• « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Star Wars The Mandalorian

#261 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 12 February 2021 - 08:11 AM

I mean, everyone and their cat knows how protective Disney is of their image, and how little it takes to get the boot if you're being too controversial in your statements. See Roseanne Barr, James Gunn etc. From what I've read, Carano has been very controversial in her statements before, been warned, and continued doing it on a regular basis. I assume this was the final straw.

How hard is it to avoid doing nazi comparisons on social media? Even I, who by no means have a job in the public eye, am very careful about what I post, share and like on twitter and facebook. Not here though, you degenerates are all like Nazis to me.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#262 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 12 February 2021 - 08:54 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 11 February 2021 - 04:54 PM, said:

Oh, now I've heard whispers about the RANGERS role (which Cara Dune was meant to be the lead) is possibly being ported to bring in Timothy Olyphant's Cobb Vanth character as lead instead...and you know what? I'm ALL for more Timothy Olyphant.

I now see you as Maya Rudolph in The Good Place when she goes all drooly over Timothy Olyphant. This is not a comfortable image. :ermm:

View PostMorgoth, on 12 February 2021 - 08:11 AM, said:

Not here though, you degenerates are all like Nazis to me.

So are you feeling kinda Telemark or kinda Quisling?
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#263 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 12 February 2021 - 06:50 PM

View PostCause, on 12 February 2021 - 02:52 AM, said:

What did she actually say, everyone sort of just walks around it which is wierd. She said hating trumpists is like nazis persecuting Jews?

Anyway I’m actually disappointed that I have given five min to this but I find myself quite curious. That said she has a history of divisive tweets so I don’t think it was about one tweet in a vacuum

Edit- okay I see the link in this thread has the full post. I would say it’s a strangely hyperbolic and ignorant things to say but it’s not actually offensive? Although I guess she is comparing liberals or democrats to nazis?

She's been tweeting a ton of stuff for many months that have a big Venn diagram overlap with QAnon memes and talking points.

The usage of the persecution and murder of millions of Jews as a terrible metaphor for the pushback QAnon people are getting for saying the awful things they do was probably the tipping point for a few reasons. First, involving the Holocaust and Jewish persecution in something is really going over social lines, especially when it's done in a way that attempts to invoke sympathy for a group of people who are kinda white supremacists or at the very least uninterested in making life better for everyone. Second, she was already told by executives to stop doing it weeks ago and presumably by her agent and so on too.

Ultimately, it's her choice to keep tweeting this dumbass stuff and experience the consequences. I think it's trauma/abuse related as this seems like it's driven by more than "just stirring the pot" motivations or "I am genuinely trying to change the world" motivations.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#264 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 14 February 2021 - 06:37 PM

Either way, she had it made. Lucrative Disney deal, tons of new fans, and ok, her acting was nothing special but she was still a good character in Mando.

And she blew it all.. for what? Why feel the urge to dump anti mask, pro Trump, antisemitic shite on social media? Dont know what she feels she's achieved.

My daughter doesnt know all the details but she's sad she's leaving the show. Disappointing exit, and now the earlier Mandon seasons will have that slight taint.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#265 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 14 February 2021 - 06:49 PM

You could argue that, Carano was honest about her convictions and stood by them rather than pretend she was something she's not. A refreshing choice albeit hard to applaud given her beliefs.

#266 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 14 February 2021 - 08:01 PM

View PostAptorian, on 14 February 2021 - 06:49 PM, said:

You could argue that, Carano was honest about her convictions and stood by them rather than pretend she was something she's not. A refreshing choice albeit hard to applaud given her beliefs.

That’s like applauding the Jonestown inhabitants for ‘sticking to their convictions’ and drinking poison-laced kool aid for Jim Jones.

Like...just no.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#267 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 14 February 2021 - 08:09 PM

Why you got to be so prejudiced against suicidal cult followers?

#268 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 15 February 2021 - 01:48 AM

Well, if it's any indication of where her sympathies ultimately lie, she's signed on with Ben Shapiro to make a movie (apparently he's producing movies now).
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#269 User is offline   Briar King 

• High Fist
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 13 September 2022 - 07:08 PM

Goodness me consider me hyped. By far the best thing to come out of Disney Wars.
Drive by bye bye king on my dumb horse

#270 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 06 March 2023 - 04:53 PM

First episode was great! Some really nice moments that I liked were when Grogu and Mando were in Karga's office and Grogu aside from stealing some candies, did anyone else notice that he was using the force to spin himself in the chair?...made me giggle.

Also I REALLY like the Anzellans. Babu Frik is one of my fave Sequel-era alien creations, so seeing more of them was a blast.

Also Vane the pirate leader had EXQUISITE practical makeup....like that's some of the best prosthetics I've seen in the Star Wars Saga full stop.

Spoiler

Oh, and in case anyone wondered, I didn't miss it, the space Whales (Purgill) making their live action appearance was lovely too....no idea if this was just to bring them into live action since we will probably see them in AHSOKA since part of that story is the search for Thrawn and Ezra who were last seen in the company of said space whales.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#271 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 08 March 2023 - 11:04 PM

Spoiler

#272 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 09 March 2023 - 08:53 AM

View PostCause, on 08 March 2023 - 11:04 PM, said:

Spoiler

Spoiler

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 09 March 2023 - 08:53 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#273 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 30 March 2023 - 01:04 PM

Spoiler

#274 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 30 March 2023 - 03:51 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 30 March 2023 - 01:04 PM, said:

Spoiler

So good!

#275 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 01 April 2023 - 02:16 AM

So my buddies have two competing theories for the end scene.

Spoiler

#276 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 03 April 2023 - 12:47 PM

While that makes the most sense....there is also the fact that

Magistrate Morgan Elsbeth wielded that Beskar Spear that originated with Thrawn....so it needn't be as easy as "dissident" Mandos....BUT yes Gax Saxon loyalists working for Gideon would make much sense too.

Also, we should assume the shuttle was left derelict INTENTIONALLY since they could have just destroyed it...they WANTED someone to find it...which I guess could lead to your other theory too

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 03 April 2023 - 12:48 PM

#277 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 09 April 2023 - 07:20 AM

I have to say, the latest episode wasn't bad, but I just wish they would steer clear of celebrity cameos.

They don't add much of anything of substance and are, unfortunately, a distraction from the show itself.

There has been a LOT of criticism of this latest episode. I don't agree with a lot of it, but I do agree that it kind of ruins the immersion when instead of going; "Hey, that's a cool character!" I instead go; "Hey, that's Jack Black!"
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#278 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 10 April 2023 - 11:44 AM

View PostPrimateus, on 09 April 2023 - 07:20 AM, said:

I have to say, the latest episode wasn't bad, but I just wish they would steer clear of celebrity cameos.

They don't add much of anything of substance and are, unfortunately, a distraction from the show itself.

There has been a LOT of criticism of this latest episode. I don't agree with a lot of it, but I do agree that it kind of ruins the immersion when instead of going; "Hey, that's a cool character!" I instead go; "Hey, that's Jack Black!"

To be entirely fair, Jack Black as a flamboyant Captain on a pleasure world, and Lizzo as his Duchess of said world....worked because they were not playing that far from their normal personas....and that a Separatist bastion of droids and their human facilitator was hiding underneath a seemingly fluffy bunch of characters like that was pretty damn good.

I can see why people might not have liked it, but I felt it was just some fun in pretty much a bottle episode to save money. Most shows have this. PICARD just did one two weeks back too. It is what it is.

I think people are being exceptionally harsh on this season as a whole....they are complaining about it being about Bo-Katan VS Din....and quite frankly it shows you that the fans have lost the way....because Bo-Katan is ALSO a Mandalorian....and in S2 they had Boba Fett.....also a Mandalorian...I think people expect a straightforward narrative, and I don't think the show has ever been that really.

#279 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 10 April 2023 - 04:01 PM

Pretty sure Boba Fett isn't Mandalorian. Shares some aspects, but ultimately no.

https://movieweb.com...-a-mandalorian/

#280 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 10 April 2023 - 04:08 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 10 April 2023 - 04:01 PM, said:

Pretty sure Boba Fett isn't Mandalorian. Shares some aspects, but ultimately no.

https://movieweb.com...-a-mandalorian/

He considers himself one and is referred to as such in the OT-era. It's literally where we got the name from originally way back during the ROTJ theatrical run:

The first mention of Mandalorians came in Marvel's first Star Wars comic book series, with 1983's No. 68 featuring a backstory for Boba Fett that saw him as being one of a number of super-commandos protecting the planet Mandalore

During the development of The Empire Strikes Back, conceptual artist Ralph McQuarrie and production designer Joe Johnston created an idea for super commandos from the planet Mandalore. Eventually, this morphed into just Boba Fett, and he was turned into a bounty hunter.

And Jango Fett, his dad, was also one: His father fought in the Mandalorian Civil Wars, and Jango himself wore the iconic armor before it was passed down to Boba. So, ultimately, both Boba Fett and Jango Fett are Mandalorians.

Boom. Science'd

Share this topic:

• 15 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users