• Drive by bye bye king

Posted 30 April 2019 - 02:46 PM

Deleted

This post has been edited by .-‘: 05 October 2021 - 11:21 PM

Drive by bye bye king on my dumb horse

#2 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 30 April 2019 - 03:25 PM

Technically it's a BBC show actually (done by the people who resurrected DOCTOR WHO in 2005; Julie Tranter & Bad Wolf), HBO is just distributing it in the US.

And here's a trailer. :apt2:

I think TV is a MUCH better place to explore the series than the movies were. Especially with the added stuff in the universe (BOOK OF DUST, LYRA'S OXFORD, ect.), and moreso because the themes explored in it won't be chopped back for audiences. The movie was destroyed by Church groups who had a loud voice and were listened to by New Line at the time. The TV show won't be beholden to such childish antics.

I mean it's essentially an Anti-God/Religion series after all.

And yes the IS the actress from LOGAN. :)

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 30 April 2019 - 03:27 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#3 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 30 April 2019 - 04:46 PM

View PostBriar King, on 30 April 2019 - 04:09 PM, said:

The movie is why I never read. To kiddy for me. I’m not to fond of the idea of watching 10 eps of the same overall story destination of movie so I hope it is indeed fleshed out with other stuff.

You should absolutely read it first of all. It's the highest brow and intelligent YA series out there. By far.

And the movie only covered the first book (and not even the whole thing)....the real story happens in Books 2 and 3, as does the really wacky stuff.

It's a YA series that broaches things like Quantum Entanglement. It's EXCELLENT.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#4 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 01 May 2019 - 08:00 AM

Agreed that I have high hopes a TV series will be able to handle the story much better than the film - although that's not setting a high bar of expectation at all because I genuinely don't think it could be worse.

I would say the film is no indication whatsoever of whether you would like the books. They don't feel YA to me at all - I read them as both roughly the intended audience age and have re-read them a couple of times as an adult, and would say I got more from them as an adult, not less.

It's a really beautiful story - the film cut the soul out of it and was left with a distinctly too YA heartless mess.

This post has been edited by TheRetiredBridgeburner: 01 May 2019 - 08:00 AM

- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#5 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 20 May 2019 - 07:31 AM

Great series. Worried about translating it to the screen, but the BBC are the people to do it.

And to be honest, I'm pretty sure it was just the publisher who sold it as YA. Pretty sure Pullman is on the record that it was never his intended audience. And that definitely shows. So glad I read it when I did though. Brilliant series that still holds up today. One of my favs.

But that just puts all the more pressure on it for me. The movie was an abomination that should never have been allowed (never mind calling it by the stupid American title), and I think the subject matter coupled with youngish kids being the primary characters make it very hard to do right, let alone well.

Fingers crossed. This is probably the best we'll get for quite some time.

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#6 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 20 May 2019 - 02:35 PM

needs more BWWHHHHAAAAAMMMMMMM

#7 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 20 May 2019 - 05:00 PM

Never read the series, never saw the movie. But that looks incredibly interesting.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#8 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 20 May 2019 - 06:39 PM

Watched bits and pieces of the movie, wasn't overly enthralled but have always meant to read the books.

#9 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 21 May 2019 - 12:49 PM

View PostSilencer, on 20 May 2019 - 07:31 AM, said:

(never mind calling it by the stupid American title)

Ohhh boy, fightin' time! The Golden Compass is a way better title than Northern Lights! Northern Lights sound like a national geographic issue, *and* The Golden Compass makes a nice pattern of names with The Subtle Knife and The Amber Spyglass.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#10 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 21 May 2019 - 12:59 PM

View PostLackluster Bachelorette, on 20 May 2019 - 02:52 AM, said:

Ok saw this after GoT tonight. Kinda worried...looks like a lot of the same ground covered from movie. I have to hope it’s really filled out or I maybe really bored I think.

I mean, the movie pulled most of (if not all of) the punches of the first book, and be aware that the first season is very likely to cover book 1, and the real wacky stuff doesn't happen till Book 2 and 3 anyways....but overall the thing I hope for is that the TV show ends the season on the PROPER cliffhanger....the movie yanked that cliffhanger out and ended it like 2 chapters early....for some godforsaken reason...

View PostD, on 21 May 2019 - 12:49 PM, said:

View PostSilencer, on 20 May 2019 - 07:31 AM, said:

(never mind calling it by the stupid American title)

Ohhh boy, fightin' time! The Golden Compass is a way better title than Northern Lights! Northern Lights sound like a national geographic issue, *and* The Golden Compass makes a nice pattern of names with The Subtle Knife and The Amber Spyglass.

While I read it under, and have only the North American title of THE GOLDEN COMPASS...NORTHERN LIGHTS is 100% a better and more topical title in my eyes.

But I also agree that GOLDEN COMPASS flows better with the other two titles.

So I agree and disagree with you both!

Anyways, I'm excited. Mostly because this is being made by the very production people who brought back DOCTOR WHO in 2005 ...but the worry that everyone should have is that it's been scripted by Jack Thorne....who co-wrote the Harry Potter play that so many people don't like...

#11 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 23 May 2019 - 03:44 PM

The basic fact that CGI costs will severely limit the amounts of battle-armoured polar bear action in this series dooms it to utter fail.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#12 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 19 July 2019 - 06:46 PM

There is a new trailer. You get a proper glimpse of both daemons and armored bear. IMO they look...pretty good for TV.

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#13 User is offline   Dadding 

• Shaved Knuckle in the Hole

Posted 19 July 2019 - 09:45 PM

I'm way too excited for this, it looks like they might even be amping up the church being baddies! HDM was the last series my parents read out-loud to me as a kid, and it's still easily in my top 10 series of all time.

Plus, I think the showrunners are in my head. John Faa, Roger, Bolvangar, Trollesund, they all look exactly how I pictured them in my head. It's uncanny.

#14 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 19 July 2019 - 09:57 PM

Ruth Wilson as Mrs Coulter is fucking flawless casting.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#15 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 19 July 2019 - 10:04 PM

^^^ that.

I am very excited for this.... I thought it wasn't landing until October for some reason, perhaps it's going to be a bit earlier :)
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#16 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 20 July 2019 - 12:09 PM

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 19 July 2019 - 10:04 PM, said:

^^^ that.

I am very excited for this.... I thought it wasn't landing until October for some reason, perhaps it's going to be a bit earlier :)

I believe it's still October or November. Apparently the release window will be roughly around the time the next book in the series, THE SECRET COMMONWEALTH, is released (on 3 October).
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#17 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 25 October 2019 - 12:20 PM

3rd November in the UK - so excited! Posted Image

This post has been edited by TheRetiredBridgeburner: 25 October 2019 - 12:20 PM

- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#18 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 25 October 2019 - 01:14 PM

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 25 October 2019 - 12:20 PM, said:

3rd November in the UK - so excited! Posted Image

It looks REALLY well done and since I'm such a NuWho fan from 2005, I fully trust Julie Gardner to have made sure this was made right!

#19 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 25 October 2019 - 02:02 PM

The owner of Bad Wolf Productions is Jane Tranter - I seem to recall she's Davies-era NuWho alumni too. Promising stuff!
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#20 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 04 November 2019 - 02:41 PM

Brilliant opener. This looks a hundred times more promising than the film. Ruth Wilson wins Entrance of the Year as Mrs Coulter.

I'm almost prepared to take back every mean thing I said about Jack Thorne's abilities as a writer in the wake of Harry Potter and the Cursed Child (although that's still garbage).... I'm genuinely very excited for the rest of the series (and the second one, as that's already being filmed I believe?)

- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users