• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

DnD is on my Bucket list I have no idea how to play

#61 User is offline   Blend 

• Gentleman of High House Mafia
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 25 June 2019 - 11:19 PM

So my buddy who DMs when we aren't playing the main campaign created another offshoot one night when the player who plays Mara in the Grimm Determinations storyline from above can't make it.

The guy who plays Mittens McGlove has continued playing him, then we have Sgt Pepper, a teenaged Tabaxi Thief Rogue whose parents are affluent jewellers in the mostly human dominated noble quarter, and Glovesly MacMittens, a kilt-wearing Mousefolk Eldritch Knight/Rogue who is the son of basically the head of the underground, non-human mafia and who refuses to follow in the family business (thus becoming an Eldritch Knight) but consistently helps his father's efforts in and under town despite himself.

I have to say, my favourite character that I have played to date (besides Skrow who will always be my original), is Glovesly. He was created as a joke character meant to aggravate Mittens McGlove, but took on a life of his own. I built him as an archer who uses spells when in melee range - so keep him at range and he's quite effective with a shortbow. Put him in Melee and it's thunderwaves. Plus as a Mousefolk, he is considered tiny, so he can move through enemy squares. I cleared out an entire square of civilians very quickly by running into the center of the crowd (dodging most of the attacks of opportunity headed his way) and dropping one well placed thunderwave. Also turned back a boat of refugees (not realizing that they were refugees, thinking they were invaders) using similar tactics. Sold his dreams to the fey for a couple years though.
There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail - should we fall - we will know that we have lived. ~ Anomander Rake
My sig comes from a game in which I didn't heed Blend's advice. So maybe this time I should. ~ Khellendros
I'm just going to have to come to terms with the fact that self-vote suiciding will forever be referred to as "pulling a JPK" now, aren't I? ~ JPK

#62 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 26 June 2019 - 10:29 AM

I originally read that as 'effluent jewellers'. Good thing I did a double take. :)

Sounds like a fun character.

@SB

https://getyarn.io/y...15-406c554a592f

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 26 June 2019 - 10:31 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#63 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 26 June 2019 - 01:12 PM

View PostSlow Ben, on 25 June 2019 - 10:43 PM, said:

Hey, a D&D thread!

Been playing for a few weeks, even DM'd my first game last week. Safe to say i'm pretty much addicted.

I'll share my characters when i get a chance.

Awesome!

I'm playing a pathfinder elf wizard who is very dour and does no direct damage. Battlefield Control/Summons, and then his signature move is to work on his manicure while the meatshields clean up the fight.

I've also got a 5e Dragonborn Conquest Paladin who worships Bahamut, but was raised in an extremely insular society and views everything new as 'of Tiamat, and so it must be destroyed'.

I've also got a 5e Fire Domain Cleric in a Curse of Strahd game. Only a couple of sessions in, haven't really found his voice yet, but so far I think he's about 10 hours of the HeyYea song - specifically he tries so hard, and yet...

This post has been edited by Obdigore: 26 June 2019 - 01:13 PM

Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#64 User is offline   Blend 

• View gallery

Posted 26 June 2019 - 01:57 PM

View PostObdigore, on 26 June 2019 - 01:12 PM, said:

I've also got a 5e Fire Domain Cleric in a Curse of Strahd game. Only a couple of sessions in, haven't really found his voice yet, but so far I think he's about 10 hours of the HeyYea song - specifically he tries so hard, and yet...

Is Fire Domain from one of the new books, or is it homebrew?
There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail - should we fall - we will know that we have lived. ~ Anomander Rake
My sig comes from a game in which I didn't heed Blend's advice. So maybe this time I should. ~ Khellendros
I'm just going to have to come to terms with the fact that self-vote suiciding will forever be referred to as "pulling a JPK" now, aren't I? ~ JPK

#65 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 26 June 2019 - 03:35 PM

View PostBlend, on 26 June 2019 - 01:57 PM, said:

My mistake, its Light domain, I just essentially use nothing but fire spells :)

Hes a cleric of a god of smiths, just keeps preaching about the transformative and cleansing powers of fire.

This post has been edited by Obdigore: 26 June 2019 - 03:37 PM

Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#66 User is offline   Galactic Council 

• God
  • Group: Game Mod

Posted 26 June 2019 - 04:43 PM

View PostObdigore, on 26 June 2019 - 03:35 PM, said:

Hes a cleric of a god of smiths, just keeps preaching about the transformative and cleansing powers of fire.

Ah, very cool! I multi-classed into Light Domain on my wizard for the heavy armor proficiency!

Clerics are easily the game's most powerful class. They have some of the game's most powerful damage spells (second only to Druids and maybe Wizards) and easily the game's best healing spells (obviously!)

#67 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 26 June 2019 - 04:58 PM

View PostGalactic Council, on 26 June 2019 - 04:43 PM, said:

Ah, very cool! I multi-classed into Light Domain on my wizard for the heavy armor proficiency!

Clerics are easily the game's most powerful class. They have some of the game's most powerful damage spells (second only to Druids and maybe Wizards) and easily the game's best healing spells (obviously!)

I love clerics, but fyi light clerics only get medium armour proficiency not heavy!

#68 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 26 June 2019 - 05:23 PM

View PostImperial Historian, on 26 June 2019 - 04:58 PM, said:

View PostGalactic Council, on 26 June 2019 - 04:43 PM, said:

I love clerics, but fyi light clerics only get medium armour proficiency not heavy!

Correct, I had to take variant human to get that extra feat for heavy armor proficiency.

PS - Does someone need to lock the Galactic Council account until people learn to log out again? :p

#69 User is offline   Blend 

• View gallery

Posted 26 June 2019 - 06:17 PM

View PostImperial Historian, on 26 June 2019 - 04:58 PM, said:

I must have been thinking of the wrong archetype then - maybe Life? One of them gives you heavy armor, and that's the one I multi-classed my wizard into so that I could be a plate-wearing wizard.

View PostObdigore, on 26 June 2019 - 05:23 PM, said:

PS - Does someone need to lock the Galactic Council account until people learn to log out again? :)

Oops, I hadn't even noticed I was still logged into GC. Thanks for pointing it out!

#70 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 26 June 2019 - 09:26 PM

Well, haven't stopped by in a while, but we've had some developments in my group...

We saved Faerun from Tiamat while accidentally depopulating half of the Sword Coast and have now reached epic levels, which has not made us any smarter.

Our Mage's familiar turned out to be an MGTOW and incel.

We are now lost in the Realmspace (aka outer space) on a stupid ship we do not know how to navigate.

My Warmage knifed our Necromancer for shits and giggles and also because he's insane, which was when the Necromancer found out the party had been preparing a clone of him and had secretly once chopped off his hand while he wa sleeping and regrown it.

Bahamut hates us.

Hermes also hates us.

Zeus is on the verge of hating us because he liked our Druid a bit too much and Hera was being kinda passive-aggressive.

Same goes for Bacchus. Had to get out of the Olymp something swift, I'm telling you.

We also had to hightail it out of Sigil YET AGAIN.

Our Spellsword/Fighter/Whatever has done a Shurq and now has to feed her Ootooloo while not being really corporeal. Loki seems happy enought to help, though.

In fact, half the party are now the Chosen of one nordic deity or another. Except my Warmage, who is still the most powerful mage in the party and also still Quetzalcoatl's messenger boy.

Said Warmage can now rage AND cast spells while raging. Had to sneak a level of Barbarian onto his elven ass to achieve that. It's now a deadly Warmage/Rainbow Servant/Barbarian/Rage Mage build with a true neutral alignment that would be terrifying if I wasn't so incompetent at D&D.

Also, our Cleric's player has decided our humour has gotten too much for him (most of the group has read SE and Bakker, for starters) and left, and the campaign has... let's say, it took a turn for the dark and dirty right away since nobody who's left is holding back anymore.

Edit: Also, that wanker D'rizzt do Urden is still alive. Somehow.

This post has been edited by Puck: 26 June 2019 - 09:29 PM

Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#71 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 27 June 2019 - 12:40 AM

Hello, my name is Nah-ruk. I am a half-orc from a distant mountain clan. I have been sent as an envoy to try to improve relations between orcs/half orcs and the other races. It seems however, that I am not very good at my job, every time I try to peacefully talk with other races, my barbarian rage gets the best of me and my shield and sword end up covered in blood, viscera, and bits of bone and I have little recollection of the encounter.

I’m certain I was given the position due to my breaking with tradition and my preference of swordsmanship over brute 2 handed smashing!

Nevertheless! I shall not stop trying, and look forward to sharing adventures with you.

My favorite character I’ve played so far, yes I stole Nah’ruk from Malazan. He’s a dex based barbarian, which takes a lot away from the striking of Rage, but makes it a super tank. And since there’s only 3 of us and the other 2 are a squishy ass rogue and a Druid, I have to take a lot of hits. Probably going to take Bear Totem at level 3 to cut down the damage even more.

The newest character I’m working on is a Bugbear Paladin. He once was a noble, until he was CURSED!!!!!!
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#72 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 27 June 2019 - 07:43 AM

My little brother is an active DM, and he's invited all the siblings to a cabin/DnD trip in August. I have next to no experience with pen and paper rpgs, and am very excited. I've made an, uhm, wild magic sorceror half orc. He's the shaman of his tribe, but struggle to understand his magic, how it works and where it comes from. So he goes out into the world to figure it all out. It seems a simple, easily applied backstory, and one where I can - if I feel comfortable in the setting - take into more esoteric directions.

Do you guys have any tips for a complete novice? How do I play in a way that makes the game fun for everyone?
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#73 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 27 June 2019 - 07:51 AM

you should invite an irish drunkard to the game.
maybe in march

#74 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 27 June 2019 - 08:00 AM

View PostMacros, on 27 June 2019 - 07:51 AM, said:

you should invite an irish drunkard to the game.
maybe in march

hah, that can be made possible :)
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#75 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 27 June 2019 - 08:44 AM

Wait, a simple 2 hour flight and you can't get there until March? :)
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#76 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 27 June 2019 - 12:47 PM

View PostPuck, on 26 June 2019 - 09:26 PM, said:

Well, haven't stopped by in a while, but we've had some developments in my group...

We saved Faerun from Tiamat while accidentally depopulating half of the Sword Coast and have now reached epic levels, which has not made us any smarter.

Our Mage's familiar turned out to be an MGTOW and incel.

We are now lost in the Realmspace (aka outer space) on a stupid ship we do not know how to navigate.

My Warmage knifed our Necromancer for shits and giggles and also because he's insane, which was when the Necromancer found out the party had been preparing a clone of him and had secretly once chopped off his hand while he wa sleeping and regrown it.

Bahamut hates us.

Hermes also hates us.

Zeus is on the verge of hating us because he liked our Druid a bit too much and Hera was being kinda passive-aggressive.

Same goes for Bacchus. Had to get out of the Olymp something swift, I'm telling you.

We also had to hightail it out of Sigil YET AGAIN.

Our Spellsword/Fighter/Whatever has done a Shurq and now has to feed her Ootooloo while not being really corporeal. Loki seems happy enought to help, though.

In fact, half the party are now the Chosen of one nordic deity or another. Except my Warmage, who is still the most powerful mage in the party and also still Quetzalcoatl's messenger boy.

Said Warmage can now rage AND cast spells while raging. Had to sneak a level of Barbarian onto his elven ass to achieve that. It's now a deadly Warmage/Rainbow Servant/Barbarian/Rage Mage build with a true neutral alignment that would be terrifying if I wasn't so incompetent at D&D.

Also, our Cleric's player has decided our humour has gotten too much for him (most of the group has read SE and Bakker, for starters) and left, and the campaign has... let's say, it took a turn for the dark and dirty right away since nobody who's left is holding back anymore.

Edit: Also, that wanker D'rizzt do Urden is still alive. Somehow.

how can he cast spells while he is raging.

View PostMorgoth, on 27 June 2019 - 07:43 AM, said:

My little brother is an active DM, and he's invited all the siblings to a cabin/DnD trip in August. I have next to no experience with pen and paper rpgs, and am very excited. I've made an, uhm, wild magic sorceror half orc. He's the shaman of his tribe, but struggle to understand his magic, how it works and where it comes from. So he goes out into the world to figure it all out. It seems a simple, easily applied backstory, and one where I can - if I feel comfortable in the setting - take into more esoteric directions.

Do you guys have any tips for a complete novice? How do I play in a way that makes the game fun for everyone?

I am still pretty new to the game myself. But the first thing you want to do is work with your DM to create your character. Bounce ideas off your dm as they are the ones to facilitate the adventure.

Try and come up with some characters in your backstory. Im terrible at writing but doing this could give your DM ideas for plot hooks or other things to happen.

Do familiriase yourself with combat rules. Combat is a good portion of the game and you want combat to flow as opposed to being a slog where every persons turns is 5 minutes of thinking. (Pro tip roll your attack die at the same time as your dmg die, halves the time involved with rolling dice)

This post has been edited by LinearPhilosopher: 27 June 2019 - 12:56 PM

#77 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 27 June 2019 - 02:46 PM

View PostMorgoth, on 27 June 2019 - 07:43 AM, said:

The two biggest tips for a novice:

Know what you can do. Specifically what you can do on an action, bonus action and reaction and what these are. Understand the rules relating to your specific class features, and especially understand your spells. There is nothing worse than waiting 5 minutes for someone to decide what to do, only to then discover they can't do what they wanted to, so spend another 5 minutes thinking of another move. This really helps the DM out as well, it's hard to know all the classes and spells to the same level of detail as a player, having the player on top of what there character can do is a lifesaver. For a sorcerer that probably means: Understanding what your spells do, knowing the rule about if you use a spell slot as a bonus action, you can't cast other spells other than cantrips, and understanding how metamagic and wild magic work. Aim to declare your move within a minute if not sooner, faster flow will increase your engagement.

Second embrace the character, getting into the role is what makes DnD fun. Don't be looking for the best play, do the most in character play, it will be more fun and memorable in the end, even if you do die doing something stupid, people are much more likely to remember it!

#78 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 27 June 2019 - 06:52 PM

Don't forget the classic jokes, like saying 'I cast magic fissile' then throwing a chunk of uranium ore

OR 'Bigby's Denouncing Digit' and flipping the bird

OR 'Cloudkill' and wearing a Sephiroth costume

OR 'Summon Nature's Ally I' to summon a viper and have it help the rogue flank an enemy so you can yell SNAKE ATTACK

OR 'the entire monk class' hey ohhhhhh
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#79 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 28 June 2019 - 10:55 PM

Hey guys, guess what?

It’s DnD night!!!!
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#80 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 01 July 2019 - 06:14 PM

View PostSlow Ben, on 28 June 2019 - 10:55 PM, said:

Hey guys, guess what?

It’s DnD night!!!!

same

Share this topic:

• 7 Pages +
  • « First