Malazan Empire: GAME OF THRONES Spin-Off Series News - Malazan Empire

• 2 Pages +

GAME OF THRONES Spin-Off Series News THE LONG NIGHT and EMPIRE OF ASH in active development Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 09 May 2021 - 05:08 AM

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 06 May 2021 - 05:47 PM, said:

View PostMalankazooie, on 06 May 2021 - 05:19 PM, said:

Not scrolling up for fear of spoilers, so sorry if this question is answered up thread. Other than House of the Dragon, wasn't there another show (or shows) in development by HBO?

... At least 5 more in development though...

I love that we'll see most of these before the books are done.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#22 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 05 October 2021 - 12:56 PM

Oh Hai Doctor.

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#23 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 05 October 2021 - 01:27 PM

Glad to see a hairstyle that stays fashionable over the centuries.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#24 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 05 October 2021 - 01:29 PM

View Postworry, on 05 October 2021 - 01:27 PM, said:

Glad to see a hairstyle that stays fashionable over the centuries.

I'm even more glad that D&D are nowhere near this spinoff...and that it's a COMPLETED story in the source material so no inventing as they go along.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#25 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 05 October 2021 - 01:38 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 05 October 2021 - 01:29 PM, said:

so no inventing as they go along.

We'll see about that!
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#26 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 05 October 2021 - 01:45 PM

View Postworry, on 05 October 2021 - 01:38 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 05 October 2021 - 01:29 PM, said:

so no inventing as they go along.

We'll see about that!

I mean, hopefully not.

I will say that I am MUUUUUUUUCH less interested in this whole world than I was before GOT aired.

Like I can think of a bunch of other show ideas HBO could fuel to be their next big thing...like I get why they want to go back to the GOT well because it succeeded for them so hard initially...but I don't know how invested people will be with a spinoff after how GOT ended...getting CAPRICA vibes here if I'm honest.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 05 October 2021 - 01:45 PM

#27 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 05 October 2021 - 02:03 PM

Walking Dead effect. Squeeze as much out of it as you can. I'm super cereal about it though. Until it disappoints.

#28 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 16 September 2022 - 12:49 PM

Well, what a difference a few years make eh? I was wrong about HotD (the F&B show as we referred to it above) as it doesn't just seem to be a success, it seems to be a smashing success.

3.5 years was all it took (and the fact that D&D are nowhere NEAR this show) for us to collectively allow ourselves back into this world. I never thought I'd see the day. My early posts on this thread are indicative of someone who didn't believe that the Westeros world was salvageable after GOT S8 shit the bed. I concede that was not the case and I was wrong.

HotD is spectacular to me, as noted in the other thread. And I feel like it could very much be an anthology show with a couple of seasons per "era" in the book.

So now where do the rest of the shows stand, with this first one being such a wild success?

Snow (GOT sequel) seems to be a go.

Is Dunk & Egg still on? That would be wonderful. I love those stories. Some of my fave set in Westeros actually.

#29 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 16 September 2022 - 02:48 PM

The buzz around HoD is really encouraging ( haven't watched any of it yet, it's upcoming).

Spinoff tv really does have the potential to self-immolate but it's not impossible. I do think HBO needs to be carefull not to overdo it, multiple series at the same time is just a bad idea (unless you're CSI, L&O, or Chicago) because fan overload or comparison just works against them (see Walking Dead). That said, setting shows in different eras thousands of years apart in the same world is a brilliant way to make it work. Keep the seasons tight, keep the runs down, only start a new series when another is ending, and it's a license to print money as long as the quality is good enough.

#30 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 16 September 2022 - 03:06 PM

View PostAbyss, on 16 September 2022 - 02:48 PM, said:

The buzz around HoD is really encouraging ( haven't watched any of it yet, it's upcoming).

Spinoff tv really does have the potential to self-immolate but it's not impossible. I do think HBO needs to be carefull not to overdo it, multiple series at the same time is just a bad idea (unless you're CSI, L&O, or Chicago) because fan overload or comparison just works against them (see Walking Dead). That said, setting shows in different eras thousands of years apart in the same world is a brilliant way to make it work. Keep the seasons tight, keep the runs down, only start a new series when another is ending, and it's a license to print money as long as the quality is good enough.

I know GRRM seems inclined to think that Westeros has it in it to be an MCU of sorts...interconnected but thousands of years apart.

So you have HotD (filing in Specifically Seven Kingdoms stuff), SNOW as a sequel to GOT, and then you could have a show about the First Men, and whatnot...and IF SNOW has more to do with White Walkers and that stuff (since Jon and Tormy were headed there in the final section of the show) then you can use the First Men show to interact with it in real time....

Just a guess.

Like finale of S1 of SNOW after they spend the season trying to find out what's going on and why there still seems to be WW's about (amongst other plots lines obviously, but mostly that the Long Night has not actually come yet...and is still imminent)...then they flashback to that scene from GOT where you see the Night King created....but instead of cutting away after his eyes go blue as it did in the GOT episode, you watch as he turns white and the Children of the forest let him off the tree and he promptly slaughters them....then you see his boots walking amongst the dead elves only to stop in front of a set of other boots...he kneels....and the camera pans up to reveal a White Queen, she grasps his chin and tilts his head up and she smiles....cut to black.

Like there are so many ways to take a sequel and sort of retcon, right the wrongs of S8...the world is wide open and there's TONNES of stuff they can explore that is all different.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 16 September 2022 - 03:12 PM

#31 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 16 September 2022 - 04:44 PM

Must happen - Brienne of Tarth: Attorney at Law.

Adele makes a cameo appearance and has a scene where Brienne and her twerk. In said scene, Ed Sheeran is in the background playing a lute, singing a traveling diddy about the "Tarts of Tarth."

Ultimate happiness for me would be this sends all the over reactionary fans back into their holes, where they perk their emotional widdle heads out now and again saying how much anything Game of Thrones sucks.

#32 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 16 September 2022 - 05:06 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 16 September 2022 - 04:44 PM, said:

Must happen - Brienne of Tarth: Attorney at Law.

Adele makes a cameo appearance and has a scene where Brienne and her twerk. In said scene, Ed Sheeran is in the background playing a lute, singing a traveling diddy about the "Tarts of Tarth."

Ultimate happiness for me would be this sends all the over reactionary fans back into their holes, where they perk their emotional widdle heads out now and again saying how much anything Game of Thrones sucks.

you joke, but i would watch the hell out of a GoT self-parody show.

#33 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 16 September 2022 - 05:41 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 16 September 2022 - 03:06 PM, said:

I know GRRM seems inclined to think that Westeros has it in it to be an MCU of sorts...interconnected but thousands of years apart..
...the world is wide open and there's TONNES of stuff they can explore that is all different.

All accurate. With a little thought this could be Star Trek/Star Wars level a few years from now, give or take a theme park.

...and now my brain is thinking about all the sick shite that a theme park could involve...

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users