Malazan Empire: Deadhouse Landing - the Abyssmal reading/JUST FINISHED IT! thread - Malazan Empire

• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Deadhouse Landing - the Abyssmal reading/JUST FINISHED IT! thread YYYYAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH

#101 User is offline   gandrin 

• Lieutenant
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Deciphering truth and escaping into fantasy

Posted 13 July 2018 - 05:12 PM

Abyss, on 13 December 2017 - 03:23 PM, said:

I'm pretty sure the ref to Das defeating the Seventh meant Rake.

As for Shear, her mask is described as being a half-mask, not the usual Seguleh full face thing, so as a starting point she's unusual, possibly a renegade or wanderer like some we've seen in other books.

Iirc the description of her half-mask included a ref to elaborate decoration, tho i don't have the book on hand to confirm.

IIRC the numbered markings are only for the first 100 or so, and below that they have stylized things. (Think about it...you cannot have 752 marks on a mask). I am remembering Iron Bars fighting some woman on a boat who was "among the thousand" or something. What did her mask look like? And those below 1000 would be less. My guess from the context of Shear being so disappointed is that she was among the 1000.

#102 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 13 July 2018 - 06:28 PM

gandrin, on 13 July 2018 - 05:12 PM, said:

Abyss, on 13 December 2017 - 03:23 PM, said:

I'm pretty sure the ref to Das defeating the Seventh meant Rake.

As for Shear, her mask is described as being a half-mask, not the usual Seguleh full face thing, so as a starting point she's unusual, possibly a renegade or wanderer like some we've seen in other books.

Iirc the description of her half-mask included a ref to elaborate decoration, tho i don't have the book on hand to confirm.

IIRC the numbered markings are only for the first 100 or so, and below that they have stylized things. (Think about it...you cannot have 752 marks on a mask). I am remembering Iron Bars fighting some woman on a boat who was "among the thousand" or something. What did her mask look like? And those below 1000 would be less. My guess from the context of Shear being so disappointed is that she was among the 1000.

Send and Thurule didn’t belong to the Hundred and both marked up their masks, so there’s precedent.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#103 User is offline   Tatterdemalion 

• I sneeze warrens.
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Fantasy, cartography, creativity, finding a readership before I'm cast aside by history, roti.
  • Currently working on my Imbalance series.
    Web: joelminty.com
    Twitter: @JoelMinty

Posted 03 August 2018 - 04:44 AM

I love browsing this forum after finishing a Malazan book - except it's infuriating that after reading the whole series twice I still don't remember enough to pull these theories together.

Why can't real life fuck off so I can take a year to read all the Malazan books in such succession that I KNOW EVERYTHING. It would feel nice.

Another great book. Love that final line. Lots of great action, references, and badassery.
Author of Purge of Ashes.
Sayer of "And Nature shall not abide."

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users