Malazan Empire: Elemental Forces / Edgewalker (All book spoilers) - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Elemental Forces / Edgewalker (All book spoilers)

#1 User is offline   WhiskeyJohn 

• Corporal
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 16 January 2019 - 11:11 PM

Who are they? Kaminsod is one of them? Probably all Azathanai too?

Even Osserc and Olar Ethil are afraid to cross Edgewalker. Who is he? Ruled Shadow and now serving it?

#2 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 17 January 2019 - 01:32 AM

Elemental forces are aspects, not individuals.

Kaminsod was a love god whose aspect was warped when he was yanked out of his world and dropped from orbit onto Malazanland.

We don't know who Edgy is. Hints suggest he tried to rule Shadow, failed, and now is one of its strongest guardians.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#3 User is offline   WhiskeyJohn 

• Corporal

Posted 17 January 2019 - 03:39 AM

Edgewalker in BH says to call him a elemental force. So was curious.

#4 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 18 January 2019 - 05:11 AM

It's quite possible Edgewalker wasn't even all that particularly aspected to Shadow before he tried to take the throne of Shadow (or whatever went down that ended up with him shackled to the warren), but he's been stuck in that situation for so long that he considers himself so aspected to Shadow that he even calls himself an "elemental force".

Though one must wonder if there is really any clear line between what is and isn't an "element", either. Is love really an element in the same way light or fire are? If so, why not chance and war and farming and breakdancing, too?

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#5 User is offline   Siergiej 

• High Fist

Posted 18 January 2019 - 08:26 AM

Edgewalker is Yedan Narad.

I really need SE to finish Walk in Shadow so I can feel the vindication when it's confirmed Posted Image

#6 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 18 January 2019 - 05:40 PM

View PostWhiskeyJohn, on 17 January 2019 - 03:39 AM, said:

Edgewalker in BH says to call him a elemental force. So was curious.

Sure, that's what he says. What it means is likely not what's being suggested.

View PostSiergiej, on 18 January 2019 - 08:26 AM, said:

I really need SE to finish Walk in Shadow so I can feel the vindication when it's confirmed Posted Image

It does seem possible he'll turn out to be a Tiste character from that series, if we ever get to see the end.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#7 User is offline   WhiskeyJohn 

• Corporal

Posted 20 January 2019 - 08:05 AM

I really need SE to finish Walk in Shadow so I can feel the vindication when it's confirmed

What's the link? He has never been powerful enough to be feared by the likes of Sister of Cold Nights (Azathanai), Jenna (Jaghut) or Telorast and Curdle (Dragons). That's a pretty heady company who's wary of him. He surely must have been a powerful character at least same level as Rake.

Also was he guardian of shadow when Ampelas and other 2 dragons were chained? He claims he was guardian for long time...but when Rake and Kilmandaros cleansed Emurlhan....was he there?

And a corollary question...Shadow is Meanas, right?

This post has been edited by WhiskeyJohn: 20 January 2019 - 08:12 AM

#8 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 21 January 2019 - 03:03 AM

View PostWhiskeyJohn, on 20 January 2019 - 08:05 AM, said:

Meanas is just Meanas, I'd say, and Emurlahn is Emurlahn, neither of them being (or having ever been) the whole of "shadow", though Emurlahn might once have contained all of the physical shadow world. However Meanas came to be, it's now a distinct warren that contains some (shadow-flavoured) physical living space and it can be channeled by humans (and others) for some magic effects, most of which are related to shadows, deception, and illusion. A lot of that physical world within Meanas seems like it might have previously been a part of the shadow realm/Emurlahn, but that may not be all of it, and it might be pretty hard to ever make definitive statement about the whole arrangement since it is a... well, shadowy place, that borders other shadowy places. The whole aspect of deception and illusions seems to be much more prominent in Meanas than it was in Emurlahn, emphasizing its distinctive and different nature from the older shadow warren/holds.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#9 User is offline   neo era 

• Recruit

Posted 27 April 2019 - 06:31 PM

yep I think so too. at least is probably a tiste male.

shadow could be used interchangeably with meanas I suppose, but if we're talkin about the hold, meanas is a derivative.

#10 User is offline   NefaraisBredd 

• Fist

Posted 31 May 2019 - 12:12 AM

There was a good discussion quite some time ago on this forum related to this very topic:

https://forum.malaza...m-house-shadow/

#11 User is offline   Kanese S's 

• TMI Frigate Bird of Low House PEN
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 21 January 2020 - 08:55 PM

I really need SE to finish Walk in Shadow so I can feel the vindication when it's confirmed

What's the link? He has never been powerful enough to be feared by the likes of Sister of Cold Nights (Azathanai), Jenna (Jaghut) or Telorast and Curdle (Dragons). That's a pretty heady company who's wary of him. He surely must have been a powerful character at least same level as Rake.

Also was he guardian of shadow when Ampelas and other 2 dragons were chained? He claims he was guardian for long time...but when Rake and Kilmandaros cleansed Emurlhan....was he there?

Meanas is a major portion of elder shadow.

There are many.

Laseen did nothing wrong.

I demand Telorast & Curdle plushies.

#12 User is offline   Keysi 

• Fist

Posted 21 January 2020 - 11:59 PM

View PostAbyss, on 17 January 2019 - 01:32 AM, said:

Elemental forces are aspects, not individuals.

Kaminsod was a love god whose aspect was warped when he was yanked out of his world and dropped from orbit onto Malazanland.

We don't know who Edgy is. Hints suggest he tried to rule Shadow, failed, and now is one of its strongest guardians.

I could be being really silly here but.... his aspect was love? You're pulling my leg, right?

#13 User is offline   sigpig 

• Recruit

Posted 20 January 2023 - 02:38 AM

IIRC, Emurlahn was "shattered" and the individual pieces became their own Warrens (Meneas, Rashan, "Shadow", Whirlwind, Nascent, etc).Which makes me wonder if they are within K'Rul at all, since it was an Elder Warren in the first place; althought he carved out a section of his body for the so-called "Imperial" Warren in order to "heal" Jacuruku after it got Kallored...
"Kallored" - to be effed-up so royally by one person that it needs to be hidden from the entire world for all time...

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users