This post has been edited by .-‘: 03 October 2021 - 04:41 PM

Drive by bye bye king on my dumb horse

#2 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 17 April 2019 - 02:42 AM

View PostBriar King, on 17 April 2019 - 01:41 AM, said:

... He said if he finished by Jan we can probably get by Xmas 2020 but I have high doubts about that. I say 2021 easy.

Brandon wrote an entire YA trilogy, two novellas, and the next Mistborn book in the time it took you to post that.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#3 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 17 April 2019 - 01:47 PM

View PostBriar King, on 17 April 2019 - 02:56 AM, said:

He does write fast yes. Says he is thinking it’s 400K(I have no idea how big that is or how many 1-3 were)and is at around 15K currently.

TWoK - 384,000
WoR - 398,000
OB - 454,000

400,000 sounds like perfect length for one of these books

This post has been edited by End of Disc One: 17 April 2019 - 01:48 PM

#4 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 17 April 2019 - 01:59 PM

I sincerely hope that I don’t feel any need to give bk 4 a permanent different title unlike another book in this series.

The series is reportedly 3 three-book "parts" or "arcs" split up, and one final 10th cap-off book. So THE WAY OF KINGS to OATHBRINGER completes that first arc, and the next volume will be book 1 of the second arc. So HOPEFULLY it will be less of a snore since we will be entering into a new portion of the series?
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#5 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 17 April 2019 - 02:38 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 17 April 2019 - 01:59 PM, said:

I sincerely hope that I don’t feel any need to give bk 4 a permanent different title unlike another book in this series.

The series is reportedly 3 three-book "parts" or "arcs" split up, and one final 10th cap-off book. So THE WAY OF KINGS to OATHBRINGER completes that first arc, and the next volume will be book 1 of the second arc. So HOPEFULLY it will be less of a snore since we will be entering into a new portion of the series?

Maybe I missed something recently, but I'm pretty sure it's two 5-book arcs with a time gap in between them.

#6 User is offline   John II 

• The Black King
  • Interests:Ruling with an iron fist, showing no mercy, evil plans to take over the world, and other fun stuff.

Posted 23 April 2019 - 03:35 AM

View PostEnd of Disc One, on 17 April 2019 - 02:38 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 17 April 2019 - 01:59 PM, said:

I sincerely hope that I don't feel any need to give bk 4 a permanent different title unlike another book in this series.

Maybe I missed something recently, but I'm pretty sure it's two 5-book arcs with a time gap in between them.

Yep, it's two 5 book arcs. Where QuickTidal probably got confused is the fact that each book is designed as a trilogy. They are also written in five parts, which makes things confusing.
Also, are you implying that OB was a snorefest? How can you do such a thing? Easily the best of the series for me, especially Dalinar's arc.

#7 User is offline   John II 

• The Black King
  • Interests:Ruling with an iron fist, showing no mercy, evil plans to take over the world, and other fun stuff.

Posted 23 April 2019 - 03:55 AM

View PostBriar King, on 23 April 2019 - 03:47 AM, said:

QT actually really enjoyed it once it got going. I'm the one that thinks it's my least favorite read/book of my reading life beating out Republic of Thieves that had that honor up to then. I won't even call it by it's title.

Part 5 was dope though. So was the early part of part 1.

Republic of Thieves was a little strained, I agree - the Locke/Sabetha dynamic didn't really sit well with me. The previous two were amazing though - especially Lies.

It's been a while since I read it, so can't exactly remember what happened in each part, but IIRC part 5 was the Battle of Thaylen Field? If so, dope isn't sufficient to describe it - try FREAKING AWESOME!!!11ONEONEONE. The way the developments of Kaladin and Dalinar throughout the book converge there is awesome. Not to mention Dalinar's total badassery, and the revelation of Cultivation's cleverness (she still isn't as sharp as Leras/Preservation, imo)

#8 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 23 April 2019 - 01:45 PM

View PostBriar King, on 23 April 2019 - 03:47 AM, said:

QT actually really enjoyed it once it got going. I’m the one that thinks it’s my least favorite read/book of my reading life beating out Republic of Thieves that had that honor up to then. I won’t even call it by it’s title.

Part 5 was dope though. So was the early part of part 1.

It was a LONG time getting there, but yes late in the book I began to really enjoy it. It's still the weakest of the series so far by a long stretch and I have higher hopes for the next one.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#9 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 23 April 2019 - 02:40 PM

I'd probably say I prefer Oathbringer to TWoK just because it was more interesting to me. But I certainly hope that the next book is leaner without sacrificing content. Like the Szeth story in Oathbringer--a complete arc in part 4 that was quick and to the point. There are plenty of interesting characters in this series...I hope Brandon can give the main 3 characters a break and give some of the secondary characters these Szeth-like story arcs.

This post has been edited by End of Disc One: 23 April 2019 - 02:40 PM

#10 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 16 February 2020 - 01:27 AM

The guy writes like a demon, and I never had a problem with that untill the last book. That thing needed a serious edit. I need to reread it before the next book but I dont really want to. I love the world building he does, I love the ecology, the planet, the powers of the knights but the plots drag in this series! I realize Kaladin is basically mentally ill and has depressive episodes and in real life one doesnt just fix something like that. Still the plot of book one was him overcoming it, the plot of book two was overcoming it and the plot of book three he overcome it twice! Nevermind Shallan!

#11 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 16 February 2020 - 04:21 AM

You talk shite about Lift and we will have words.
Good day sir.

#12 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 16 February 2020 - 11:56 PM

We should have a read thread titled ‘no weepers in the slog’!

Last person to bitch about the book wins a prize!

#13 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 13 July 2020 - 11:40 AM

View Post20 Days of Sheep, on 13 July 2020 - 04:49 AM, said:

Ok the word count is in. 459,629 which is even bigger then Slogbringers 454,000. The page count is still sitting on 1088 so maybe that hasn’t been updated yet. Slogbringer hc listed on 1248pgs. I don’t have the will or want to go the 35 ft to the computer room to check if that piece of shit book lines up with that number or not. Gonna be some tiny ass print if it’s longer yet shorter then bk 3...

They are too big, so I've decided that from RoW onwards, I will be kindling Sanderson's bigger works.

#14 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 13 July 2020 - 12:46 PM

Girth was never a problem for you before, QT.

;)
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#15 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 13 July 2020 - 12:50 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 13 July 2020 - 12:46 PM, said:

Girth was never a problem for you before, QT.

;)

Oi!

#16 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 13 July 2020 - 01:06 PM

He's been saying since the first book that the rest of the books will be shorter. Hopefully the page count is warranted this time. I thought Oathbringer could have benefited from either being shorter, or by cutting out some Shallan time in favor other other characters like Jasnah or Renarin.

#17 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 04 August 2020 - 04:40 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 13 July 2020 - 11:40 AM, said:

Ok the word count is in. 459,629 which is even bigger then Slogbringers 454,000. The page count is still sitting on 1088 so maybe that hasn’t been updated yet. Slogbringer hc listed on 1248pgs. I don’t have the will or want to go the 35 ft to the computer room to check if that piece of shit book lines up with that number or not. Gonna be some tiny ass print if it’s longer yet shorter then bk 3...

They are too big, so I've decided that from RoW onwards, I will be kindling Sanderson's bigger works.

Gods help me I've changed my order to the hardcover...because I feel like I need to collect these books as I already have 1-3...sigh. I'm such a book whore.

#18 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 04 August 2020 - 09:28 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 04 August 2020 - 04:40 PM, said:

Gods help me I've changed my order to the hardcover...because I feel like I need to collect these books as I already have 1-3...sigh. I'm such a book whore.

.....theY'Re ChANGing THE COVER Style QT....
...it WON'T MATCH ON youR SHELF.

#19 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 05 August 2020 - 01:07 AM

View PostAbyss, on 04 August 2020 - 09:28 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 04 August 2020 - 04:40 PM, said:

.....theY'Re ChANGing THE COVER Style QT....
...it WON'T MATCH ON youR SHELF.

It’s alright, I changed it back to kindle preorder about an hour ago...so wishy so washy...

#20 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 18 August 2020 - 05:49 PM

The cover has dropped!

and in Typical Whelan style, it's excellent.

https://www.tor.com/...mlight-archive/

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users