• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Technerds, assemble! Is this even a thing? General tech discussion too, I guess

#41 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 19 April 2021 - 07:13 PM

So, Community. A new one I'm hearing about.

Like Cameo, but for texts? AI bots/ML doing the work to make you feel special? Example - personal text from Kim Kardashian informing you about the benefits of her new lip kit? The Rock in your text group telling you about his discovery efforts in considering a run for president in 2024?

#42 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 03 May 2021 - 11:49 PM

Holy crap Bill and Melinda Gates getting a divorce. I bing'd it and the chip in my arm from the vaccine made the Windows 95 start up sound, so it must be true.

They met at Microsoft, right?

#43 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 24 November 2021 - 08:12 AM

Alright nerds, any of us upgraded to windows 11 yet?
I'm being offered it for free at the moment, better? worse? do we wait for more app compatibility?

#44 User is offline   Lady Bliss 

• Shameless Minister of Silly Catwalks of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 29 November 2021 - 11:14 AM

View PostMacros, on 24 November 2021 - 08:12 AM, said:

I'm being offered it for free at the moment, better? worse? do we wait for more app compatibility?

I’m always leery of upgrading before a couple revisions.
"If you prick us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? And if you wrong us shall we not revenge?" - Shylock

#45 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 29 November 2021 - 11:43 AM

View PostLady Bliss, on 29 November 2021 - 11:14 AM, said:

I’m always leery of upgrading before a couple revisions.

Agreed, let the early adopters flush out all the bugs. I usually wait 2 years.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#46 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 04 January 2022 - 11:47 PM

RIP Blackberry. Totalitarian regimes and data-harvesting companies everywhere rejoice.

BlackBerry phone to stop working today
The iconic BlackBerry phone “will no longer reliably function” from today, with fans mourning the devices on social media.

https://www.news.com...7e3b3f9f633f0e8

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 04 January 2022 - 11:48 PM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#47 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 05 January 2022 - 12:44 AM

I made the jump. It seems fine so far - the new look is a bit not-explained, but it gets along pretty good.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#48 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 05 January 2022 - 07:03 AM

View PostTsundoku, on 04 January 2022 - 11:47 PM, said:

RIP Blackberry. Totalitarian regimes and data-harvesting companies everywhere rejoice.

BlackBerry phone to stop working today
The iconic BlackBerry phone “will no longer reliably function” from today, with fans mourning the devices on social media.

https://www.news.com...7e3b3f9f633f0e8

poor ment.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#49 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 05 January 2022 - 08:09 AM

My thoughts exactly, can someone check in in him, maybe take him out for a beer to mourn?

#50 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 09 January 2022 - 01:48 PM

OK geeks!

We need a (cheap) camera that we can set up with a wireless 4g dongle.

preferably with night vision, and only activates when we log in so its no eating data broadcasting all the time.

alternatively - a snapshot every 20 mins would be fine, we dont need the images stored, just the latest image available remotely.

The problem we need to solve -

the ball dispenser at the driving range, its impossible to gauge how busy any given day will be and we need to know when the machine is getting low, without having to run up and check it all the time. so something we can log into on our phone to see a recent picture of it would be fine (camera would need a flash for late evening when dark then) or a live camera we can activate from afar, we don't need any storage, just a live feed when we log in. an unlimited dongle isn't horrifically expensive but if it was just a snap shot it wouldn't be too sore on data, s we could get away with a cheaper on with a data cap.

i keep getting directed to hideously expensive wildlife remote cameras when searching

#51 User is offline   Gwynn ap Nudd 

• High Fist

Posted 13 June 2022 - 05:23 AM

I can't remember which thread it was in, but a couple people here were posting about vertical mice. I'm have tendonitis from mouse use at work and looking to switch to a vertical mouse to help with that. Anyone have recommendations? Doesn't need to be ambidextrous and no preference on wired/wireless, as long as the wireless version has a built in battery recharged with USB and not an AA or AAA battery. Cost isn't too much of an issue as I'll be able to get work to pay for it, but gold plated would probably be pushing it.

#52 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 13 June 2022 - 11:38 AM

View PostGwynn ap Nudd, on 13 June 2022 - 05:23 AM, said:

I can't remember which thread it was in, but a couple people here were posting about vertical mice. I'm have tendonitis from mouse use at work and looking to switch to a vertical mouse to help with that. Anyone have recommendations? Doesn't need to be ambidextrous and no preference on wired/wireless, as long as the wireless version has a built in battery recharged with USB and not an AA or AAA battery. Cost isn't too much of an issue as I'll be able to get work to pay for it, but gold plated would probably be pushing it.

I really like using my vertical mouse.

I would go for the Logitech MX if I had work paying for it. I'm currently using a Levkey rechargeable one and it's good. I bought that one bc it is rather cheap and I wanted to test the concept before spending a bunch of money. I've liked it so much that it's been 7 months that I've been using that.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#53 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 05 July 2022 - 06:16 PM

Ok, along with the Minions challenge, what's the deal with the CrAIyon/DALL-E craze? I've seen some examples on another forum (generated from current events) and dang it's creepy af. What is it? What up?

#54 User is online   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 05 July 2022 - 06:45 PM

You know there's this thing called the internet right? You can look stuff up?
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#55 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 05 July 2022 - 06:56 PM

meh, I cherish my privacy, so run by you lot to see if you're knowledgeable before giving more personal data to Google ml. Also, it's a conversation starter; just fun stuff to bring up. No biggie, nothing serious, not meant to get panties twisted in knot. If it's annoying, ignore.

#56 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 18 October 2022 - 07:43 AM

Could do with a hand with a few aspects of my office rig.

So the basic layout is:

Left Monitor
Right Monitor
Personal Laptop
Work Laptop
Keyboard, Mouse, Microphone, Webcam (henceforth 'periphs')
Kensington SD4700P - all periphs are attached to this (henceforth 'box')

Left connects to Personal via HDMI port and Work via USB-C via the box. Right connects to Personal via USB-A adapter and Work via HDMI port.

Now, the monitors are both connected to switchers so that I can basically press one button and then switch between laptops. I am having a problem with the box and periphs though - the box only exports data via the rear USB-C port, and not the front one as well. Is there any sort of dongle I can get that will allow me to split or otherwise hub the rear C port only so that I can basically have both laptops plugged in and then whichever one is on is the one receiving periphs?

Also I am considering wiring an ethernet cable upstairs to ensure that certain, ah, things are easier and smoother. We have a virgin wifi hub downstairs; is it feasible to get another small hub purely for extranet distribution, and then run the virgin hub into this (and then everything up here into that hub, i.e. Personal, XBox and Switch)? Work laptop can stay on wifi.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users