Malazan Empire: His Dark Materials series - Malazan Empire

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

His Dark Materials series

#21 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 04 November 2019 - 04:52 PM

Good to know. I will not get to it for a while yet sadly, but happy to hear that you're liking it so far!
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#22 User is offline   Brujah 

• Suicide of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 04 November 2019 - 05:45 PM

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 04 November 2019 - 02:41 PM, said:

Brilliant opener. This looks a hundred times more promising than the film. Ruth Wilson wins Entrance of the Year as Mrs Coulter.

I'm almost prepared to take back every mean thing I said about Jack Thorne's abilities as a writer in the wake of Harry Potter and the Cursed Child (although that's still garbage).... I'm genuinely very excited for the rest of the series (and the second one, as that's already being filmed I believe?)

I hope so. I enjoyed the film, and it was one of the film's I wanted my wife to catch up on. I'm not sure if I want her to watch the film first, now. This is right in her spectrum of things she would enjoy.

I can usually tell when I know she'll like/love something.

I introduced her to both The Magicians series and sense8, and both were major scorers with her.

Other successes I had were Elantris, Mistborn, Dresden Files, which she loves above all others. I tried to expand her reading to include Fantasy. She is a huge fan of 17th add 18th century British settings. She lived in a world of Bronte, Dickens, Dickenson, Austen..... Shakespeare.

We both enjoyed doctor strange and Mr Norrell, all of the Spartacus series, the Netflix series The OA, and believe it or not she still hasn't seen stranger things.

Back to the subject at hand, I really think this will be something I can enjoy with her.

Edit: needless to say, but we both thoroughly enjoyed Game of Thrones series and she read the books that are out 3 times, and must have read The Dresden Files more times than I can count. I don't see how she does it. I can't really go back and reread a book I don't know why. They're so so much in the Malazan world that I know I missed, and I've tried to start my rereads many many times oh, but I just can't seem to do it.

This post has been edited by Brujah: 04 November 2019 - 05:50 PM

And when you're Gone, you stay Gone, or you be Gone. You lost all your Seven Cities privileges. - Karsa

you're such an inspiration for the ways that I will never, ever choose to be...
- Maynard James Keenan

#23 User is offline   Brujah 

Posted 06 November 2019 - 08:49 AM

Ep1 was good enough to keep me watching, plus after Split and Glass, James McAvoy ascended to Godhood.
And when you're Gone, you stay Gone, or you be Gone. You lost all your Seven Cities privileges. - Karsa

- Maynard James Keenan

#24 User is offline   Serenity 

• Saki!!!!!
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 06 November 2019 - 10:11 AM

I thought it was decent but the number of people (who haven't read the books) who have said to me that they didn't know what was going on is kind of worrying.

#25 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 06 November 2019 - 10:22 AM

View PostSerenity, on 06 November 2019 - 10:11 AM, said:

I thought it was decent but the number of people (who haven't read the books) who have said to me that they didn't know what was going on is kind of worrying.

That was actually something early reviews picked up on - that they weren't sure how many new fans who weren't familiar with the source material it would be able to bring in.
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#26 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 06 November 2019 - 01:57 PM

I've never read the book, and didn't feel entirely grabbed by the episode. Though I'll watch more of them for sure.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#27 User is offline   Dadding 

• Shaved Knuckle in the Hole

Posted 09 November 2019 - 04:08 AM

I for one loved episode 1! I thought the extra behind-the-scenes scenes with the Magisterium and the Jordan Professors gave a bit more context than we got in the limited POV in the books (unless I'm mistaken and those scenes really do appear, it's been a while).

Plus, with the show coming out, I convinced my boss to start reading the books to his kids!

#28 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 09 November 2019 - 07:41 AM

Watched it last night, I thought it was a strong start. The previous movie version missed out the Magisterium threat, and any sort of religious aspect - it was good to see it included. It makes me wonder how far they'll go with the book content, it looks promising so far though.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#29 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 09 November 2019 - 11:53 AM

I too have now seen the first episode and from what I remember from the books they have done an excellent job in creating the atmosphere of the books and the depth of the characters. Ruth Wilson is ace anyway so I'm looking forward to her development of the character there...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#30 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 11 November 2019 - 09:37 AM

One somewhat clunky reveal aside, I think it was an equally strong second episode. Ruth Wilson is just perfect.
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#31 User is offline   Brujah 

Posted 11 November 2019 - 04:45 PM

The second one comes on here tonight at 9pm. It's 1145am atm.

- Maynard James Keenan

#32 User is offline   Dadding 

Posted 12 November 2019 - 11:36 PM

Episode 2 was great! I get chills every time the credits open. I don't think there's any book series that's had as big an impact on me, I can't put into words how ecstatic I am that the show is actually really good so far too.

Ruth Wilson is definitely the high point, though Ariyon Bakare / Boreal is giving her a run for her money. I doubted if they could really do that bloody golden monkey justice, but he's up there too.

#33 User is offline   Brujah 

Posted 13 November 2019 - 12:44 AM

Ruth Wilson's take on Marisa is superb, especially so in comparison to Nicole Kidman's portrayal.

- Maynard James Keenan

#34 User is offline   Brujah 

Posted 13 November 2019 - 12:48 AM

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 11 November 2019 - 09:37 AM, said:

One somewhat clunky reveal aside, I think it was an equally strong second episode. Ruth Wilson is just perfect.

That "clunky reveal" definitely through me for a loop, having only seen The Golden Compass and never read the books. I didn't even know that was part of the storyline.

- Maynard James Keenan

#35 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 13 November 2019 - 01:23 AM

Clunky reveal
Spoiler

A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#36 User is offline   Brujah 

Posted 13 November 2019 - 06:29 AM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 13 November 2019 - 01:23 AM, said:

Clunky reveal
Spoiler

I was thinking the reveal was the second one you mentioned, myself.

And you're joking about that being Idris Elba?

- Maynard James Keenan

#37 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 13 November 2019 - 07:12 AM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 13 November 2019 - 01:23 AM, said:

Clunky reveal
Spoiler

Spoiler

This post has been edited by TheRetiredBridgeburner: 13 November 2019 - 07:17 AM

- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#38 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 13 November 2019 - 08:32 AM

I was thinking during the first part of ep 2 that while in the books the late (book 2) inclusion of 'our' world works well, on tv it would be better to have something earlier to draw in people who have not read them.

And then they did just that.. so I can kind of see why they've done it that way.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#39 User is offline   Dadding 

Posted 13 November 2019 - 01:17 PM

View PostTraveller, on 13 November 2019 - 08:32 AM, said:

I was thinking during the first part of ep 2 that while in the books the late (book 2) inclusion of 'our' world works well, on tv it would be better to have something earlier to draw in people who have not read them.

And then they did just that.. so I can kind of see why they've done it that way.

Agreed, feels like the right way to do it. The books are all from Lyra's POV, but including other POVs like Boreal/Magisterium/Gyptians as early as they're doing sounds like a win-win-win-win. They get to introduce some of the more interesting ideas earlier, they get to have a bigger cast of important characters, book-readers have some extra scenes to sink their teeth into, and Dafne Keen doesn't have to be in every scene so they get around child-labour laws.

And from what I've heard Pullman is directly contributing in terms of telling them what other characters would have been up to during the events of the first book.

#40 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 16 November 2019 - 08:13 PM

I'm liking this so far. One thing that struck me though, and I don't really know if this is a negative or not yet, is how much it focuses on the adults. Probably a necessity for television, and as Dadding says, it has its pluses, but I wonder if that cuts out some of the younger age group the books work so well for. I could imagine a lot of kids who'd love the books but be kinda bored by a lot of this show, since so much of it is neutral perspective rather than kids-eye-view of things. Kinda makes the adult-business-only scenes a little dry, maybe. Anyway, could be totally wrong about that, and the entire cast so far has been great. I'm liking this take on the Gyptians a lot.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users