• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Technerds, assemble! Is this even a thing? General tech discussion too, I guess

#21 User is offline   Gintokian 

• High Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 17 September 2018 - 08:08 PM

View PostAlternative Goose, on 17 September 2018 - 11:57 AM, said:

Aren't targeted ads better than random useless ads?

Some of them are pretty ridiculous too. Like I've clicked on a few anime articles and joined a church group on facebook so now I constantly get ads for Sexy Christian Asian Singles in my area ready to date me.
So the targeting can be a little crazy sometimes and rarely accurate to what you really want.

I mean, I still clicked on it though...
In the language of flowers corn stands for trust.

#22 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 17 September 2018 - 09:13 PM

Yeah I got some atheist dating site popping up a few times once. I mean I'm married and Christian, but sure...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#23 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 17 September 2018 - 09:18 PM

Maybe stop browsing the internet, and either buy something or get out.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#24 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 26 October 2018 - 10:25 AM

Goddamn noisy popups are back. Nothing seems to stop them.

Found an article somewhere about Google having to "pause" autoplay or audio or some shit because apparently it was fucking with some web games. Well boo fucking hoo.

My opinion hasn't changed - if I want to listen to something, I will click on it. Opt-in, not opt-out. But yeah, that's not likely. Fuckheads.

It really messing with my chi when I'm trying to chill out after a shitty day/week and I can't listen to music and read websites without some shit popping up and clashing with the music.
And it's always really jarring, discordant audio too. Are they deliberately trying to shit me off?
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#25 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 26 October 2018 - 12:50 PM

Use uBlock Origin. I don't ever see popup ads.

#26 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 26 October 2018 - 05:41 PM

Ended up getting a couple of extensions from the Google store and am whitelisting sites like here and Youtube etc as I go.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#27 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 26 October 2018 - 05:50 PM

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 26 October 2018 - 12:50 PM, said:

Use uBlock Origin. I don't ever see popup ads.

I got this recently. Seems to be working quite well.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#28 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 28 October 2018 - 06:32 AM

So ... blockchain apparently ...

(still doesn't break it down enough for me, but it's a start)

Disclaimer: The preceding communication has been paid for by Reflective Venture Partners. This communication is for informational purposes only and does not constitute an offer or solicitation to sell shares or securities in any associated company. None of the information presented herein is intended to form the basis for any investment decision, and no specific recommendations are intended. This communication does not constitute investment advice or solicitation for investment. Futurism expressly disclaims any and all responsibility for any direct or consequential loss or damage of any kind whatsoever arising directly or indirectly from: (i) reliance on any information contained herein, (ii) any error, omission or inaccuracy in any such information or (iii) any action resulting from such information. This post does not reflect the views or the endorsement of the Futurism.com editorial staff.

https://futurism.com...hing-blockchain

Sorry, I don't know how to reduce the file size in Win 10, or even put an attached image into spoiler tags. :(

Spoiler

This post has been edited by D'rek: 22 March 2021 - 03:44 PM
Reason for edit: I gotchu fam

#29 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 28 October 2018 - 06:59 AM

Still a rather high "We, from Toilet Duck, recommend Toilet Duck" level.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#30 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 28 October 2018 - 07:38 AM

Yeah, hence my putting the disclaimer first.

Still, it beats "I'm (insert political candidate arsehole name here) and I approve this message".

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 28 October 2018 - 07:39 AM

#31 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 08 April 2020 - 07:42 PM

Looks like Zoom might need to set up a game night party chat in front of a congressional hearing soon. Seems like security and privacy is an afterthought any more. It's a "nice to have" feature, but not critical; to be added in a future incremental point release. Maybe they'll roll it out in version 1.4b over a down-time weekend.

Posted Image

#32 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 17 March 2021 - 03:02 PM

Hello chaps I'm after some advice. I live on the Isle of Man which is technically not part of the UK even though it kind of is in some ways - for example we still use 07- and 01- numbers for mobile/landline phones like the UK but we have different networks. All this to say that occasionally things don't recognise the region we're in.

A major bummer of an example is that our Netflix is mostly the same but a favourite of ours - The Last Kingdom - only has 1 season showing and there are currently 4 on Netflix.

I need a VPN.

We watch Netflix predominantly on the PlayStation - is there a VPN I can install on the PS4?
My other plan is to link the laptop to the TV and install an extension on Chrome. I used to use HotSpot Shield but that has changed a bit and doesn't seem to have the same options as before. I tried to set it to the US to check it but it didn't even find The Last Kingdom when I did that.

I guess I be could pay for premium but I'm not sure that's necessary.

Are there any good VPN extensions you recommend that can do what I need? I just really want to watch Uthred killing a bunch of fools.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#33 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 18 March 2021 - 11:29 PM

I use ExpressVPN when traveling, not sure about the PS4 part of it but should be good for the laptop hdmi cable option

#34 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 19 March 2021 - 02:31 PM

Just don't go with nordVPN or any of the free VPNs (if you aren't paying for a product you are the product). Try to find one that can actually prove they don't collect logs or share data (a couple of them have been subpoened by courts and had to demonstrate that they genuinely don't collect any logs).

Not sure if there is any way to install a VPN onto the PS4 itself, but lots of routers can be setup to use a VPN directly, or you can setup your PS4 to connect to the internet through your PC which has the VPN setup. Or you could get something cheap like a raspberry PI to go between your router and modem to do the VPN.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#35 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 20 March 2021 - 02:02 AM

What's wrong with Nord?

#36 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 21 March 2021 - 12:45 AM

View PostTsundoku, on 20 March 2021 - 02:02 AM, said:

What's wrong with Nord?

A few years ago one of their servers got hacked and their response was to shift blame and pay for a ton of Youtube ads to grab new customers rather than try and keep/win back their existing customers' trust. Plus IIRC there was a big hubbaloo a while back about how some of the features on their software get turned off if you turn off auto-renew (not when your subscription ends and you don't renew... as soon as you turn off the option for it to auto-renew like in a year from now). Also their advertising is really misleading, usually based around trying to fearmonger people that without a VPN they're at risk of having their bank details hacked, etc. It's just a shady VPN overall, doesn't give you much trust that they aren't secretly collecting your info for profit or surveillance or whatever.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#37 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 21 March 2021 - 01:47 AM

Oh, OK, did not know any of that. Thanks.

That's probably on me for not doing more research (which I usually do). Caveat emptor and all that. :p

#38 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 22 March 2021 - 03:42 AM

Mozilla VPN is probably good (or Mullvad — I think they're Mozilla's partner on the VPN service)

#39 User is offline   Cyphon 

• Cagey Bastard of TQB
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 22 March 2021 - 09:55 AM

Ah shit, guess I'll be changing from Nord then.

Admittedly I don't always have my VPN on, should probably change that.

This post has been edited by Cyphon: 22 March 2021 - 10:00 AM

Para todos todo, para nosotros nada.

MottI'd always pegged you as more of an Ublala

#40 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 12 April 2021 - 04:58 PM

So, Clubhouse. Ever give it a try?

Like sitting in on a massive conference call or more like an impromptu podcast?

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

9 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users