Career and Life Choices?

#41 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 01 May 2018 - 08:49 AM

I imagine a Tiste / Nico police partnership to go something like this:

Just another night out on the beat.

Or this:

The shenanigans those punk teenagers will get up to.

#42 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 01 May 2018 - 03:55 PM

I'm not saying he would cos I don't think he would but if it was a UK cop drama he wouldn't get away with it...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#43 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 01 May 2018 - 04:07 PM

Every now and again Amph you go WELL offside. This is one of those times. Take a step back man.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#44 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 01 May 2018 - 07:27 PM

Yah, sometimes people treat Nico like a cartoon version of himself. Does he sometimes wander the barren desert and see an oasis only to later realize he's been drinking gallons of sand? Yes, certainly. Does he occasionally fall off a cliff and scream "ahhhh-hoo-hoo-hoo-hooey"? Sure, that happens, unfortunately. Nobody's perfect. Have there been moments where he's swallowed a garbage can fish whole and then pulled an intact fish skeleton back out of his mouth? Well haven't we all?

But he's a real person with real feelings.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#45 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 01 May 2018 - 07:39 PM

Anyway fwiw I don't think Nico and I would work together. If we were over here, he'd not want to be without a gun and I couldn't be over there with one. 😀
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#46 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 01 May 2018 - 09:20 PM

Does he run face first into brick walls that have been painted to look like tunnels? It's been known to happen. Does he compose entire song and dance routines using his rib cage as a xylophone? That can't be held against him. We'd all do it if we could. Has he unwittingly bathed inside a large caldron over an open flame, ignoring the floating celery and carrot slices as he scrubbed his back, and then wondered aloud what smelled so good? Undeniably so.

But when you prick him he bleeds, like anyone.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#47 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 01 May 2018 - 09:55 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 01 May 2018 - 07:39 PM, said:

Anyway fwiw I don't think Nico and I would work together. If we were over here, he'd not want to be without a gun and I couldn't be over there with one. 😀

You're just not embracing the inevitable.

There's always time. Nico will have a career change eventually (unless the Apocalypse hits and he becomes the leader of the free world), we know he likes cops. You will probably be just a few days from retirement and you will have that one last job - probably a secondment to the US as your criminal nemesis who will have dogged your entire career will be tracked down there (I'm rooting for you to make detective). You won't be carrying, you'll be on Her Majesties business after all but you will need a partner to show you the ropes over there......! It could happen!!!!
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#48 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 02 May 2018 - 05:50 AM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 01 May 2018 - 09:55 PM, said:

View PostTiste Simeon, on 01 May 2018 - 07:39 PM, said:

You're just not embracing the inevitable.

There's always time. Nico will have a career change eventually (unless the Apocalypse hits and he becomes the leader of the free world), we know he likes cops. You will probably be just a few days from retirement and you will have that one last job - probably a secondment to the US as your criminal nemesis who will have dogged your entire career will be tracked down there (I'm rooting for you to make detective). You won't be carrying, you'll be on Her Majesties business after all but you will need a partner to show you the ropes over there......! It could happen!!!!

You're right. That would be awesome!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#49 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 02 May 2018 - 07:36 AM

Nico and Tiste

The crimebusters of the memes *badoo badoo badoo ba*

Nico and Tiste

Don't use pathos, tales to wave
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#50 User is online   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 02 May 2018 - 09:29 AM

Someone please do a pic of Tiste and Nico, with a caption:

"New partner? This guy? Only 3 days to retirement, I'm getting too old for this shit."

Of course Nico must have a 9mm ...

:D

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 02 May 2018 - 09:30 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#51 User is offline   nicetrout 

• Sergeant

Posted 04 May 2018 - 12:13 AM

I turned down the job. A somewhat resolution to the thread, although now I have no jobs

#52 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 04 May 2018 - 12:20 AM

View Postnicetrout, on 04 May 2018 - 12:13 AM, said:

I turned down the job. A somewhat resolution to the thread, although now I have no jobs

As long as it was an informed choice, it's just another step.

The important thing is to keep looking, and putting yourself out there.

One of the matras of the job world is a very simple "You'll never get if you don't ask". If I learned anything in my 30 years, that would be the biggest takeaway.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#53 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 11 May 2018 - 01:13 PM

Seriously considering saying fuck this to the construction industry.
Really want out of the normal grind, trying to figure out a way to make a living doing something else

#54 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 11 May 2018 - 02:19 PM

I was intending to add my two cents to this thread earlier but, as luck would have it, work got really busy. :killingme:

So, as someone who regularly works unpaid overtime, gets really invested in trying to change/fix/do things that make a lot of sense and would improve everyone's life in the long run despite the complete lack of political will inside the workplace to make them happen, and who generally just ends up stressed and frustrated: what you do for a living is perhaps only marginally more important than who you do it for.

A lot of businesses, especially larger companies, talk a good game about "culture". They know all the right words to say, and often what they are trying to achieve is a good goal. The problem is that very few of these companies are willing to actually invest anything other than talk in bringing about a good culture (and a lot of them, in practice, think "good culture" means no criticism of your workplace and only focusing on positive feedback - creating an echo chamber that fails to address genuine problems). If you are working for a terrible employer, they can make the best job painful. And if you work for a great employer, they can make the worst jobs tolerable. Hell, a lot of the unnecessary crap I put myself through at work is not for the sake of the company or the corporate values - it's for my colleagues. Of course, I'm painfully aware that in doing so I sometimes prolong the situation I'm trying to fix by papering over the issues with my own efforts, whereas it might actually be faster to get things fixed just to let it all burn to the point something has to be done, but I'm also a bit of a workaholic and a little bit pedantic so that's easier said than done for me.

That being the case, if you're the type of person who can avoid getting invested in your work and just do the minimum you need to get through without hurting your colleagues' by letting them pick up the slack? Be that person. It's a lot easier, and you'll probably be happier for it. Else try to find a company where you can actually make a difference because it is honestly incredibly frustrating to spend a good portion of your time pushing shit uphill just because someone won't spend 0.001% of the potential year's profits on fixing an entire department's worth of problems. Work-life balance is much easier to attain if you don't take work home with you (figuratively or literally).

Personal work martyrdom aside, Ment's advice two posts up is sound - it's hard to do but making sure you ask (whether that is putting in for a job you might not be entirely qualified for in your current state, asking for further training, a raise, or more resources, whatever) - and often tailoring the way you ask to the person you're asking - is really important in work. As is being able to sell yourself and draw attention to your achievements and skills without being an arrogant, self-aggrandizing ass about it (honestly it's better to let your work speak for itself if you can, but sometimes managers just won't recognise that you're going above and beyond unless you point it out to them). You also need to learn how to prioritise. Speaking from experience, it's really easy for me to get lost in projects and meetings if I don't aggressively manage my actual job, and it's something I have to keep an eye on constantly, though of course your mileage may vary.

Also be wary of which career you're pursuing if it could possibly be automated/unnecessary in the next decade or so. Not to say don't pursue it, but be training in another field/role that you can transition to if you end up being programmed out of a job. It's happening a lot and companies are in that phase where they think they can automate everything (even though they really, really can't - and don't do it properly when they try), at least right now while it's still the hot "new" thing, and it's a trend that is only going to increase in the short term - and ultimately may end up being universal once the technology actually gets there in another 20 years, but I'm thinking there will be a lull in the automation spree somewhere in the middle once the longer-term consequences of the current attempts are seen.

tl;dr - don't be like me. XD

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#55 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 15 May 2018 - 01:44 PM

I fucked around studying things that were interesting with no clear career path derived from them. (History degree.) it has helped some to get those jobs that just require you to have any degree, but that’s it. I’m stuck in a job a hate with no. Lear idea what to do now. Pick something to study that is going to lead directly to a job.
Error: Signature not valid

#56 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 15 May 2018 - 03:35 PM

Nobody mentioned a career in crime yet? I heard it is pretty lucrative.

[edit]I mean the good crime of course. Not the bad crime. You know, the stuff that get glorified in movies.

[edit]Also, if that falls through you can still sell your memoires for film rights and rake it in that way. It is a path without drawbacks.

This post has been edited by Gorefest: 15 May 2018 - 03:38 PM

Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#57 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 15 May 2018 - 07:54 PM

I've decided this is the the year (summer?) that I make the push away from site work if I can

#58 User is offline   Lady Bliss 

• Shameless Minister of Silly Catwalks of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 30 May 2018 - 09:51 PM

Great thread! We seem to have a disproportionate number of people doing legal work, as well as people that thought they wanted to be accountants.

So I never in a million years would have thought that I would end up in the career I have now. Honestly, rock star and/or hairstylist seemed the most likely careers I'd pursue, and that was going fairly well tbh. Then I moved to a different state and had to start over, and fell into IT work to make a living. I found I was well suited to it, and haven't turned back. Sometimes the long hours and abuse get rough, but I find that having a dark sense of humor combats the worst of it.

I agree with Silencer on looking for a career with longevity. Looking at the outlook of IT, I can see a lot of jobs dissappearing. I have a couple of backup plans in place, so I'm not terribly concerned.

Also... I'm totally down for the Tiste and Nico series. Abyss.. can you write something up? It's been a LONG TIME.

Or maybe that Paw Patrol plot you've been kicking around?

This post has been edited by Lady Bliss: 30 May 2018 - 09:52 PM

"If you prick us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? And if you wrong us shall we not revenge?" - Shylock

#59 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 31 May 2018 - 07:54 AM

View PostLady Bliss, on 30 May 2018 - 09:51 PM, said:

Great thread! We seem to have a disproportionate number of people doing legal work

phoenixwright.jpg
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#60 User is offline   Itwæs Nom 

• Inquisitor of High House Mafia

Posted 31 May 2018 - 08:35 AM

View PostLady Bliss, on 30 May 2018 - 09:51 PM, said:

Great thread! We seem to have a disproportionate number of people doing legal work

I used to sell weed from time to time 🤷
All things fall from kings to rose petals

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users