Malazan Empire: Game of Thrones: Final Season - Malazan Empire

• 37 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Game of Thrones: Final Season /spoilers!!!!

#661 User is offline   nacht 

• Mortal Sword
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 22 May 2019 - 06:07 AM

View PostNicodimas, on 22 May 2019 - 05:34 AM, said:

Wow was this ever a terrible ending to a show.

Glad we got the books.

Glad we have Hollywood and will get a

Game of thrones: Brotherhood.

Alternatively I console myself thinking

Arya goes west to find west world.

Hollywood and GRRM.
You are setting yourself you for more disappointment (or maybe you were being sarcastic).

Mr.Erikson, please give us Shadow so that we can move past all this.

#662 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 22 May 2019 - 07:55 AM

Yeah thinking that the books will ever be finished is just asking for disappointment.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#663 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 22 May 2019 - 08:16 AM

Well, the next one is mostly in place, so one way or another that one will get published at some point, even if it is posthumously. Then whomever holds the rights will doubtlessly get another writer in to finish off the last one. There is a fair bit of money in this franchise, whether GRRM himself wants it directly or not.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#664 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 22 May 2019 - 09:43 AM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 22 May 2019 - 07:55 AM, said:

Yeah thinking that the books will ever be finished is just asking for disappointment.

I am thinking of assembling a strike team, membership is entirely voluntary of course but I have some ideas. Essentially however we have one mission, kidnap important writers and encourage them to finish. GRRM martin clearly requires some motivation and perhaps a health intervention, forced diet and exercise. Butcher can see his family again when peace talks is done and not before.

Tiste- Your knowledge of law enforcement will help us frustrate law enforcements efforts to capture us
Nico- We may need guns and definitely a bunker
Abyss- Worse case scenario we need you to eat their brains and finish the books for them
Quicktidal- We don't know how they should end but we know how they shouldn't, your job is to prevent the bad endings. Argue until they see reason

#665 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 22 May 2019 - 10:59 AM

TRB: Can successfully handle a range of very intimidating birds of prey, to be placed in eye line of said authors and be considered "gentle encouragement".

This post has been edited by TheRetiredBridgeburner: 22 May 2019 - 10:59 AM

- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#666 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 22 May 2019 - 11:23 AM

View PostCause, on 22 May 2019 - 09:43 AM, said:

View PostTiste Simeon, on 22 May 2019 - 07:55 AM, said:

I am thinking of assembling a strike team, membership is entirely voluntary of course but I have some ideas. Essentially however we have one mission, kidnap important writers and encourage them to finish. GRRM martin clearly requires some motivation and perhaps a health intervention, forced diet and exercise. Butcher can see his family again when peace talks is done and not before.

Tiste- Your knowledge of law enforcement will help us frustrate law enforcements efforts to capture us
Nico- We may need guns and definitely a bunker
Abyss- Worse case scenario we need you to eat their brains and finish the books for them
Quicktidal- We don't know how they should end but we know how they shouldn't, your job is to prevent the bad endings. Argue until they see reason

I don't need encouragement, just head pats.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#667 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 22 May 2019 - 12:02 PM

View PostCause, on 22 May 2019 - 09:43 AM, said:

So essentially the first thing that jumps to mind for you when trying to plan an illicit kidnap ploy is to recruit a policeman into the fold because 'they know the law'? That ranks pretty high up the list of 'kidnap non-noes' in my book, probably right underneath announcing your fiendish scheme on a public forum for all the world to see and record for posterity.

So I won't declare any support for this and I publicly denounce such heinous activities. Happy to catch up over a beer sometime though to discuss totally unrelated ideas and suggestions I may have which are not at all even remotely relevant to any kidnap or whom to target and how to hide the bodies. There will be no bodies. Nobody can prove anything. I didn't even write this.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#668 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 22 May 2019 - 03:40 PM

...brainzzzzzzzzzzzezzz....

In other news, watched the finale.

DANY - i'm left divided on this.... Zany Tary' Dany was a logical place for her storyline to go, but i feel like they didn't give it enough build, so i'm left unsatisfied but not fan-angry.

JON - well, it took pretty much the entire series but he finally won a fight. meh. I did like how his exile to the Nights Watch turned to a re-union with Ghost and departure to join the Wildlings tho'.

SANSA - am totally satisfied with this end to her story. also, "Uncle, sit the fuck down and shut up" was wonderful.

ARYA - same. more than satisfied actually, i love the notion of her as master explorer.

TYRION - same. he gets a chance to get it right, after making such a mess of it the last time he was the King's Hand.

SAM - same. tho i'm reasonably certain the whole 'vows of chastity' thing doesn't apply.

BRONN - same, plus laughing myself silly.

BRAN - meh. nothing about Bran's plotline makes me buy his being made King, and it makes the whole 'The North Stays Independent' thing make no sense because wouldn't Ned Stark's kid becoming King of Westeros be considered a win? meh.

BRIENNE - all good.

DAVOS - same.

GREY WORM - fine.

DROGON - Melting the throne made no sense whatsoever, it was unnecessary drama verging on silly, especially since they could so easily have given him a valid reason to do it. Otherwise Big D he dominated every scene he was in. The Dany-dragon-wings thing was utterly contrived but Drogon is such a great actor that he made it work.

....so on the balance i am satisfied. Not as blown away as i really wanted to be, but not signing any stupid petitions either.

If we never ever see the end of the books (tho i would bet solid money that the next book will out within a year of GRRM's eventual death, but probably not before then) i can live with having seen this end of this story.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#669 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 22 May 2019 - 04:48 PM

Well this is brilliant.

Spoiler

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#670 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 22 May 2019 - 06:26 PM

This show at its worst was never as bad as Westworld at its best. It has at least that.

And I've been thinking about Drogon...even though it was on the nose, and kinda goofy, and something of a minor 'twist' with no buildup...I think in the end it just means the dragons were smarter than we thought. They're not Smaug smart, but they're not just beasts of burden, or large lizard-cats, etc. And why wouldn't they be? Just cuz they don't speak human language? It doesn't even require Drogon to fully understand symbolism as a human would though -- it could just be that he knew from his supernatural connection to his mother that the throne was an obsession.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#671 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 22 May 2019 - 06:38 PM

View Postworry, on 22 May 2019 - 06:26 PM, said:

And I've been thinking about Drogon...even though it was on the nose, and kinda goofy, and something of a minor 'twist' with no buildup...I think in the end it just means the dragons were smarter than we thought. They're not Smaug smart, but they're not just beasts of burden, or large lizard-cats, etc. And why wouldn't they be? Just cuz they don't speak human language? It doesn't even require Drogon to fully understand symbolism as a human would though -- it could just be that he knew from his supernatural connection to his mother that the throne was an obsession.

It's as good an explanation as we're likely to get, just not really supported by anything in the show. If Drogon were as smart as that, he probably would have bbq'd Jon too.

#672 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 22 May 2019 - 07:31 PM

You mean Drogdor the Burninator? The throne was just the precursor to him burninating the countryside, peasants and THATCH ROOF COTTAGES!!!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#673 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 22 May 2019 - 07:32 PM

View PostAbyss, on 22 May 2019 - 06:38 PM, said:

It's as good an explanation as we're likely to get, just not really supported by anything in the show. If Drogon were as smart as that, he probably would have bbq'd Jon too.

Yeah, so much of the problem with this finale isn't what happened but how it was made to happen. You can justify and handwave just about everything, we just shouldn't have to.

Although in this particular instance I do think that Drogon burning the throne was ham-handed symbolism of the worst sort.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#674 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 22 May 2019 - 07:47 PM

To me, it was ham-handed symbolism of the goofy-but-I-liked-it-anyway-est sort.

#675 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 22 May 2019 - 08:17 PM

It wasn't entirely eye-rolling, but mostly.

#676 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 22 May 2019 - 08:39 PM

If anyone's still interested in a longer take on S8 (<10 minutes, but still), I thought this was an interesting angle: https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/the-real-reason-fans-hate-the-last-season-of-game-of-thrones/

#677 User is offline   Serenity 

• Saki!!!!!

Posted 22 May 2019 - 10:02 PM

#678 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 23 May 2019 - 02:13 AM

This show at its worst was never as bad as Westworld at its best. It has at least that.

I actually think Westworld was better than GoT in several spots. However, it was frequently worse.

What it hasn't done yet is completely rewrite a character to stop caring about what they care about or smash events so closer together that they become nonsense. That happened a bunch in GoT and I genuinely think it's because the show runners don't have the same sociological viewpoint of the story they're trying to tell as Martin does or the Westworld show runners do.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#679 User is offline   nacht 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 23 May 2019 - 02:18 AM

View Postworry, on 22 May 2019 - 07:47 PM, said:

To me, it was ham-handed symbolism of the goofy-but-I-liked-it-anyway-est sort.

When I saw it the first time, it seemed that he started wanting to burn Jon, changed his mind, moved his head and burned the throne by accident, and the director made a show of the symbolism.
Never occurred to to me that Drogon thought through all this.

#680 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 23 May 2019 - 02:29 AM

Posted Image

Share this topic:

• 37 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users