• « First

Game of Thrones Season 8 Rate Topic: -----

#81 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 14 May 2019 - 11:15 AM

View PostTattersail_, on 14 May 2019 - 07:06 AM, said:

I'm calling it now.

Half way through this episode I said this to my wife this must all be a dream. There is no way it went down like that. That seemed like utter trash. Too many things didn't seem right especially with character development. I think that is Bran looking into a future and seeing what would happen. He'll tell Jon and a different future will happen where King's Landing is not burned down.

Even better, a women wakes up in Dallas Texas and goes to the bathroom she pulls back the shower curtain and there we see Bran healed and healthy. The entire thing was a dream she had.

I doubt it though, because the teaser for next weak seems to continue where we left off and honestly it would just be painful.

#82 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Mafia. Awesome Pictures. Awesome Videos. Did I mention Mafia?
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 14 May 2019 - 11:19 AM

View PostCause, on 14 May 2019 - 11:15 AM, said:

I'm calling it now.

Half way through this episode I said this to my wife this must all be a dream. There is no way it went down like that. That seemed like utter trash. Too many things didn't seem right especially with character development. I think that is Bran looking into a future and seeing what would happen. He'll tell Jon and a different future will happen where King's Landing is not burned down.

Even better, a women wakes up in Dallas Texas and goes to the bathroom she pulls back the shower curtain and there we see Bran healed and healthy. The entire thing was a dream she had.

I doubt it though, because the teaser for next weak seems to continue where we left off and honestly it would just be painful.

The teaser only had one scene with Dany infront of her Army, that could be the beginning and flash, it goes to Bran.

Either that or Arya is wearing Tyrion's face and stabs Dany in the back.
Apt is the only one who reads this. Apt is nice.

#83 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 14 May 2019 - 11:35 AM

It would be so unsatisfying, also how far back would the timeline reset to where bran wakes up?

I would like it if we see an ancient and withered bran grown through with wierwood roots and he is centuries old and he mutters something like, the best possible timeline so far but still not good enough. He has been using his powers to change the past, to alter the future trying to make a perfect timeline but its just not possible.

That said I reckon its still going to be played straight.

#84 User is online   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 14 May 2019 - 12:54 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 14 May 2019 - 08:38 AM, said:

View PostMaark Abbott, on 14 May 2019 - 07:47 AM, said:

View Postworry, on 14 May 2019 - 07:14 AM, said:

View PostTiste Simeon, on 14 May 2019 - 06:41 AM, said:

Who's going to kill Sansa?

Old Nan.

We can hope, if ginger smug ends up on the throne then I'm gonna buy a trebuchet and lay siege to D&D.

At least you're using the superior siege weapon.

As long as they don't have fast cavalry that can attack as I pack up, I'll be good
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#85 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 14 May 2019 - 01:40 PM

View PostTattersail_, on 14 May 2019 - 11:19 AM, said:

View PostCause, on 14 May 2019 - 11:15 AM, said:

I'm calling it now.

The teaser only had one scene with Dany infront of her Army, that could be the beginning and flash, it goes to Bran.

Either that or Arya is wearing Bob Newhart's face and stabs Dany in the back.

FTFY
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#86 User is offline   Karsa Orlong 

• Lieutenant

Posted 14 May 2019 - 02:04 PM

I'm calling it now.

Oh man, please no! That would be super lame. Way too much American-TV/cinema storytelling...and if you really want to screw it up for good, make it a super happy-end before the end-credits of the last eps . Ugh!

S07 and S08 really have gone downhill for the whole time. But having said that, the last episode had at least a bit of true Song of Ice and Fire flavor. So "softening it up" with the last eps would be a bad idea, imo.

They really should have done at least two seasons to end the GoT series. They needed more time to set it up properly (or at least a lot better than they have now). But a super "it was all a dream" twist with the last episode? That'd totally ruin it for me.

I think the last episode will now be the stand off Jon vs Daeny. Although i admit that this is the obvious choice and maybe they think they need a "surprise ending". But if they do that just to have a surprise...well booooh.

Here is hope that the spin-offs will be more sensible ^^

#87 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 14 May 2019 - 02:11 PM

View PostKarsa Orlong, on 14 May 2019 - 02:04 PM, said:

I'm calling it now.

Oh man, please no! That would be super lame. Way too much American-TV/cinema storytelling...and if you really want to screw it up for good, make it a super happy-end before the end-credits of the last eps . Ugh!

S07 and S08 really have gone downhill for the whole time. But having said that, the last episode had at least a bit of true Song of Ice and Fire flavor. So "softening it up" with the last eps would be a bad idea, imo.

They really should have done at least two seasons to end the GoT series. They needed more time to set it up properly (or at least a lot better than they have now). But a super "it was all a dream" twist with the last episode? That'd totally ruin it for me.

I think the last episode will now be the stand off Jon vs Daeny. Although i admit that this is the obvious choice and maybe they think they need a "surprise ending". But if they do that just to have a surprise...well booooh.

Here is hope that the spin-offs will be more sensible ^^

They have killed millions of people in the city so right now I don't think anyone cares what happens. They've turned the good guys into bad guys and who fills the void. Would we be satisfied with any ending right now? I don't think so. They needed to stretch this season out to build drama and actual cause. Dany burns a whole city cause Jon doesn't kiss her. Pathetic. I know it's meant to be a descent into madness but in this its like she just flicks a switch.

I don't see how they can wrap this up in one episode either, they have to have closure for the Throne. Only Jon fits that purpose at this stage, but will all the Unsullied and Dothraki follow him after Dany dies? I doubt it, it makes no sense.

#88 User is offline   Karsa Orlong 

• Lieutenant

Posted 14 May 2019 - 02:26 PM

The question is: who is "we"?

I'm sure there are some folks who like the series still. And some who think the last eps was fitting. And honestly, i liked eps 5 the best so far (in S08, that is). And "needed to stretch out this season"? It does feel rushed to me, not stretched out.
Anyway, overall i think we agree...the series is pretty much a huge let down with how they did things and the last eps will veeeery likely not be able to turn that around.

But then again, a series that had so much hype for it for years...i guess disappointment for a lot of fans is not a surprise...because there were as many expectations and wishes for it as there were fans.

What it did do for us, though, on a meta-level, is that now we have a golden age of high quality tv series...and that is at least in part thanks to GoT. So I'm still glad i got to "ride that train", so to speak :p

This post has been edited by Karsa Orlong: 14 May 2019 - 02:27 PM

#89 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 14 May 2019 - 02:31 PM

View PostKarsa Orlong, on 14 May 2019 - 02:26 PM, said:

I'm sure there are some folks who like the series still. And some who think the last eps was fitting. And honestly, i liked eps 5 the best so far (in S08, that is). And "needed to stretch out this season"? It does feel rushed to me, not stretched out.
Anyway, overall i think we agree...the series is pretty much a huge let down with how they did things and the last eps will veeeery likely not be able to turn that around.

But then again, a series that had so much hype for it for years...i guess disappointment for a lot of fans is not a surprise...because there were as many expectations and wishes for it as there were fans.

What it did do for us, though, on a meta-level, is that now we have a golden age of high quality tv series...and that is at least in part thanks to GoT. So I'm still glad i got to "ride that train", so to speak :p

Yes that is what I am saying. It seems like they have rushed this season. I think they lost track because the books weren't finished and they didn't really know which way to go with it. So I have high hopes for other dramas being produced like Wheel of Time and The Witcher series.

#90 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 14 May 2019 - 03:11 PM

View PostTattersail_, on 14 May 2019 - 02:11 PM, said:

I don't see how they can wrap this up in one episode either, they have to have closure for the Throne. Only Jon fits that purpose at this stage, but will all the Unsullied and Dothraki follow him after Dany dies? I doubt it, it makes no sense.

It wraps with someone on the Iron Throne, or the Throne destroyed and no one on it. The 7K either at peace, or still at some degree of strife. From HBO's standpoint it doesn't really matter who or how. Whatever they do is going to make some people happy and some people unhappy, but it will be AN End, if not quite THE END.

'makes sense' is sort of a lost qualifier here at this point when the end of the tv show - that outpaced the book series it was based on - is being driven not by a need to end the story, but by a need to end the show on budget, with at least a hint of closure.

And no matter how much the interwubz rail against whatever they do, people are still going to watch, and a whole other contingent who have ignored the show til now will come to it now that they know it's ended, so HBO still wins the Game of Thrones.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#91 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 14 May 2019 - 03:18 PM

I'm calling it now.

That would be just about the worst, dumbest thing they could do with the final episode.
Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

#92 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB
  • Interests:WWQBD?
  • WoT Fangirl, Rank Traitor

Posted 14 May 2019 - 03:21 PM

View PostAbyss, on 14 May 2019 - 03:11 PM, said:

And no matter how much the interwubz rail against whatever they do, people are still going to watch, and a whole other contingent who have ignored the show til now will come to it now that they know it's ended, so HBO still wins the Game of Thrones.

It's funny to watch John Oliver predicting the demise of his network, though.

The President (2012) said:

Please proceed, Governor.

Chris Christie (2016) said:

There it is.

Elizabeth Warren (2020) said:

And no, I’m not talking about Donald Trump. I’m talking about Mayor Bloomberg.

#93 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 14 May 2019 - 03:23 PM

View PostTattersail_, on 14 May 2019 - 02:31 PM, said:

View PostKarsa Orlong, on 14 May 2019 - 02:26 PM, said:

Yes that is what I am saying. It seems like they have rushed this season. I think they lost track because the books weren't finished and they didn't really know which way to go with it. So I have high hopes for other dramas being produced like Wheel of Time and The Witcher series.

I really think a lot of the latter day narrative sins of the TV show really come down to budget, and also plot complications.

In the early seasons, they didn't really have that much grand scale in battles. Robb Stark won major battles you hardly even saw.

So getting nearer the end, that had grand plans for the big battles to come, ones that would blow up the budget with CGI costs, and take mega long episodes to put together, and suddenly your season budget can't accomodate as many episodes. Its also why you can't get interaction with your CGI direwolf anymore. So the constraints on the last couple of seasons have been steering to the intended conclusion, and having all the epic battles they built towards, and skimping on everything else to the bare minimum.
Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

#94 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 14 May 2019 - 03:41 PM

View PostTerez, on 14 May 2019 - 03:21 PM, said:

It's funny to watch John Oliver predicting the demise of his network, though.

It IS, but since they have twelve spin-offs cooking, i'm pretty sure HBO will be ok.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#95 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 14 May 2019 - 04:00 PM

It wraps with someone on the Iron Throne, or the Throne destroyed and no one on it. The 7K either at peace, or still at some degree of strife. From HBO's standpoint it doesn't really matter who or how. Whatever they do is going to make some people happy and some people unhappy, but it will be AN End, if not quite THE END.

In the 3rd century of westeros there is only War!

Interned within the Weirwood throne, only the Raven Emperor protects the realm of men from the depredations of the forces of winter. However only the bravery and faith of mankind can protect them against the raids of the Iron fleet, the fanaticism of the God of lights follower's and the petty ambitions of the lords of the 7 kingdoms each of whom fancies himself a self-styled king!

#96 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 14 May 2019 - 07:52 PM

The Trident Rebellion is already on film.

Spoiler

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#97 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 20 May 2019 - 03:16 AM

Same. I hope GRRM finishes. He won't, but fingers crossed anyway.

There it is.

#98 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 20 May 2019 - 03:36 AM

That was the best episode this season and it was still marred by awful execution. Yikes.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#99 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 20 May 2019 - 04:44 AM

View Postamphibian, on 20 May 2019 - 03:36 AM, said:

That was the best episode this season and it was still marred by awful execution. Yikes.

Specifically, I'm talking about the moody slow shots that jar when compared to the hyper fast forward later. Also referring to Arya's dumb line about knowing a killer.

Also referring to the odd usage of Grey Worm, the most powerful person left after Dany. He goes from war master to prisoner escort to "getting all the brown people out of crazy white people land" in about fifteen minutes.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#100 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 20 May 2019 - 04:50 AM

There were like 3 things in this episode that made sense.

The death of Dany was well done, particularly Jon's feint.

Drogon melting the Iron Throne was good. I liked the contrast between Dany's approach to the throne and the version in her vision, in that she actually touched it, and it's good that she never sat on it. I'm assuming Drogon took Dany's body to Valyria.

Putting aside everything awful about Jaime going back to Cersei, Brienne filling out his pages in the Kingsguard book was good, and the last line was good. That scene probably meant more to book readers.

There it is.

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +
  • « First

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users