Malazan Empire: Spider-Man - Malazan Empire

Jump to content

  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Spider-Man

#1 User is offline   BfuckinK 

  • Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Posts: 18,177
  • Joined: 27-March 08
  • Location:Lake Charles, Louisiana
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 07 September 2018 - 01:48 AM

The special console bundle looks pretty damn groovy! I like the controller a lot!

I honestly do hope that this game is great but I just keep thinking about the PS2 game. Fun for a bit then just boring as shit.
Drive by bye bye king on my dumb horse
0

#2 User is offline   Aptorian 

  • How you doin?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War
  • Posts: 21,519
  • Joined: 22-May 06

Posted 07 September 2018 - 03:25 AM

Spider-Mans received great reviews.

I'm postponing buying it though until I see Tomb Raiders reviews in a few weeks.

I'm not entirely in love with the footage I've seen so far. It looks good but not 550kr day one good.
0

#3 User is offline   Gintokian 

  • High Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Posts: 390
  • Joined: 20-March 18
  • Location:Quon Tario

Posted 07 September 2018 - 12:39 PM

I'm guessing this game is only available for the PS4?

I mean, I love my Switch but it's a shame, I keep missing out on so many good games.
In the language of flowers corn stands for trust.
0

#4 User is offline   Aptorian 

  • How you doin?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War
  • Posts: 21,519
  • Joined: 22-May 06

Posted 07 September 2018 - 01:47 PM

PS4 only. It'll get worse around 2020 when the big competitors jump another generation forward.
0

#5 User is offline   End of Disc One 

  • House Knight
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Posts: 1,744
  • Joined: 30-January 06

Posted 07 September 2018 - 01:49 PM

View PostGintokian, on 07 September 2018 - 12:39 PM, said:

I'm guessing this game is only available for the PS4?

I mean, I love my Switch but it's a shame, I keep missing out on so many good games.


I feel you. I'm always a generation behind on Sony consoles. God of War and Spider-Man are my two most wanted PS4 games.
0

#6 User is offline   Gintokian 

  • High Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Posts: 390
  • Joined: 20-March 18
  • Location:Quon Tario

Posted 07 September 2018 - 01:59 PM

Yeah, it's a hard life being a nintendo fan, especially now with the price of the Switch. I miss the old days when they sold their consoles at a loss to get people to buy them.
Maybe one day I'll save enough money for a PS4, although by then they may be another generation ahead.
In the language of flowers corn stands for trust.
0

#7 User is offline   Serenity 

  • Going somewhere?
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Posts: 1,332
  • Joined: 23-June 09
  • Location:London, UK

Posted 08 September 2018 - 09:44 AM

Well I've got a PS4 but I want a Switch :no
0

#8 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

  • [MAXIMUM DISGRUNTLEMENT]
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Posts: 2,844
  • Joined: 11-November 14
  • Location:Barnsley, UK
  • Interests:Bringing literacy to the folk of Yorkshire

Posted 09 September 2018 - 11:48 AM

One of my friends is playing it and he's said:

+ Good movement
+ Well written dialogue

- The combos are all basically the same and rely on single button mashing
Facebook - www.facebook[dotcom]/MaarkAbbottWriting / Twitter - @MAbbottWriting / I'm on Goodreads somewhere as well

XBL - Shoryukos / Steam - Angryμaark / PSN - AngryMaark

Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle
0

#9 User is offline   Cause 

  • God
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Posts: 4,735
  • Joined: 25-December 03
  • Location:South Africa

Posted 10 September 2018 - 09:41 AM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 09 September 2018 - 11:48 AM, said:

- The combos are all basically the same and rely on single button mashing


If this is true it would ruin the game for me. Although actually I remember complaining about the same thing in Arkham knight and I had a blast in that game. Knight gave you over ten gadgets but ninety perents of fights were punch, punch, punch, counter, takedown. X,X,X TRIANGLE, SQUARE+0.
0

#10 User is offline   QuickTidal 

  • Cap
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Posts: 16,667
  • Joined: 05-November 05
  • Location:Brooklyn
  • Interests:Being Awesome

Posted 17 September 2018 - 03:37 PM

I bought it.

It's damned great.

It's what you'd get if the Arkham Games were about Spiderman really. Same concepts at play.

And no the combos are not all the same button mashing. Especially because Spidey's health is so tenable and he's so vulnerable to projectile weapons. Every time I decide to take out one of Fisk's group of dirty criminals (marked with a crown on the map), it takes me a long time solely because they overwhelm you quite easily, and different dudes can do different shit to you. Unlike Batman where I found that if I just kicked ass back and forth across the screen I could win the day...in this I feel like I'm having to make serious consequential decisions as I'm fighting from moment to moment to make sure I'm using the space wisely, and taking out the thugs in the way they need to be taken out. There is also the added factor of things in the environment being important....Spidey can pull and swing bits of things from around him and help wit enemies, spin bombs they throw near him back at them, and pull things down on masses of enemies. There is simply tonnes going on in each and every fight to make it more than just button mashing....I mean there is still some button mashing, but I feel that's unavoidable in this type of game. Spider-Man tries very hard to make it interesting and fresh. there are tonnes of movies to do, tonnes of gadgets to collect for and build, and each suit you can get/make offers suit powers too, different ones form suit to suit. So far I feel it succeeds on all those levels.

Anyways, REALLY fun!

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 17 September 2018 - 03:38 PM

“Judge them for what they wished to be,” he begged the Father of Gods, “not what the world made of them.”
― Nicholas Eames, Kings of the Wyld
0

#11 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

  • [MAXIMUM DISGRUNTLEMENT]
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Posts: 2,844
  • Joined: 11-November 14
  • Location:Barnsley, UK
  • Interests:Bringing literacy to the folk of Yorkshire

Posted 19 September 2018 - 07:45 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 17 September 2018 - 03:37 PM, said:

I bought it.

It's damned great.

It's what you'd get if the Arkham Games were about Spiderman really. Same concepts at play.

And no the combos are not all the same button mashing. Especially because Spidey's health is so tenable and he's so vulnerable to projectile weapons. Every time I decide to take out one of Fisk's group of dirty criminals (marked with a crown on the map), it takes me a long time solely because they overwhelm you quite easily, and different dudes can do different shit to you. Unlike Batman where I found that if I just kicked ass back and forth across the screen I could win the day...in this I feel like I'm having to make serious consequential decisions as I'm fighting from moment to moment to make sure I'm using the space wisely, and taking out the thugs in the way they need to be taken out. There is also the added factor of things in the environment being important....Spidey can pull and swing bits of things from around him and help wit enemies, spin bombs they throw near him back at them, and pull things down on masses of enemies. There is simply tonnes going on in each and every fight to make it more than just button mashing....I mean there is still some button mashing, but I feel that's unavoidable in this type of game. Spider-Man tries very hard to make it interesting and fresh. there are tonnes of movies to do, tonnes of gadgets to collect for and build, and each suit you can get/make offers suit powers too, different ones form suit to suit. So far I feel it succeeds on all those levels.

Anyways, REALLY fun!


See now this is a good sell because Arkham was a good set of games.
Facebook - www.facebook[dotcom]/MaarkAbbottWriting / Twitter - @MAbbottWriting / I'm on Goodreads somewhere as well

XBL - Shoryukos / Steam - Angryμaark / PSN - AngryMaark

Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle
0

#12 User is offline   Aptorian 

  • How you doin?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War
  • Posts: 21,519
  • Joined: 22-May 06

Posted 19 September 2018 - 09:35 AM

But Maark, the batman games were also very popular so they're probably unplayable for you! 😉
2

#13 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

  • [MAXIMUM DISGRUNTLEMENT]
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Posts: 2,844
  • Joined: 11-November 14
  • Location:Barnsley, UK
  • Interests:Bringing literacy to the folk of Yorkshire

Posted 09 October 2018 - 06:14 AM

My Rocket League partner in crime finished it and got the Plat. His main criticism was that it became very, very repetitive and he gave it a 6/10 for that. Sounds like a passably good game but maybe one to look at when it comes down.

Also I'm not sure what the "hur dur popyoolarurty" argument really has to do with anything.
Facebook - www.facebook[dotcom]/MaarkAbbottWriting / Twitter - @MAbbottWriting / I'm on Goodreads somewhere as well

XBL - Shoryukos / Steam - Angryμaark / PSN - AngryMaark

Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle
0

#14 User is offline   Aptorian 

  • How you doin?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War
  • Posts: 21,519
  • Joined: 22-May 06

Posted 09 October 2018 - 09:29 AM

The intention was to make fun of your obstinate opinions on otherwise popular games.
0

#15 User is offline   Cause 

  • God
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Posts: 4,735
  • Joined: 25-December 03
  • Location:South Africa

Posted 09 October 2018 - 09:50 AM

Borrowed it. Not started though.

One thing I have noticed is that the graphics look funny. Cant put my finger on it. Too bright? Too fake? Not bad graphics but somehow they bug me.
0

#16 User is offline   QuickTidal 

  • Cap
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Posts: 16,667
  • Joined: 05-November 05
  • Location:Brooklyn
  • Interests:Being Awesome

Posted 09 October 2018 - 12:27 PM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 09 October 2018 - 06:14 AM, said:

My Rocket League partner in crime finished it and got the Plat. His main criticism was that it became very, very repetitive and he gave it a 6/10 for that. Sounds like a passably good game but maybe one to look at when it comes down.




If this was your friends claim, then they weren't using the game mechanics to their full advantage. The move-list--skill-tree that you build/open up combined with the myriad of gadgets alone should mean that very LITTLE gets repeated in each and every fight. In fact, it's so fun to sit on a rail and decide how to attack a certain group of guys: Trap webs, spider bombs, ect. and then combine that with all the various moves you can pull off...it's scads above the Arkham games on that alone.

And the story is nothing but top shelf stellar throughout.
“Judge them for what they wished to be,” he begged the Father of Gods, “not what the world made of them.”
― Nicholas Eames, Kings of the Wyld
0

#17 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

  • [MAXIMUM DISGRUNTLEMENT]
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Posts: 2,844
  • Joined: 11-November 14
  • Location:Barnsley, UK
  • Interests:Bringing literacy to the folk of Yorkshire

Posted 10 October 2018 - 07:44 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 09 October 2018 - 12:27 PM, said:

View PostMaark Abbott, on 09 October 2018 - 06:14 AM, said:

My Rocket League partner in crime finished it and got the Plat. His main criticism was that it became very, very repetitive and he gave it a 6/10 for that. Sounds like a passably good game but maybe one to look at when it comes down.




If this was your friends claim, then they weren't using the game mechanics to their full advantage. The move-list--skill-tree that you build/open up combined with the myriad of gadgets alone should mean that very LITTLE gets repeated in each and every fight. In fact, it's so fun to sit on a rail and decide how to attack a certain group of guys: Trap webs, spider bombs, ect. and then combine that with all the various moves you can pull off...it's scads above the Arkham games on that alone.

And the story is nothing but top shelf stellar throughout.


See I thought Arkham's combat, whilst occasionally annoying, was actually pretty good. But it wasn't just the combat his commentary was on, it was a bit of a blanket statement covering the entire game. As with most games, if there's a demo of it then I'd give it a whirl and see what I think, but I'm not going to risk £50 on something I'm not sure about.
Facebook - www.facebook[dotcom]/MaarkAbbottWriting / Twitter - @MAbbottWriting / I'm on Goodreads somewhere as well

XBL - Shoryukos / Steam - Angryμaark / PSN - AngryMaark

Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle
0

#18 User is offline   Cause 

  • God
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Posts: 4,735
  • Joined: 25-December 03
  • Location:South Africa

Posted 16 October 2018 - 02:04 PM

I have begun. Enjoying it so far. The XP is coming so slowly, which is a shame because I can see that the combat will really open up with a few more skills. Though cant spidey lift like 25 tons? Not sure why I am not just smashing regular goons! I like what I am seeing storywise. Its familiar to me and I can see enough notes to see where thing are going but at the same time Mister negative is not a villain I grew up with so we will see where that's going.

Very infamousy, their are a million collectibles but they are not meant to be hard to find or collect. Every collectible boosts your strength in some way. So when I came across a blip on the map that's on my way I take an extra ten seconds to collect it. I doubt Ill 100% this, who has the time for this crap anymore, but I can see why many say its an easy game to plat.
0

#19 User is offline   QuickTidal 

  • Cap
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Posts: 16,667
  • Joined: 05-November 05
  • Location:Brooklyn
  • Interests:Being Awesome

Posted 16 October 2018 - 02:46 PM

View PostCause, on 16 October 2018 - 02:04 PM, said:

I have begun. Enjoying it so far. The XP is coming so slowly, which is a shame because I can see that the combat will really open up with a few more skills. Though cant spidey lift like 25 tons? Not sure why I am not just smashing regular goons!


Always do you side missions, gang hangouts, and such extra stuff as you are main-missioning....whatever is on the map as you start (I think at the beginning it's just Fisk's gang hangouts, Backpack collectibles, and monument photography) is not the max that WILL be on the map as the game progresses. It's built to keep being added to. So take an hour or two to clean up all the backpack tokens, and another hour or two to do all the monuments. This will not only give you skill bonuses and such, but will add XP as well. At the beginning I think I assumed that I'd opened every map token mission with those three...but as you complete main story missions you will open up all KINDs of new map missions (Black Cat stuff, Taskmaster stuff, Research stuff for your friend Osborne, Gang Hangouts will change as you press too and be new ones, ect.)....so complete the ones you are given as quickly as you can as it is going to help with early XP earnings. That said, late in the first act of Main missions, you will start seeing 3000 completion for single story missions that will jump you a level in one go...Note: the Suits open up every other level (minus the special suits you get from like the Black Cat mission completion) so you can almost guarantee you will get a new suit every two main missions....and make sure you know that every suit has a power...and that power is interchangeable with older suits (so you can use the one you aesthetically like best, with the power you like best). Make sure to stick to updating your skill and gadget trees often too, as they will open up your moves AND cool stuff you can do with gadgets.

As well at some point in Act 2 of the gam main missions, you will open up Fast Travel, which helps when you don't want to swing all the way across the entirety of Manhattan to go from one end to the other.

View PostCause, on 16 October 2018 - 02:04 PM, said:

Very infamousy, their are a million collectibles but they are not meant to be hard to find or collect. Every collectible boosts your strength in some way. So when I came across a blip on the map that's on my way I take an extra ten seconds to collect it. I doubt Ill 100% this, who has the time for this crap anymore, but I can see why many say its an easy game to plat.


Most of the collectibles pay off in XP and special treats, and the later ones like the research tokens (Harry Osborne) and Challenge tokens (Taskmaster) are directly linked to upgrading gadgets...so they are important. The nice thing is the research ones give you a token just for landing at the station and opening the door (and two more for doing the research mission). But yeah, to upgrade all your gadgets in a timely fashion you will need to do these collectible and minor side missions.

The game is intuitively built so that nothing is frivolous or wasted time. Unlike in Arkham where some of the collectibles were just that, collectibles....in this game they almost universally serve a purpose and help you build your guy.

The good thing is that like you said, they are spread out so that as you do main and side missions, you can nab a monument photo or backpack if you want...I took some time to just complete those missions entirely across the map....but you can do it piecemeal too. up to you.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 16 October 2018 - 03:03 PM

“Judge them for what they wished to be,” he begged the Father of Gods, “not what the world made of them.”
― Nicholas Eames, Kings of the Wyld
0

#20 User is offline   Cause 

  • God
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Posts: 4,735
  • Joined: 25-December 03
  • Location:South Africa

Posted 17 October 2018 - 07:53 AM

A real time saver I have discovered, and it feels so spidy, is I have learnt I can take photos while web swinging. I don't even slow down anymore for the landmark missions. I must already have about 70% of the backpacks and have unlocked all the Osborne towers. I have unlocked the black cat stuff which honestly seems the most pointless quest of all. I have unlocked the science towers which annoy me because they take so long to do, and require minor load screens before and after starting, that they are the one collectible that seems to be too much effort. No taskmaster yet which I find weird because I have unlocked a gadget I cant build until I get two challenge tokens.

I have noticed that sometimes when I level I get a bonus 10% damage or 10% health. Is this tied to completing collection milestones? I thought it was just certain lvls came with certain bonuses.

I struggled massively with the first major QTE with the helicopter. I had to stand up and walk right up to my TV to realise it was square, square, square and then circle. I don't know if the colour was different but I certainly didn't notice the circle. Maybe because its a circle in a circle. I was getting really frustrated.

Still enjoying the game. Though some stuff does seem to be there just to bloat the time of the game. When I had to track down a garbage truck and went to three locations before being sent to the right one. If it was early in the game and a kind of web swinging tutorial I could get it but at this point I was running around the city for the sake of it.
0

Share this topic:


  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users