Malazan Empire: SE Just Posted His Original Map - Malazan Empire

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

SE Just Posted His Original Map In all it's low-pixel glory

#1 User is offline   Tatterdemalion 

• I sneeze warrens.
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Fantasy, cartography, creativity, finding a readership before I'm cast aside by history, roti.
  • Currently working on my Imbalance series.
    Web: joelminty.com
    Twitter: @JoelMinty

Posted 15 August 2018 - 04:17 AM

Attached File  Malazan Hand-Drawn by Erikson.jpg (125.07K)
Number of downloads: 30

All the basics, if hard to read. Still pretty cool. My own work started out with a map just like this.
Author of Purge of Ashes.
Sayer of "And Nature shall not abide."

#2 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 15 August 2018 - 07:20 AM

Cue D'rek arriving in 3 ... 2 ...
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#3 User is offline   Esa1996 

• Fist

Posted 15 August 2018 - 08:59 AM

Looks a whole lot like D'rek's map. Erikson has probably posted this or something very much like it somewhere before?

#4 User is offline   Malazano 

• Recruit

Posted 15 August 2018 - 08:59 AM

"Compiled by Imperial historian Duiker" :p

The map with the highest resolution

Map

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Malazano: 15 August 2018 - 09:21 AM

#5 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 15 August 2018 - 11:42 AM

'Leathers'? Heh.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#6 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 15 August 2018 - 12:25 PM

Ooooh, shiny!
Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#7 User is offline   nicetrout 

• Sergeant

Posted 15 August 2018 - 01:54 PM

oh this is so fucking cool love the map.

#8 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 15 August 2018 - 02:48 PM

Can someone remind me in Reaper's Gale
Spoiler

#9 User is offline   Tatterdemalion 

• I sneeze warrens.
  • Interests:Fantasy, cartography, creativity, finding a readership before I'm cast aside by history, roti.

Posted 15 August 2018 - 04:37 PM

Not sure, but recall this is the earliest, earliest map, apparently. So things could have changed.

#10 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 15 August 2018 - 07:19 PM

View PostEnd of Disc One, on 15 August 2018 - 02:48 PM, said:

Spoiler

Well, there is no Lether on this map, to be fair...

This post has been edited by Gorefest: 15 August 2018 - 07:20 PM

Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#11 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 15 August 2018 - 07:48 PM

Spoiler

Spoiler

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#12 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 15 August 2018 - 08:58 PM

Nailed it

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#13 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 15 August 2018 - 09:40 PM

We are in collective awe Posted Image

#14 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 15 August 2018 - 09:53 PM

Nice.

Obviously Jacuruku changed a lot. Assail changed a little but mostly the same shape. Drift Avalii is massive (I suspect out of scale compared to everything else). Lether ended up being much bigger. The north peninsular of Korel became Theft and Fist doesn't even exist (unless that's the big island inside the northern bay). Reacher's Ocean I think is in the wrong place (or rather SE moved it later on). SE also crammed the continents right together when they don't need to be that close (when you're working with an actual global layout, like we have been since Jonathan's original map way back in 2004, the oceans open up hugely).

The key things right now are the location of Genostel and Umryg (they were right next to each other!), Cabal (not far off, but west coast rather than south), Perish (the far west peninsular rather than the eastern) and the existence of a polar continent at the south pole.

Amusingly this map doesn't really help with some of the big remaning questions, in particular the coast and layout of Stratem, as the map cuts off the Sea of Chimes and most of the continent, and central Lether, as it didn't really exist and Steve just jumped from one end to the other (there's not enough room on this map for the Glass Desert).
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#15 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 16 August 2018 - 11:23 AM

View PostLuv2B_Sassy, on 15 August 2018 - 07:48 PM, said:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Also, I think,
Spoiler

This post has been edited by Puck: 16 August 2018 - 11:24 AM

Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#16 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 16 August 2018 - 08:58 PM

Changes to the fan maps that I think this map suggests:

Locations and shape of Genostel and Umryg (natch), shape of Western Seven Cities, locations of Perish, Cabal, Shal-Morzinn and Nemil.

Quon Tali should be slightly bigger. How much bigger is unclear, as this map exaggerates its east-west size which was clearly later rethought (as both the HoC and TBH/RotCG maps suggest). Maybe 5% or so.

Korelri/Stratem should be notably smaller (10-15% maybe). This map suggests that the scaling of Malaz Isle to Korelri in Stormwielder was correct after all.

Genabackis should be significantly bigger (like 15-20%), so Seguleh Island is due west of Kartool (as was also confirmed in Deadhouse Landing). This throws up a major headache in the sense that the previous arrangement allowed for a very satisfactory stretch of open sea (the Reach/Reacher's Ocean, including Laughter's End) between Korelri, Quon Tali, Genabackis and Assail. Making Genabackis and Quon Tali bigger and Korelri smaller throws this relationship into some confusion, in particular parking Seguleh Island very close to Fist Island (you can tell I've had fun shrinking and expanding the existing maps trying to make this work and it gets a bit urgh) and almost closing off the sea off NW Assail (despite this clearly being Reacher's Ocean in the Assail map).

Assail, or rather Bael, is bigger. Not massively, but we had the south coast immediately below the Assail map, whilst this one shows it some way to the south of that (and extending further south than Stratem).

Jacuruku is bigger (rivalling Korelri - but not Korelri/Stratem - in size) and further west (which tracks). I think SE's map probably places it too far west. Jacuruku isn't on top of Kolanse (as evidenced by the text or The Crippled God or Blood & Bone maps), but it certainly needs to be larger and more centrally placed in the White Spire Ocean.

Western Seven Cities is spookily on-point, but just needs adjusting to the configuration on this map (two large peninsulas with the Clatar Sea between them, Perish is the far NW peninsula).

Apparently there is a hitherto unknown continent at the south pole, with a large extension up towards Assail.

ETA: Close examination of the Kolanse/Estobanse area seems to confirm that the body of water on TCG map is not part of the Bluerose Sea, but instead a big lake. The original world map shows the exact same coast as the northern end of the map in TCG proceeding around in an arc and becoming the coastline we see on the edge of the RG/DoD Lether map. I always wondered if that was the case. Aha!

This post has been edited by Werthead: 16 August 2018 - 10:57 PM

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."

#17 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 16 August 2018 - 10:03 PM

Just realised this map reopens the Great Tulips Controversy. It was the text that was wrong all along!

#neverforget

#18 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 16 August 2018 - 10:36 PM

Posted Image

A cleaned-up (more or less) version of the map. Might not have landed some of those spellings.

#19 User is offline   Tatterdemalion 

• I sneeze warrens.

Posted 17 August 2018 - 04:01 AM

Hey, I came here to post that! Stealin' my rep!
*glares*

#20 User is offline   nacht 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 17 August 2018 - 04:04 AM

View PostTatterdemalion, on 17 August 2018 - 04:01 AM, said:

Hey, I came here to post that! Stealin' my rep!
*glares*

Ha ha. Why don't you please do the service of overlaying the warrens/holds/domains. :-)

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users