Malazan Empire: GAME OF THRONES Spin-Off Series News - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1

GAME OF THRONES Spin-Off Series News THE LONG NIGHT and EMPIRE OF ASH in active development Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Werthead 

• D'ivers
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 10 July 2018 - 09:33 PM

HBO have confirmed they are shooting a pilot for a GAME OF THRONES spin-off show, and heavy rumours are suggesting they are close to greenlighting a second.

The first project is provisionally entitled THE LONG NIGHT and will be set in the run-up to the first war with the White Walkers. The focus in this series will be the First Men and the very primitive, Bronze Age-level civilisation they'd built up, partially in alliance with the Children of the Forest. It sounds like the show will cover the arrival of the first long winter, the arrival of the White Walkers, the founding of the Night's Watch, the War for the Dawn and the construction of the Wall.

Jane Goldman, who wrote the movie scripts for STARDUST, X-MEN: FIRST CLASS and DAYS OF FUTURE PAST (or at least the original story), KICK-ASS (the good one, not the sequel) and both KINGSMEN movies, is taking the lead on this project.

The second pilot is provisionally entitled EMPIRE OF ASH and will be set in a Valyrian colony city on the north coast of Sothoryos (the planet's equivalent of Africa), about 120 years before the Doom. This is a much more detailed show, planned to last at least 5 seasons of 10 episodes, with each season jumping forward in time so the last season will culminate in the Doom of Valyria and the destruction of the Valyrian Freehold. This show will focus on a multi-ethnic cast and will mix magic and politics, with a lot of dragons. The main character in Season 1 will reportedly be a Valyrian dragonrider who is disrespected because she was born in the colonies rather than among the pureblood families at home.

Max Borenstein (GODZILLA, SKULL ISLAND) is writing this script and apparently it's picked up a lot of favour at HBO. The only reason it's not been picked up already is that HBO really want Miguel Sapochnik to direct it, but he's already being courted by Netflix for their WITCHER TV series, which would clash with the dates, so they want to sort that out first.

Apparently the three (!) other projects they were looking at are now on the backburner until what they decide to do with these two.

This post has been edited by Werthead: 10 July 2018 - 09:34 PM

Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#2 User is offline   nicetrout 

• Corporal

Posted 10 July 2018 - 10:01 PM

I don't know how other people feel about this but I think these are going to mostly less successful and I am not that interested in them. I love ASOIAF and tolerate Game of Thrones, but to me this rings of an errand that will fall flat. The reason people really like Game of Thrones is not the fucking setting, it's because of characters and the human drama of the story. I'm not saying that these new shows lack it but in my mind if the lesson somebody took away from the success of Game of Thrones is that they need a lot of swords or a lot of names with the letter Y in them, I feel like they are completely blind. That said, I'm sure these will get made and people will watch and like them. Heck maybe they'll be great and I'll eat shit, I just think this could be the start of a bunch of Game of Thrones clones that will not hold the interest of the original show.

#3 User is offline   Briar King 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 10 July 2018 - 10:21 PM

I donít really give a flying fuck about either one of those. I just want Roberts rebellion.

#4 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 11 July 2018 - 02:38 AM

Is that like Montezuma's Revenge?
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#5 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 11 July 2018 - 02:42 AM

Yes, but with more warhammers.
CHASE: Paw Patrol is ready for action Mr Pust sir!
PUST: *pauses ranting* What does that mean?
ZUMA: It means let's dive in, dude!
PUST: What? What is a dude? WHAT DOES THAT EVEN MEAN?????
-The Malazan Book of the Paw Patrol

#6 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 11 July 2018 - 02:50 AM

Posted Image
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#7 User is offline   Werthead 

• D'ivers

Posted 11 July 2018 - 08:59 PM

View PostBriar King, on 10 July 2018 - 10:21 PM, said:

I donít really give a flying fuck about either one of those. I just want Roberts rebellion.

Not going to happen. GRRM red-lined that idea (and Dunk & Egg) when HBO started talking to him about the spin-offs.
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users