The yield rate on long term US government bonds is below the rate of inflation (and has been for years). The US government is effectively being paid to borrow money.

The level of inflation is not tied to the level of government debt, in either dollar values or percent of GDP. Current levels of inflation are not baked into the economy long term yet, and it is easily feasible that inflation lowers without high interest rates. Some food and energy prices may still be high, but many of the other spikes are likely to level off (used cars for example).


This is interesting way of looking at it. I think I look at it more like this:

As I always look at government spending as it increases to these heights the effectiveness of the dollar lowers. So if we spend 1 trillion it’s really like 900 billion effectiveness. 2 trillion is 1.7 trillion. However it does introduce that much money into this system.

So as debt increases the valueness of the whole dollar lowers.. which hits the consumer as inflation. So as this debt load increases the dollar becomes less valuable in addition, or the debt coupon of the percent of overall debt this increases this problem.

The yield rate is lower cause that’s what government keeps it suppressed at.. otherwise it would be spending even more money then it’s bringing in as revenue. Correct ? Hopefully I’m explaining that in a way that makes sense. Might come back to explain it differently ..

This post has been edited by Nicodimas: 23 March 2022 - 04:00 AM

-If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone
0

#115 User is offline   Cause 

  • Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Posts: 5,744
  • Joined: 25-December 03
  • Location:NYC

Posted 23 March 2022 - 03:43 AM

I’m South African and I honestly don’t know how we we got them to include us in BRICS but I can assure you, don’t expect big things from it.

The BRICS bank is supposed to be a counter to the western IMF. West and western can be a powerful insult. Especially in a country that lives in fear in having to take an IMF loan that might come with pesky strings like please don’t let corrupt politicians steal the money and we would like to see a plan on how you will pay us back.
1

#116 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

  • Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Posts: 11,989
  • Joined: 08-October 04
  • Location:T'North

Posted 14 April 2022 - 09:47 PM

If you haven't seen this utterly superb exchange on the BBC's The One Show, you really should. Makes me so happy!
https://twitter.com/...gPgOZ1sMCw&s=19
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.
0

#117 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

  • Part Time Catgirl
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Posts: 4,215
  • Joined: 11-November 14
  • Location:Lether, apparently...
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 20 April 2022 - 07:49 AM

There is now a campaigning Yorkshire Independence Party (run by a friend of a friend as it happens). I feel like the point where the North started thinking "you know what, fuck this" was always inevitable given how the Tories repeatedly cut our funding and inject it into rich areas that they traditionally govern instead... I also don't think that anything will change, if people aren't downing tools over the fact that they're being governed by outright criminals (rather than implied criminals), what hope is there?
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle
0

#118 User is offline   Gorefest 

  • Witness
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Posts: 2,987
  • Joined: 29-May 14
  • Location:Sheffield

Posted 20 April 2022 - 11:17 AM

Isn't the fact that many people in Yorkshire switched from traditionally voting Labour to voting Tory in the past 6-10 years one of the main reasons why the Tories now have such a stranglehold on UK politics? Not sure how Yorkshire independence would change that. It'd be far more useful if parties like Labour would actually try and reengage with their heartlands instead of being bogged down in London-centric elitist politicking.

This post has been edited by Gorefest: 20 April 2022 - 11:19 AM

Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.
0

#119 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

  • Part Time Catgirl
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Posts: 4,215
  • Joined: 11-November 14
  • Location:Lether, apparently...
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 20 April 2022 - 11:58 AM

View PostGorefest, on 20 April 2022 - 11:17 AM, said:

Isn't the fact that many people in Yorkshire switched from traditionally voting Labour to voting Tory in the past 6-10 years one of the main reasons why the Tories now have such a stranglehold on UK politics? Not sure how Yorkshire independence would change that. It'd be far more useful if parties like Labour would actually try and reengage with their heartlands instead of being bogged down in London-centric elitist politicking.


It's more that it shows that at least some people are starting to break away from the one party system we have (as all three main parties are now Thatcherite).

Labour did largely return to the focus of opposition and being for the people, but the electorate quite violently rejected that, and now we have lite tories.

Given the money in it, I don't see Labour coming back to being viable. I also don't see any viable options for things to get better at all, unless severe restricitons are imposed onto the ruling class (and why would they hamstring their ability to leech wealth at any stage ever).
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle
1

#120 User is offline   Malankazooie 

  • Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Posts: 6,693
  • Joined: 21-June 16

Posted 24 April 2022 - 05:02 PM

Hey, sup? Also, what's up in France? How are things predicted to go down today?
0

Share this topic:


  • 26 Pages +
  • « First
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users