Malazan Empire: Spider-Man - Malazan Empire

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Spider-Man

#21 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 17 October 2018 - 01:04 PM

View PostCause, on 17 October 2018 - 07:53 AM, said:

I have unlocked the black cat stuff which honestly seems the most pointless quest of all.

That black suit she made you is pretty sweet though, right? I wore it for as long time (at least until I got the Stark suit from CivilWar/Homecoming)

No taskmaster yet which I find weird because I have unlocked a gadget I cant build until I get two challenge tokens.

Taskmaster will randomly grab you out of the sky at some point early on in Act 2 (after you meet Miles), after which those challenges show up.

I have noticed that sometimes when I level I get a bonus 10% damage or 10% health. Is this tied to completing collection milestones? I thought it was just certain lvls came with certain bonuses.

It's a normal game increase as far as I can tell that tails the end of XP increases, usually from main mission increases. The villains gets much harder as you progress, and the game knows it so you get swinging speed boosts, health boosts, ect. to keep you able to hold up under the pressure.

I struggled massively with the first major QTE with the helicopter. I had to stand up and walk right up to my TV to realise it was square, square, square and then circle. I don't know if the colour was different but I certainly didn't notice the circle. Maybe because its a circle in a circle. I was getting really frustrated.

I had that happen once where it was a circle, but looked like a square to me and I kept hitting square and dying...took me like 5 tries to really see it. If it helps, it's usually square to hold something back or attack, circle to use webbing to do something, and you may or may not have encountered the move that requires you to use the stick to maneuver a target into a circle. The lighting is important on the button pushes. Thankfully they are not super prevalent, just during big boss fights usually and usually only like 3-5 times.

Still enjoying the game. Though some stuff does seem to be there just to bloat the time of the game. When I had to track down a garbage truck and went to three locations before being sent to the right one. If it was early in the game and a kind of web swinging tutorial I could get it but at this point I was running around the city for the sake of it.

Yeah, some pointless busy work, but I get it for story factors to make it so Spidey is not some godlike invincible, you know?

Glad you're enjoying it though! Lots of fun stuff to come. The story only gets better and better.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#22 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 18 October 2018 - 05:38 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 17 October 2018 - 01:04 PM, said:

I struggled massively with the first major QTE with the helicopter. I had to stand up and walk right up to my TV to realise it was square, square, square and then circle. I don't know if the colour was different but I certainly didn't notice the circle. Maybe because its a circle in a circle. I was getting really frustrated.

I had that happen once where it was a circle, but looked like a square to me and I kept hitting square and dying...took me like 5 tries to really see it. If it helps, it's usually square to hold something back or attack, circle to use webbing to do something, and you may or may not have encountered the move that requires you to use the stick to maneuver a target into a circle. The lighting is important on the button pushes. Thankfully they are not super prevalent, just during big boss fights usually and usually only like 3-5 times.

Press RT to fire machine gun
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#23 User is offline   ansible 

• Group: High House Mafia

Posted 18 October 2018 - 08:19 PM

I thought the game was quite fun, and does almost everything very well. But even now, I would say the best part of the entire game is web-swinging through New York City. It simply does not get old.

I enjoyed the plot too, although some of the side missions were just filler. The Black Cat stuff is setup for a DLC chapter, I believe. MJ's so cute! But really, a well-told Spider-Man story. And you get to play it.

The combat is very similar to the Arkham games, as everyone said. The differences are minor. Spidey's arsenal of gadgets was frustrating, because you really don't need any of them. I don't see how any of them actually help you during the story. You just need to shoot webs from your wrists, which I stuck with the entire game. This wasn't bad, since you can do a whole lot with webs during combat, and if you're a decent player that's all you need. The skill tree however is required because it holds combat moves.

The grind comes at the end. I've done everything except all of the crimes throughout the districts, and it's making the game boring. Only two left, but having to stop like ~150 different crime missions and usually fight a bunch of dudes each time is just unnecessary.
We sail in and out of Time, then back again. There is only one ship, the captain says. All the ships we hail between the galaxies or suns are this ship.

#24 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 19 October 2018 - 07:45 AM

I had an annoying glitch, I cleared out a Fisk hideout and then on wave 6 one guy wouldn't leave the room. I could see him through the walls with R3 but could not reach him and so could not finish the hideout. Had to reload the mission.

I disagree with the gadgets. They actually do something. In batman I felt like 90% of the time the gadgets slowed down combat rather than really helping you fight. In Spider-Man impact webbing someone to a wall is an instant take down. Repulsor blast thing gives you room if your surrounded. Spider bots are great at opening up guys with weapons or shields to attack. Impact webbing is probably my favourite gadget though. Knock guys straight off roofs or into walls for instant KO.

That said I do abuse web-blossom. First suit of the game I bought and I have never looked back. Thing is ready to rock like every minute and can incapacitate several guys at once and generate a 20 hit combo and full focus bar to boot.

Finally found Task master. His challenges are more of the same, though I enjoyed the few I have done. However drone chase is like pigeon chase. Bomb disposal is just more spread out thug disposal. Scoring system is opaque so don't know how to improve my times. I ace some first try without trying and think I'm doing well on others and get the lowest score.

#25 User is offline   ansible 

Posted 19 October 2018 - 04:14 PM

View PostCause, on 19 October 2018 - 07:45 AM, said:

I had an annoying glitch, I cleared out a Fisk hideout and then on wave 6 one guy wouldn't leave the room. I could see him through the walls with R3 but could not reach him and so could not finish the hideout. Had to reload the mission.

I disagree with the gadgets. They actually do something. In batman I felt like 90% of the time the gadgets slowed down combat rather than really helping you fight. In Spider-Man impact webbing someone to a wall is an instant take down. Repulsor blast thing gives you room if your surrounded. Spider bots are great at opening up guys with weapons or shields to attack. Impact webbing is probably my favourite gadget though. Knock guys straight off roofs or into walls for instant KO.

Well, sure, to each their own. You can play with the gadgets, but they are optional filler because they are only used in combat. No part of the game requires any of them except a trophy and story events you can't control - it's not like Batman where you need to throw a Batarang to hit a switch out of reach. This kind of mechanic isn't even in the game. All of those combat mechanics come from default webs - webbing to wall, instant takedowns, giving you room when you're surrounded, (let's add) web throwing wrapped enemies into other enemies or off roofs. Webs give you massive flexibility in combat because a single shot stops a gunman for several seconds; very easy to disable enemies while you fight off others. Shield/weapon enemies are mostly a joke - either uppercut and aerial combo or slide between legs. There is just no incentive to vary the combat because you're given very specific ways to defeat every enemy using the default webs.

That said I do abuse web-blossom. First suit of the game I bought and I have never looked back. Thing is ready to rock like every minute and can incapacitate several guys at once and generate a 20 hit combo and full focus bar to boot.

Good. :lol: Nothing replaces that in my opinion. No Damage is useful for boss fights but otherwise there is no reason to use any other suit power, really, unless you want to.

Finally found Task master. His challenges are more of the same, though I enjoyed the few I have done. However drone chase is like pigeon chase. Bomb disposal is just more spread out thug disposal. Scoring system is opaque so don't know how to improve my times. I ace some first try without trying and think I'm doing well on others and get the lowest score.

Most of the scoring is time-based. For the bomb challenges, you just have to practice. It is the same route every time; practice it, and pretty much the first time you don't mess up it will pop. Same is true for stealth (much easier). All movements are predictable and repeatable - figure out where they path around and pretty soon you know exactly who is safe to take out and when. Drone challenges suck. Also notice you can get 6x Challenge Tokens from each one - the rewards stack, you get 1 for Bronze, another 2 for Silver, another 3 for Gold. So you don't have to hit Gold on all of them to have enough tokens to unlock everything.
We sail in and out of Time, then back again. There is only one ship, the captain says. All the ships we hail between the galaxies or suns are this ship.

#26 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 06 December 2018 - 11:51 AM

Well into the first act of Spider-Man.

I was a bit lukewarm on the game before starting. Thought the presentation was a little off, the story world seemed weird, didn't like the character designs, etc.

Having played quite a few hours now I'm fully on board. I still don't like Peter Parker's design, MJ being a journalist just seems idiotic, and it's weird that core Spider-Man villains apparently haven't become villains 6 years into Spider-Mans career... But it's so good. I feel like Spider-Man. The way he swings, the flourishes in combat, hanging upside down from a web, etc. It's a spider fans wet dream.

I've spent hours so far just swinging around, collecting stuff and listening to a podcast.

It pulled on my heart strings when the Stan Lee cameo popped up. I hope they'll continue to use him in cameos long after his passing.

This post has been edited by Alternative Goose: 06 December 2018 - 11:54 AM

#27 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 06 December 2018 - 02:41 PM

View Postansible, on 19 October 2018 - 04:14 PM, said:

it's not like Batman where you need to throw a Batarang to hit a switch out of reach. This kind of mechanic isn't even in the game.

Um. Yes it very much is. Late in the first act you get the electrified webs and use them throughout the rest of the game to reactivate dormant electric panels and the like.

Good. :) Nothing replaces that in my opinion. No Damage is useful for boss fights but otherwise there is no reason to use any other suit power, really, unless you want to.

Well, that's only true until the 2nd and 3rd act introduce Sable Agents. Sable Agents and Sable Agent compounds...they almost uniformly can deflect web-ups including Web Blossom. They need to be disarmed before you can web up most of them.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#28 User is offline   Blend 

• Gentleman of High House Mafia
  • View gallery

Posted 21 January 2019 - 09:46 PM

Bought this game last week, marathonned it in 2.5 days. I didn't platinum it, cause who has the time for that repetitive shit.

As noted above, the story is quite good. Mr. Negative was definitely a villain I didn't really know about, so to see that I was going to be dealing with either Doctor Octopus or Green Goblin or both, then have the main thrust of the storyline until Doc Oc goes evil be Mr. Negative and the Demons was a lot of fun and something new that I wasn't expecting from a Spiderman story.

That being said, this just felt like a mashup between the Batman games and the Infamous games to me. I almost never used any gadgets during actual combat, though I tended to use them more during the stealth parts at the beginning of base missions to take down most of the first wave. But if you learn what you need to do with each type of enemy using your regular webs, there's never any need/reason to pull out any gadgets other than the web slingers. Once you get the ability to yank enemy guns and shields outta their hands, it all becomes pretty laughably easy and button mashy.

Glad I played it, probably will never put it back into the PS4 now that I've beaten it, and probably won't invest in the DLC.
There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail - should we fall - we will know that we have lived. ~ Anomander Rake
My sig comes from a game in which I didn't heed Blend's advice. So maybe this time I should. ~ Khellendros
I'm just going to have to come to terms with the fact that self-vote suiciding will forever be referred to as "pulling a JPK" now, aren't I? ~ JPK

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users