• You cannot reply to this topic

Happy 2018 and good riddance 2017!

#1 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 31 December 2017 - 01:26 PM

Happy New Year to the Empire!

Okay lets get it over with.

What are your New Years Resolutions? Come on. You know you have some! Even if you pretend you're above it. Do you have any new plans for 2018? Do you think your life is going to change significantly in the new year?

What did you think of 2017? Good? Bad? On a grand or personal stage.

--------

I finished my Library degree this year and spent most of the year unemployed and on welfare. Boy, that is an eye opener. Danish Welfare is not bad by global standards but getting by on less than a minimum wage in Denmark fucking sucks. I've experienced first hand the psychological and physical effects of the stress and uncertainty that comes with not having enough money and not knowing what the future holds.

Thankfully I've been in a intern program for the past 4 months at a library and I've gained a ton of practical experience. Within the next 2 weeks I will have a meeting with libraries boss and I may or may not get a time limited position which could greatly improve my financial situation. If everything goes as planned I might be hired full time before the new year is over. Maybe. If they have the money.

In terms of personal goals I started weightlifting again late this summer. I've lost about 20 pounds since October. My goal is to lose another 20 pounds before March. I've also made it a goal to broaden my cultural knowledge. I've begun to read all kinds of magazines at the library. From pop culture, to science, to fashion, to music and more. It's slowly increasing my over all interest in reading which has been at an all time low while I was at Uni.

As for New Years Eve, I have no plans. I've taken in my parents cat, this will be her first year in the big city during the New Years Eve bombardment. I am anxious to see how she reacts. Based on the fire works the past few days I suspect she will get scared by the big explosions but not really give a shit about the fire works themselves.

#2 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 31 December 2017 - 02:21 PM

Happy New Year to the Empire! :p

My year has actually been very similar to yours and so are my resolutions. Money troubles and weightlifting. I started lifting again at the end of July and have lost 9 kilos (that something over 19 pounds), and the resolution is to lose 15 more kilos (basically, what I'd gained in the past couple years while I was depressed) by the end of 2018, which seems like a doable goal.

I've been wallowing in some inbetween regarding work, never earning enough but not being unemployed either, but at some point this year I made the decision to first focus on my mental and physical health before trying to do everything at once like I usually do, because I knew I wasn't in the place I needed to be to work fulltime anyway. I think I am much closer to that now, so my goal for 2018 is to either find a fulltime job or (which I would prefer) get in enough work through freelancing to be able to support myself.

Some good points about 2017 were that I learned cooking properly and do so basically every day (which has cut down on the costs of groceries noticeably) and that my relationship with my mom has improved significantly. Not so good points.. everything not listed, so 2017 wasn't exactly my favourite year.

As to tonight, I'm going to be drinking tea and eating pizza with my best friend. Same as every year. Everyone laughs at us, but eh :D

I wish all the forum members the best for the coming year!
Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#3 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 31 December 2017 - 02:25 PM

Time to dig out last year's resolutions thread and see how I did.

Will return to edit this

ETA:
Last year's:

This year -

Master the use of my fancy new tablet.
Push on with the German
Drink less
Save money (drinking less would likely help with that)
Healthier diet, I'm fairly good with avoiding soft drinks and the like but crisps are still a major binge problem for me.
Build a driving range (this one sounds absurd but I think its a very viable business plan, we live less than half a mile from the golf course, and are right on the edge of town, so location is superb and the only other driving range in town closed last year after being damaged by a storm and the guy is having so much grief from local residents he's not going to re open)

Hmmm. I suppose overall this year I drank less, but I'd say that's a bit of a fail.
Dietary wasn't too bad until then last few months
Finance, I still spend too much on beer and impulse purchases
The only major success was I finally got planning permission approved for my driving range, like a few weeks ago.

So going forward into 2018 :

Yoga/Pilates/ some kind of aerobic exercise program
Improve my finances again

But the biggest target for me is to have the driving range up and running by the summer time

This post has been edited by Macros: 31 December 2017 - 02:30 PM

#4 User is offline   Coltaine - 

• First Sword

Posted 31 December 2017 - 05:48 PM

Happy new year to the Empire Posted Image

No real new year resolutions this time. Aside from maybe to go climbing more often. The plan for next year is to finish my master thesis (already nearly done) and to decide if I want to do a doctor's degree or find a job. And in case of option 2 to find a job as an environmental scientist.

Tonight I will be at the party of a friend. Lots of people, beer and we will make a Feuerzangenbowle (Transl. according to leo.org: mulled wine with a rum-soaked sugar loat lit above it). Most likely outcome: Something will catch fire and a lot of people will be drunk. :p

Have fun everyone!

View PostPuck, on 31 December 2017 - 02:21 PM, said:

As to tonight, I'm going to be drinking tea and eating pizza with my best friend. Same as every year. Everyone laughs at us, but eh :D

Also no bad way to start the new year. Don't forget to watch Dinner for One. Posted Image

#5 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 31 December 2017 - 06:02 PM

Happy upcoming New Year, peeps.

Drunk/Hungover Ment of tomorrow will be in a pensive mood and surely start a new Resolutions thread (digging up the old one in the process).

Overall, 2017 was decent. kept my job, got a raise (yay)

My elbow didn't heal properly, got a minor deformity now that'd require surgery to get it only partially fixed (boo)

Bought an apartment; can't afford to live in it; renting it out for what it's worth ( not sure how i'm supposed to be feeling about that...)

Things mostly moving in right directions, except when it comes to the non-existent personal life (which, as we've established earlier last month, doesn't bug me. But all the people bugging me about needing to have one DO big me)

For NYE plans: in about 4 hours we'll be polishing off a bottle of champaigne with my grandpatents over skype once New Years hits in UA. Then i'll head over to a friends' house for house party.

All the best, everyone!
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#6 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 31 December 2017 - 08:37 PM

Sitting in at home, eaten a good steak, drinking too much and debating what resolutions might be achievable. We both agree we are too fat and need to unhook ourselves from the internet to some degree. But can we be bothered????
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#7 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 31 December 2017 - 09:55 PM

Our dog is on his last days. His illness is getting the better of him, and we will have to say goodbye to him in the first few days one 2018. This year has been horrible for our puppy (he's 12 mins you), and I think that may be one of the key reasons my wife and I want to see the back of this year.

Bring on 2018.

Also, I don't do resolutions.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#8 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 01 January 2018 - 12:17 AM

Happy 2018 everyone!

2017 was wretched, so the only way is up!

This post has been edited by Gorefest: 01 January 2018 - 12:18 AM

Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#9 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 01 January 2018 - 01:35 AM

Happy New Year everyone!

2017 was ok-ish, here's hoping 2018 will be a big improvement.

Way to early in the morning to write about resolutions.

#10 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 01 January 2018 - 05:08 AM

Welp, it's 5am. I just got in from my shift where I spent it all on foot in a busy town centre stopping people from fighting and trying to drunkenly kick each other in, with no break for a meal or a poop. So right now my only resolution is to sleep (I've already covered the lack of pooping by having a monster dump before I left work).

Otherwise I think my resolution will probably be to exercise more. Cos I'm terribly unfit.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#11 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 01 January 2018 - 05:44 AM

This year I complete the orbital death ray.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#12 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 01 January 2018 - 06:04 AM

View PostAbyss, on 01 January 2018 - 05:44 AM, said:

Remember to put in those armoured grates over the heating vents.

#13 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 01 January 2018 - 07:12 AM

View PostBriar King, on 01 January 2018 - 06:25 AM, said:

My PS4 froze

Another victim of climate change.

In broad strokes, there was plenty of awful in 2017, obviously, but there were a few good personal things. I got a new (used) car. I got a job at an immigration law firm that's pretty fulfilling, if often frustrating. I briefly talked to Louie Anderson on Twitter. I didn't draw anything for the advent calendar, but I wrote a Christmas themed short story that got nothing but glowing praise from everyone. I met my best friend's kid for the first time. Most importantly, I made zero bad posts.

For 2018, I don't expect much good to happen, in the world or personally, but barring catastrophe I will be paying off my mortgage in July so that's something to look forward to before Old Scratch comes for me.

Anyway, I clearly spent too much time online in 2017, but that's how I know you guys are the best nerds on the internet.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#14 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 01 January 2018 - 01:29 PM

Huh, I seem to have accrued a ton of goals for 2018, after the way 2017 ended.

Having been on the brink of what felt like a split with my wife, I now have a different view on... many things. Mostly because I've looked at the way I handled things over the last couple of years, and realised that while I was concentrating on practical stuff that needed doing; the house, garden, kids, I was neglecting the most important part of my life.

So 2018 has got to be different. I'm not going to make a bunch of promises and then do nothing.

I've got to save, too. I really have a very short sighted view of life, and haven't done anything about future savings. I'm just going to put away as much per month as I can, and stop spending on all the random items for hobbies and projects that seem to keep me breaking even each month.

First plan though is a holiday. I want to get my wife on a decent holiday, however it happens.

Happy New Year all.

This post has been edited by T'rav Elar: 01 January 2018 - 07:38 PM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#15 User is offline   bubba 

• High Marshall
  • View gallery
  • Interests:5.3%
  • Kill all the golfers...

Posted 01 January 2018 - 05:31 PM

No need to be all passive aggressive. I said I would have the focusing array ready when all the parts arrived from New Egg. So you can expect it some time in the late fourth quarter. Maybe.

#16 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 01 January 2018 - 05:36 PM

Happy New Year to the Empire!

May this be the year we crush the other book forums under our heels!

Its not a new years resolution per se, since I have been working on it for a while already (poorly) but I hope to keep a journal for 2018 and beyond. It drives me nuts when I cant recall details, or when I can recall them but cant put them into context of time. Might also help with some introspection.

I also want to continue and improve my efforts to get healthier after my cancer scare. The cancer was not because I was unhealthy but its def usually an older person disease and sitting in the hospital with some of the other patients made me realize you have to look after yourself. 65 year old diabetics who have already lost limbs and are too unhealthy to risk surgery but are still eating sugar for example made me realize that on some level you have to be responsible for yourself.

#17 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 01 January 2018 - 08:18 PM

Fake resolution: drink less.

Real resolutions thread maybe tomorrow. Or whenever the room stops spinning.

The send-off to 2017 was fairly epic, though, so if the year will be as memorable as the past night, I'm looking at smth interesting in the making.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#18 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 02 January 2018 - 04:35 AM

View PostAndorion, on 01 January 2018 - 06:04 AM, said:

It’s only about the size of a small microwave, and any heat is void resolved. Battle stations are for people looking to put on a big show.

View PostBubba, on 01 January 2018 - 05:31 PM, said:

No need to be all passive aggressive. I said I would have the focusing array ready when all the parts arrived from New Egg. So you can expect it some time in the late fourth quarter. Maybe.

You do realize I’m just going to switch to manual drone targeting and then melt your tires, right?
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#19 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 02 January 2018 - 07:43 AM

View PostAbyss, on 02 January 2018 - 04:35 AM, said:

View PostAndorion, on 01 January 2018 - 06:04 AM, said:

It’s only about the size of a small microwave, and any heat is void resolved. Battle stations are for people looking to put on a big show.

If your heating vents are not too hot for a person to crawl in them, they are not needed. Also its clear the death star was an inside job. The exhaust port sucked in that torpedo at a right angle when the in fact an exhaust port should have blown the torpedo out.

#20 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 02 January 2018 - 12:27 PM

"The death star! It's gone from blow to suck!"
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users