Malazan Empire: GAME OF THRONES Spin-Off Series News - Malazan Empire

• 2 Pages +

GAME OF THRONES Spin-Off Series News THE LONG NIGHT and EMPIRE OF ASH in active development Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 10 July 2018 - 09:33 PM

HBO have confirmed they are shooting a pilot for a GAME OF THRONES spin-off show, and heavy rumours are suggesting they are close to greenlighting a second.

The first project is provisionally entitled THE LONG NIGHT and will be set in the run-up to the first war with the White Walkers. The focus in this series will be the First Men and the very primitive, Bronze Age-level civilisation they'd built up, partially in alliance with the Children of the Forest. It sounds like the show will cover the arrival of the first long winter, the arrival of the White Walkers, the founding of the Night's Watch, the War for the Dawn and the construction of the Wall.

Jane Goldman, who wrote the movie scripts for STARDUST, X-MEN: FIRST CLASS and DAYS OF FUTURE PAST (or at least the original story), KICK-ASS (the good one, not the sequel) and both KINGSMEN movies, is taking the lead on this project.

The second pilot is provisionally entitled EMPIRE OF ASH and will be set in a Valyrian colony city on the north coast of Sothoryos (the planet's equivalent of Africa), about 120 years before the Doom. This is a much more detailed show, planned to last at least 5 seasons of 10 episodes, with each season jumping forward in time so the last season will culminate in the Doom of Valyria and the destruction of the Valyrian Freehold. This show will focus on a multi-ethnic cast and will mix magic and politics, with a lot of dragons. The main character in Season 1 will reportedly be a Valyrian dragonrider who is disrespected because she was born in the colonies rather than among the pureblood families at home.

Max Borenstein (GODZILLA, SKULL ISLAND) is writing this script and apparently it's picked up a lot of favour at HBO. The only reason it's not been picked up already is that HBO really want Miguel Sapochnik to direct it, but he's already being courted by Netflix for their WITCHER TV series, which would clash with the dates, so they want to sort that out first.

Apparently the three (!) other projects they were looking at are now on the backburner until what they decide to do with these two.

This post has been edited by Werthead: 10 July 2018 - 09:34 PM

Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#2 User is offline   nicetrout 

• Sergeant

Posted 10 July 2018 - 10:01 PM

I don't know how other people feel about this but I think these are going to mostly less successful and I am not that interested in them. I love ASOIAF and tolerate Game of Thrones, but to me this rings of an errand that will fall flat. The reason people really like Game of Thrones is not the fucking setting, it's because of characters and the human drama of the story. I'm not saying that these new shows lack it but in my mind if the lesson somebody took away from the success of Game of Thrones is that they need a lot of swords or a lot of names with the letter Y in them, I feel like they are completely blind. That said, I'm sure these will get made and people will watch and like them. Heck maybe they'll be great and I'll eat shit, I just think this could be the start of a bunch of Game of Thrones clones that will not hold the interest of the original show.

#3 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 11 July 2018 - 02:38 AM

Is that like Montezuma's Revenge?
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#4 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 11 July 2018 - 02:42 AM

Yes, but with more warhammers.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#5 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 11 July 2018 - 02:50 AM

Posted Image

#6 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 11 July 2018 - 08:59 PM

View PostBriar King, on 10 July 2018 - 10:21 PM, said:

I don’t really give a flying fuck about either one of those. I just want Roberts rebellion.

Not going to happen. GRRM red-lined that idea (and Dunk & Egg) when HBO started talking to him about the spin-offs.

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."

#7 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 30 October 2019 - 09:36 AM

Looks like Bloodmoon is toast and a Fire and Blood adaptation is the new hotness.

https://www.news.com...177afd21e581042

How completely unsurprising that they would dump something completely new in favour of something else that has a lot of GRRM and friends writing to back it up. Especially after the misfire of season 8. Although maybe the word on the Bloodmoon pilot was that it tested badly and couldn't be redone. Or rescued.

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 30 October 2019 - 09:38 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#8 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 30 October 2019 - 12:30 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 30 October 2019 - 09:36 AM, said:

Looks like Bloodmoon is toast and a Fire and Blood adaptation is the new hotness.

https://www.news.com...177afd21e581042

How completely unsurprising that they would dump something completely new in favour of something else that has a lot of GRRM and friends writing to back it up. Especially after the misfire of season 8. Although maybe the word on the Bloodmoon pilot was that it tested badly and couldn't be redone. Or rescued.

I'd put good money on even Fire & Blood not seeing the light of day to be honest. This whole franchise is pretty poisonous right now, so unless this isn't happening for like 5 years, then I don't see it materializing past the planning stage. I could be wrong.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#9 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 30 October 2019 - 12:45 PM

Fire and Blood goes back to having author source material, so I think it may escape the poison so to speak. It's a ready argument that the show only went seriously off the rails once it ran out of books.
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#10 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 30 October 2019 - 12:48 PM

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 30 October 2019 - 12:45 PM, said:

Fire and Blood goes back to having author source material, so I think it may escape the poison so to speak. It's a ready argument that the show only went seriously off the rails once it ran out of books.

Ready and demonstrable!
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#11 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 30 October 2019 - 01:47 PM

True!

Also, as a by the by, I really enjoyed Fire and Blood (much more so than I did the last ASOIAF book) - so here's to hoping.

This post has been edited by TheRetiredBridgeburner: 30 October 2019 - 01:48 PM

- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#12 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 30 October 2019 - 01:53 PM

I'm comfortable stating that even with S8 and related kerfuffle, GoT as a franchise is still worth decadillions of dollars. I suspect they're just going to be verrrrry strategic about when/how the next iteration rolls out.

Reasonably they could wait to sync the next series up with the release of the next book. That gives them at least a decade.

THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#13 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 30 October 2019 - 01:55 PM

View PostAbyss, on 30 October 2019 - 01:53 PM, said:

I'm comfortable stating that even with S8 and related kerfuffle, GoT as a franchise is still worth decadillions of dollars. I suspect they're just going to be verrrrry strategic about when/how the next iteration rolls out.

Reasonably they could wait to sync the next series up with the release of the next book. That gives them at least a decade.

This is more in line with what I was thinking. Whatever F&B ends up being, I doubt we'll see hide nor hair of it till at LEAST a few years buffer from GOT S8. If they tried to drop this next year, it would probably pull a CAPRICA (Translation: It might be good, but it's too soon).

Sidebar: Did everyone know that BSG was 100% a Mormon thing? Just found that out.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 30 October 2019 - 01:56 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#14 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 30 October 2019 - 05:43 PM

From all I'm reading, HBO ordered 10 episodes of the Targaryen show straight to series, not just a pilot. It could still be killed as QT says (DC Universe and Disney+ have both been pretty savage with cancelling freshman shows mid-production), but WB/HBO appear to want to go the Netflix route of infinite original content.

#15 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 08 December 2019 - 02:40 PM

It appears to have been more to do with internal HBO politics. A new team came in and wanted to do their own GoT project and dumped THE LONG NIGHT (BLOODMOON was only ever a code name, probably the working title of the pilot episode) in a hurry as it was the creation of the old regime. This happens a lot in TV.

This is more in line with what I was thinking. Whatever F&B ends up being, I doubt we'll see hide nor hair of it till at LEAST a few years buffer from GOT S8. If they tried to drop this next year, it would probably pull a CAPRICA (Translation: It might be good, but it's too soon).

The F&B series isn't really Fire and Blood, although it takes bits from it. It's the story of the Dance of Dragons, the civil war that takes place between two branches of the Targaryens 170 years before the vents of the main series.

They're shooting the pilot next year, will wait for HBO's approval and then will go into production, so the earliest we'll see it is mid-to-late 2021, probably after LORD OF THE RINGS: THE SECOND AGE, WHEEL OF TIME and WITCHER Season 2.

Sidebar: Did everyone know that BSG was 100% a Mormon thing? Just found that out.

The original 1970s series was, yes. The 2000s reboot, not as much. Although Mormons in space is an oddly common thing (it's also a subplot in THE EXPANSE).

#16 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 23 July 2020 - 11:40 AM

HOUSE OF THE DRAGON confirms the Dance of Dragons setting. The first casting sides have gone out for Rhaenyra Targaryen and Alicent Hightower, the effective leaders of the two sides in the civil war.

Leaked information about the cancelled spin-off. Apparently it would have opened with a marriage alliance between the Starks and Casterlys and the first season would have featured a bloodmoon eclipse, followed by a meteor storm that triggered the Long Night (or been triggered by it). Intriguingly, there would have been recurring and regular Children of the Forest characters in the cast.

#17 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 23 July 2020 - 06:13 PM

View Post20 Days of Sheep, on 23 July 2020 - 03:55 PM, said:

Why is it cancelled?

The new incoming team at management HBO wanted to work on a different project (THE LONG NIGHT was commissioned by the previous regime). I also strongly suspect that the negative reception to the White Walker storyline in Season 8 of GoT made the popular appeal of an entire series based around the White Walkers dubious.

#18 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 05 May 2021 - 05:24 PM

First photos from House of the Dragon released. Discussion thread creating here: https://forum.malaza...ost__p__1434804

#19 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 06 May 2021 - 05:19 PM

Not scrolling up for fear of spoilers, so sorry if this question is answered up thread. Other than House of the Dragon, wasn't there another show (or shows) in development by HBO?

#20 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 06 May 2021 - 05:47 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 06 May 2021 - 05:19 PM, said:

Not scrolling up for fear of spoilers, so sorry if this question is answered up thread. Other than House of the Dragon, wasn't there another show (or shows) in development by HBO?

The Long Night got cancelled. At least 5 more in development though:

'Dunk and Egg project [...] based on Martin’s popular novellas [...]

Nymeria project: This revolves around the warrior queen Nymeria, a revered ancestor of House Martell who founded of the kingdom of Dorne (she became so legendary in the realm that two characters bore her name in the original series — Sand Snake Nymeria Sand and Arya's direwolf). Her story is set roughly 1,000 years before the events in Game of Thrones, making it much older on the Westeros timeline than any of the other previously announced projects in the works[...] could give an entirely new and redemptive take on Sunspear. The working title for the project is 10,000 Ships, a reference to Nymeria ordering all her ships to be burned after bringing her army from Essos to Dorne so there could be no turning back (Martin, a history buff, was likely inspired here by the legend that Hernán Cortés burned his 600 ships after arriving in the New World in 1519). If greenlit, you can bet on the team opting to use Nymeria – a name that's unique, strong and Thrones-y – in the title instead.

The Sea Snake: With a working title of 9 Voyages, this is from Rome creator Bruno Heller and follows Lord Corlys Velaryon, aka The Sea Snake, the Lord of the Tides and head of House Velaryon. [...]

Flea Bottom: This project is set in the notorious King's Landing slum of Flea Bottom[...]

GoT animated drama series: No details yet on the subject or style of this animated project, but an animated venture gives a couple of storytelling advantages: It could portray a lavish amount of spectacle beyond even GoT standards, and/or it could tell a story that spans a considerable stretch of time'

https://www.hollywoo...at-hbo-4153435/

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 06 May 2021 - 05:47 PM

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users